• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

could laptops do kindle-like e ink screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangai-o

Banned
Kindle has the best screen of any device ever, but it is of course b&w. Could the same screen be used to build a windows 7 laptop i wonder. Does shadowing affect happen when using a fast operating system on E ink screens, or any other disadvantages other than b&w?

Evlar

Banned
Refresh rates are much, much too slow to support video or 3D effects. Even a mouse would be uncomfortably herky-jerky.

Ewww... Why the hell would you ever want that? You want a slow as hell refresh and a black and white screen? You'd never be able to watch videos.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No, refresh rate is too slow and "blinking" would drive people that can't ignore it (IE: ME!) on new text entering the screen/typing... insane.

Why the hell would you want e-ink outside of no glare, anyway?

Cyrillus

Evlar said:
Refresh rates are much, much too slow to support video or 3D effects. Even a mouse would be uncomfortably herky-jerkyimpossible.

I love my kindle, but pretty much this. The Kindle screen is perfect for displaying pages of text (or even images I suppose) that don't need to refresh faster than once every few seconds, but that's about it. As a laptop it would be abysmal to try to do any dynamic graphics or even word processing on a Kindle screen unless the refresh rate was vastly improved.

Pixel Qi? Check out Youtube.

pq_screen_outside_scooter.25444832_std.jpg

I wish E-Ink cellphones would catch on though. I know Motorola has one, but I don't think its available in the states.

Can you imagine the freakin' battery life?

bangai-o

Banned
well i dont know anything about the screen tech. I thought it would be good on laptops for at least battery life as well as being so good for reading.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
After years/decades of hypothetical advancements in the tech, giving us color e-ink with good refresh rates, I'd be all for it. I'm tired of burning my retinas in front of a glowing screen 10 hours a day.

Luthair

I wish they would make some kind of a Poster frame with a big e-ink display in color :p That way I could just upload a new poster to it weekly and it could prob run off a few batters a month. <3 But I dream.

Red

TheSeks said:
No, refresh rate is too slow and "blinking" would drive people that can't ignore it (IE: ME!) on new text entering the screen/typing... insane.

Why the hell would you want e-ink outside of no glare, anyway?
Really? How about to be able to see the screen in sunlight and not being forced to stress your eyes every time you use your computer?

I imagine an e-ink screen would function better on a specialized machine, like a touch tablet. That way you don't need to worry about mouse lag, and the UI could be better suited to counter the technology's disadvantages.

Kindles already have a web browser, but it's pretty much shit.

Narag

bangai-o said:
well i dont know anything about the screen tech. I thought it would be good on laptops for at least battery life as well as being so good for reading.

At one time they were working on e-ink/lcd hybrids for reasons such as that but I haven't heard anything about them in forever.

Goldrusher

Jayayess1190 said:
That should have been a standard feature in every laptop a long time ago.

It's been over a decade since the first powerful, affordable laptops and instead of implementing tech like that, a few years ago the manufacturers actually went the other way and made screens glossy. Smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom