• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

iamblades

What would be a good mid-entry level mechanical watch to start out with? I'd been thinking about getting a nice mechanical one for a while. I like to drool over Omegas and the less flashy rolexes, but cannot justify that kind of price tag for a watch atm.

Any decent mechanicals for less than $600-800 or so? A bunch cheaper would be nice as well, but I can't spend more than that atm.

Fusebox

Banned
OnkelC said:
Since the demographics in the OT are a bit more mature than other parts of GAF, let's share the love for fine wristwatches and timepieces.

I was first attracted to wristwatches when I saw this one in a documentary about 20 years ago:
1769927244_67a2e0637f.jpg

it's an Omega Speedmaster Professional, also called the "Moon watch" because this model was the first non-russian watch to go into space and even went to the moon with the Apollo 11 crew.

My old mans been wearing one of these for decades now, it's a bit trashed but it's never skipped a beat. He said I can have it but it looks like a dinner-plate on my skinny bitch wrists.

I've got an old Omega Seamaster automatic as well which is really nice but this Tag is my daily wearer.

waf2111.ba0806.jpg

I love the guilloché dial on my Tag, not really into collecting though. Just get one damn good watch and wear it till it stops, thats my bag.

edit - Hey great heads-up on the Bauer watch Jason, I'd never seen that!

https://specialopswatch.com/cart/products.cgi?detail=23

It'd almost look like a toy with that big font on the face but the strap is all run and gun, I want one. :p

sangreal

Stocka said:
This is one of the watches on the Tokyo Flash website that most appeal to me. Do you get used to it? As in does it get easy to tell the time without thinking too much about it?

Yeah, you get used to it really quickly. I can read it in the midst of heavy drinking no problem and it looks really nice in person. I get lots of compliments/questions on it

Desi said:
Oh wow. what is the exact name and model of that $1000+ watch?

That one is not too bad, actually... it's the Oris Big Crown and I think it's tag is $950 but I'm sure you can find one cheaper than that. It is slick though, I like it too.

Oh, found you a link: Woooooo!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Oooh, nice thread. Currently wear a Sector chronograph of some kind (which I've managed to misplace somewhere home and can't find) :mad: Planning on buying an IWC in a couple of months though. Been salivating over this one a couple of years now. :D

3719_028_l.jpg

Edit: current one

1104281.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
got myself a new toy recently, a modified Seiko divers watch:
smallP1030568.jpg

smallP1030567.jpg

lots of fun for around 170USD. It's a small substitution for this grail watch of mine, wich seems to get discontinued this year:
rolex.jpg

robot

I'm a huge fan of watches. I'm not that much into expensive ones tho - my favorite brand right now is Diesel since they have some really nice designs and a huge variety. I'd rather buy a few cheaper watches instead of 1 more expensive watch, but that's just me. I also own a Red Monkey custom made watch I got for my anniversary 2 years ago. The thing is a monster. I have a thing for bulky watches, not sure why.

screenshot10.jpg

Here's the Diesel watch I just bought a few months back:
DZ1120.jpg

OnkelC said:
Mang, Gentas are still ÜGLI!:lol

*sobs* That hurt, Onkel... *runs off crying about her taste in crazy watches*

For the record, I like classic looking watches also. I just adore that speedometer look in those Gentas though.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i think i finally found a watch i'd actually like to wear. it looks pretty nice in the photos i've seen online, and is very jewelry-like... but i'd really like to see it in person, too.

L11153340.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
eudaemonic said:
*sobs* That hurt, Onkel... *runs off crying about her taste in crazy watches*

For the record, I like classic looking watches also. I just adore that speedometer look in those Gentas though.
:lol no offense.

the Baume&Mercier Diver could be for you for way less dole:
bmclose.jpg

OnkelC said:
:lol no offense.

the Baume&Mercier Diver could be for you for way less dole:
bmclose.jpg

Mmmm... the face reminds me of custard.... yummy...

Oh, and +1 for finding something with a leather band.

Kabouter

New Seiko looks good OnkelC.

Personally, I'd like one of these someday:
blancpain-1735.jpg

Something tells me though, it ain't happening.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I wear this one for shits and giggles.
RAD001_m.jpg

I also have this one in blue.
ELE010_L1.jpg

And this one:
ELE008_m.jpg

See link properties to see where to get them.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
kab, yeah, sure:lol How about buying a nice 10-story building before that watch...

JodyAnthony said:
i check the time on my cell phone :(

watches never look right on me. maybe because I buy $10 ones from target.
That's like saying "racing games never look righton me. maybe because I bought only this one:
935899_80617_front.jpg

"

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
interesting that there is some love for german watches on NeoGAF. My favorite would be the Senator sixties reissue from GO:
2vbsikm.jpg

2a4u8wp.jpg

jhvuhf.jpg

but Rolex comes first....:lol

Zaptruder

Banned
Tortfeasor said:
This is my dream watch too.... I doubt I will ever be able to talk my wife into letting me drop $25k+ on a watch though.

Dump the wife or start earning millions a year. Live the dream!

I've had this Adidas LED watch for about five years now.

nuGsjaTrw.jpg

If you press the button on the side, the time lights up for a couple of seconds.

TowwjspLK.jpg

I love it. And it is completely useless trying to tell the time in sunlight.

Here's a stock photo (I have a black leather band on mine though, I can't stand those metallic things)

oLNoVJzOf.jpg

Danj

I have the metal strap version of this one:

CMD-40-1ZTER.jpg

I use the calculator and IR functions regularly, so I couldn't really switch to another type of watch at this point.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
TerryLee81 said:
My favourite: IWC Portuguese

IWC-3714-02_5870.jpg

Edit: fixed

Nice choice! A friend of mine recently bought one, pretty damn jealous!

I like the new vintage collection, especially the Aquatimer.

3231_001_l.jpg

ten5ive9ine

They've got me haunting a family in Texas.
Danj said:
I have the metal strap version of this one:

CMD-40-1ZTER.jpg

I use the calculator and IR functions regularly, so I couldn't really switch to another type of watch at this point.

Thanks for making me like my watch even more.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Keen said:
Nice choice! A friend of mine recently bought one, pretty damn jealous!

I like the new vintage collection, especially the Aquatimer.
Yeah, the Aquatimer is a real beauty. Vintage styled divers with internal bezel are having a comeback at the moment, see Longines (Legend Diver):
Longines-Legend-diver-2.jpg

and the Memovox Polaris re-edition by Jaeger-LeCoultre:
1968a.jpg

Ikopi

Here's mine:

mondaine.jpg

It's from Mondaine, and it's the official Swiss railway watch. I absolutely love the design. You can see what time it is in a glance, and you can wear it for all occasions, be it formal or casual. It's also the standard men's size and very light, so you really don't feel you are wearing a watch. After wearing it for over two years and regular use, it stil doesn't have one scratch on it (and I'm not really careful with it) so it's really made out of brilliant material.

I had a very hard time finding these because not a lot of regular watchshops carry these, but I found it after more than a year of searching in Utrecht, the Netherlands. I never have to adjust the time, only once every six months for daylight saving time.

Amon37

Munin said:
I don't understand all these people who're older than 15 and still running around with one of these Casio G-Shock things that I once wore in elementary school. They just look awful to me.

Lol, I'm wearing a casio right now. :lol

It looks awful to me too but I haven't found anything I really want especially if I'm going to drop some serious cash on it.

I'll take any recommendations in the 500-1000 US Dollar range.

Preferences:

1. Metal strap
2. No Yellow gold
3. Must show the date.

Giard

I have a Sector 650 watch. Love it very much, I can't find a decent pic of it on the net though...I'll try taking one later.

Flo_Evans

nice thread Onkel! I wil lhave to take some pics of my humble collection later but I will post my dream watch -

33z8aib.jpg

Glycine Incursore. I really like the simplicity of the face.

edit: I had some pics of my Diesel and my brothers Seamaster for some watch shop posters

vq4pht.jpg

t7fu4i.jpg

My newest watch, I got it for xmas. Cheap self winding!

2m6lcmu.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo_Evans, nice collection and thanks for the Kudos. What brought you to Stührling?

Amon37 said:
Lol, I'm wearing a casio right now. :lol

It looks awful to me too but I haven't found anything I really want especially if I'm going to drop some serious cash on it.

I'll take any recommendations in the 500-1000 US Dollar range.

Preferences:

1. Metal strap
2. No Yellow gold
3. Must show the date.
there are a lot of really nice watches to be had in that price range. What would be your preferred style (sporty, dressy), leather band or steel bracelet?

guise

I havent owned a watch for about 10 years but i decided to get this one today...

xpwQ_1207860494_ambition_angle.jpg

The time only displays for a couple of seconds when you hit the button, otherwise all you can really make out is a shiny black disc as the face.

I'm too lazy to read analogue displays

Amon37

OnkelC said:
Flo_Evans, nice collection and thanks for the Kudos. What brought you to Stührling?

there are a lot of really nice watches to be had in that price range. What would be your preferred style (sporty, dressy), leather band or steel bracelet?

I'd like to see some sporty and some dressy, steel bracelet preferred.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I have a blue Tag Heuer Monoco that I only break out for work events where Im trying to impress people. It is a great watch.

I want a red forumla one Tag Heuer, but only cuz Kimi has one.

edit: I should point out it was a college grad gift from my very well off aunt and uncle. I do not make it a habit of paying 3 grand for a watch.

edit: stock picture of my baby.

61P9J0RC31L._SS500_.gif

LazyLoki

posted mine before, and in the baselworld list i only found very few that appeal to me. most of them seem too... flashy.

but i think i'll aim for a Limes Endurance 1Tausend Diver, which should be under $2000

i'm afraid my collection will take a few years to grow :(

Amon37

The forumla one is nice and in my price range. However since Alonso helped develop it I don't know if I can go for it.

Adamrogo

Banned
So today I disassembled my GMT Master and gave it a very thorough cleaning. I soaked it in a soap bath, then used toothpicks and toothbrushes to clean out dirt and grime. It feels great and looks very nice now.

Here's a shot under some sunlight.

rolex1.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Even though I usually only own one watch at a time, I'm a big watch fan. Some nice watches on display here.

Like a few others in the thread, currently wearing a TAG that I bought for my 25th birthday when travelling through Singapore (making my girlfriend at the time cry given she had also bought me a watch as a surprise :( ).

cat65.gif

Find it really versatile and have found it very reliable.

Am starting to look for something different to mix it up with now and again. Either a watch with a white face or a splash of colour, and probably something slightly dressier (Breitling have a few models I have my eye on).

Top Bottom