• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

Chumley

Banned
Are they filming the back half right now or did they already finish?

Hoping when they come back JDM isn't still skinny as fuck. I can't imagine him saying "No, I won't start eating" if Kirkman asks him to, even if it's not in his contract or whatever.

UberTag

Are they filming the back half right now or did they already finish?

Hoping when they come back JDM isn't still skinny as fuck. I can't imagine him saying "No, I won't start eating" if Kirkman asks him to, even if it's not in his contract or whatever.
Filming for the back-half of Season 7 wrapped up in early November.

I thought the ending was the best thing that's happened on the show since S5.
It was a good version of the Season 4 finale. (Most) of the group reunited. Badass-beard-in-progress Rick ready to fight. And a visual representation of "They're don't know who they're fucking with it" except this time, Rick has a legit plan and approach rather than being instantly countered and taken to be slaughtered only to be saved by pure random luck

Surfinn

It was a good version of the Season 4 finale. (Most) of the group reunited. Badass-beard-in-progress Rick ready to fight. And a visual representation of "They're don't know who they're fucking with it" except this time, Rick has a legit plan and approach rather than being instantly countered and taken to be slaughtered only to be saved by pure random luck

Yeah I saw it as the opposite from the S4 finale though. They were just pissed off and ready to lash out.. it wasn't really a moment of togetherness.

This midseason was more "finally we understand that we need each other to create a better life for ourselves" instead of just LET'S KILL EM ALL. This is the beginning of what eventually creates Rick's "new world".

Basically it was more positive and understanding. Like everyone can stop and take a breath together.. THEN form a plan as a group. Loved it.

Leeness

So reports on TSDF say the main character death for the second half of the season is Sasha. :(

I guess I'm not surprised because she got a leading role on Star Trek but :(

UberTag

So reports on TSDF say the main character death for the second half of the season is Sasha. :(

Hard to believe she's been around since mid-Season 3. Sasha has suffered enough with losing Tyreese, Bob and Abe. She's earned herself a break from the hell that is living in The Walking Dead -verse.

Leeness

Hard to believe she's been around since mid-Season 3. Sasha has suffered enough with losing Tyreese, Bob and Abe. She's earned herself a break from the hell that is living in The Walking Dead -verse.

Yah but she was becoming strong and cool and was Maggie's bud for a bit... :(

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Aww that sucks, I really like the Sasha & Maggie tag team.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Didn't Fear the Walking Dead use that gag already? Could have sworn they did something in Season 2 that reminded me of the zombie fakeout

Leeness

Are we far enough along that Sasha can get the zombie/fakeout/bag on the head death from the comics?

TSDF can't confirm what happened yet with certainty but say:
"I'm seeing a lot of people saying that Sasha is taking Holly's death. The version we are leaning more towards being accurate is NOT Holly's death from the comics. You could MAYBE call it a remix, but it's still considerably different."

Didn't Fear the Walking Dead use that gag already? Could have sworn they did something in Season 2 that reminded me of the zombie fakeout
Ya they did it to the brother of the pirates who hijacked the yacht that Manawa's psycho kid murdered. The first thing I thought when I saw that was I hope/guess they won't do it again in TWD.

dustyherb

I'm curious to see if anyone here enjoyed the whisperer war as much as I did. Now that the final issue is out I am seeing a lot of people who think this arc sucked. Majority of the people seem let down cause the war wasn't a blood bath, which I honestly expected as well. I definitely didn't think Gabriel and Lucille would be the only major casualties. Even tho there wasn't a lot of deaths I still thought all the fighting made up for it. We had stuff like

- Beta vs Negan
-Michonne/Jesus showing up like Gandalf and saving Dwight and his troops.
-seeing Dwight and the rest using whisperer suits to blend in and split up the herd/whisperers
- the whisperers laying siege to the hilltop. Fire arrows raining down, the whole community on fire while Maggie and the rest fight.

I just really loved all the different battles that took place and how this actually felt like a real war. Plus now that Beta has unleashed the horde and it's heading towards Alexandria, we still have a good chance of some major deaths coming up. I was also 100% convinced Beta would be dead by this issue and I'm so glad he isn't. There's something about him that I really like and I wanna see more of him. Maybe we won't tho and he disappears with the remaining whisperers never to be seen again. Would be the first time Rick and the gang let a villan get away. Or maybe he ends up building the whisperers back up and they return later down the line, possibly get a Beta vs Negan rematch.

Also fuck Sherry and the saviors. I seriously hope Dwight drives an arrow through her stupid fucking skull. Hopefully Negan gets to kill some of them as well. This upcoming arc should be huge for Negan. It will be interesting to see what he does when the saviors decide to finally strike. I really hope he uses the situation to prove he's definitely on Rick's side and has pulled a Vegeta. Part of me still thinks he's playing Rick but that's mostly just cause it's hard to completely trust him.

It's funny that during the entire first half of season 7 people were complaining that no one would kill Negan. As if killing him would simply solve the Savior problem and no one else would lead. But now here we are with Sherry leading the saviors and they're still complete fucking assholes who are trying to take everything.

LycanXIII

I'm curious to see if anyone here enjoyed the whisperer war as much as I did. Now that the final issue is out I am seeing a lot of people who think this arc sucked. Majority of the people seem let down cause the war wasn't a blood bath, which I honestly expected as well. I definitely didn't think Gabriel and Lucille would be the only major casualties. Even tho there wasn't a lot of deaths I still thought all the fighting made up for it. We had stuff like

- Beta vs Negan
-seeing Dwight and the rest using whisperer suits to blend in and split up the herd/whisperers
- the whisperers laying siege to the hilltop. Fire arrows raining down, the whole community on fire while Maggie and the rest fight.

I just really loved all the different battles that took place and how this actually felt like a real war. Plus now that Beta has unleashed the horde and it's heading towards Alexandria, we still have a good chance of some major deaths coming up. I was also 100% convinced Beta would be dead by this issue and I'm so glad he isn't. There's something about him that I really like and I wanna see more of him. Maybe we won't tho and he disappears with the remaining whisperers never to be seen again. Would be the first time Rick and the gang let a villan get away. Or maybe he ends up building the whisperers back up and they return later down the line, possibly get a Beta vs Negan rematch.

Also fuck Sherry and the saviors. I seriously hope Dwight drives an arrow through her stupid fucking skull. Hopefully Negan gets to kill some of them as well. This upcoming arc should be huge for Negan. It will be interesting to see what he does when the saviors decide to finally strike. I really hope he uses the situation to prove he's definitely on Rick's side and has pulled a Vegeta. Part of me still thinks he's playing Rick but that's mostly just cause it's hard to completely trust him.

It's funny that during the entire first half of season 7 people were complaining that no one would kill Negan. As if killing him would simply solve the Savior problem and no one else would lead. But now here we are with Sherry leading the saviors and they're still complete fucking assholes who are trying to take everything.

Just read the six issues, feels like the war is just now starting.
- Feels like Rick is a lot older than 38 now, the time skip was 5 years.
- I haven't kept up with the Negan mini-series, but I'm guessing Lucille was his wife?
- Carl + Sophia OTP, get that Lydia shit out of here.
- Father Gabriel deserved better
- I can not see TV Show Eugene becoming the Comic Eugene. He's already started making bullets, but other than that, he doesn't feel the same. Maybe it's because I can't separate him from Artisan's posts?
- When does Eugene tell Rick about Ohio? Is that how they survive the horde? Sneak out while they can and leave, let The Saviors deal with the horde?

dustyherb

Just read the six issues, feels like the war is just now starting.
- Feels like Rick is a lot older than 38 now, the time skip was 5 years.
- I haven't kept up with the Negan mini-series, but I'm guessing Lucille was his wife?
- Carl + Sophia OTP, get that Lydia shit out of here.
- Father Gabriel deserved better
- I can not see TV Show Eugene becoming the Comic Eugene. He's already started making bullets, but other than that, he doesn't feel the same. Maybe it's because I can't separate him from Artisan's posts?
- When does Eugene tell Rick about Ohio? Is that how they survive the horde? Sneak out while they can and leave, let The Saviors deal with the horde?
Ya it really does. I really don't know how our communities are going to beat that fucking horde. The thing is absolutely ridiculous in size. So I'm guessing Kirkman maybe decided to change how long the time skip was recently? Because I feel as if he intented for it to be 2 years at first, there's some previous conversations that hint at it. Maybe he changed it cause it was weird for Carl to be having sex so young. Or maybe it was for the show. So if they ever do the time skip, Carl is closer to Chandler Riggs actual age.

Ya Lucille was his wife who had cancer. She died right at the beginning of the apocalypse. It's actually good you haven't read it yet, just wait till it's completely finished. So annoying that it's only like 4 pages a month. I also want Carl and Sophia together. Lydia dying could be a good route to go and would really impact Carl. Lol ya Father Gabriel in the comic definitely did. Dude disappeared for way too long and shows back up only to die. I feel like Gabriel should get the same death in the show tho. They already are focusing on him a lot more and it would have a lot more impact than it did in the comic.

I just think show Eugene still has a lot of growing to do, more than he ever did in the comic. I don't ever remember Eugene being a coward like he was in the show. He's definitely made a lot of progress in the back half of six and even the first half of 7 but still. He's also extremely emotional in the show. I feel like him getting taken by Negan early is really going to harden him up and hopefully get him closer to his comic counterpart.

As for the radio idk what the fuck Kirkman is doing lol. I feel like it has to come into play soon and hopefully it really changes everything. Right now we have No way out 2.0 coming up and all out war part 3. Obviously I'm joking but that's just what it seems like at the moment. So I really hope this radio thing shakes shit up. Some people have said they think it's Sherry playing Eugene and I really really fucking hope that's not the case. This is a good opportunity to have some of the group venture out and make contact with a community in another state. Expand the world and get another on the road story. They could have half the group go make contact and the other half stay behind to rebuild the communities. That's if they can even beat the horde.

Either way I feel like Kirkman has something up his sleeve. We have Beta and the whisperers who got away, this whole radio business, and I don't believe for a second Kirkman wants to simply make a No way Out 2.0/all out war part 3. This arc is going to be very interesting.

I guess I'll tag this since you haven't read it although nothing really interesting to spoil.
Ya, she was dying of cancer before the outbreak. I missed the issue where she actually dies. The latest issue has him using Lucille the bat for the first time. I don't really know what to make of him as a character. He does sociopathic shit constantly (he's boning another woman while his wife is dying in the hospital), but then also kinda feels bad for his wife years later?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(not reading the show spoilers - here for comic talk)

- Beta vs Negan

It definitely had some good moments, like Dwight throwing Negan the bat, in addition to the ones you mentioned, but I still thought it was underwhelming overall.

Rick not mentioning to anyone the exact size of the Whisperer's horde is fucking ludicrous - when they were planning out their strategy to defeat them, Rick told Dwight that the horde would sound like an ocean, but did he really not think to tell him that there were thousands of walkers? Rick chalking it up to "It goes without saying" sort of undermines his superior strategic abilities, no?

"Shouldn't be as complicated as when we fought Negan. There was a lot more at play there...a lot more at stake." "We have superior firepower, we know that." "With our capabilities and with your training, we should be able to withstand their assault."

Sort of contradicts the whole "thousands of them, roaring like an ocean, impossible to defeat" thing, doesn't it?

Also, at the end, it seems as though the horde has managed to get quite close to Alexandria - without anybody hearing this massive ocean roar, which should be possible from miles away. And a horde that massive would also be highly visible - how is it that Andrea or whoever didn't see it coming on the horizon hours ago?

Heh.

As for the radio idk what the fuck Kirkman is doing lol. This is a good opportunity to have some of the group venture out and make contact with a community in another state. Expand the world and get another on the road story. They could have half the group go make contact and the other half stay behind to rebuild the communities. That's if they can even beat the horde.

If it turns out to be another nefarious group trying to overtake Rick and Co. or some sort of trick from Sherry, I'll be extremely disappointed. I would love for them to be a nice group of people from across the country, prompting Rick to send a group out to make contact. I would be so down for a cross country road trip arc.

LycanXIII

With the show being back on Sunday, I was wondering if there was anything being done with Heath in the second half, or if they wrote him off until 24 succeeds/fails?

dustyherb

With the show being back on Sunday, I was wondering if there was anything being done with Heath in the second half, or if they wrote him off until 24 succeeds/fails?
I don't believe they spotted Corey filming anymore sadly. I mean there's always a chance, but most likely we won't see anything about him till S8. Maybe even longer, idk. It would be interesting to see him return with AOW going on.

Yeah, I've seen that name tossed around, but that's an awfully big faction hiding under everyone's noses, and in such a place - they've got to be weird as hell. I wonder if they're getting set up to become the Whisperers/take their place. I just got a vibe from them from the episode and the preview.

Leeness

Yeah, I've seen that name tossed around, but that's an awfully big faction hiding under everyone's noses, and in such a place - they've got to be weird as hell. I wonder if they're getting set up to become the Whisperers/take their place. I just got a vibe from them from the episode and the preview.

Maybe... Word is they (season finale spoilers if you care lol...just since it's far away)
double cross Rick and co and side with Negan in the big battle in the finale
so not sure if that would fit in with the Whisperers.

dustyherb

Don't think these guys are the whisperers in any form. Just another group to make AOW even bigger. I mean it's possible but I just don't see the anything with the whisperers happening yet. Also they guys are supposed to betray Rick which is fucking crazy when you think about it. I mean how are they supposed to beat the saviors (who already seem to have a lot more compared to the comics) and these guys who look to have 100+. Oceanside is going to have to help I hope? I mean idk if the Hilltop and Kingdom will be enough.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I hope when/if the Whisperers appear they're done better than in the comic. Felt they were wasted tbh.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think they should end the season by having the last shot be a zombie talking. We would know it's a whisperer but the general audience will be in shock until the season premiere.

They have SUCH a long way to go till the Whisperers. The last thing they should do is speed up and catch the comics. They have to end the Negan conflict, establish a peaceful new society in Alexandria, the way of life, Negan being locked up, etc. I can't see them doing the Whisperers for another season and a half at least.

dustyherb

They have SUCH a long way to go till the Whisperers. The last thing they should do is speed up and catch the comics. They have to end the Negan conflict, establish a peaceful new society in Alexandria, the way of life, Negan being locked up, etc. I can't see them doing the Whisperers for another season and a half at least.
Yep all of this. People need to stop thinking the whisperers are going to show up before AOW has even started. I want to see them really bad as well but it's just way too soon.

I hope when/if the Whisperers appear they're done better than in the comic. Felt they were wasted tbh.
I really don't think they were wasted, they just weren't badass fighters (except Beta) compared to some of the other groups. Their strength came from Alpha (who seemed to be the brains of the group), their crazy fucking numbers, and the fact that they hide among the dead. The real problem was always going to be their horde. It was pretty obvious as soon as Alpha threatened Rick with it. The only thing I would want different is maybe have a couple more semi known characters die in the war. But even then if they keep building up Gabriel his death could be enough in the show.

Grizzlyjin

Just read #163. So Negan is basically Vegeta now? I'm cool with it. And I don't see how Alexandria could possibly survive an "ocean" of Walkers.

Ready to move on from The Whisperers. I want this Eugene radio stuff to finally start paying off.

LycanXIII

#164, still haven't read the Negan mini-series, so
is Negan lying to Rick about his wife? Did someone say she died before the outbreak?

dustyherb

Or, they clear the herd, barely fend off the Saviors (due to Negan's intervention), and Maggie shows up and murders Negan in cold blood after he saves the day.
Definitely possible but I really hope not. I've been really looking forward to seeing how Carl and Maggie react to Negan being out. I just don't want it ending in Negan dying by one of them lol.

#164, still haven't read the Negan mini-series, so
is Negan lying to Rick about his wife? Did someone say she died before the outbreak?
He's telling the truth. His wife died right at the beginning of the outbreak and he was with her.

Surfinn

Just caught up with the comic (I was a few behind) and I just wanted to say..

The Lucille revelation was one of the coolest things to come out of the comics in a LONG time. What an awesome moment.. really humanized Negan without dumbing his character down or throwing in some dedicated backstory. Simple and super effective.

The stuff they're setting up between Rick/Negan is really cool too. Their conversation in 164 was filled with lots of interesting reflective character moments/development. The "Live" response to Negan's question was classic Rick Grimes and just fantastic writing in general. Good stuff.

dustyherb

Alright, I hope they release it as a collection once it's complete, I've got a couple of the Image+ issues, but don't want to hunt down the missing ones.
I believe I remember them saying they will. Going to be a longer wait now tho because it's in 16 parts instead of 12.

Just caught up with the comic (I was a few behind) and I just wanted to say..

The Lucille revelation was one of the coolest things to come out of the comics in a LONG time. What an awesome moment.. really humanized Negan without dumbing his character down or throwing in some dedicated backstory. Simple and super effective.

The stuff they're setting up between Rick/Negan is really cool too. Their conversation in 164 was filled with lots of interesting reflective character moments/development. The "Live" response to Negan's question was classic Rick Grimes and just fantastic writing in general. Good stuff.
If you ever do wanna see his full backstory "Here's Negan" is currently going on. Or just wait till it's all finished and released as one issue like most people are doing. But ya all this Negan stuff has been amazing and I can't wait to see where it all goes. That whole conversation in 164 got me thinking that Andy and JDM would kill it if they ever get to that point. I do wish tho that Rick had told Negan about Lori during their talk.

Also all the way back in issue 112 Negan said to Rick, "I do not believe we will ever share a meal together and tell each other our deepest fucking darkest secrets". The line was also just said in episode 8 this season but it was, "because of that, we're never gonna sit around and braid each other's hair or share our deepest, darkest secrets."
I just thought it was pretty crazy how much things have changed.

I don't think Rick is ready (and I'm not ready) to be Negan's buddy. Negan killed Glenn. Rick's not going to let that slide so easily. It has been years but Glenn was one of Rick's most trusted friends and Maggie and Glenn's kid are still around.

Grizzlyjin

I think Negan is playing a long con. I don't think he is lying about what he is saying, but I think his actions are purely to better his circumstances in the future. He isn't going back to that cage, that's for sure.

No doubt. He's not exactly a good guy in his origin story so far. He's a self centered asshole who turns into a hardened self centered asshole, and eventually I guess we'll see him turn into a murderer.

Surfinn

I don't think Rick is ready (and I'm not ready) to be Negan's buddy. Negan killed Glenn. Rick's not going to let that slide so easily. It has been years but Glenn was one of Rick's most trusted friends and Maggie and Glenn's kid are still around.

Nope. He will never be buddy buddy with Negan. As he shouldn't.

Top Bottom