• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disliked Mario game?

Rockondevil

Gold Member
3D World for me. I just didn't enjoy it as much as any other. I haven't played Odyssey but it doesn't look bad.

I also never understood the hate for Sunshine, I quite enjoyed it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
SMB1 and Mario 64 are the only Mario games I like

Super Mario World was pretty boring I guess so that

Jharp

Damn the hate for NSMB and 3D Land/World in this thread is crazy to me.

New Super Mario Bros U feels like a legit sequel to Super Mario World and is one of the best 2d platformers I've ever played.

3D Land and World are just sheer joy in game form. Both are so, SO fucking good.

Velius

Banned
New Super Mario Bros, the original game for the DS, is fantastic.

I think sometimes we forget that the trend started in some pretty noble roots.

For me I'd have to say my least favorite is NSMBWiiU. Not saying it's bad, I like it the least.

Top, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and Mario 3. Or World?

...oh god

deathsaber

Mario 64 for me. I didn't play it until after Banjo 1/2, Donkey Kong, Conker, basically late in N64 life. Games in 3D were not magical anymore by the time I played it and Mario 64 was super plain compared to other games later in N64 cycle.

The game just feels like "3D games, the Tutorial", to me and doesn't have a strong hook or cohesive identity for me. At least Sunshine has a unified theme, signature mechanic, far better visuals, and stiffer platforming challenges in the flud-less levels.

Setmeni

Odyssey, it was enjoyable for the first hour or so then just got super repetitive and felt like a collectathon.

zenspider

I know I am probably alone here but for me its Mario 64 because it changed drastically the design and the transition from 2D to3D was very bad IMO. Same with OOT.

First of all I hated the game pad I had to play with. Camera was also terrible. But the thing that annoyed me the most was the constant getting in and out of the game. Everytime you found a star it throws you out of the level and you have to re-enter again. Sometimes you were not even 20 seconds in found a star and you were out again....

Sadly they kept this scheme for a long time but I heard Odyssey finally fixed this.

Yeah I hated Nintendos transition from 2D to 3D.

You are not alone e my friend. There are dozens of us. Dozens! I had a very hard time with the transition to 3D as well. I had series playthrough marathons leading up to both SMB64 and Zelda OoT that exacerbated how dull I found the moment to moment gameplay.

Also, yes Odyssey does not kick you out when you find moons and it is a massive improvement.

00stevenm

Neo Member
Only count mainline games, I’d have to say Super Mario Bros. 2. They’re all good, some just less so than others.

Super Mario 64
Super Mario World
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2

manw20

Neo Member
Easily the New * series of games. They felt so uninspiring and I can barely recall anything of them even though I have beaten them all.

I don’t get the hate Sunshine gets. Probably my favourite Mario game of all time. I wish for a Swish port but I know it will never happen :(

88Titan88

Yoshi's New Island (3DS) is terrible. You don't even have to press start to notice, because the title music is already the worst.

Senrah

Neo Member
Sunshine. It controls the worst out of any Mario game, 2D or 3D.

Wh-wha...

You can say a lot of things about Sunshine, but it's a fucking masterclass in controls and move set.

On topic, I really don't like the "New" series. Bland and uninspired.

Teuoxton

When talking about the main games, SMB 2 (USA). Never felt like a Mario game to me. I'm in the minority who feels SMB 2 (JP) is the better game.
It wasn't a Mario game originally. Nintendo just reskinned Doki Doki Panic.
images

My vote goes to Mario is Missing!

MP!

3d world...
Camera was too decisive...
first mario Game I Just stopped playing without 100%ing

NSMB wii sucked too

I'm thinking I dont like mario games where you all play at the same time...

Super Mario Land, but that's more due to the GameBoy being terrible. More recently, I found 3D Land to be dull. I guess I don't like portable Mario...or Marios with Land in the title.

Never played Galaxy 1 or 2 or 3D world, but beat all the others. I really don't have a worst as i really enjoyed all of them. I can only really judge em based on how i couldn't wait to play again...

My fav in order..

Mario Sunshine: I'm a little shocked at the hate this game is getting, i remember being at work with my roommate back in the day (we worked at same place) and after work we would literally race in the house to and see who can grab the controller first, def had the most fun with this one.

Mario 64: what can i say, it was ground braking for it's time.

Mario Odyssey: Had a blast playing this one, but prob my least anticipated to get back on the controller. Great game though.

All the others... Mario 1 prob least fav, although i had fun with it as a kid.

Banned
The NSMB series as a whole. It's bland, has no memorable level design, has no memorable music other than the "BAH BAH"-fest, and feels like a chore to play.

VDenter

Banned
One of these...

Super Mario Land 1 & 2
Super Mario Bros 2 + Lost Levels
New Super Mario Bros series
Super Mario 3D World

Sunshine on the other hand is like the MGSV of Mario games. Completely misunderstood and a fantastic game mechanically.

Sunshine. It controls the worst out of any Mario game, 2D or 3D.

Well this is just objectively wrong......

120v

even though it falls somewhere along my all time favorites.... SMB2 USA

in the gist of it all i consider it a "real mario", so it has nothing to do with that. i just feel it has the worst platforming

chemicals

Every legit major Mario title is good. Even the very first Mario Bros. However... Have you ever played bootleg Super Mario 1 on the PC Engine? Now that is a bad Mario game.

McDuck

Neo Member
Sticking to the main series platformers...

2D:

The entire NSMB line. NSMBU is better than the others, but as a whole, the entries are uninspired. They are like little black dresses made by a talented seamstress. One can admire the craftsmanship to an extent, but the vision simply isn't there. This is not why people love Nintendo.

3D:

Super Mario 3D World.

The 3D Land sequel that we didn't need. First of all, there are camera and control issues, which shouldn't be a problem in a Mario game this far into its history. Second, the creativity, while better than the aforementioned NSMB line, is still not at the level of the best Marios. Lastly, the worlds (e.g. World Bowser) miss obvious opportunities for thematic tie-ins that would elevate the game as a whole. It all feels too disconnected. It's a good thing Nintendo did not go down this road again for Odyssey.

Zimmy68

Sunshine really turned me off. It was so unforgiving. Miss one jump with the FLUD and it was 15 minutes to get back where you were.
Galaxy got me back with a vengeance.

loudbill

Of the ones i've played, SMB 2 Lost levels. The placement of certain enemies and poison mushrooms is really unforgiving and honestly bullshit. It's not even an improvement on the last game.
I remember buying it on the wii store years ago, and i was so disappointed. It just felt like a shittier version of the first game.

This was honestly a tough one though, since every mario game ive played outside of that has been very enjoyable.

I hate the "new super Mario franchise".

People often complain about Nintendo using the same IP's over and over and over again and while that's true, I've remained a fan because the main entries in most of their franchise show more change, evolution and creativity than most of the industry.

Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Breath of The Wild. All of these games feel really different from each other. There is more difference between these entries in the same franchise than between 2 different franchises from some devs.

Same with Mario (sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World, Odyssey, etc).

But New Super Mario is just boring. The first game was Ok but every sequel feels like more of the same with A LOT of reused assets. Same worlds, same backgrounds, same music, same gameplay. I played New Super Mario on Wii and then on WiiU and aside from the Resolution and slight graphical upgrade they felt like the same game

It's not even an uninspired sequel of a cool and fresh take on Mario. It's basically just an HD version of the most bland version of the franchise

New Super Mario Bros, the original game for the DS, is fantastic.

I think sometimes we forget that the trend started in some pretty noble roots.

For me I'd have to say my least favorite is NSMBWiiU. Not saying it's bad, I like it the least.

Uhhh, is this bizarro world?

The first phoned it in, but the rest were progressively superior, with a few calling NSMBU the best ever.

radewagon

All of them. I've never really liked Mario's acceleration. The platforming always felt a little too slippery for my tastes.

TLZ

Banned
I wouldn't say disliked، but I'd say my least favorite is sunshine. There is something off about the brightness or contrast or colors that hurts my eyes. It's ruined my experience because I could hardly play it.

Super Mario 3D World is the standout for me. Objectively speaking, it's a great game but it's completely devoid of the elements of the "adventure" style 3D Mario games that I love.

Super Mario 64 will always be the definitive Mario title for me.

Gotta be SMB2. I know I played it but don't recall a damn thing about it.

Then Super Mario Sunshine for 3D. Damn, I WANTED so badly to like that game but I just...didn't.

I even want a remake on Switch to give it another try. I want to like it!

Razzorn34

Definitely Sunshine. It's the only mainline Super Mario game I haven't finished.

Man, so much NSMB hate. I guess people can't appreciate Mario's 2D platforming roots. I guess you can call it bland if you were clamoring for something brand new. But, there are few games that compare for challenging platforming though.

Super Mario Galaxy and SMG2.

Look, I tried playing them, but there was a reason I avoided the Wii like the plague—I f****** hate waggle/motion controls like the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

If they re-released it for the Switch and made motion controls optional, I’ll be happy to go back and try them again. Until then, they’re my most disliked Mario titles ever...

strife418

Neo Member
SMG1 and 2. I hate the small worlds design and how linear the game is. Lame story too and the base game is way too easy.

TriAceJP

How on Earth do people not like Galaxy?

People are crazy.

I'm going to also say New. I didn't like how they looked, can how they controlled, how they sounded...

Funny enough the only one I enjoyed to any extent was the 3DS one, which most people say is the worst.

EricB

Sunshine. Hands down.

+1 (more)

While I wouldn’t really say I actively disklike it, it is the only mainline Mario game I couldn’t bring myself to finish. It minimized the best Mario mechanics in favor of others that weren’t that fun, and it was too stuck on a style/world type (tropical resort) that doesn’t really appeal to me.

That being said, I’d definitely be down for giving it another go should Nintendo decide to greenlight a remaster or virtual console port.

Top Bottom