• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been nearly 5 years, but what are your thoughts on Cloud Atlas?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It was a flawed but great film which couldn't live up to its ambition. Personally loved it but understand it's not for everyone. The sextet by itself is almost worth the price of admission.

I feel like the Wachowskis are bad at directing beliveable emotional/dramatic scenes even with good actors. I think much of the first Matrix being kinda sterile/dreamlike works to their strengths.

I never saw it, if it is on Netflix or something I'll give it a watch to see what the hubub is all about.

Honestly my only understanding of the movie is the brief bit of Rick & Morty where Jerry is playing Tom Hank's role..

Still love it. Best damn tear inducing trailer ever.

I think the movie was already dead for you if "yellow face" was a problem.

Fucking political correctness gone wrong.

Next post this turd will be like "that man playing as that woman is a symptom of the patriarchal society inside Hollywood"

Back to marvel son.
Lol wut.

Osukaa

One of my favorite movies of all time. My brother, sister and I saw it in the theaters on opening day then we all went the very next day and saw it again. Its funny cause on the second viewing you notice so much more its truly a masterpiece if you ask me. As far as the whole controversy it didn't bother me one bit. It looked a bit off at time regarding the faces but I admire what it did as far as having each character being played by the same actor. I loved it how each of them were being reincarnated with different lives and it was interesting as to how many of them were being punished for the sins of their past and how some of them just because so evil. Then to have it end on a high note was a great feeling. The music score was perfect and I still listen to it when I need to mellow out and just relax.

Come on Gaf you know I speak the True True

Soundtrack is amazing, especially the OP's linked selection. Never read the book, really enjoyed the film. The yellow-face stuff is way overblown, in the context of the film and what the Wachowskis were trying to do it was fine except for the fact that most of it just looked bad. Asian Hugo looks like a demon.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
For all my claims of this movie having been phased out of movie conversation, I'm actually surprised that the "true true" phrase has persevered on here lol. Hell, I didn't even remember that specific term at all.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Really enjoyed it. So ambitious. Definitely muddled and some performances (and make up) better than others but thought provoking and entertaining. And that OST.

From womb to tomb.

DemWalls

Honestly, I don't really mind the yellowface instances in this movie since the make-up is just terrible across the board. I think "whiteface" Doona Bae is the worst of the bunch.

Loona

Loved the interconnectedness of it all and how it managed to retain tone in transitions between different settings. One of the greats IMO. I'm yet to read the book though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i thought it was a really interesting piece of filmmaking.

Tom Hanks as "crazy man" is the best Tom Hanks

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Someone already does

gSJHQ5yair6EM.webp

It really surprised me. I don't even know why I went to see it in theaters, the reviews were not very good, I never been a fan of the Wachowski's, plus it was almost 3 hours. But I still went god knows why, and maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much, my expectations were at their lowest but from the start I was hooked and couldn't believe it kept being good and by the end I was like holy shit, this was a great film! Super ambitious project, glad I saw it on the big screen.

I've yet to watch it again though, I have it on blu-ray but I never get the urge to rewatch it. I might read the book and watch it after.

Wasn't a fan of how every beat of story progression was edited into a montage... that's all it really remember.

Oh, and Tom Hanks poisoning some dude on a boat.

Saw the premier at the Toronto International Film Festival on my birthday in 2012. I'll never forget it.

Everyone was there - the entire cast, the directors - and a huge throng of film lovers. That's typical of TIFF - most of the people who go are really into movies, so in retrospect it didn't shock me that this was the prime venue for the film to get a ten minute standing ovation.

The film is probably my favourite film of all time "of this type". By this type, I mean that it requires a level of engagement and to some degree patience to really buy into the point, and to wait for the point to come. It takes a good while. Not all of my favourite films are like this. Some films are mindless fun, silly comedies, etc. But this film is very special to me.

Just coincidentally, I watched it for something like the 8th time a week ago.

Obviously it's been a very polarizing film. People seem to think pretty strongly about it, and the standard recommendation is that you need to see it at least twice to truly enjoy the message it has to offer.

My own view is that it is a masterpiece.

Setzer

Holy crap, its been 5 years already?!!? I need to re-watch this. Has one of my favorite trailers of all-time.

Moonkid

Really engrossing and emotionally captivating movie, even if the Sonmi chapter was butchered. The yellow face is inexcusable and I groan every time I see someone say "but they made X into Y" conveniently forgetting that they never used black face.

It was OK
Basically. Appreciated the effort, but too much "eh" to make it spectacular or even really interesting to think about after viewing. Total rental despite the great message.

I feel like the Wachowskis are bad at directing beliveable emotional/dramatic scenes even with good actors. I think much of the first Matrix being kinda sterile/dreamlike works to their strengths.
Definitely a keen observation, agreed. The soap opera is strong with their storytelling affinities.

Still pretentious and cringe-y as fuck for the race makeup. I really enjoyed the future korea scenes but not the rest of the movie. I will give props to the Wachowski's for trying something extremely ambitious, but ultimately they failed hard.

GunBR

Watched the movie for the first time two weeks ago and really liked

But the make up is just terrible. Jim Sturgess didn't looked so bad as korean (IMO) but all the other actors plus Bae Doona as an english girl looked like a cheap made for TV movie

mandiller

I loved the book but the movie was too different, and I felt, not coherent enough. That's the true true.

*Edit* Oh, the 'extended 5min+' trailer for it is the best trailer ever made. I enjoyed that more than the actual film. It's still the best movie trailer ever.

https://youtu.be/hWnAqFyaQ5s

Meier

Haven't seen it since the theater but I thought they did a very good job of telling the story which obviously is not a very easy thing to do. Unfairly maligned IMO.

I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago and greatly enjoyed it. I know I'll have to watch it again to understand most of it

Dice//

Banned
Ambitious film and it mostly succeeds. Each story was quite interesting and unique.

Solid flick, give it a watch if you haven't. At the very least worth seeing and judging for yourself.

Aurongel

I appreciated what it was going for and there are glimpses of genuine Matrix-level brilliance but they just dont pull it off.

Someday this film will be remade or reimagined and someone will get it right. The concept and themes are top of their class.

SirNinja

I had read the novel before watching the film. Thought the Wachowskis and co. were utterly nuts for trying to turn it into a film, but it far exceeded my expectations in the end. It's an excellent movie; it feels like it's way ahead of its time, and I hope it garners more attention in future film studies.

It also has one of the best trailers ever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's still just ok. I rewatched it last year, technically interesting, but otherwise boring.

I don't enjoy the movie too much. I thought the format was a significant step back from how it was told in the novel (large chunks per time period vs interspersed everywhere)

Top Bottom