• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale [Up: Sony registers domain]

Come on, whoever doesn't think that Sony is just ripping off of Nintnedo is kidding themselves. That said, this will bomb on the market, Sony just doesn't have the same stable of characters that Nintendo has built up over the last couple decades.

SykoTech

I really don't understand why people are treating this with any sort of legitimacy. How does the whole thing not just scream "Blatantly fake game invented by a little site in an attempt to get attention and hits"?

- Every bit of news has come from one source. Nobody else has said anything about it.

- That one site acts like he's close to the development of the game, and talks freely about specifics of the game. How much sense does that make? If this was a real game that had yet to be announced, Sony would've told him to shut his trap by now, or at least told the guys making the game to stop talking to him.

- Despite being a secret rumored unannounced game, that site insists that you can give suggestions and feedback directly to the development team.

- Despite talking freely about the game, its name, and the characters and stages, that site has yet to provide a single video or screenshot of it, or even any sort of gameplay details.

Hey, I'll happily eat crow if it turns out to be true, I think a Sony Smash Bros. could be fun in the right hands. But right now, I'm calling this fake news by a guy who desperately wants people to look at his website.

I don't believe the stuff at Paul's News Network (especially not the updates), but the tweet from SuperBot and leaked picture of Sweet Tooth make it likely that this is legit.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Mario Kart sells a lot of copies, so Sony invested in the space.

Smash Bros sells 8 million copies, so Sony is investing in the space.

(I'm not accusing Sony of ripping off Nintendo, simply saying that it makes sense for first parties to invest in spaces that they feel are lucrative and not served on their platform)

Can't wait for Nintendo to tap into the TPS market with Gears of Wario to invest in a lucrative genre that generally isn't served on their platforms.

The Last of Us

Also, if this is real, day 1 for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mario Kart sells a lot of copies, so Sony invested in the space.

Smash Bros sells 8 million copies, so Sony is investing in the space.

(I'm not accusing Sony of ripping off Nintendo, simply saying that it makes sense for first parties to invest in spaces that they feel are lucrative and not served on their platform)

Mario Kart is so successful that Sony has tried to get in on this every generation and twice so far this generation.

Come on, whoever doesn't think that Sony is just ripping off of Nintnedo is kidding themselves. That said, this will bomb on the market, Sony just doesn't have the same stable of characters that Nintendo has built up over the last couple decades.

A game like this will go a long way to re-engaging people with characters of old and we might see some of them make a return if demand is there. It also promotes other games. If I'm a member of Joe Public and I want to see Kratos kick the crap out of Nathan Drake, fine. But I'll also be exposed to Sackboy, Cole, Sir Daniel Fortesque, PaRappa etc.

For me, on paper Sony has more characters I care about, mainly because I was about eight when the PSX released.

NateDrake

I want to see previous questions. How can we know if the title fits the game in question if we don't know what the game is? This is in reference to the first question.

Moobabe

Not this again...

Oh yeah. So it will be a typical Sony press conference: Some nice flashy games, but nothing too surprising. I'm ok with that.

I think Vita will be where the surprises are at. PS3 is winding down. Vita needs some big guns and I reckon Sony have a few up their sleeve.

SykoTech

A game like this will go a long way to re-engaging people with characters of old and we might see some of them make a return if demand is there. It also promotes other games. If I'm a member of Joe Public and I want to see Kratos kick the crap out of Nathan Drake, fine. But I'll also be exposed to Sackboy, Cole, Sir Daniel Fortesque, PaRappa etc.

For me, on paper Sony has more characters I care about, mainly because I was about eight when the PSX released.

Can't believe you replied to a juvenile troll bait post like that, and in such a mature manner too.

Kudos.

Combichristoffersen

Same for me. I grew up with Sega, and was 11 when the PS1 released in Europe in 1995 (although I didn't get one until 1997). I just don't have any nostalgia for Nintendo's characters whatsoever, but I'll gladly take Drake, Kratos, Sir Daniel Fortesque, a Nissan Skyline, Jak and Ratchet any day. Throw in some third party characters like Cloud, Sephiroth, Heihachi and Snake to sweeten the deal.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I want to see previous questions. How can we know if the title fits the game in question if we don't know what the game is? This is in reference to the first question.

Presumably this was not the first page of the survey and other information was given beforehand. Are you saying you want to see it because it would tell you what the game is like, or because you're skeptical of the survey design?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I don't know about that. I think Sony have great choice of characters for their first game, so I think it might be successful but I could be wrong. If it's real then I am interested to give it a try and it might keep me busy until SSB4 release to the public.

Same for me. I grew up with Sega, and was 11 when the PS1 released in Europe in 1995 (although I didn't get one until 1997). I just don't have any nostalgia for Nintendo's characters whatsoever, but I'll gladly take Drake, Kratos, Sir Daniel Fortesque, a Nissan Skyline, Jak and Ratchet any day.

You are in luck! There'll be 30 different Nissan Skylines in the game!

The final boss will be Translator guy not giving a shit about any of your moves.

botty

Banned
I think Vita will be where the surprises are at. PS3 is winding down. Vita needs some big guns and I reckon Sony have a few up their sleeve.

Maybe this game will be available for Vita as well. This is the type of game that you could pop in and out of on the go... well, if it's like smash that is.

NateDrake

Presumably this was not the first page of the survey and other information was given beforehand. Are you saying you want to see it because it would tell you what the game is like, or because you're skeptical of the survey design?

Both. It would at least confirm the validity of the survey & shed new light on the game perhaps.

Combichristoffersen

You are in luck! There'll be 30 different Nissan Skylines in the game!

The final boss will be Translator guy not giving a shit about any of your moves.

Definitely needs to have Translator-San as a playable character or a boss. And a stage set on a giant enemy crab.

V_Ben

Banned
They really need to execute on the marketing for this one. Make an All-Star Dojo, just copy everything Nintendo did with Brawl. Also, get some killer third party characters. I'm betting Scorpion is going to show up.

Maybe this game will be available for Vita as well. This is the type of game that you could pop in and out of on the go... well, if it's like smash that is.

Hopefully. Though Sony haven't done Vita versions of some games that would really benefit from them (Jak collection for instance). Konami and Square are even doing Vita versions of their HD remasters!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The game has a chance as long as it's actually a good game.

As is typical, people pin Smash Bros' success on "Nintendo IP", but Smash Bros is actually an extremely good brawl/battle game. It's just plain fun to play and addictive.

The various Smash clones down through the years have, ultimately, had mediocre, uninspired content and play. Clearly, the thought behind them was "just make a vague clone of Smash Bros with some tie-in characters in it - it can't fail!" Except it always fails.

If Sony could step up and make a truly great party brawling game, it has a legitimate shot at success.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why did you take a photo rather than a printscreen?

And do you know the muffin man?

Not my photo. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was the one who leaked it to the blog. I'm just confirming that survey exists. I took the survey. Not the photo. I'm only talking about it because it's already leaked.

Also, I don't see how a printscreen would appear more legit. Wouldn't that be easier to fake perfectly in photoshop than an offscreen pic?

SykoTech

So it's real then? Neat. Looking forward to it, but I really hope they get a varied cast of characters beyond the typical PS3 reps. PaRappa is certainly a good start.

And they really need to drop the All-Stars part.

Hope its more like Power Stone

That'd be too good to actually happen.

'Title fight' is just the worst

Battle Royale sounds good. Needs some exploding collars though

fake edit: For the love of FUCK get rid of the 'All Stars' bit, just stick to PBR.

Kacho

Gold Member
The game has a chance as long as it's actually a good game.

As is typical, people pin Smash Bros' success on "Nintendo IP", but Smash Bros is actually an extremely good brawl/battle game. It's just plain fun to play and addictive.

The various Smash clones down through the years have, ultimately, had mediocre, uninspired content and play. Clearly, the thought behind them was "just make a vague clone of Smash Bros with some tie-in characters in it - it can't fail!" Except it always fails.

If Sony could step up and make a truly great party brawling game, it has a legitimate shot at success.

You are not wrong, but I do think that the power of Nintendo's mascots help push units.

TripOpt55

I can't wait to see this game. Like a few others in here, I enjoy Sony characters a bit more than Nintendo's so this will be cool. I don't mind the name, but I'd get rid of the All-Stars part. Just PlayStation Battle Royale.

Cels

And then 5 years later a western developer will create a ripoff called "Hunger Games"

edit - wow beaten by years

Hero

I can't wait to see this in action just to see how they're going to do it. I really have doubts that any team of theirs would really be up to the bar that Brawl set.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ellen (and Keats) should be in this game,Ellen is the strongest female Sony have anyway, she have tons of pokemons in her pocket and can create
life

no Ellen = no buy..do you hear me Superbot?.

Penguin

Not my photo. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was the one who leaked it to the blog. I'm just confirming that survey exists. I took the survey. Not the photo. I'm only talking about it because it's already leaked.

Also, I don't see how a printscreen would appear more legit. Wouldn't that be easier to fake perfectly in photoshop than an offscreen pic?

Also it appears that if you sign up for the site, you can still take the survey.. if you qualify.

Top Bottom