• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Ashhong

I know about the lactose intolerant thing, but that never applied to my family, friends, and myself. There is heart burn when we drink hard liquor though :(

What's everybodies spicyness levels at? I can't get past ghost pepper. I tried that shit with grilled chicken wings before...... Nope. Nah. Nuh uh. Okay, I'll try it again when it comes down to it, lol.

Never tried ghost pepper but I can't handle a full packet of that spicy ramen challenge thing

Never tried ghost pepper but I can't handle a full packet of that spicy ramen challenge thing

Which bag color? Black or red? The red is just nuh uh. There is literally no flavor to it unless you want to get rid of the spice by adding a ton of extras. The black version is decently flavored and the spicy level is good for me. It also depends on how you make them. Some folks dive right in and make them like regular ramen: boil water, add the noodles and seasonings, and wait it out. <- that doesn't work out. The instructions tell people to boil the noodles, drain them of water, put the noodles into a bowl or plate, and then add the seasonings. <- that makes it better. Some folks like to stir-fry it, but I haven't tried that myself.

I haven't had BWW in a very long while now. Some friends and I ordered the hottest wings (blazing) when we were about 1-2 years out of high school and we handled it..... Ok? I don't quite remember.

Izuna

Banned
Going to represent Indian and English culture when I say...

A good Chicken Madras is everything.

-

For Ramen, I don't appreciate it being spicy.

suzu

Ogqc9tL.jpg

I'm like 1~2. Sometimes 3 if I'm feeling brave.

Usobuko

Banned
I don't know what's going on in here but in terms of racism within the (East) Asian community, I've seen a lot of prejudice towards blacks, Indians and other South Asians, and sometimes even South East Asians. Basically, everyone with skin darker than them.

I'm a Chinese from Singapore and our population is like 70% Chinese, 15% Malay, 10% Indians and 5% others.

I found out really early in my teens people here like to punch down according to the culture they grew up with. If you played mmos frequently in South East Asia, you'll notice Singaporeans tend to band together in a guild whereas other South East Asia don't quite care where ya from.

There's plenty of Asians supporting white supremacy, especially when they still harbour an option in marrying them. It's only when reality sets in, they married another Asian instead then I find their views slowly to be more pro-Asian because their offspring are one.

Even then, Asians from developed nations still likes to punch down on non-developed ones.

hirokazu

Never knew Asian lactose intolerance was a thing. I literally drink milk every day and can have it with any meal. It's my water
I get bloated if I start drinking milk after a prolonged period of not drinking it. Other than that, I'm fine.

I've never tried ghost pepper either but I can do the spicy ramen thing. The red one is only about 9000 scoville though, and the black one half that. Pretty sure ghost pepper is in the millions on the scoville scale LOL. I suppose the quantity might make up the difference somewhat, I don't know.

The hottest thing I've ever had is some chicken wings off a street vendor in China. I have NFI what sort of spices they put in that thing, but it was beyond anything else I've ever tried, nothing else I've had is even remotely close. I could feel it going down and I could feel burning in my stomach for hours after. And I only managed a single wing.

I'm pretty average when it comes to spicy food. Even shin ramyun I need an egg in it to enjoy otherwise it's too damn hot.
I'm sorry to say, but that's sounds below average LOL.

Izuna

Banned
Spiciest thing I ate was... Burmese Curry.

One of the guys at a Sushi place I worked made repped his home country and I almost died.

I was their test subject for western fragility.

hirokazu

I put Kewpie mayo on my pizza when I make pizza. I suspect I'm about to be lampooned. >_>

Full disclosure: I also enjoy pineapple on pizza.

SystemBug

I have a serious question-

How do you confront casual racism in your friends? Or casual sexism?

I don't really know how to do it. Or if I should bother, because I don't think it's going to do anything.

I bet if I was a neurosurgeon from Harvard, they'd listen, but I'm just an ordinary person. What can I do?

imo you just have to be upfront about it sometimes. whats the situation like? sometimes you just have to read the room.

Izuna

Banned

I don't really know how to do it. Or if I should bother, because I don't think it's going to do anything.

I bet if I was a neurosurgeon from Harvard, they'd listen, but I'm just an ordinary person. What can I do?

Give them this look:

latest

Like, if it's a shitty joke or they think something racist is funny, check if they're sincere and watch them backtrack while they get annoyed. They'll get the picture eventually.

I try and point out how their views are wrong, and it's hit or miss. They "believe" that their views are wrong, but their anecdotes prove their views are right.

I don't try anymore and just leave them be to their shittiness. If they get in trouble for it..... Don't say I didn't warn them.

Moonkid

Depends. I find that being straight up and adamant sometimes works but some people take it personally. It's tricky, especially if it's not as simple as someone using terms like autistic as a pejorative.

Ashhong

Yea that really depends on the situation and your relationship with your friends. My friends and I joke that something they said was "racist" so often that I would probably have to sit them down and do a serious talk if I wanted to actually send a message

wandering

Banned
I have the reputation of being the “SJW” of my friend group (although we’re all pretty progressive anyway) so they don’t really try any shit around me. When something happens I just give a meaningful look or say “not cool.” I established pretty early on I had no patience for that kind of stuff.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I have the reputation of being the “SJW” of my friend group (although we’re all pretty progressive anyway) so they don’t really try any shit around me. When something happens I just give a meaningful look or say “not cool.” I established pretty early on I had no patience for that kind of stuff.

Sigh...don't get me started on SJWs....

I mean, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people? You can't have a whole group of warriors. You need wizards and rogues for the DPS, and for fuck's sake you need clerics. Everyone wonders why it never works...they never balance the party! (I'm totally a social justice cleric).

Tripon

I'll have to try Red Rock when I'm in Torrance next time. Lived there for about a decade, and my parents has a house about a block away from where this restaurant is.

Edit: Also been to Musha, Musha is a fantastic izakaya. If you are in the mood for Korean BBQ in Torrance, try Bull's BBQ. The cheapest option is like $15 and it has the best meat I eaten at a KBBQ.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bull-bbq-gardena

Ashhong

Yes, but I don't think I had the risotto. Now I wish I did.

They bring it out in a block of cheese and mix it up and serve it to you straight from the cheese. I could eat like just 3 orders of that and I'd be happy. It's so damn good

I'll have to try Red Rock when I'm in Torrance next time. Lived there for about a decade, and my parents has a house about a block away from where this restaurant is.

Edit: Also been to Musha, Musha is a fantastic izakaya. If you are in the mood for Korean BBQ in Torrance, try Bull's BBQ. The cheapest option is like $15 and it has the best meat I eaten at a KBBQ.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bull-bbq-gardena

The best meat? I haven't gone but I can't imagine it's better than like Park's BBQ, or even Kang Ho Dong. For AYCE though I'll give it a shot!

dramatis

Featuring Asian GAF's favorite thing

Smithsonian Night Market Celebrates The Art Of Asian Cuisine

If egg rolls and sushi immediately leap to mind when you think of "Asian food," Simone Jacobson would like to help you think outside the take-out box. As food curator of the Smithsonian Institution's IlluminAsia festival in Washington, D.C., featuring an Asian-style night market, she used geography as her guide to finding food that could represent the vastness of the culture.

Or, as Jacobson emphasizes, cultures. "It's really important that we broaden the definition [of Asia]," she says. "All these different regions show the great diversity in Asian food, so it's really 'cultures,' in plural."
It just so happens that the Washington, D.C., suburbs include a community of Uighurs from central Asia, and several restaurants have sprung up there in recent years. It's a cuisine known for its use of ingredients like mutton, dried fruits and root vegetables, all of which are typically found in Uighur polow, a classic rice pilaf dish incorporating lamb, carrots and onion with raisins, pomegranate and spices. It's one of many cuisines that will be highlighted at the IlluminAsia street food market on Oct. 14 and 15 on the National Mall, along with Pan-Asian bao buns, Tibetan momos, and Sri Lankan rotis.

Following a nearly two-year renovation of the Smithsonian's Asian art museums — the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery and the Freer Gallery of Art —director Julian Raby wanted to highlight the culture of food in the grand reopening event.

Around here, we have night market events every couple of months (626 Night Market, OC Night Market, SGV Night Market, etc.). It actually feels like they happen even more often than that because they are all relatively nearby, so it wouldn't be a problem to go to one that isn't in your immediate area.

The emphasis, of course, is not on historical or culturally accurate foods, though; it's more like an Asian-centric fair.

Top Bottom