• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs: 2017-2018 edition - Vote open until Oct 13th - Win Free RPGs

Ascheroth

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (HIGHLIGHT)
The 3rd and last game in the TitS trilogy, this game serves as an epilogue, as it's own little story and even as setup for the games that came years after it.
There's honestly not a single fault I can find. The characters are great. The writing is great. It can be fun, it can hit make you tear up. The music is great.
It has the best combat of the Sky series and the has just the right difficulty on normal. There are 16(!) playable characters, and it's a ton of fun coming up with good strategies and customizing your party.
Did I mention that you can play all of the TitS game with a mouse only and it's bliss? Because if I didn't, I did just now.

Ys Origin (UNDERRATED)

(Along with Oath in Felghana) the pinnacle of Action RPG combat. Simple but satisfying as hell combat that controls like a dram, a ton of awesome (sometimes even bullet-hell-ish) bosses, great soundtrack (tell me you can listen to this and not want to immediately throw money at your screen and start playing), challenging, some light exploration and a nice story.
There are also 3 different playable characters that have vastly different playstyles and while the overall story is the same, the 'routes' still differ a fair bit and even have some different bosses.
Then there's also boss rush mode and an arena.

Nier: Automata
A game that will make you think a lot. Fantastic story and music, coupled with flashy combat, Yoko Taro quirks and some nice gameplay-switch-ups.
The only issue is that the balancing is bad and it gets way too easy.

Xanadu Next

If I had to sum it up with one sentence, I'd say it's a Falcom game Xanadu Next is an incredibly fun and incredibly satisfying game, that just feels right on every level.
It's like a slightly slower and more RPG-heavy Ys game with an interconnected world and lots of secrets to find. Combat is fast, but heavily emphasizes positioning and the feedback is incredibly satisfying.
The story is very interesting as well, and while it may seem unimportant and perfunctory at most in the beginning, it builds up to a stunning conclusion.

Undertale
Packed with charm and full of interesting ideas. The unique combat system, choices, likeable characters and meta-moments make this a no-brainer to check out.

K5hRALG.jpg

Shadow Hearts

A great JRPG with a very unusual setting and atmoshpere. Set in the early 20th century the game has a very creepy and eerie vibe. The Judgement Ring combat system is great.
While the sequel Covenant refines the gameplay I much prefer the story and atmosphere in this game.

Dark Souls

Amazing oppressive atmosphere and tension with a great interconnected world and lots of secrets to find. Keeps you on your toes every second.

SEWysua.png

Mana Khemia

Fast and flashy combat (seriously, those sprite animations are amazing), a fun cast, nice story and soundtrack. Crafting things with the alchemy system and unlocking new skills with the crafted items is addicting and a ton of fun.

mJq557l.png

Persona 4

Japanese high school live + supernatural detective work + fighting with summoned monsters.
Oozes style, and the combination between daily-life and dungeon fighting works great.

The Last Remnant

A flawed gem. Has an extremely ambitious tactical combat system, great music and a visual spectacle.
It's biggest problem is that it loves to hide everything about how it actually works and you need to venture into a wiki if you want to wrap your head around it. Worth it though.
And the PC version has a great tool that makes your life easier.

Gothic II

A classic. Even now not many games can make a world as believable and densely packed with places to explore and things to find.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Similar to the Trails in the Sky series but with a bit more anime and persona influecnes.
Ys I & 2: Chronicles - The Bump system is just great. As is Dark Fact. ;)
Ys: Oath in Felghana - Basically as good as Origin, but I didn't want to clog up all the votes with Falcom stuff
Kingdom Hearts II - Disney meets Final Fantasy and it's awesome
Valkyria Chronicles - Even though it has some shitty parts, the artstyle and unique Strategy/RPG/TPS hybrid make this definitely something worth a try.
Dragon's Dogma - One of the best combat system in open world/action RPGs. Lots of unique ideas like the Pawn system, but some fall flat.
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - A massive, alien world. Complex quests and a lot of skills. And mods.
Chrono Trigger - Fun combat, fun story, fun characters and just the right length.
Final Fantasy X - Cool story and world and probably the best non-ATB Final Fantasy battle system.
Pandora's Tower - Accompanied by a dark and bleak atmosphere, you venture into the towers to gather monster flesh which you feed your lover so that she doesn't turn into a monster herself.

<FULL POINT GAMES &#8211; 2 points>
{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (and by extension FC & SC : P)
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Ys Origin
Nier: Automata
Xanadu Next
Undertale
Shadow Hearts
Dark Souls
Mana Khemia
Persona 4
The Last Remnant
Gothic II

<HONORABLE MENTIONS &#8211; 1 point>
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Ys I & 2: Chronicles
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Kingdom Hearts II
Valkyria Chronicles
Dragon's Dogma
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy X
Pandora's Tower

--VOTE INFO END--

Reserved.

(Still in progress.)

HIGHLIGHT
Divinity: Original Sin 2

UNDERRATED

FULL POINT GAMES

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Effect 2
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Undertale

Some quick explanations about my choices for this list:
1 - The Witcher 3

I put The Witcher 3 as the highlight because few big open world RPGs have managed to feel as "human" as this one. Even the most evil characters have redeeming features, and I loved every single storyline featured in this game. The combat may not be the best in an action RPG, but for what it's worth, I liked that too. It's a game made by humans so that other humans can enjoy it.

2 - Way of the Samurai 3

A "choose your own adventure" RPG that will always be close to my heart due to the sheer amount of choices we have before us for each playthrough. It's a bit too silly for its own good sometimes, but there are many great stories to be discovered if we take the time to interact with the inhabitants of Amana.

3 - Vampìre: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

The writing may not be as good as one could hope, but the game more than makes up for that with its freedom of choice. Worldbuilding is also top notch, something that way too many big budget RPGs could learn a bit from.

4 - Planescape: Torment

The game that would have been in the highlight section for me before The Witcher 3 swooped in and took that spot. Few games have managed to make me care about their characters and their world as Planescape did, the writing is simply outstanding, and even the clunky combat mechanics can't bring down this title from its pedestal for me.

5 - Fallout 2

The game that made me take these kind of titles seriously. There were so many ways to do the same thing that I initially felt overwhelmed, but over time, it became one of my favorite games. Few titles can claim to do things as well as Fallout 2 does.

6 - Divinity: Original Sin

Divinity: OS takes all the things I loved from the previous Larian games and mixes them together in a fun package. The combat system is simply outstanding, and while the story isn't exactly amazing, it still provides enough motivation for the player to keep going until the end. Oh, and the cooperative mode is exceptional too!

7 - Torment: Tides of Numenera

Inxile's Kickstarted RPG didn't quite reach the heights of its spiritual predecessor, but it's still an incredible game, set in a fully fleshed out world that demands we explore it, and filled to the brim with interesting stories and characters. The combat system isn't always great, but it's better than Planescape's (and we can still avoid fights if that's our wish). It's probably one of the shortest games in this list, but it's VERY replayable.

8 - Fallout: New Vegas

With New Vegas, Obsidian created the 3D Fallout game I always wanted, taking the best bits from Fallout 2 and mixing them with the things that worked from Fallout 3. The combat mechanics are very clunky, but the story is mostly excellent, and there are countless ways of approaching situations. Fair warning though, it's full of bugs.

9 - Alpha Protocol

Just like New Vegas, this is an Obsidian game, and it's also sadly riddled with bugs. The best spy RPG ever released, hiding a surprising amount of depth under its "bro shooter" facade, Alpha Protocol succeeded at the most difficult aspects of game design, while failing at the basic gameplay level. It's still incredibly replayable, and an excellent experience once we get to grips with its controls and clunky mechanics.

10 - Valkyria Chronicles

This isn't just a gorgeous looking game, it's also one of the best Japanese RPGs I've played, thanks to some amazing combat mechanics and a story that can get to one's heart very quickly.

Regarding Divinity: Original Sin, I've read that the second game is even better than the first, but I've only played like 2 hours of it, so I'd rather not include it on my list yet.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Way of the Samurai 3
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Alpha Protocol
Valkyria Chronicles

Xanadu Next
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VI
Dragon's Dogma
NieR
Gothic 3
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Suikoden II

--VOTE INFO END--

kswiston

Have the lists ever managed to reach outside of GAF? Do people link to it on reddit/twitter etc? I like the idea of people finding new RPGs to play thanks to the list that might not even be GAF members.

Just a quick Google search

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/15rs54/neogafs_essential_rpgs_2013_edition_a_list_of_50/

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/neogafs-essential-rpgs-top-50.96432/page-2

http://www.listchallenges.com/neogafs-50-essential-role-playing-games

https://www.grouvee.com/games/?tags=NeoGaf Top RPGs 2013

I have nothing to do with any of that.

I remember coming across other reddit threads in the past. The lists get mentioned on social media as well. Rpg codex and Ultima codex mostly make fun of us, but it is what it is.

Phu

Banned
This post is still WIP

NieR: Automata
What is this game? Honestly, I'm still a bit surprised this game even exists considering how the original NieR seemed fated to remain an obscure masterpiece that got lost in the shuffle, yet here we are. NieR: Automata pulls tons of concepts from its predecessor but still manages to avoid becoming a retread while also improving on certain aspects. The game poses plenty of questions you've probably encountered in other pieces of media or even on your own, such as the nature of humanity or what you're even doing playing this video game in the first place, but it does so with its own wholly unique flavor. Even if you catch onto its twists and turns early on, you'll still be wowed by how well it pulls things off and presents them to you. This is all thanks to the fact that Automata is unabashedly a video game. Virtually every aspect of it is drenched in its pride to be a video game. It's over the top, it's weird, and it tells a story that's only possible to tell because of its interactive nature. It's a little tough to talk about this game since I'd rather not spoil anything, but there is a certain moment in this game that I would call a highlight for the entire medium. A simple, but beautiful moment that reaches out from the game and asks something of you, the person, not you, the player. Aside from all that, I'm a huge fan of the characters and their designs [2B is super cool], the little pocket of the world you get to spend time in, and the music [oh man, is that music phenomenal]. Everything has this simple earnestness to it and I just find the whole thing endearing and wonderful.

Pokemon Black/White
5th gen is best gen. I'll just say that upfront. I realize Pokemon's always gonna be one of those series with split fans and favorites but too often I see Black and White get the shaft. I appreciate how they hit the reset button on the roster, giving you a full new batch of Pokemon during the story while saving the older Pokemon til the endgame. This meant every new route meant new surprises. This meant every new encounter was a potential new favorite. You didn't have any old friends to gravitate towards and didn't know the potential of any of these new creatures, so you had to start experimenting from scratch. This is the only generation to recapture the first generation's sense of wonder and and discovery. They also took an interesting approach with the story, giving us villains who'd spread their influence by spreading their ideologies [which had some decent points to them], and also a character with a third perspective trying to work out his own interpretation of things. Gym leaders started to stretch their legs a bit more, getting a bit more involved in the goings on in the world and acting more like actual leaders in their communities. The pacing is great, the battle speed is snappy, the characters are fun, and the soundtrack has a really unique sound and variety to it. I honestly think the new gens have taken enough missteps to keep them from topping these games [and their direct sequels].

Persona 4
Persona 4 is a dumb anime game where you play as a bunch of high schoolers who jump into TVs to fight demons and solve mysteries. It's also a game where certain events and characters hit me a little too close to home. Over and over again, it presents you with these kids trying to cope with who they are as individuals and how they eventually learn to accept themselves. It's the kind of stuff everyone has to do and figure out as they grow up. Personally, I first played Persona 4 during my first year of college, a point in time when I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life, so I saw a lot of 'me' in its cast. It's one of the few games out there that actually got me to think about myself and my life and it has left a lasting impression on me. It's simply a game that I'm thankful to have played. On top of that, the game's got major style and the music alone makes me feel comfortable and nostalgic [which doesn't make sense to me but there's just something special about it].

NieR
NieR is a rough experience. It doesn't look too great, sometimes its bloom lighting is absolutely blinding, the combat is underwhelming and the insane blocking mechanic makes things trivial, you have to jump through some weird hoops to get to the actual end of the game, and there's a 1000% superfluous real world time gardening system. But man does it have a great story, or rather, it's the ideas the story expresses that are so great. This game is about perspectives. It portrays a world in ruin that's only getting worse because everyone is just trying to do the right thing. You want to save your daughter [or sister, depending on the version of the game], you want to protect your friends and village, you want to help others, you want a peaceful life. The first time you finish the game is when you discover you've just scratched the surface. NieR is interesting with how it handles multiple endings. Instead of having completely separate good endings, bad endings, etc., NieR's endings roll from one into the next. The game has you replay the last stretch of the game, but with new information thrown in. Each time you go through it, you get a better understanding of the different sides at play. You're performing the same tasks, chasing the same goal, but you have new insight and context so you then see that everything isn't as straightforward as it originally appeared to be. NieR is a not-so-peachy lesson in the importance and intricacies of self-reflection and empathy.

Mother 3
I've never been more emotionally attached to a bunch of sprites than when I played through Mother 3. Right at the beginning of the game, before I really got a chance to form a solid connection with the main family of characters, they suffer a loss. A loss so great it just breaks them, it breaks the family and the game shows how they each suffer and cope and eventually forgive. I find the scene where Flint just lashes out his frustrations in front of everyone at the campfire to be extremely powerful. It was just raw emotion. Throughout the story, you are introduced to more troubled and broken people. Despite the cheery visuals and goofy music, Mother 3 is a sad and melancholic game. I'm pretty sure it managed to get a couple tears out of me. It portrays both personal, internal struggles as well as the struggles and changes of society on a larger scale and leaves you plenty to think about. It's a wonderful game and it's a shame there's been no official western release.

New Vegas gives you a light backstory and a general goal and then just sets you free into the wasteland to do as you please. This is one of those games where I just like to drift about and see where I end up. That's pretty much the number one reason why I like this game so much. I just keep moving and I just keep stumbling into interesting stuff. It felt like nearly everything I did was steering my character down one of the game's inevitable end paths. The different factions played a key role in that I was compelled to side with some and not with others, and their overall influence on the world had me considering if it was worth following through with certain actions. Aside from the obvious 'you completed a thing!' flags it felt like I could eject out of any situation and change my course. I didn't really care about the fate of my character or the fate of the world but I had a blast reacting to and trying to get a response out of key characters. I ended up going in deep with this game, getting the different endings. doing all the DLC, and scouring every nook and cranny for any interesting side stories. The game's worth it alone for the sheer amount of content and how it all builds into a bigger system.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Light-hearted fun through and through. The Thousand-Year Door is full of fun, lovable characters, engaging yet simple combat and has some surprising narrative and thematic choices, especially for a Mario game. For instance, the main hub is a run-down, crime-infested port town with a mafia running one side of town and a gang controlling the other, topped off with a nice noose right in the middle of the town square. This is the kind of game you play when you just want to have a good time and read some goofy dialogue. There's also a handful of times where it feels like the devs just wanted to screw with the players and that's something I can appreciate. The characters steal the show in this game and just watching them interact with one another is a treat. You can look at a lot of RPGs and see them going extra deep and dramatic with their plots or themes or see them layer game mechanics atop game mechanics in an attempt to make them interesting and I think this game is important as a reminder that simple can work.

Xenoblade Chronicles
By the time I finished playing this game I found myself thinking back on it and having one of those 'damn, a lot happened, didn't it?' moments. It's weird in that it only felt like a massive journey in retrospect, but every moment leading up til the end was spent just getting lost in the game. I spent so much time doing sidequests and talking to people because every settlement or group I came across felt like people I just wanted to root for. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of the battle system but I still found myself settling into a good rhythm and strategy, which kind of synced up with my mindset of just seeing what the world had to offer. While the game has a strong cast of characters, I'd say the world is the star of this show. It's a world worth experiencing.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I'm pretty sure this game triggered some psychological quirk in my brain that made me want to do absolutely everything all the time. It had me tripping over things I wanted to do. It seemed like no matter where Link was standing, I could see at least five other things I'd want to do at that exact moment. This game was hard to stop playing once I'd start because one thing would just roll into the next and suddenly three more hours than I had planned for had passed. This game is all about exploration. Considering it's an open world [or open 'air'] game, with a very large world, I'm amazed that I never felt the need to, and therefore didn't, use the fast travel system during my time with it. I really wish that path-tracker DLC was a thing at launch because I would've loved seeing my travels advance while I played through it for the first time. Walking back and forth over the same areas, but going to different destinations, and taking different routes, I probably know some areas of this game better than my own neighborhood. Breath of the Wild cranks up the fun of exploration to a new level by letting you climbing nearly everything and glide off of pretty much anything. That means anywhere on the surface of the world could hold a secret or something interesting. It's almost exhausting how many places you can check. Strangely enough, this isn't a game I'm raring to get back to, at least not anytime soon, and I can see it eventually getting made obsolete by further advancements in the genre [perhaps by a sequel to itself] but as of right now it's the absolute best in what it does.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
This game is a breath of fresh air for the series. While it still has the different ideological alignments and factions vying for control and power, it also has a cast of characters worth giving a damn about and that in turn steers the story in a more interesting direction. I know it doesn't seem very impressive, but having characters you can care about [or in some cases, characters worth referring to as 'characters'] has been a weak point for the series. The gameplay is as good as its ever been and now that they've fixed one of my biggest gripes I have no qualms recommending Apocalypse to anyone who likes this turn-based style of RPG.

--VOTE INFO START—

<FULL POINT GAMES – 2 points>
{HIGHLIGHT – 3 points} NieR: Automata
{UNDERRATED – 4 points} Pokemon Black/White
Persona 4
NieR
Mother 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

<HONORABLE MENTIONS – 1 point>
Persona 5
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Final Fantasy IX
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Valkyria Chronicles
Undertale
Dark Souls
Bravely Default
Folklore
Final Fantasy III

--VOTE INFO END--

WIP

Final Fantasy IX

This is my favorite game of all time and maybe the perfect reperesentation of all good that comes from Final Fantasy games. It has a really great characters, for f**k we finally have a good main character which is not a big crybaby in PS era and then there is Vivi <3 We have a magnificant and beautifull world with so much secrets in it. An the music, it makes such good atmosphere trough complete game. If you didn't play any Final Fantasy up till this date, this is your start point.

Diablo

Yes, I played the second one and it has more of all, including addictive multiplayer. But for me, atmosphere of the first one was so tense, I was always on edge when going to the floor belove. Also, I really dig the part of going floor deper to hell, it really made me more scarier, espetially when you had that slow run of your character. And the buthcer moment...

The World Ends with You

For me, still the game that took most of the system it run on. That fanatic battle on two screens was, and still is, one of the craziest ideas hat somebody came up. Also, just a glimpse on the gamplay and you can see just fabelous art style and fun music. Story was also interesting, it had a lot of 180 degrees moments to enjoy it.

Pokemon Sun/Moon

I'm a really big Pokemon fan, so I'll buy every Pokemon game. But with sun/moon, they really made me to fall in love again with pokemon world. Up to that moment, after the first GameBoy games, I was playing for battles and to catch them all. But with this one, I was so much enjoying in it that I remembered all good days when I was playing Yellow or Gold on my GameBoy. This game has so many love letters to their fans, that I would recommend it to any old or new pokemon fan.

Chrono Cross

I know that this is again unpopular opinion (just like Diablo vs Diablo 2), but I really like more Chrono Cross. I can't really point the main reason, is it faboulous world map, story or nostalgia (because I played Cross before Trigger), but I always loved this game more. Story about the alternative world where you died is quite crazy, but as you go furder, it becomes more and more interesting.

Bloodborne

I

--VOTE INFO START--
<FULL POINT GAMES - 2 points>
{Highlight - 3 points} Final Fantasy IX
{Underrated - 4 points} Diablo
The World Ends with You
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Chrono Cross
Bloodborne
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy VII

<HONORABLE MENTIONS 1 point>
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy X
Dark Souls
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Chrono Trigger
Mass Effect 2
Dark Souls 3
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Diablo 2
Persona 5

fek

In no specific order:

Xenogears (HIGHLIGHT):
There are many amazing games that I would recommend for people who enjoy RPGs but if I had to choose only one then it is Xenogears. I don't think the story has been beaten in the genre yet. And of course, music, characters, battle system, I think everything works incredibly well. There are problems in the second disc but I believe that anyone who has been enjoying the game up to that point will still enjoy it the same way.

Dragon Quest IX (UNDERRATED):
To me this is the perfect Dragon Quest. The classes, the segmented story, absolutely amazing OST, the game flow is just great. I also prefer the character creation system. And after playing DQXI this year, I realized again how much I actually enjoyed and miss DQIX.

Xenosaga 3:
This game improved so much on the previous two entries it's insane. The battle system is a lot of fun and fast. They also nailed the character designs and graphics. It continues the story from Xenosaga 2 and actually has one of the best endings in any media. Really makes it worth playing the other games (although I personally enjoyed them both too).

Final Fantasy Tactics:
To me this is the FF game that really stood out in the PSX era. I enjoy SRPGs a lot and FFT is a defining game for the genre for sure. Plus the story of Ramza and Delita is one of the most entertaining in the FF series in general.

Final Fantasy VI:
I really appreciate how the game plays around with the multiple main characters and I also really like Kefka as a villain. This is probably my favorite version of the ATB system as well. Just overall an amazing game that would be my Highlight if not for Xenogears!

Lunar: Silver Star Story:
I miss Game Arts so much and Lunar was their best work in my opinion. Game can get hard at times but I really liked the battles. I liked most of the characters and their interactions and Ghaleon is another great villain.

Persona 3:
This game really changed dungeon crawlers. Interacting with the Social Links between Tartarus exploration and living the daily life through a school year calendar. It was just very unique and worked great.

Mario Tennis: Power Tour:
As far as Camelot RPGs go, I actually like this one more than the Golden Sun series! It basically improves on everything that was already great in the GBC game, making for an even better Sport RPG. I wish some day Mario Tennis games go back to have similar RPG modes because Tennis in particular works great with RPG elements.

Soul Nomad:
NIS was on a roll with their SRPGs on the PS2 and this is my favorite. Interaction with the NPCs and the choices the game give added with the fun systems of NIS games makes this game great.

Shin Megami Tensei IV:
This game was everything I hoped for a SMT game. Press turn system has never been better and fusing improved so much. I love the atmosphere, the demons, the difficulty, the OST. I guess how it's easy to get lost in the map was its only bad point.

Honorable Mentions:

Grandia: This game probably has the best feeling of going to an adventure ever.
Star Ocean 2: I have always liked SO games for their battle systems but this one doesn't get limited to only that. It actually has good characters and story.
Valkyrie Profile: This game is beautiful. The sad story fragments are the best part.
Rondo of Swords: Insane SRPG with 4 endings, many characters for recruting and crazy hard battles.
Pokemon XY: The changes to the competitive and addition of the PSS made me finally get into multiplayer Pokemon for the first time. Over 1000 hours played of this game.
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness: This is the game that defined NIS SRPGs. Still worth playing even now.
Atelier Totori: The Arland trilogy is still my favorite and Totori improved so much over Rorona that it deserves getting to this list.
Demon's Souls: I never thought I would like this game but I did. I love the dark atmosphere of some of the stages and the feeling of going back to the Nexus is something else.
Pokemon Sun/Moon: This game doesn't have the PSS but I believe that the best Pokemon game is always the latest one and I approve the single player changes here.
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman: A roguelike with NIS humor and crazy systems is just a must play.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Xenogears
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Dragon Quest IX
Xenosaga 3
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VI
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Persona 3
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Soul Nomad
Shin Megami Tensei IV

Grandia
Star Ocean 2
Valkyrie Profile
Rondo of Swords
Pokemon XY
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Atelier Totori
Demon's Souls
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman

--VOTE INFO END--

sadblob

I hope I didn't screw up anything with the format, please let me know if it happened.

1. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. What can I say about BG2 that hasn't been said already. I have played through this game like 6 times with a completely different party every time, making different choices, using various tactics and it just never gets old. Also, the feeling you get at the end of the expansion when you can Timestop + Whirlwind everything is unmatcheable.

2. Chrono Trigger. Amazing battle system, amazing characters, amazing story, amazing artwork. This is only number 2 because Baldur's Gate exists.

3. Divinity: Original Sin. (hype for OS2!) I love the amount of freedom you have in this game. Every situation can be solved in several different ways and every battle has tons of different options to consider (do you attack "normally"? do you cause a flood and then electrocute everything? how about spilling oil and using a firebomb?). My only negative is the story, not very good imo, but the incredible gameplay more than makes up for it.

4. Transistor. Perhaps you play this game once and it's fun and the story is amazing, but you feel like you are missing something. Then you move on to NG+, activate every limiter and you're in the real game. At this point, Transistor becomes one of the most satisfying games ever, with every battle being incredibly risky but with all the tools you need to stomp everything (if you are careful). I haven't felt that way in any other game.

5. Star Ocean. Yes, I mean the first one that came out for SNES. This game is flawed, incredibly confusing and VERY hard, but I can't not love it. When you figure out how to unlock a new power, or (some of) the steps to become overpowered, or just how to get X character in your party, you get that feeling of accomplishment and you can ignore all the bad stuff. Also I really like the graphics in this game.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Star Ocean
Chrono Trigger
Transistor
Earthbound
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Final Fantasy IV
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Tales of Symphonia

Deus Ex
Tales of Phantasia
Final Fantasy VIII
Dragon Quest VI
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Dragon Age: Origins
Valkyria Chronicles
Golden Sun
Star Ocean 2
Ys Origin

--VOTE INFO END--

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Hang on, I'm editing in my justifications. Don't pay attention to my honorable mentions yet either.

It's unfortunate that I haven't gotten to the RPGs that are festering in my Steam backlog yet (e.g. Final Fantasy VIII, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Dragon's Dogma, etc.), otherwise I could pretend that this list was a little more balanced. At least be glad that I'm disregarding Zelda games as RPGs or else this list would look really damn homogeneous.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (highlight) - I'm highlighting this for the press turn system, essentially. It's really satisfying to be rewarded for exploiting enemies' weaknesses with the opportunity to perform extra actions in a turn. Likewise, it's devastating when enemies do that to your party. That's all wrapped up in an intriguing story with Hindu motif. I think the game is definitely something to try out when you're tired of the whole "hero goes off with his friend to defeat the big bad who burnt down his town" shtick.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (underrated) - This would've been the highlight if I didn't realize the underrated vote counted more, lol. It has to be my absolute favorite RPG. The combat system is a sort of crazy, addictive poker. You get bonuses to your attacks, defense, or healing by making straights, having pairs, attacking or defending with the opposing attribute, so on and so forth. As you progress, the time you have to make these hands gets shorter and shorter, so you have to make quick decisions on whether to continue your hand or give up lest you waste the bonus you could get if you stick with what you already have out. The music and environments are beautiful, and the story is engaging. It's worth the play. My only recommendation is to maybe switch off the voices in the menu. On the other hand, I did play with them on, and the hammy voice acting is still something I'm kind of fond of. Your mileage may vary.

Valkyria Chronicles - Ever wonder what anime World War II would be like? Look no further. To be honest, my expectations were pretty low when I first heard the premise, but the story easily exceeded them. It alone could've kept me engaged, if the gameplay itself weren't so compelling. Keeping cover and trying to go undiscovered in enemy territory, or just going in guns blazing and hoping you don't die in the crossfire (and inevitably reloading because of course I don't want any of my units to be permadead). I kept telling myself, "just one more mission". It's a damn good game.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - Another SRPG to follow up Valkyria. The game is built around lighthearted humor, from the cast to the mechanics. It's fun to literally toss around anyone on the battle field, to bargain with the senators over better items in the store or more maps and just beat them up if they vote you down. For me, the cast is this game's strength. Hilarious, but with personal struggles that make you sympathize and root for them. There's so much to do beyond the main story, if you're interested in stat building. The rabbit hole of the item world is bottomless. Can't go wrong with trying this one.

Ys I - This is my personal favorite out of the Ys series. There's just something that feels good about stabbing people by literally bumping your character into them. It's so simple, and yet somehow it's still tough as fucking nails. That's the beauty of the Ys series in general. Even if the story isn't the most memorable thing in the world, you remember triumphing over that fucking bat boss. Also Feena best Ys girl, don't let anyone tell you different.

Undertale - There's probably not much I could say about this game that hasn't been said already. It's charming, comfortable (until it's not), bizarre, and just fun. The battle system is entirely genius, and unexpectedly difficult. Out of all the games on this list, I think it gives you the most freedom and control over the overall narrative. The juggernaut of its word of mouth exists for a reason.

Pillars of Eternity - I've only ever played one CRPG so far, and this is it. I may not know better, but I do think it's a great introduction to the genre. There's a lot of freedom in how you can approach quests, and quite often you can entirely bypass combat with just the right words. It's something that's missing in a lot of Japanese RPGs, so it's something I really enjoyed and appreciated. The classes of characters you can play as or recruit are really different from one another, and there's a lot of variety to be had in builds. On this whole list, PoE's the one that gives you the most mechanic and narrative freedom (that is, outside of the overall narrative anyway; that's pretty set in stone).

Tales of Phantasia - This pretty much goes for the older Tales games in general, of which I think Phantasia is the most representative (I might've swapped it out for Destiny if I had actually beaten it though). It's the standard journey across the world with a lighthearted cast. It's the whole "hero goes off with his friend to defeat the big bad who burnt down his town" shtick that I made fun of earlier. It's the comfort food of RPGs. Maybe that doesn't really sell it well, but sometimes, you just crave that simplicity.

Final Fantasy VII - I played this for the first time around two years ago. After beating it, I got the same feeling I did when I finished Ocarina of Time, which I also played for the first time well after release. The awareness that if I had played it on day 1, I would've been swept up in the GOAT hype like everyone else was. A kind of weird nostalgia, almost. After playing it, I understood why Final Fantasy games were so hyped up. My mind probably would've been blow away by graphics if it were still 1998. The game still holds up, beyond that. Play it for the history.

Kingdom Hearts - For some bizarre reason, a crossover between Final Fantasy and Disney, of all things, just works. The story is steeped in mystery, and that desire to figure out what's going on propels you forward. In this regard, the first game is thankfully rather simple, whereas the sequels (the ones I bothered playing anyway) seem to lose the plot at some point or another. It's nice, but also odd, to be able to explore all those worlds you only got to see in movies, even if they are rather empty on the whole. It probably has the most compelling tutorial section I've seen in a RPG so far. It wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Baten Kaitos: Origin (HM) - Basically improved on a majority of things from the first game, but I still like the first better for whatever reason.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (HM) - I haven't played the original Tactics, and I know people who have say this is inferior in every way. Still, I really enjoyed the scenario.

Golden Sun (HM) - The battle system is pretty neat, and the plot is pretty cool. Unfortunately, the writing is somewhat garbage.

Tales of Symphonia (HM) - Story's a bit juvenile, but the battle system is fun and lays down the groundwork for the future games.

Tales of Legendia (HM) - Everyone hates this game, but it's my second favorite RPG behind Baten Kaitos.

Stardew Valley (HM) - Probably should get a spot on the normal ballot, but I wouldn't know which one to kick off for it. It's digital crack.

Pokemon Yellow (HM) - Because Pikachu follows you around.

Ys: Oath in Felghana (HM) - The soundtrack's amazing, the story is decent for what it is (which is effectively irrelevant), and the bosses are tough as fuck. As expected from Falcom.

Recettear (HM) - Capitalism, ho!

Radiant Historia (HM) - For when you want to channel your inner time traveler but still be on rails in a linear experience.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Ys I
Undertale
Pillars of Eternity
Tales of Phantasia
Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts

Baten Kaitos: Origin
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Golden Sun
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Legendia
Stardew Valley
Pokemon Yellow
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Recettear
Radiant Historia

--VOTE INFO END--

This is going to be hard...
Lol at the Persona hate in this thread.
Will do the write ups later.

Some of the very best writing, world building and characters to ever grace a rpg, with Estelle being hands down the best protagonist.
The Trails in the Sky trilogy is one of the best things this medium has to offer, with XSeed's imaculate localization work providing the icing on the cake.

The pinnacle of the SMT franchise and therefore of JRPGs, its atmosphere and merciless difficulty combine to create an experience without parallel.

The first 2 Shadow Hearts are imo the best rpgs on the PS2 that don't have SMT in the name. The story is dark but also contains a good amount of humor, with protagonist Yuri delivering priceless lines on a regular basis. The judgement ring system is a unique twist on turn based combat.

Persona 4 Golden
The likeable the cast, the fresh setting, the fantastic story and the incredible soundtrack combining Shoji Meguro's godly songwriting with Shihoko Hirata's angelic voice made for an unbeatable combo.

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
My favorite open world in gaming, full of fantastic questlines and fascinating creatures and characters.

Persona 5
In this game the cast tackles some of the major issues of modern society. Minblowing presentation, catchy music and a battle system and dungeons that are a huge upgrade over the previous 2 games are the standouts.

Panzer Dragoon Saga.
The epic journey on which you embark with your dragon, who evolves throughout the game and morphs in real time to suit your needs in battle, will stay with you forever. There's nothing else like it.

Demon's Souls
Exploring this world which shows you no mercy is an unforgettable experience. Memorable NPCs and boss fights combine with a truly oppressive atmosphere, still my favorite Souls game.

Nier
One of the best OST's ever made. One of the best, most tragic and touching stories ever written for a game. The smartest use of NG+ I've ever seen, This experience will change you.

Xenogears
The scope of the story blew my mind as a teenager. It touched upon themes that at the time I never thought I'd see in a game. A fascinating game.

--VOTE INFO START--

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Shadow Hearts Covenant
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Demon's Souls
Nier
Xenogears

Final Fantasy IX
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC
Persona 3 FES
Shadow Hearts
Digital Devil Saga
Digital Devil Saga 2
The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked
Persona 2 Innocent Sin
Shadowrun Dragonfall

--VOTE INFO END--

Man, maybe I should narrow it down to one game per franchise, I already knew half the list would be SMT/Persona but I don't feel this represents the wide spectrum of rpgs I've enjoyed.
It's also a shame I've only put a couple of hours into Divinity 2, I feel that it could make the list.

princegumby

Neo Member
Just starting on my exploring rpgs journey compared to many here, but these are the games that stick out as the best I have played.

1. Chrono Trigger
The finest pixel art I have ever seen, characters I actually care deeply about, and a story that is engaging. It has perhaps my favorite soundtrack of all time as well. I appreciate it's a game that respects your time and keeps the filler to the minimum. It tells it's great 20 hour story and then brings closure.

2. Horizon Zero Dawn
I feel that anyone that has any interest in action rpgs that haven't played this game yet should consider giving it a go. A fantastic female protagonist that comes across as intelligent and perfectly capable. I empathized with her struggles and feelings. While the melee element of the combat system is nothing to write home about, the ranged combat system is just plain fun. Combat felt challenging without being unfair.

3. Divinity: Original Sin
I enjoy the voice acting and how the game doesn't always take itself serious. The combat is often very challenging and yet is coupled with the feeling that many of my own party's deaths are my fault rather than the game deciding I was going to lose. Side quests feel more realistic then 'Go get me 10 sticks from that forest I'm standing right next to". I like its take on morality. Lots of gray and decisions that take thought. This is the current rpg I'm playing through and I'm enjoying it very much so.

4. Kingdom Hearts 2
Played this on PS4 on the recommendation of my brother in law. It was a relief that the camera issues of the first game were not applicable to this game. Enjoyable story with good humor. Combat is fun.

5. Star Ocean 2
I probably would have never played this gem except my wife holds this game as her childhood favorite game. Coming from a background of primarily pc gaming, the graphics did take a little getting used to on our tv. Once I was used to it however I could see why my wife enjoyed it. Combat is fast paced and fun for the most part (I could have done without some eternal length magic spells). I felt the first half of the game is the best, but still enjoyed the second half.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Horizon Zero Dawn
Chrono Trigger
Kingdom Hearts 2
Star Ocean 2

--VOTE INFO END--

I'll try to put up my ballot over the weekend. I don't think any post-2015 games make the cut (barely started D:OS2), but there may be a little moving and shaking in the top twenty.

God only knows which game, if any, I will call underrated on GAF. These days I get most of my RPG recommendations from GAF, so almost by definition nothing I play for the first time is going to be underrated (unless you want to say all CRPGs are underrated as a function of GAF's console tilt). Plus GAF tends to be on the excitable side anyway.

Ludens

Banned
1- The Witcher 3. I was simply stunned from the game. I read all the books before, but the game manages in the difficult thing to be interesting both for newcomers and veterans of the Witcher. The game was filled with quest, none of them was a fetch quest (if you exclude some nests to clear and stuff like that), each own with a unique plot and well underlined characters.
The game was also massive, so big but never boring, not even for a single moment. The writing is superb too, my favourite rpg of all time.

2- Final Fantastìy VIII. Yeah, VIII and not VII. Why? Probably because it was my first FF. I read about it in magazines when I was a kid (my parents can't really purchase me videogames, not too often, usually just once per year, and magazines were the only way to imagine those games which looked fantastic)....so when I received it as a gift for a promotion I was amazed. Going blindly in what was my first rpg ever was a wonferdul experience, that giant world to visit, those hidden places waiting to be discovered, the italian translation, so I could understand everything (I was a kid and I was still learning english in school, in a very basic way as you can imagine). This started my love for FF.

3- Planescape Torment. A unique game in which the real protagonist is the story, the verb, where words are powerful than swords. And a very strange world too, where people can avoid the Death, where the magic is so arcane and strange that can rule over different worlds called planes. It was something totally different, and since I simply love reading, I felt in love with it.
4- Chrono Trigger. This was...something new, which I played when SNES wasn't a thing anymore, on a PSX so with new cutscenes added. The game is unique, because it merges the "style" of Final Fantasy and the character design of Akira Toriyama (yeah, Dragon Quest did that before but I never played a single chapter of this franchise). The big thing here was the option to travel back in time hoping to defeat the ancient evil and avoid the world's destruction. The soundtrack was amazing, the battle system was amazing, it's impossible to not love this game. And as usual, I played it blind back in days, and only a couple of years ago, when my brother replayed the game, I discovered you can get Magus as party members. Plus, there are tons of alternative endings.
5- Parasite Eve. The first one, not the second of course. Why? Because it's a jrpg settled in modern days. And it was something totally new somehow. Tha opera intro is still fascinating, Aya Brea a great character trying to stop the incoming menace investigating around. The game is very short, it can be beaten in six hours or so, but man if I miss it. It's one of the game I would like to see remastered, simply because the digital version is US exclusive, not available in EU countries. And in those days, you still can't find something similar to Parasite Eve (and FFXV doesn't count).

It was very hard to make a list, so I think five entries are good representative of why I love those games, listing other titles would be pointless in my opinion because every person has a list, more or less, but just some games take a special place in your life: those are mine for this genre.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;
{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Final Fantasy VIII
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Witcher 3
Chrono Trigger
Parasite Eve
Pillars of Eternity
Deus Ex

--VOTE INFO END--

Nbz

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
Without a doubt the best JRPG of the last decade. There is no contest when it comes to world building, likeable characters a complex engaging battle system and an insane story that keeps you on the hook the whole way through.

2. Final Fantasy XIII
This game gets a lot of shit. Too much shit. I found it hard to get into RPGs because of their open endedness and scope - to put it bluntly they scared me away. But XIII is straightforward, linear and soothes you into its battle system, which is to date still my favourite JRPG battle system of all time. It welcomed me into the world of RPGs when other games couldn't, and that is something I'll always thank it for

3. Earthbound
Earthbound is genius. It was was ahead of its time, with mechanics like instantly defeating weaker enemies when you ran into them and constantly changing locations with crazy twists that delighted and surprised me. Not to mention it is incredibly charming, hilarious and engages with politics, religion and a whole host of other issues in a light hearted, but ultimately interesting way. What a delight.

4. Persona 4 Golden
I don't think this cast of characters will ever be topped. I remember that time we all hung out at camp and the girls couldn't cook ANYTHING well. I'll always have the memory of asking out Rise out to the festival and how we made a wish at the shrine. And that final moment, when we all came together, figured it all out and saved the day. This game is more special than I can put into words.

5. Chrono Trigger
The perfect pacing. I never had to grind in Chrono Trigger and it was a joy. The varied locations, the time travel, the wonderfully diverse cast of characters and an immensely satisfying battle system that had me switching and swapping to find the best combinations culminates in undoubtedly an all time classic.

6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
I think my list is defined by characters and compelling stories, and none better defines that than the Witcher 3. The hunt for Ciri was a wonderful adventure that felt perfect in its length. Hanging out with Triss again, getting to know Yen and eventually coming together with everyone in a grand battle for our home, whilst forging a relationship with Ciri that would ultimately define the games end. Not to mention the best side quests in video games.

7. Fire Emblem
My first and my favourite. Fire Emblem has always been about the strategy, the levelling and making damn sure I never lose a character. This game is the perfect incarnation. 2 Great campaigns, amazing Lords, a likeable cast, and varied fun maps. The full package.

8. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
By far the hardest Fire Emblem I've ever played, but also the one with the most incredible map design. Every map has its own interesting objective, side objective or wrinkle to make you approach it with great thought and consideration. It amounted to one of the most intense and satisfying experiences I've ever had with a game.

9. Final Fantasy VII
It's just damn good. Even playing it in 2016, I see why it is so beloved. There is a unique charm to the polygonal models and pre rendered backgrounds, the materia system is so well thought out - not tying abilities to characters, but rather making them movable. Boss fights that thrilled but never killed and a perfect difficulty curve without the need to grind.

10. Pokemon Gold
The best sequel ever made. Gold came during the time when I was Pokemon obsessed and didn't play anything else, and it blew my mind. When a friend told me you could go back to Kanto, I didn't believe them. It was one of those things you hear on the playground - but it was true this time. I entered bug contests, levelled up to 100 and tried to put together my ultimate team whilst also doing mystery gift with my friend every time we hung out. A once in a lifetime game.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Xenoblade Chronicles
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Final Fantasy XIII
Earthbound
Persona 4 Golden
Chrono Trigger
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Final Fantasy VII
Pokemon Gold

Persona 5
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Undertale
Tokyo Mirage Sessions &#9839;FE
Dragon Quest VII

--VOTE INFO END--

Vertti

Here's my top 10 in alphabetical order

Bloodborne
The pinnacle of Souls series. Plays so nicely and has awesome cohesive art style throughout the 30+ hours of adventure. Location and enemy desing is fantastic, one of the best in any game ever. The gameplay is really aggressive and fun. There are so many different weapons that play very differently giving huge replay value. And those bosses. Damn it's hard to come up with game that has so many great boss battles. An absolute gem and easily one of the best games of this console generation if not the best.

Chrono Trigger
It has been said many times why this game is special and I think I can't add anything that hasn't been already said. It's just so well flowing JRPG with extremely good production value. Meaning the graphics, story, soundtrack, gameplay etc. are all top notch showing no effect of aging.

Dark Souls
I'll write something later.

Earthbound
Gameplay or mechanics wise Earthbound has no reason to be in my top10 list. But I have to say that everything else is just so magical that I can't but adore this quirky SNES rpg. The soundtrack is my favourite of any game. The story has some really cool moments from lighthearthed fun to some really somber moments. Special game that isn't for everybody but I know I'm not the only one who loves this game to death. Everyone should play Earthbound at least once.

Final Fantasy VI

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix

Persona 5
I was really hyped for Persona 5 after playing Persona 4 last year. And it delivered. Social link stuff is really addictive and the dungeons and battle system are both really polished. It tells something I played over 100 hours in just two weeks! I know that some think that the pacing is mess but the game grabbed me so well that I didn't have any problem with the slow pacing.

Suikoden II
It's hard to go back to many PS1 JRPGs but Suikoden is as great as it always was. Surprisingly solid story with some nice themes. Great antagonist, awesome soundtrack and the really fun recruit/castle building mechanics. The battle system is fast paced and while quite simple still really fun. I haven't played any of the other Suikoden games but maybe I should because II is absolutely of the greatest RPG experiences I've had.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Undertale

--VOTE INFO START—

Bloodborne
Chrono Trigger
Dark Souls
Earthbound
Final Fantasy VI
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
Persona 5
Suikoden II
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Undertale

Jawmuncher

1.Mass Effect 2 - My favorite RPG of all time. Mainly since the RPG mechanics are streamlined. Allowing the game-play and story to be uninterrupted throughout your time playing it. The cast of character's still sit vividly in my mind whenever I think back to it and the great moments it gave.

2.Atelier totori - A hugely underappreciated RPG. Especially when you consider that most haven't even played it. hell I almost never played it and just decided to since I needed something new on my Vita. The timer based mechanic reminds me of Dead Rising but it never gets uncontrollable. Playing an RPG from the perspective of someone not heavily into battles was quite refreshing.

3.Fire Emblem Awakening - This soft reboot for the franchise got me into Fire Emblem. The Fire Emblem mechanics at their base needed no changing. But additions such as being able to pair up teammates to attack together and stay in the same square adds so much to the tile. Especially when said pairings can result in marriages and other great dialogs between the two.

4.Persona 3 - Another surprise RPG I played. Bought it for my PSP just to have something to play and became very engrossed. Not stopping to play until I was done. The darker elements add so much to the game and the battle system's focus on weaknesses was a nice change of pace to what I was used to at the time.

5.Bravely Default - This RPG sits highly for me mainly because of outside the high production values for a 3DS title (Music and artwork mainly). The title turned the RPG series on it's head with a lot of neat additions such as being able to control the random encounters and speed of the game. Letting the player tailor make their experience.

6.Final Fantasy VII - The de facto classic. It deserves all the praise it gets and nothing much more I can add that hasn't already been said. However I will say that the game still holds up great today.

7.Chaos Rings - While this RPG for the longest was a Mobile Exclusive. It was the first title on that platform that felt right at home if it were to come to consoles (Which it ended up doing alter on). While the battle system is simple, by the end the story has so many twists that you stay engrossed with everything being thrown at you.

8.Demons Souls - At first I found this game to be too hard. Ended up just giving up and forgetting about it. Out of the blue I decided to try it again with new found knowledge and asking for help from those around me when I was unsure what to do. Because of this the game manages a high spot from the gameplay alone. Overcoming tough but fair challenges can't be beat.

9.Undertale - The fact that Undertale defies convention compared to many other RPG's is why I love it so much. As you have seen a common trend in a lot of my RPG favorites are the stories and this is no exception. I don't want to spoil anything since the less you know about Undertale the better. But you're in for a treat if you decided to play it. The only thing i'll say it every battle can be beaten without combat. That's something you should strive to do so you can see just how unique this game is.

10.Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance - Still the top of the pack when it comes to loot RPGs. Diablo step aside. Getting weapons all the way from the sunset mountains while having a buddy on the same couch help you through the expertly crafted dungeons has you more than committed to keeping with the trend of more loot. So you can become the super-powered warrior you've always wanted to be in Baldus Gate.

11.Xanadu Next - The easiest way to explain why Xanadu Next appealed to me is to go with a tired saying. It's basically a Souls game. While it did come out before that series it shares a lot of it's conventions while offering it's own spin on things. The fact that it's so old and I only played it last year and felt like it could've been a title released that year by a smaller developer shows just how expertly it has aged.

12.Ys: Memories of Celcet - My first foray into the Ys series was a pleasant one. It's nice and simple and is a easy starting point for someone who has never played the series. The simplicity throughout is what interested me the most. T:MoC is just a nice adventure that never asks too much of the player.

13.Doom 2 RPG - If you had asked me if Doom as an RPG would work. I'd tell you no in an instant. Thankfully I was completely wrong in that fact. Doom 2 RPG uses the old engine and applies a RPG mechanic on top of it. Allowing for a nice twist especially when it comes to first person RPGs.

14.Chaos Rings Omega - The sequel to Chaos Rings and what I feel is required playing if you enjoyed the first game. It expands on the story while keeping the gameplay familiar to that of the original. The revelations it opens up for the first game (since this is a prequel) are worth seeing. Just be sure to play it after the first game.

15.Dark Souls - The spiritual successor to one of my all time favorite RPG's might not be as good. But it's still an entry worth playing. A lot of nice changes and a new world to explore keep you on your toes and allows the enjoyable tough but fair game-play to continue once more.

16.Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - I've never played a Mario RPG until this. Despite that I couldn't put it down. The two brothers offer a unique adventure filled with comedy, beans, and simple at first combat that becomes a true test of skill by the end of the game. I'd never felt so satisfied beating an RPG as I did ML:SS

17.Dragon Age 2 - DA2 gets a lot of hate. But despite it's constant asset reuse. I find it to be the best in the series. If you ask me it has the best of everything out of the series. The best story, the best characters, the best gameplay. While the other issues I can understand drag it down for others. More people should try and give it another chance.

18.Fable - Peter molyneux might've promised the world with this game and failed in that promise. But we still ended up with one hell of an RPG that tried to do new things and succeeded. Being able to choose Good or Evil and see how it affects the game as a whole is a sight to behold and with the gameplay being simple yet engaging. You stay hooked till the end to see how the story plays out.

19.Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - A nice prequel to FF7 with a lot of great moments. It's easily the best game we got out of the FF7 spin-off projects. Zach's story is one worth going for especialyl for the Fan Service it provides for fans of the FF7.

20.Project X Zone - PxZ is mainly on here for all of the great moments it has. The gameplay is fun but can get a bit repetitive. But the fan service between all the different companies is worth seeing and while repetitive the gameplay holds true through the end and offers quite the satisfaction when you pull of the right moves to get the most amount of damage.

--VOTE INFO START—

{HIGHLIGHT – 3 points} Mass Effect 2
{UNDERRATED – 4 points} Atelier totori
Fire Emblem Awakening
Persona 3
Bravely Default
Final Fantasy VII
Chaos Rings
Demons Souls
Undertale
Balduer Gate: Dark Alliance

Xanadu Next
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Doom 2 RPG
Chaos Rings Omega
Dark Souls
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Dragon Age 2
Fable
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Project X Zone

--VOTE INFO END--

Fou-Lu

Just a quick Google search

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/15rs54/neogafs_essential_rpgs_2013_edition_a_list_of_50/

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/neogafs-essential-rpgs-top-50.96432/page-2

http://www.listchallenges.com/neogafs-50-essential-role-playing-games

https://www.grouvee.com/games/?tags=NeoGaf Top RPGs 2013

I have nothing to do with any of that.

I remember coming across other reddit threads in the past. The lists get mentioned on social media as well. Rpg codex and Ultima codex mostly make fun of us, but it is what it is.

That's cool! I am glad there is some spreading of the word.

It is pretty sad how often mention of NeoGAF on other sites devolves into people who were banned complaining about us being an echo chamber that banned them for 'just stating their opinion'.

I don't know if I'll qualify for CSH, but hopefully my posts reach someone's eyes :) I'm relatively new to gaming, so my entries may skew towards the newer era of games~

c1PWYgi.jpg

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky FC + SC

Technically, I'm advocating for SC - however, you absolutely cannot enjoy the Second Chapter without having played the first. These games follow Estelle and Joshua, two teenagers who set out to join the Bracer Guild (a sort of people's militia type deal, where Bracers serve the people and protect them/do tasks for them) in their home country of Liberl. The first game follows these two as they travel from place to place throughout the entire country, while the second games picks up from the crazy cliffhanger ending of the first. I don't want to give any more details about its plot, because its EASILY the strongest positive of this duology. Estelle Bright is one of my favorite protagonists ever - she's sassy, headstrong, stubborn, and takes no **** from anyone. Despite that, she undergoes a believable but significant character arc throughout the two games, and her counterpart Joshua undergoes great development as well. They balance each other out well, and the pair is just an absolute joy to follow. Ignoring the characters, the worldbuilding is one of the reasons the Trails series is so well known. Each city within the country in Liberl has its own detailed history, products for trade, and NPCs that EACH come with names and their own interesting plot arcs. The country of Liberl also is fleshed out, and I've honestly just never seen a universe as detailed as the Trails series creates through multiple entries. What's particularly impressive is that NPCs' plots progress with or without player intervention - thus, it makes you feel like you're really part of a living, breathing world that keeps on moving whether you do something or not.

The gameplay is.....serviceable. The combat is a quasi-Strategy RPG type system, where characters will move around on a field-board area and unleash attacks/magic. You can also manipulate turn order through time delay attacks and speed buffs, but these entries weren't as broken with that (*cough* Cold Steel games *cough*) The animations are slow, but luckily the PC entries added a Turbo function so now you can zip through battles and make them go faster in order to get to the good stuff: the dialogue and characters :p There is a really fun customization system however: the Orbment system allows you customize Arts for each character (magic), giving you certain Buffs and skills in the process. It's a super fun puzzle to figure out how to best max your characters, and I spent hours tinkering with the system.

I could write about these games forever, but if you play anything from this list just play these two. They're nothing innovative, but are a memorable and heart-warming experience.

BVjGURG.jpg

Fire Emblem (GBA)

Keep your Awakening and Fates - to me, Fire Emblem for the GBA remains the shining achievement of the series (atleast of those released in America). The triple protagonists bounce off each other really well, and I personally loved the perspective shift mid game (don't worry, not a spoiler). Speaking of characterization, supports are in this game but actually feel substantive compared to the superfluous conversations of Awakening/Fates. Because the number of potential supports per character is much smaller this time around, support conversations reveal unique character traits about each unit, and (more importantly) critical background information that explains character history a bit more. This was also before FE drowned in the anime archetypes, so each character imo are more subdued and "dignified" (for lack of a better term), which I appreciated. The maps are well designed (my personal favorite in the series), the game rules are intuitive, the difficulty is juuuuust right, and the objectives per chapter are super varied as well. The plot is also nothing revolutionary but definitely engrossing enough to get you to the end. This game is also ripe for replays, as you get an all new mode to play in on your second playthrough and even have the chance to get more story insight on critical plot characters (depending on how you play). The animations are also gorgeous and I love the graphics of the game, but ymmv on that. Despite the QoL conveniences Awakening brought, It's still imo a great gateway game to get people into Strategy RPGs, and I highly urge everyone to give it a shot! May the RNG Goddess be ever in your favor ;)

N4bq8I1.jpg

Tales of Vesperia

Symphonia is cool and all, but Vesperia is REALLY where it's at. In my opinion, Vesperia is the most engrossing entry of the entire series. The amount of content is insane: there's just so much to do within the world, even in the vanilla X360 version. The main protagonist, Yuri, is so atypical from what you come to expect from most RPG protagonists (especially Tales) - he's a vigilante who's cynical of the effects of the law and decides to enact his personal brand of justice on criminals. It's nothing too grim, but the game's exploration of the meaning of justice during Acts 1 and 2 is well done. Act 3 takes a nosedive in terms of plot quality, but you'll enjoy the characters so much that it won't even matter. Speaking of, each character is so VARIED in terms of how they play in the game. From a spearswoman who excels in aerial combat to a wolf (that's right, you can play as a WOLF) who prefers quick/up close combat, you will easily find someone who you click with right away. Team Symphonia really got the battle system right this entry, and I never got bored of getting into random fights and playing around with different arte combos. With the multitude of sidequests located throughout the game, you'll also never run out of things to do. And the graphics, man - that cel shaded style just holds up so damn well. It's a long, long adventure, but one you'll end with a dumb smile on your face. This may sound as a weird comparison, but ToV is truly the comfort food of RPGs.

YEEsBmT.jpg

Persona 5

You could honestly put any of the Persona entries here, but I personally thing the QoL improvements brought to this entry (Fortune teller/Kawakami, anyone?) along with ACTUAL DESIGNED DUNGEONS make this the one worth playing out of all of 'em. If you have ever scoured this board once, I'm sure you're familiar with Persona 3-5. It's a social sim RPG dungeon crawling mix of a game where you essentially go to school and make friends/flirt during the day, and fight baddies via supernatural powers in your free time. In my opinion, Persona 5 doesn't have the best story (that goes to Persona 3) or the best characters (that goes to Persona 4). What it wins is sheer amount of content and (more importantly), heart. There is so much to DO in your free time, with the beautifully-crafted locales of Shibuya, Akihabara, etc. including a wealth of minigames, social links, and other goodies within their midst. The "Confidants" are particuarly interesting as well, with my standout being Kawakami (your homeroom teacher) and Takemi (the local doctor). I'd honestly put P5 side characters as the best in the series (though P4 has the best main cast imo). The dungeons are also very well designed/animated, with interesting (if sometimes tedious) puzzles and enemies located throughout. If I had one MAJOR complaint about the game, it is that the run time is disgustingly long (with some story arcs being more draining than engrossing) and pacing starts to drag near the end. If I could shave off some time from the game, it'd be a masterpiece. As it is now, it's an amazing game with some flaws that you should play regardless.

ruasLsb.jpg

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

I'll round this list out with one of the classics, one that I actually played only two years ago but fell in love with just the same. Lunar 1 could also fit, but the gameplay improvements in 2 are undeniable. Lunar 2 Eternal Blue is a rare example of a game where the gameplay was merely serviceable, but the overall experience is undeniably quality. The magic is in the story/characters, with thanks given to the wonderful translation by Working Designs. Lunar 2 has charm dripping off every line - from the drunken priest with quips for everything to the kind dancer with a ~secret past~ and all the eclectic characters you meet along the way, you will fall in love with this world and every thing it has to offer. The soundtrack also adds to the magic of the experience, with songs actually recorded in English (Lucia's theme was particularly beautiful) and cheesy VA that actually adds to the overall old-school vibe the game gives off. The graphics are also a pretty pixel art style as well, with actual FMVS (voiced in English as well) interspersed throughout the story.You don't need to have played the first entry, but the weight of a certain character appearing plus other small story tidbits won't have the gravitas it normally would. To anyone playing through the game, the amount of love and effort put into it by GameArts and Working Designs will be readily apparent. Lunar 2 has stolen a piece of my heart, and I'll be shocked if people who see it through would not say the same.

Also, it has the best epilogue of all goddamn time - so there's that to consider :)

vtycl3o.png

Undertale

Anyone who's played it knows why it needs to be included. A fun little two hour adventure that provides an interesting meta-commentary on RPGs, has complex characters, and a kickass soundtrack? Oh no, it's meeting all my standards!!!!!!

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky SC
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Lunar 2 - Eternal Blue
Legend of Heroes -Trails in the Sky FC
Persona 5
Undertale
Tales of Vesperia
Fire Emblem (GBA)

--VOTE INFO END--

Iryx

Charming dialogue and some great characters takes the center stage in this game. Not afraid to put you in situations most other games wouldn't, here you battle trough a a Wrestling League and solve murder mysteries on a train.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Capitalism, ho! Stuck in debt, you have to run an RPG-style Item Shop in order to pay it off. When you're not extorting all the NPCs for everything they own, you can follow one of the adventurers you've sold gear to on their dungeon runs to pick up more free stuff to sell. Combat is very simple, but the characters and the dialog makes the game shine.

Terranigma
A journey to restore the world and life itself. Some great action-rpg combat and a fantastic soundtrack.

Persona 4
A small town murder mystery combined with some great characters. I loved the management between your social life, personal improvements and the dungeon crawling and how they the social aspects improved your ability in combat.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade makes you feel so small, with its giant areas that takes hours to traverse. Great cast, combat and soundtrack all make the game a joy to play.

Etrian Odyssey 4: Legends of the Titan
Make your own party, draw your own map and explore the world and the dungeons therein. As the Etrian Odyssey series has refined itself with every new entry, 4 has gotten rid of some of the series more annoying features while still keeping the core gameplay intact.

The World Ends With You
A memorable cast of cast of characters set in modern japan, very different and with a lot of style. It also has one of my favourite battle systems, just Neku alone on the bottom screen is fun, and trying to play both screens at the same time makes it feel great when it all comes together.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
A long and fairly tough first person dungeon crawler with enjoyable characters and multiple endings. Demon Fusion means your party is always changing, and the dungeons are long and sprawling.

Pokémon Black/White
Pokémon is one of those game series I started playing a kid and never stopped. Out of all the entries in this series, I feel like Black and White was the best. It featured only all-new pokémon until the post-game meaning every pokémon encountered is a new species and it manages to emulate the feeling of Red and Blue while still having the improved mechanics of later generations. There is also an increased focus on plot compared to other entries with N being one of the more interesting characters in the series.

Tales of Symphonia
Symphonia is an important game for me, since it pretty much introduced me to the genre of RPGs. While I had played some Pokémon when younger, this was the game that made me think "I need to play more games like this." Storywise Symphonia is pretty simple but enjoyable and I was fond of most of the characters. The combat was a highlight for me, and so I never got tired of it even when the plot was getting a bit thin.

Honorable Mentions:
Dark Souls
Persona 5
Chrono Trigger
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Paper Mario
Undertale
Pokemon Red/Blue
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Darkest Dungeon
Infinite Space

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points}Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points}Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Terranigma
Persona 4
Xenoblade Chronicles
Etrian Odyssey 4: Legends of the Titan
The World Ends With You
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Pokémon Black/White
Tales of Symphonia

Dark Souls
Persona 5
Chrono Trigger
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Paper Mario
Undertale
Pokemon Red/Blue
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Darkest Dungeon
Infinite Space

--VOTE INFO END--

Either some real interesting customers have entered GAF since Kuwabara's entry for all of these deep cut cult classics to be in so many top 10s (either that, or my incessant rambling about said deep cut cult classics IS WORKING mwahahaha)

I'll probably forego trying to ram thru DOS2 and instead cut it off before that with an expanded list of non-point semi-honorable mentions since so many tie into the top 20.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

Estelle's second wind in a beautiful created RPG. Bards still tell the story of how this gorilla met her boy.

t2nTtkY.png

:p

gngf123

I'll fill in more as we go:

Nier Automata LIST HIGHLIGHT
One of the best modern examples of video game storytelling, with much improved gameplay from Nier. A perfect entry point into the world of Yoko Taro.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
The big console SMT. Very strong gameplay and atmosphere. Many people's favourite and my 2nd favourite only because:

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey UNDERRATED ON GAF
My personal favourite SMT. The game does a brilliant job of making the Schwarzwelt feel like the hostile nightmare that it really is, and the assisting cast are great.

Etrian Odyssey 4
Minimalist storytelling and great dungeon crawling done right. I could've put any EO on this list but EO4 is the one I chose.

Great cast of characters, good difficulty and variety in levels. In my opinion the best Fire Emblem

Pokemon Black and White
In my opinion, the best Pokemon game. B&W for me will always be the point which marked Gamefreak finally trying to make an enemy organization that wasn't just yet another Team Rocket variant, with N being the forefront of this.The online play which was introduced in Diamond and Pearl was also improved a lot around this time, and I played competitively the most around this release. Also has some of my favourite Pokemon music.

Tactics Ogre
I'll be one of the odd ones out here: I personally prefer this to the much more widely recommended FFT.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
FPS/Survival Horror/RPG hybrid. High difficultly, constantly tense, and nothing quite feels quite like the Zone. Still more than alive through a dedicated mod community.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Pure 90's cyberpunk in JRPG form. I love it.

Legend of Grimrock 2
I wanted to put a PC DRPG on this list, and in my opinion this is about the best modern one out there. A big step up from Grimrock 1.

Mentions:
Nier - Like Automata, also a brilliant example of videogame storytelling
Digital Devil Saga
The Last Remnant - The PC version. Fixed up the 360 version a lot and actually become a very interesting JRPG.
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition - Amazing little turn based RPG with one of the best battle systems I've ever come across.
Devil Survivor - Mix of SRPG and JRPG gameplay works really well, and the story is significantly better than its disappointing sequel.
Neo Scavenger - Occasionally too difficult maybe (an easy mod exists), but a very deep survival RPG that is always interesting and doesn't hold back.

--VOTE INFO START—

{HIGHLIGHT – 3 points} Nier Automata
{UNDERRATED – 4 points} Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Etrian Odyssey 4
Pokemon Black and White
Tactics Ogre
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Legend of Grimrock 2

Nier
Digital Devil Saga
The Last Remnant
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition
Devil Survivor
Neo Scavenger
--VOTE INFO END--

kswiston

I'll fill in more as we go:

Mentions:

Digital Devil Saga

Is your quote from an earlier post? If not, could you take your list out of the quote tags? Quotes will get skipped when the vote tallying happens.

Thanks for participating!

xist

There are a lot of wonderful RPG experiences out there so I've been harsh and omitted some for personal reasons, such as SMT Nocturne (great experience but doesn't cut the mustard) and Final Fantasy VI.

Valkyrie Profile Silmeria - Whilst the first game was somewhat inscrutable and as a player you felt pushed through the game faster than you'd like, the second took all that was good and built upon it. Not enough games use Norse Mythology to tell their story and Silmeria seems to respect it's source material in doing so. The combat system with it's emphasis on juggling enemies to release crystals, the epic score and great visuals, the range of characters and their individual tales and the super hard bonus dungeon all add up to make this one of the best PS2 RPG's.

Final Fantasy Tactics - There's always arguments over the finest turn based strategy RPG but in my book FFT is up there. Despite it's somewhat mangled translation (in the original PSX release) and it's rock hard difficulty level and the possibility of saving yourself into an unwinnable situation, the sheer range of character customisation and the sad story of honour and betrayal draws me back again and again. If they ever remade this and fixed the enemy levels it'd be perfect (Story encounters are fixed levels, whilst random encounters are based upon your actual character level, meaning you can face a tougher challenge from some chocobo's than a plot battle!)

Vagrant Story - "I am the reinforcements..." From the word go Vagrant Story is stylish, with it's incredible translation, epic boss fights and intricate crafting system. It possesses and incredibly distinct look and boasts a dark and oppressive environment, with a combat system reminiscent of Parasite Eve. If anything it's too complicated and held back by the hardware of the time creating ridiculous load times on forging your weaponry. Rewarding multiple playthroughs with it's New Game+ mechanics and boasting a countless combination of offensive tools, there will always be something more to discover in subsequent plays.

Final Fantasy VIII - What can I say, I love FFVIII because it possessed a certain level of sadness and an attempt at creating a romance that changed over time. Whilst the levelling system was flawed, and some hated the change from materia to drawing magic from enemies and linking it to stats, this is a game where everyone could have a different experience. Not only has FFVIII created heated debate over what actually happened after the end of disc 1, not only does it have an amazingly poignant OST, but it has a minigame that eclipses all others - Triple Triad. An incredibly well realised card game in and of itself, used properly it can relieve a lot of the complaints made about the magic system. Squall is the introspective teen inside us all!

Star Ocean 2 Til the End of Time
- This game received a lot of flak for some reason, possibly because of a story event late in the game that some felt ruined everything, but the real time combat and the variety of environments really stood out for me. Taking elements of Star Trek (the Prime Directive) and journeying across different planets recruiting interesting characters to your party, each with their own distinctive traits, SO3 never really felt tiresome. The combat felt really fluid with combo's and juggling mechanics, and each member of your party feels different. Added to that an interesting crafting system that has you recruiting inventors and I have trouble faulting it's pedigree.

Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King - I almost forgot this one. If I was going to try to get my mother to play an RPG it'd be this one. That's not to say it's easy (it can be overwhelmingly punishing!) but it boasts a wonderful filly voice acted cast, bright and colourful graphics, a beautiful world to explore (with great crunchy snow effects) and a story that actually feels interesting. Monster collecting, characters that are all different and can be customised on level up and a bonus end game....it's just a wonderful experience, albeit simple in many ways.

The World Ends With You - There's something magical about TWEWY with it's incredibly complex mechanics which marry with the difficult to play dual screen mechanic....there's nothing quite like it at all! The plot gives us characters who change over the course of the story, the gameplay includes no random encounters, variable difficulty on the fly and incredible variety in terms of stat management. Want to influence how effective you are? Merely influence the popularity of the equipment brand you're using! Naysayers felt that controlling two characters on separate screens was a little too much, and whilst it does degenerate to button mashing at times, the sheer amount of content and unique gameplay style makes this a must experience.

The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim - Perhaps because it was my first Elder Scrolls experience, but Skyrim was a magical experience. The world was rich and varied (unlike the desolation of Fallout 3 for example), character customisation flexible and varied (want to be a werewolf? A vampire? A vampire werewolf!?!?) and it was absolutely packed with content. Whilst a lot of it's greatness comes down to the mod community enriching the experience, the joy of exploration in a living, breathing environment packed with lore and new things to find, Skyrim shows that it's possible to immerse someone without VR.

Shadow Hearts Covenant - Taking elements of the first game and just adding more "colour", Covenant created a complex and intriguing story with moments of humour and horror in spades. Not as oppressive as the first, but with a much more human touch, Covenant reuses the Judgement Ring risk/reward active combat system and conjures up a motley cast of characters. Set in the early 20th century, and including themes of the first world war, SHC mixes the occult with the real and manages to tell a tale that doesn't stretch the bounds of ridicule when it's done.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Valkyrie Profile Silmeria
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Shadow Hearts Covenant
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy VIII
Star Ocean 2 til the End of Time
Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King
The World Ends With You
The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

--VOTE INFO END--

kswiston

This thread is becoming more active thanks to Robert's generous offer.

I will make a google doc tonight of those posters who qualify for free CSH keys. Reserving a post early is not enough. The first 200 posters are going to be the first 200 who follow the instructions (list at least 5 titles with comments on why they chose each title). I should be able to tell at a glance what each of your games are. I know that one or two of you just did a single flow of consciousness paragraph. That doesn't count. :p

If you have one of those empty reserve posts on the first page, and want a game, make sure you go back and start your list. You can do 5 titles now and then go back and add to it or make changes at any point before the deadline if you want to.

In the meantime, there are well over 100 keys left, so you aren't too late.

illusionary

This thread reminds me how many RPGs there are out there that I still need to try to find time to play...
Regardless, here's my list, at least untiI I remember some crucial omission! The ranking is somewhat loose, but I've done what I can to differentiate between them in my mind:

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Geralt's adventure blew me away back in 2015, and that's even before its two superb expansions, A supremely immersive, detailed world, with fascinating story and characters, complemented by satisfying combat, neither too complex nor too simple

2. Chrono Trigger
The definitive JRPG in my mind. Great individual characters and party-building and, for its time, a revolutationary battle systemand the time-travelling mechanic/setting is one that I just find fundamentally interesting to explore.

3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
The SNES and N64 games demonstrated that Mario + RPG is a combination that fundamentally *works*; with TTYD, the formula is retty much perfected, with a charming, varied cast of character and silly yet well-judged story. As well as this, there's also a JRPG with mechnics with a surprising level of depth, and active battle mechanics that serve to maintain interest and involvement in the gameplay througout, despite it initally seeming simplistic.

4. Tales of Vesperia
I love the Tales series as a whole and, while Symphonia was my first, the jump to the Xbox 360 generation brought the series up to a new level in terms of the scope that the game can offers. Xbox One BC functionality sorely needs to be extended to include this gem!

5. Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate did D&D-style combat more faithfully and completely, but then Planescape just comes and shows that, well, who needs combat? The quality of the writing here is very rarely matched, and couples effectively with the darkly immersive world of the planes and the well-realised (and well-explained) amnesiac protagonist mechanic.

6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
A first-person persepctive, done right, is always a good route towards establishing immersion, and that's certainly what we've consistently seen from the Elder Scrolls series (at last, for those that I've played, from Morrowind onwards). Skyrim is easily the pinnacle of the series so far, honing the mechanics established earlier in the series - while some of these are simplistic to an extent, the full package comes together in a way that just feels *right*.

7. Deus Ex
Still a reference point for how 'immersive sims' should be done, the freedom of approach offered by Deus Ex makes it feel near-endlessly replayable. The sheer variety of possible approaches offered by Deus Ex's levels is stunning, with the prospect of another interesting opportunity and rewarding around every corner. The futuristic 'cyperpunk' setting is one that naturally appeals to me, which helps to push it higher still in my estimations.

8. Valkyria Chronicles
The emphasis on movement layered on top of an SRPG that shares many mechanics with the likes of Fire Emblem is still about as unique as they come for now... we need more like this!

9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
GotY for 2017, so far - the game is just superb in pretty much every way. It would be higher in my list, but for its status as an "RPG" being more tangential than most of the other games here.

10. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
We've seen the definitive JRPG earlier in my list, so here's the definitive CRPG. I can still scarcely believe how much detail was packed into this masterpiece, which I must have sunk easily over 100 hours into all those years ago. The game is very traditional in its mechanics, but - despite its rather weighty manual (I stillmiss those days!) - its computer-based implementation makes it much more of an inviting proposition than traditional table-based RPGs. Ultimately, though, the game's stories (both main plot and numerous side-quests) are what make it such a compelling experience, which still holds up today.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Chrono Trigger
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Tales of Vesperia
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Valkyria Chronicles
Deus Ex
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Mass Effect 2
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tales of Symphonia

--VOTE INFO END--

MoonFrog

It's interesting how you've framed Dragon Quest as a series "with a long history of innovation with respect to the overall structure" of the narrative and the scenarios within it - because it's absolutely true. DQIV and DQV are two of the most interesting RPG narratives I've ever played through, so it's incredibly bizarre that the series has such a reputation for staleness and tradition. DQIV in particular would be considered experimental if it dropped today, much less in 1990.

DQIII has a sort of "elder statesman" classic vibe to it that makes it my favorite in the series - it's just so well-designed, well-paced, and well-structured, truly a sweeping adventure in every sense of the word. But DQIV is my second-favorite in the series, and to be honest I think it might be the actual best game (setting aside my personal preference for III).

The great thing about the chapter structure is that it doesn't just affect the story - it affects the gameplay as well, sometimes in very interesting ways. Torneko's chapter in particular is one of my favorite RPG scenarios.

Also worth mentioning is the villain, who is my favorite one in the series. Tragic and relatable to an extent, plus a great fight too.

To anyone interested in playing DQIV, I would recommend playing the Mobile version (iOS/Android). The DS version cut the party chat, which is a huge deal, and is the majority of the way that the cast get their character development. That's a major part of this game, which is probably the most character-driven entry in the series.

Moreover, it runs contrary to the common preconception of the series as "tried and true, grindy, boring, and never doing anything interesting." It is really an ill-deserved reputation.

As to the other thing, it seems like the thread has taken off more!

I think I might be on the cusp of another post for later tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking about writing more about DQ or FE. So maybe I'll be able to bump it again.

Although I think Cosmic Star Heroine offer has been noticed now, so that should do some heavy lifting.

randomkid

found the list I posted when I thought this thread series was over, which was v. good and v. diverse, so here are 10 essential RPGs that each differ significantly in terms of atmosphere, mechanics, or structure, presented in chronological order.

Megami Tensei 2; begins with a mindblowingly meta intro that invokes nostalgia in the Famicom era, a Kaneko character sprite replaces blue-pointer-man on the (beautiful) world map!!, the LOSARM status occurs when you lose your arm. Buy it as the Super Famicom remake “Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei” on Wii Virtual Console and play the fan translation, Megami Tensei: Old Testament.

Shin Megami Tensei; the most elegantly plotted Shin Megami Tensei, a series of uncanny vignettes in everly increasing stakes, culminating in a final cathedral that reflects heavenly law and hellish chaos through both religious speechifying and floor map design. Read my Official Thread about it and buy it on iOS if you haven't updated your phone or tablet yet.

Revelations: Persona; there's no game that has matched its lurid dreamscape atmosphere, the most tasteful illustration of PSX-era philosophizing, choice (attention Gold Box fans) is the theme that pervades plotpoints, characters & battling, Mark danced crazy. Read my lengthy defense of it and buy it on eBay.

Soul Hackers; A vision of 1990s futurism and occultism, a showcase for multiple interesting interlocking subsystems for devil summoning, vision quests are true highlights: novel perspective switching through both game mechanics and aesthetics. Buy it on 3DS.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin; a manic wildly engrossing conspiracy-minded plot that never forgets to do kindly by its cast of characters, the best way to contextualize Persona 4. Buy it on PSN.

Shin Megami Tensei 3; quietly, artfully, demolishes the moral ‘complexity’ of all competing games, the greatest turn-based combat in RPG existence, the purest aesthetic vision of Kazuma Kaneko, the lonely grandness of the universe refracted through punk-rock demonology. Read my thread about it and buy it on PSN or Amazon.

Digital Devil Saga; a concise and brutal poem of an RPG, cyber-Buddhism, excellent dungeons. Buy it on PSN or Amazon if you don't want emulation issues.

Persona 3; A tarot journey with a "hip-hop" soundtrack, goth-animu becomes something greater than the sum of its parts, a mix of roguelike-like systems and simulation elements that manages to somehow work brilliantly. Buy it on PSN.

Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon; the tone of Japanese detective shows and Megami Tensei, Raidou’s cape fluttering across 20th century cityscapes, Adventure. Buy it on PSN.

Dragon Quest 5; PS2 version, this game is too good and you also collect monsters, but you don’t even know tho, buy it at a Book Off.

--VOTE INFO START—

Megami Tensei 2
Shin Megami Tensei
Revelations: Persona
Soul Hackers
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Digital Devil Saga
Persona 3
Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
Dragon Quest 5

This is a fun thread to read, thanks for putting together OP.

I don't only play rpgs - but I MOSTLY, and have always mostly, played rpgs. I prefer JRPGs, although I played lots of PC games (e.g., Warcraft and Starcraft) around the same time I was really getting into JRPGs via Final Fantasy. Mostly, I like being taken on a well paced, well plotted, character-driven journey without many modern trappings. Battle system/gameplay elements are important too (I'm not too in to visual novels), but they always take a back seat to story, for me, and work best when they directly support/integrate with the story (as opposed to existing in some weird parallel track requiring suspension of narrative rules).

That said, my top rpg, and top game, for 20+ years running, is Final Fantasy 6. Wasn't the first FF I played (I played 1 and 4 at friends' houses, and played FF Adventure and Legend (I know, Mana/Saga, but still) on GB. Certainly not the first game, or first rpg, I enjoyed. But it was the watershed moment for my gaming habit. Never had I been so sucked into the narrative of a game (and really, never since). Each of these little sprites existed in continuity with a big, bold, coherent world, with a home town, a backstory, friends, rivals, loves, HISTORY. And they followed believably from those back stories through the twists and turns and upheavals of 6's plot, each charting a believable and engaging arc through to the bittersweet end. Their personality was expertly sketched through economical writing and the way the battle system front-loaded character style (focused on unique special skills much more than gear). From the very beginning, defending Terra in the mines, I was hooked. I played the game on rental from Blockbuster, and had it for 48 hours. I put in about 36. I couldn't find my way off the floating continent (power leveled everyone while looking). I bought an FF3 cart, borrowed a friend's SNES, and proceeded to put hundreds of hours into the game, mostly late at night, on an old CRT, after my parents had gone to sleep.

While the characters and their journey hooked me, the aesthetics and music also played a huge part in my love of this game. Each design choice, and every tune opened even more depth to the characterization and world. I can think of no other game that has done so much to fully flesh out characters with so little.

I love the game just as much today as when I first played it, and still regularly dip back in. Would it be my top rpg if I hadn't played it when I was younger? Not sure. But as someone who spent most of his childhood reading escapist fiction (a LOT -- I wasn't allowed game systems), this was the game that opened up the possibility of a more directly involved type of escapist fiction, and it did it through bold, inspired aesthetic and narrative choices that still resonate over twenty years later.

My choice of Suikoden 3 for underrated was an easy one. This has long been one of my very favorite rpgs, edging Suikoden 5 for my favorite in the series. It's not reviled like 4, but many place it far behind 2 and 5, as a bit of an odd
Sgt.
duck. But for me -- and I love 2 and 5, 3 is the high point of the series, and the best rpg on PS2. True, the battle system took some getting used to, but once it clicked, I loved pairing up characters and sending them careening around the field, considering positioning and defense as well as attack. I particularly love the skill system -- few things more satisfying then super leveling the parry, dodge, or critical skills and watching the sparks fly. But it's the characters and world that drew me in most. So colorful, but almost never totally over-drawn. Chris is my favorite, but I could go on for pages about all the other characters too. They created characters rooted in believable diverse cultures, then set them on path to bump into each other as part of a broadly believable political brouhaha. The game maybe pales a tiny bit once everyone comes together, but not much. The music and art are still top notch too, I think, and the game has my favorite side quests/activities. And I simply love Thomas' chapters, and the way the base building was handled. Such a welcome pace changer in between the more traditional adventure chapters. Just writing this I want to go play again! I think Suikoden 3 has just as much heart and subtlety of character as 5, and is just as fun to look at and play as 2. Hugely underrated rpg in a storied series.

Witcher 3 -- in a world with no nostalgia, this might be my highlight game. Maybe. Probably not, but it would be close. No modern game has hit such story and character driven highs for me, and nothing has come close. The combat isn't the best (though fun once you get the rhythm of it), and sometimes the exploration/traversal over-stays its welcome. But the game is extremely well written and acted. Like, I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that, at its heights (e.g., much of Hearts of Stone, Bloody Baron, the early parts of the Northern realm), it's comparable to good literature and theatre. Indeed, it reminds me in many ways of the acerbic humanism of good post-communist Eastern European lit. Geralt, at the heart of the game, is incredibly well drawn -- dry, reserved, cold in some ways, but always, at core, a decent person in an incredibly indecent world/situation/profession. I love the way the game handles his moral compass and gives you lots of choices that bend and slightly alter it, but never break his core characterization. In the end, his arc is really about being a parent, and this was handled with great subtlety and care. Some of the most gratifying parts of the game weren't defending a keep or storming a ship, but rather sitting and quietly talking w/ Ciri as she tried to figure out some tricky stuff.

And it wasn't just the main characters who got top treatment. Many of the side characters are incredibly well and economically drawn. I'll just give a shout out to my favorite lady, Keira Metz. Geralt's interactions with her were the point where, despite initial skepticism over the grim-dark trappings and over-large/over-open Western rpgs, I really fell for the game. In your first meeting with her she's helping villagers with real, basic villager problems. She's doing it first and foremost because she needs a place to hide, and being a local wise woman affords just such a place. But she clearly loves the finer things, and is supremely irritated/disgusted by her loutish supplicants. However, she gives really good advice. Partly, yes, because she's a pragmatist, and a succesful wise woman is better disguise than a poor one. But also, it seems, because despite her snobbery, she can't help but help when the opportunity presents itself. The followup in her hilarious (laugh out loud for me) and clearly ironic witches nature haven just shows that, like Geralt, she has a very healthy sense of skepticism that doesn't stop at her own peccadilloes. There a perfect pair in some ways (maybe too good -- damn you Lambert).

I could go on an on (music, landscapes, etc.). But Witcher 3 is the western RPG par excellence for people who want character-driven story and gameplay to be privileged over absolute player agency and freedom. And that's me.

I place Suikoden 3 as the pillar of the series and PS2 jrpgs. But Suikoden 5 isn't far behind. The music/art isn't as good. The battle system is more by the numbers. Portions of the game drag (ugh, enough w/ the beavers and boring dungeons!). But this game has bucketfuls of heart, and does a superb job at highlighting the personal and familial cost to power politics. The relationships of the prince w/ his family, friends, and guards, are fantastic, engaging, subtle, and in some ways really beautiful. And the game is ballsy enough to give the story and characters room to breathe and establish these bonds in a believable manner. Sure, that leads to a "slow" start, but if you're in it for the characters and their relationships, it's all gravy.

Georg Prime is probably my favorite Suikoden character (close race w/ Chris), and I love the relationship here between him, the Prince, and Lyon.

Secret of Mana doesn't have what I obviously most prize -- meaningful characters wrapped up in a well paced plot. However, it was my first real action rpg, and the setting, aesthetics, and general fairy tale feel all hit home. Due to the seemless nature of exploration, and the strong sense of place, it was the first game that I felt I could live in via the characters. The story telling in something like FF 6 was miles better, but Mana was sort of like a main-lined fantasy interactive experience. I still enjoy playing the game too, and am looking forward to it on SNES classic. The battle system is janky, but I really like the real-time w/ charge system, gives a nice, relaxed pace to the battles. And the spirit/mana system is perhaps my favorite magic system in any game. Works really well w/ the other two characters, and always super fun to get a new spirit and try out their arsenal. This is just a classic, comfort food game for me, which perhaps explains its rather odd placement next to all these story and character centric games.

I don't have much to say about Chrono Trigger. I always really really liked it. Super streamlined, polished experience with a fun story and characters and great music. Particularly like Frog. I didn't really dig the ancient or future worlds, which brought it down a bit for me. Also, the plot, for as serious as it gets, doesn't really gel with the characters (why is this random village boy w/ no battle training saving the world w/ his excellent sword skills?). I prefer continuity between gameplay, setting, story, and characters, and this is what brought CT up short for me in comparison to something like FF VI. Still a great experience that holds up though.

Final Fantasy 7 -- also don't have much to say about this game. I was hyped sky high for it after my love affair w/ 6, and devoured every bit of media ahead of release (even convinced my parents to finally bite the bullet on internet largely so I could read about the game). In most ways, the game delivered. Good, deep characters, engaging, coherent world, epic journey, fantastic score. It didn't rise to the heights that 6 did for me in part because it was so messy and inconsistent in tone. Some of 7's real highs come from daring experiments w/ plot, character, and tone, but it doesn't always pay off. Also, the gritty realism didn't really resonate for me, well realized as it often was. In the end, I just don't think 7 does as much with its characters (except, probably, for Cloud) as 6 did, despite the enhanced cinematics. Still a fantastic ride and one of my favorite rpgs, just not the very top of the heap.

In a year when I thought it would be Persona 5, and much as I'm enjoying Ys VIII, Nier Automata will probably be my game of the year. I loved the original Nier (story just grounded enough and just weird enough to work, lots of heart), and this one had a story just as engaging and heart-felt and thought provoking, with super slick action gameplay as well. Nier is a philosophical journey, and the story never really deviates from the core themes that Taro wanted to explore. Identity, connection, memory, the meaning of life, the game explores all of these thoroughly and cleverly through the robot/android prisms. Some of Taro's tragicomic robots have 10 times the character of much more developed and realistic characters in big budget beloved modern games. Went in expecting to love the game, and found it topped even my expectations.

Ni No Kuni gets a lot of hate and conditional love. I'd like to give it some unconditional love. True, the battle system could have used more work. But the aesthetics and heartfelt journey carried me through this game never really minding the battling (I just rolled w/ Puss the whole way). One of my favorite exploration games of the last few generations, highlighting the value of a world with a lot less total content, but with a lot more bespoke character and charm. Roaming NNK's overworld, on foot, boat, or dragon was endlessly delightful, in part because one felt one COULD master/explore the whole thing. Probably best overworld theme of all time too, though Terra's theme gives a run for the money.

Persona 4 may be a flash in the pan for me w/ the SMT series. I really really like Persona 4, but don't really like any of the other games in the series all that much. I played it through in a feverish weak after liking (but not loving) 3, and found myself very attached to the characters, and enamored of the world and mystery. I know lots of folks found Naoto too intrusive, and felt that she essentially robbed player agency in the mystery, I but found she functioned like all the best narrative detectives -- heroes of information that yield up the right insight at the right time so you can keep up with the complexity at play, not pretend through shallow narrative tricks to actually be able to solve it on your own. Naoto and Kanji are probably two of my favorite jrpg characters, and the home life element of P4 was an excellent counterweight to the dark stuff in the story. 3 and 5 fall way short of 4 for me, and it's all due to how well drawn the characters are, how believably situated they are in the world, and how they grow and change together.

Less to say about honorable mentions.

Suikoden 2 is an absolute classic. Beautiful game, super fun to play, lots of good character and interaction in a believable world. It's a little paint by numbers in some ways 3 and 5 aren't (some of the arc of the later game w/ the big dungeons, the relatively generic characterization of the core characters, as nice as their interactions are), but it still delivers big time.

SD3 - I prefer SoM quite a bit, but SD3 has a more beautiful world, more engaging battle system, and I really really dig the class evolution system. Maybe my favorite class system in any game. Would play a localized version in a heartbeat.

Ancient Domains of Mystery is a departure from the rest of the list. A classic ASCII rogue game, spread across a big overworld w/ multiple dungeons. I've returned to this game throughout my life, but only finally beat it a few years ago thanks to major save scumming (and even that was a huge lift). The flexibility of class and character is huge, and the level of interaction w/ the world is pretty staggering.

I like all of the FF games in varying degrees. While 6 and 7 are my favorites, 4, 10 (then probably 9 and Tactics and 12 and 5) come next. I won't go in detail on each of these. 4 was the first game I played that really grabbed me (albeit not as strongly as 6 -- the pacing and feel of the intro falls off pretty hard before too many hours pass). 10 was the game I returned to gaming with as an adult after a few year's hiatus, and, though Tidus bothered me to no end, the world, score, and bittersweet journey still worked for me on a number of levels.

Tales of the Abyss was my first Tales game, and is still the only one I've really gotten absorbed by. Luke annoys many, understandably. However, I found his spoiled, solipsistic, shallow approach to life completely believable for a teen in his situation, and amusingly parallel to the attitude and character of many real life teens I know (some of whom complained about him as a character -- it can hurt to look in the mirror!). The story drags at times, and the characters can be annoyingly preachy in the back half. But Luke's journey still worked for me, and I was rooting for him to the end. And I love the score in this game for some reason(where most Tales games' scores leave me totally cold). Also the battle system was a nice middle ground between over-complicated and too simple. Just right for me.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is a forgotten PS2 game that never got much attention in the first place. Despite a lot of love for the original AtL games on PS1, this one never seemed to catch on. Maybe the budget was too low, or there wasn't enough marketing, but it's one of my favorite PS2 rpgs, easily. The characters are broadly drawn but consistent and fun (Bebedora!). The two teams on a collision course nature of the narrative is simple but works really well. The tactical turn based but still snappy combat is excellent, probably my favorite "tactics" battle system. Sure, the music and visuals and animation weren't top notch, but the game had everything else going for it, and it makes me sorry the series died soon after.

Original Nier was an awesome experience. I always found Drakengard TOO dark to really get into. And while Nier was dark, it had a redemptive heart that came through in the characters and interaction of Nier, Kaine, and Emil in particular. The weird gameplay diversions and fantastic score also worked great. I remember coming back w/ Papa Nier after the time skip, geared up and ready to kick shadow butt, then the game's first real twist dawned on me and I was the one who got kicked (in the gut). I took the self sacrificing road in the end, even though I couldn't play the DLC, and never regretted it. Such a weird but cool experience, and gave us the even better Automata.

Deus Ex Human Revolution had a lot of strikes against it for me. I'm not crazy about Cyber Punk, I find first person claustrophobic, and I'm not generally crazy about modern WRPGs. However, I gave the game a chance and got really into it. The tone is so consistent, the exploration and combat so cleverly arranged and apportioned out, and the story straightforward enough that it ended up one of my favorite PS3/360 rpg experiences.

Okami - I put this in honorable mentions not because it's not one of my favorite games (it's top 5 easily), but because I suspect many wouldn't consider it a true RPG. Certainly, if Zelda is, than Okami is, but I know that's an ongoing debate as well. I tentatively include it because: A. it has consistent and gated character progression, B. It has an engaging, character-driven story, and C. you travel across a big over-world listening to banging tunes. Beautiful game for sure, the brush mechanic is awesome, but it was the heartfelt story (hugely helped by the excellent character animations) that really made this special for me.

Whew, I feel like I probably forgot something. If I remember, I'll come back and amend. Tons of other games I've really enjoyed, but none I can think of with so few reservations as these.

EDIT: just remembered Dragon's Dogma and Bravely Default, both of which I'd like to include, but not sure where. Hmmmm...

--VOTE INFO START—

{HIGHLIGHT – 3 points} Final Fantasy 6
{UNDERRATED – 4 points} Suikoden 3
The Witcher 3
Suikoden 5
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 7
Nier Automata
Ni No Kuni
Persona 4

Suikoden 2
Seiken Densetsu 3
Ancient Domains of Mystery
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 10
Tales of the Abyss
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Nier
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Okami

--VOTE INFO END--

Battlechili

Banned
{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Nier
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
Final Fantasy XII
Devil Survivor: Overclocked
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
The World Ends With You
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

--VOTE INFO END--

Explanations:
1. Nier: I believe this is without a doubt, the greatest RPG ever made. Everything about it is solid; the Zelda-like gameplay, the beautiful music, the voice acting....But what really makes Nier stand out among the rest is its story and more specifically, its storytelling style. It manages to tell two very different stories just by withholding information from the player, and I think that is both clever and brilliant as far as creating a method by which games have more replayability and players can learn and see how different a story can be just from a change of perspective.

2. Solatorobo: In particular, I want to give a special explanation on Solatorobo. It is my personal favorite RPG and extraoridinarily underrated with regards to how much attention it gets. It has faults, in particular with its actual gameplay, but its just so many leaps and bounds ahead of other games in other regards. The game in particular is at its strongest with its worldbuilding, as it explains every little detail of the game world. Religions the people of the world follow, the history of the peoples and world itself, how people carry their currency, what people do for fun, what races there are and how they evolved, what people eat, how the monsters came to be, and so much more! The game has so much, and it makes the game feel that much more real. This is complemented by the fact that every character, even random NPC side-characters, get attention. The quest girl even has a quest she gives herself where you can go to her house and learn more about her. And with this focus on world and characters, it makes it that much easier to care about what happens in the story. And the story...Well, let's just say its like Gurren Lagann in structure. And that means the 2nd half the plot goes off the deep end in the best way imaginable. Solatorobo is a wonderful game, and well worth people's time.

3. Kingdom Hearts II: Where the others shine in story, this game shines in its gameplay. I would challenge players to find a more well balanced ARPG. The combat is so fast and fluid and the game gives you a HUGE amount of options to give variety to combat, and it does all this while making every tool it gives you useful. Magic, summons, limits, drive forms....It all has its place. And when added to a beautiful soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura, the game is a real treat.

4. Final Fantasy XII: This game is good for similar reasons to Solatorobo in that its at its best with its worldbuilding. Ivalice is such a heavily fleshed out world that it makes it really feel alive.

5. Devil Survivor Overclocked: Somehow Atlus managed to make an SRPG/regular JRPG hybrid and it worked out magnificently. I also just love this because its full of edge and Suzuhito Yasuda's artwork fits it magnificently. The large amount of choices given to the player with regards to how they move the story forward completes it.

6. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon: This may be a Pokemon game, but it doesn't feel like a Pokemon game. Or at least, it does pretty much everything better than the mainline Pokemon games. Gameplay is challenging and extremely rewarding, pushing players to prepare before dungeon crawling and make good use of the items they find. It pits you up against level 50 Pokemon really early on, expecting players to use everything they have appropriately and be extremely careful while fighting. When added to a wonderful soundtrack and a heartbreaking story that focuses on the best part of Pokemon (the Pokemon themselves), it makes for a surprisingly excellent JRPG that everyone should play.

7. The World Ends With You: This is probably the most unique game ever made. There has never been a game that plays like it, and that's a shame, as it demands a lot of the players attention. The use of the buttons and touch screen to control characters on the top and bottom screen at the same time makes combat really rewarding.

8. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky: This game has all the things that make Super great, but isn't quite as challenging or mechanically sound. It makes up for this however with a story that far surpasses Super's and has not one, but TWO campaigns.

I eventually want at least 4x the participants that we have had so far in this thread.

It's way too early to make any conclusions from the voting patterns of the 50ish people who have voted so far. I also have a few lazy ballots in my PM inbox.

Persona 4 coming out on top would be pretty surprising given that Persona fans just received a brand new title. Usually that leads to more vote splitting.

In the past two threads that I ran (2013 and 2015), the cut off for the Top 50 was about 30 points. The cut off for the Top 10 was about 70 points.

A couple years ago, before I was on these boards I asked over 400 people to give me a top ten rpg list.

I should post my results one day...I've sat on the research for years. It was a fun little project.

emag

1. Nier: Automata LIST HIGHLIGHT is a good game, by any measure. It's excellently paced (apart from a bit of route B), has fantastic music, and is amazingly fun to play. But what makes it exceptional is how it comes together in the end to become an artistic masterpiece; not merely in terms of art or music or story, but actual "high art" in a way that validates video games as a worthy medium. As far as I know, there's nothing else like it. For better or for worse, that element cannot be feasibly discussed without spoilers, and reading a summary or even watching a playthrough fails to capture the artistic nature of the experience.

2. Pool of Radiance UNDERRATED ON GAF is just under thirty years old, but it (and the Gold Box line that it introduced) has yet to be equaled, let alone bested, by other cRPGs. While Baldur's Gate had sloppy, WIMP-based gameplay, and Planescape Torment had to pretend that its painful combat was intentionally meant to punish players, Pool of Radiance delivered fast, smooth, tactical party-based gameplay that grabbed you from the first minutes of the game and never let go, while delivering a competent story and a clean UI. The whole Gold Box series is great (well, apart from the DragonLance games that lean way too heavily on established characters), but it started here.

3. Dragon's Dogma combines the feel of the classic arcade beat 'em up with a modern open-world RPG in a remarkable fashion. Sure, the storytelling and settlements are weak, but so what? The combat is wonderful, with a wide variety of classes and abilities, and brilliant enemy encounters. Balance pretty much goes out the window a few hours in, but the final area(s) of the main game and the entirety of the expansion dungeon, Bitterblack Isle, are the height of real-time RPG combat.

4. Chrono Trigger needs no introduction. It's just a clever, cute, fun ride that is full of little touches and a plethora of alternate endings.

5. Dragon Quest/Warrior defined the console RPG. It's short and simple, but its influence on the genre cannot be overstated. It helps that it's still pleasant to play. Dragon Quest III and IV were great follow-ups that are also worth playing.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Nier: Automata
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Pool of Radiance
Dragon's Dogma
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest

--VOTE INFO END--

FiveSide

Banned
2. Solatorobo: In particular, I want to give a special explanation on Solatorobo. It is my personal favorite RPG and extraoridinarily underrated with regards to how much attention it gets. It has faults, in particular with its actual gameplay, but its just so many leaps and bounds ahead of other games in other regards. The game in particular is at its strongest with its worldbuilding, as it explains every little detail of the game world. Religions the people of the world follow, the history of the peoples and world itself, how people carry their currency, what people do for fun, what races there are and how they evolved, what people eat, how the monsters came to be, and so much more! The game has so much, and it makes the game feel that much more real. This is complemented by the fact that every character, even random NPC side-characters, get attention. The quest girl even has a quest she gives herself where you can go to her house and learn more about her. And with this focus on world and characters, it makes it that much easier to care about what happens in the story. And the story...Well, let's just say its like Gurren Lagann in structure. And that means the 2nd half the plot goes off the deep end in the best way imaginable. Solatorobo is a wonderful game, and well worth people's time.

Legitimately never heard of this, will definitely check it out. Great rec.

1) ultima 7. HIGHLIGHT The first computer rpg I played, coming from a console background. I was blown away by what is essentially the ancestor to open world rpgs. Ultima Online was as well as you could spend all your time doing non combat stuff and still progress which is rare in games as well. I also dressed in a dress while sporting a green beard because clothes were not gender restricted. I spent days fishing and leaving cooked meals by the road for people rushing to go around killing things, robbed people for no reason except to horde. I got
Everytime people remember UO its always about how great it was griefing people who had no other mmos to migrate to so I didn't pick UO.

Ultima 7 is special because while there is an end game and a path to follow, you could (and I did) spend most of your time exploring a world where npcs have their own schedule, clicking on items to make them move and a very rudimentary crafting system without any skill checks. Ultima 7 is worth it for its historical value.

2) Suikoden. A lot of people will pick suikoden 2 but I like the whole series and the first one is a short one so it can give you a good glimpse of the series. Game has a ton of characters you can use in your party and you can be incredibly inefecient if you want the extra challenge. Game is simple enough but has a strong political story where important characters might die at a certain point if you are not careful or bad luck during the rock scissor paper wars. To me that makes the game stand out.

3) Fire Emblem awakening. The creators thought they were making the last game in the series so they went all out on references to past games through street pass battles and by bringing back the second generation of heroes of geneology of war but expanded the possibilities greatly and it paid off for them. The game has a lot of replayability in a way that rpgs don't usually offer it. Usually rpgs will have branching paths. In this series stats grow by a random factor so the guy you used to coast through the game last time mighy be weak in this playthrough so you need to adapt to what you are given.

4) Arc the lad 2. UNDERATED Was sold with 1 and 3 together in English but 2 is the one that stands out the most and not many people bought the series due to the increased price of buying a whole series at once. I am including this game because I found it very good and more people need to play it. Story is pretty dark with being an escaped test subject who tries to liberate another one. Its kind of like a cyberpunk rpg.

5) Persona 3. I haven't played 5 yet so I can't compare it to the newer one but this game is special because it basically combines a visual novel with a combat rpg. The game wants to combine the supernatural (like fighting monsters) with the everyday ordinary (building relationships with people) and uses a schedule system to do so. You have to manage your time in this game and you play a modern person while fighting mythological gods and creatures. The game also touches on psychology which is rare in other series.

6) Shadow hearts 2 covenants. Combines historical characters and the occult to explore the early 20th century which is rarely covered in non shooter rpgs. Tries something new with the turn based combat system by introducing player skill in the equation.

7) Front mission 5. Last *real* game on the series and gives it a good sendoff. Has a geopolitical story in the background and allows you to cripple enemies so they can only stare at you to death (blowing off their mechs limbs). Very satisfying linking system where several of your units can gang up and wreck an enemy unit.

8) Way of the samurai 3: Short effective game based on multiple play throughs to see everything going on over the course of several days. What if I killed this essential npc? Also has 1 hit death mode which is great and makes encounters with yard trash very challenging and bosses easier.

9) baldurs gate 2: story is ok, in party chatting is awesome and fine tuning your build is very interesting.

10) Grandia has dinner table conversation and a great sense of going on an adventure. In mod popular games I keep looking for grandia like dinner table chatter but no one is doing it ahhhh.

Honorable mentions are personal preferences and not necessarly unique enough to qualify as essential.

1) Not classified as an rpg but yakuza 5. In my opinion more of an rpg than skyrim. Explore real life locations grounded in pop culture references while playing with a very satisfying combat system.

2) The sims 3. Also not classified as an rpg but has systems that should appeal to rpg players, especially those who value player freesom.

3) Suikoden 5. My personal favourite since it really lends to *roleplay* as the setup is really good at immersing you.

4) alpha protocol doesnt look like an rpg but the branching paths and choices make for an interesting game.

5) ultima 4 Played it on nes and wasnt a super great experience but props to introducing morality and vitue to ultima. Also has my boys from ultima 7 like dupre and iolo.

6) fallout tactics turn based multiplayer and a point cost to make your roster. Was extremely interested from that point on but sadly turn based online isn't popular so the *other* mode was more popular.

7) grandia 2. Excellent game.

8) shin megami tensei 3 nocturne. great atmosphere and great combat.

9) xenosaga 1. Interesting game and loved the card game in it.

10) valkyrie profile interesting combat system and balancing act of who to keep around and who to sacrifice for points.

Basically buy a ps2 if you don't have one.

VOTE INFO START—

{HIGHLIGHT – 3 points} ultima 7
{UNDERRATED – 4 points} arc the lad 2
Title 3 suikoden
Title 4 fire emblem awakening
Title 5 persona 3
Title 6 shadow hearts 2 covenant
Title 7 front mission 5
Title 8 Way of the Samurai 3
Title 9 baldurs gate 2
Title 10 grandia

HM Title 1 yakuza 5
HM Title 2 the sims 3
HM Title 3 alpha protocol
HM Title 4 ultima 4
HM Title 5 fallout tactics
HM Title 6 suikoden 5
HM Title 7 grandia 2
HM Title 8 xenosaga 1
HM Title 9 shin megami tensei 3 nocturne
HM Title 10 valkyrie profile

--VOTE INFO END--

BasilZero

Title 1 - Chrono Trigger
Title 2 - Final Fantasy VI
Title 3 - Final Fantasy IX
Title 4 - Super Mario RPG
Title 5 - Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2
Title 6 - Breath of Fire II
Title 7 - Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Title 8 - Disgaea 1
Title 9 - Mass Effect 2
Title 10 - Persona 4

HM Title 1 - Final Fantasy IV
HM Title 2 - Final Fantasy X
HM Title 3 - Final Fantasy Tactics
HM Title 4 - Kingdom Hearts II
HM Title 5 - Pokemon Crystal
HM Title 6 - Terranigma
HM Title 7 - Persona 3
HM Title 8 - Star Ocean Till The End of Time
HM Title 9 - Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition
HM Title 10 - Final Fantasy VII

------
chronotrigger-sfc.jpg

Title 1 - Chrono Trigger
-I remember playing this game during the early 2000s, it was the first time I ever got to play it. Bought it for my PS2 via FFChronicles. I later went on and played the SNES version of the game. I must have played this game at least 10 times by now. I plan to play the DS version of the game (hoping it comes to PC :p). The story, the characters, the music, the design of the art style, this game is the personification of perfection for what a RPG is suppose to be. It introduced a lot of favorite elements and aspects such as time travel, sci-fi, pre-historic, etc. The game also introduced a key feature which was unique at its time, a new game+ which was amazing and had multiple endings (all of which I unlocked). I also did a playthrough series for it on my youtube channel.

Playthrough (SNES): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4E4B3F0395DBEBEB

480x360bb.jpg

Title 2 - Final Fantasy VI
-Possibly my most favorite game in the FF franchise. It was my 2nd FF game I ever played (first was FFIV on SNES). I remember renting the game but had no idea what I was doing. It would be many years later that I would actually get to buy it via the FF Anthology collection for my PS2. Like Chrono Trigger, I consider this to have in all of its aspects perfectly made for the genre. Chrono Trigger beats it a bit cause of its unique time travel themes, etc. It also consists of my favorite cast in the series. A lot of memorable characters such as Locke, Terra, Celes, Edgar and Sabin. I must have played this game at least 10 times as well - across SNES, PSX and GBA versions. I have the PC version which I bought last year, plan to play that soon. I've done a playthrough series and a LP as well with a friend.

Playthrough (GBA): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw7z9jXBz5S1Q8XaQKKUAUzL

LP (SNES): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw6FYS7TYW3dsVfNbLn8mDx5

final-fantasy-ix-ps4-1-ds1-670x377-constrain.jpg

Title 3 - Final Fantasy IX
-This was one of the first Playstation titles I've ever purchased. Infact its my first PS1 title and my 2nd overall title (bought it alongside Final Fantasy X when I bought my PS2 back in 2003). I instantly fell in love with the game, it had many memorable aspects that filled my nostalgia of classic FF games in contrast to some of the more modern FF games like FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII at the time. I love the story, setting and characters. One of the longest played FF games, it was very lengthy and very enjoyable.I didnt want the game to end lol. I was super happy when they announced a PC version and infact its my most expensive purchase of a single game on PC :p.I played the game a total of 3 times, twice on PS1 and once for Steam/PC which I did a playthrough of recently

Playthrough (Steam/PC): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw7EwmxLjQVorn33O6QHLbPu

latest

Title 4 - Super Mario RPG
-This was the last SNES game I had purchased years ago. Infact this game I originally rented in the late 1990s when I still had my first SNES. I really loved it but never got to buy it...that is until 2002 when I decided to buy a used SNES (my 2nd one since my first one was sold) and bought a used copy of Super Mario RPG. Despite having only one game for the longest of time, I must have done at least 5 playthroughs within the first two years I had the game. I loved it that much. It was the perfect combination of involving a universe of characters I enjoyed the most (Super Mario series) and combine it with the elements of my most favorite gaming franchise (Final Fantasy) - its only fault imo is it was too short. Other than that, I loved every aspect of it. I did a LP with a friend but I do plan to do a playthrough for it again in the future. I wish SE would get with Nintendo again and make actual sequel to the game. I love Paper Mario but it has nothing imo on Super Mario RPG.

LP (SNES): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw64mJ_b0PQWwB6GISy8Xb48

5dd0049551dd9af03c0cd642994d033d.jpg

Title 5 - Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2
-One of the first RPGs I ever played. I really wished this game came out in the west and if the Switch Mana collection were to ever come out in the US, I would buy it day 1! Anyways, I enjoyed playing the first game but it didnt click with me as much as compared to other RPGs, I was more of a turn based player but the sequel was amazing. I loved the story, characters, setting. I loved how the progression is a bit different depending on who you choose and that affects the ending and the final battle. I did about 5 playthroughs and as my favorite character too lol - Duran the Swordsman. I plan to play the game several times more in the future, this is one game I just cant get enough. I hope they make a remake of this game just like they are remaking the first one.

Playthrough (SNES): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL85DE965303957F11

Title 6 - Breath of Fire II
-My first Breath of Fire game, I remember renting this in the 1990s but had no idea what I was doing - I was new to the RPG genre. It wouldnt be another 10 years before I get acquainted with the game again. I finished the SNES version and then bought the GBA version and finished that too. I liked the improved UI (somewhat) and all. The game's main issue is the translation which was horrible, reminded me of the Legend of Heroes Tear of Vermillion translation which was ugh lol but that didnt stop me at all. I loved the game and played it at least 8 times across the SNES and GBA versions throughout the years. I even did a playthrough of it. I plan to do another playthrough of the game for the GBA version and I think I might do the fan translation for the SNES one in the future.

Playthrough (SNES): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw5xLJSib_M28NrtxmAO6P3r

Title 7 - Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
-The Kingdom Hearts series is probably my 2nd most favorite RPG franchise (1st is Final Fantasy). I bought and played every game if not day 1, then month 1 or year 1. I enjoyed majority of the series (ReCoded was bad but still lol) and have all of the original versions of the game alongside the PS3 HD Remasters and the PS4 HD remasters (hoping for a PC HD remaster collection :p). Anyways, BBS is my favorite (though its contending highly with KH2), its story and characters meshed with me so much specifically the main cast of characters, how they progressed through the storyline and how they ended up at the end. The remixes to the old tracks were amazing and the game even had some of my most favorite tracks such as a Battle of Great Valor. Unfortunately I did not get to record this great game (yet but I will soon via the PS4 ver).

header.jpg

Title 8 - Disgaea 1
-Disgaea 1 was my 2nd strategy RPG game (first was FFTactics). I remember seeing this game for the first time on PSM (The Unofficial Playstation Magazine) and always wanted to get it but never got the chance. I was really sad that the game sold out and I could not find it at all. Years later, NISA decided to re-release the game and I was able to buy it. I didnt wait at all and bought it instantly. I love the story/characters full of vigor and humor, the gameplay was amazing, blew my mind and the OST was fantastic. I spent at least 300 hours on the PS2 version and to this day remains to be one of my most played games ever. I bought the game again on Steam/PC last year and it is currently my 3rd most played game at 100+ hours. I'm still playing it little by little, already finished the main story and doing the extra stuff. I decided to record it this time as well :p

Playthrough (PC/Steam): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw7yhksFmtnAPu3QKCvn4pxf

header.jpg

Title 9 - Mass Effect 2
-Mass Effect 2 is my 4th western RPG (First two were Torchlight 1/2 and third was Mass Effect 1). Its my most played game in the trilogy clocking at 63 hours or so. That includes the main story + All DLC packs and yes I spent that much on the DLC, this is the PC version mind you. I spent $7.50 for the Steam Digital Deluxe Edition and spent $50 just for the DLC but it was worth every damn penny. I just love Space/Sci-Fi stories and ME series actually got me to enjoy the genre in a video game which was amazing. Although the game was far from a traditional RPG game regardless whether its a JRPG or a western RPG but that didnt stop me from getting my hands on it. I had an amazing experience with this game and I plan to replay the series again in the future.

P4characters.jpg

Title 10 - Persona 4
-The Persona series is a series I recently got into compared to other JRPGs. I first got into the Persona series back in 2011 by playing Persona 1 Portable, Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 3 Portable on the PSP. It wouldnt be until 4 years later that I would play Persona 4. I played the PS2 version since I dont have a Vita but that didnt stop me. I was planning to play the game because I expected P5 to come out few months later (it came out a year after that) but didnt bother me. I just loved it completely. It made everything I loved about P3 even more so. The OST is damn amazing and I just cant stop listening to it. Hopefully they decide to port/remaster this with the P4G content for PS4 or something. I would get it :p!

--------------------

Honorable Mentions Explanations

HM Title 1 - Final Fantasy IV
-This is my first RPG ever. I remember renting this in the early 1990s and had no idea what I was doing. It wouldnt be until another 10 years before I get a chance to play it again and it was through the SNES version and of course the PS1 version as well through FF Chronicles. For the longest of time, it was one of my most favorite RPGs and even though its not in my top 10 overall, it is in the top 5 of my top 5 favorite FFs. I played the SNES, GBA, PS1, DS, and PSP versions. I even have the Steam/PC version which I bought last year , havent played it yet but I will soon. I just love the cast of characters and Cecil was a character I could relate to a lot during the time. I also have a fixation with Paladins not just in FF but in every single RPG I ever played , I guess you can say it started here with FFIV :).

Playthrough (GBA): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw7L5srScR09yM_c9rQtUeMw

HM Title 2 - Final Fantasy X
-This was my first Playstation title, bought it alongside FFIX which was for the PS1. I remember seeing this game a lot when it first came out on TV and stores but never got to play it until I got my own PS2 (which was my first non-nintendo console) in 2003. I instantly fell in love with the game, it was an amazing jump in quality and production compared to the games I played prior to it. If I remember right, its also the first RPG game that had voice acting I played. I loved the overall setting, characters, music just like with the rest of the series :p. I bought the PS3 HD remaster few years back but I do plan to get the PS4 HD Remaster sometime soon but I also wanna get the PC/Steam version :p. I havent done a recording of it but I will in the future.

HM Title 3 - Final Fantasy Tactics
-My first Strategy RPG and one of my first PS titles. I just love this game, as much as I enjoyed Disgaea and enjoyed FFTA, FFT OG had a lot of great memorable moments. I havent played the PSP/mobile remakes yet but here's hoping it comes to PC :p. I did two playthroughs btw - one back in the 2000s and one in the 2010s which I recorded.

Playthrough (PSX): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw59l30F15l75ZrVoKfUloDX

HM Title 4 - Kingdom Hearts II
-One of my most favorite RPGs for the PS2. I remember being super hyped for this game during high school. Infact it was the most talked about game in my class throughout the year before it came out. We would watch trailers, both official and fan based trailers. I remember we had a lot of discussions and theories before the game came out on how the story would play out. It was an amazing time for me. After getting the game, I got instantly hooked into it. I loved the starting/prologue of the game so much I explored Twilight town for about 5 hours. Along with the other KH titles, I played this one at least 4 times. I plan to do a 5th run soon with the PS4 HD remaster.

HM Title 5 - Pokemon Crystal
-Pokemon at the time was one of the biggest and most talked subjects whether it was at school or at my church. 2nd gen (G/S/C) came out in the highest point imo at the time and have to say out of all the games (and yes I played all gens), 2nd gen is my most favorite in terms of content. I personally love 3rd gen with all the pokemon of its generation but generation 2 had the most memories for me. I plan to play the game again soon.

HM Title 6 - Terranigma
-Terranigma was originally one of my most favorite RPGs of all time alongside Seiken Densetsu 3, Breath of Fire II, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. It fell a bit from its pedestal but to this day is one of my most favorite SNES RPGs. I played it at least 3 times and each time was as memorable as the last. The unique story telling, the setting and the historical characters you meet along the way were amazingly done. The OST was amazing too. I wish/hope SE decides to remake this title like Secret of Mana.

Playthrough (SNES): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw7uWCUj2yzoRaABwOjTdj02

HM Title 7 - Persona 3
-I really loved playing Persona 1 and it got me to play Persona 2 Innocent Sin soon after but have to say P3 revolutionized the series just like FFVI/VII did for the FF series. It had the similar feeling/setting to the first two but the quality completely improved a hundred fold. The production was amazing and the music was fantastic. Time flew so fast while playing this, at the very end I ended up clocking 75 hours and didnt even feel like it lol. I havent played FES version but I hope they make a remaster of it.

HM Title 8 - Star Ocean Till The End of Time
-Star Ocean Till The End of Time was my first Star Ocean title. It is also my longest played single run RPG clocking at about 110 hours. I was amazed to see two discs for a PS2 game but I soon realize why, there was so much in this game it was amazing. Although the voice acting and the character animations were bad, I loved the story, music and the gameplay. I wanted more of a space experience but I didnt mind what I ended up getting. The PS4 version came out recently, and I plan to get it :).

HM Title 9 - Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition
-This was one of my first major PC games I bought and played. My friends got me into buying this game and wanted me to do a playthrough with them (we ended up doing 3 runs lol). But it was an amazing experience. I had so much fun doing co-op with my friends. I havent done a single player playthrough but maybe in the future. It was a unique experience because I havent played a RPG game of its kind before.

LP (Steam/PC): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw6OYO_4y6u38zM6P5bmzbnZ

HM Title 10 - Final Fantasy VII
-This was one of the last FF games I bought for my PS1/PS2 collection. Regardless of that, it was one of the best experiences I had when it came to RPGs. I played the PS1 version at least twice and I beaten the Steam/PC version about two years ago. I love the cast of characters. Cloud is one of my favorite protagonists in the series and like I did with Cecil during the 1990s, I was able to relate myself to Cloud during the 2000s. I watched the movie, played the prequel Crisis Core and I plan to buy the remake when it comes out in the future.

Playthrough (Steam/PC): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgU0IdjAiGw767_kHfOlxgfSaGJVVA1S1

A lot of generosity going around this year. It's nice to have some extra incentives for people to put some real effort into making a list and articulating it.

In the past two threads that I ran (2013 and 2015), the cut off for the Top 50 was about 30 points. The cut off for the Top 10 was about 70 points.

The numbers were pretty much identical in the 2016 thread, too, for what it's worth. In fact, the Top 50 cutoff was exactly 30 points.

Madventure

Posting it & Working on it (Let me know if I screwed up?)

FULL POINT GAMES

1. Ultima VII (HIGHLIGHT VOTE):
    This game is basically one of my first and favorite RPG's that I played by myself as a kid. I played it by getting the shareware (Yeah google it) version of the game and being unable to get out of the first town because I couldn't convince my parents to buy the game.
    I played it so much and didn't live up to the standards of the avatar and the virtues. I tried to find new and elaborate ways to kill townspeople and guards and I thought it was fantastic! Eventually I somehow down the line got a copy of the game and was amazed at the size and scope of the game. The amount of things you could do in it! It was amazing!
    Whenever I think of a game that is defining to me it ends up on this and the Ultima series.
  2. Avadon: The Black Fortress (UNDERRATED): This game surprised me when I originally started playing it because I thought it was going to be a snooze fest because Spiderweb Software wasn't really on my radar at the time for being an RPG hitmaker or anything.
    I ended up enjoying it immensely because of the storyline with it and its companion characters adding to it along the way being more than just "Hi I do damage and heal"
    While it isn't a huge open world RPG like everything is now for games that isn't bad but it does tend to be a bit linear, but sometimes that's what you want in an RPG because not everything has to have an open world the size of detroit when you're just trying to find a peanut.
  3. Fallout: This one! This game would be so amazing if it didn't have a fucking timer. I hate timers in games specifically because of this game. How can I explore all this cool stuff in the fucking game if there's a timer? What the fuck. This game is a reason why I like turn based RPG games so much AND why I hate timers.
  4. Fallout 2: This is basically everything that was amazing about Fallout just better. Plus it doesn't have a stupid game timer.
  5. Baldurs Gate 2: Well Baldurs Gate 2 was left into my families care originally by a friend of the family and after that It pretty much became the defacto of what any RPG for a computer was based off of in my life and household after that. I think the game is amazing, I became obsessed with almost all things Forgotten Realms and Dungeons and Dragons. It had a big impact on my life in that regard, and will probably for the rest of my gaming life.
  6. UnderRail: So you like Fallout? You like fallout 2? You thought Fallout 3 was too 3d? Well guess what? Here's Underrail! This game is amazing I don't really know what else to say besides as soon as I found out about it looked at screenshots said "Oh my god, where's my wallet?" Then I bought it on steam. Don't worry it has an expansion coming soon as well! (Well, it will soon!) For gameplay wise it is extremely similar to Fallout 2 but has a style all of its own that make it unique Underrail so don't worry about that, just the visual style makes any kind of nostalgia come bubbling back up.
  7. Inquistor: Holy shit I hope you like reading. This game is basically study hall with 5 minutes of combat. I basically forgot there was combat in the game every once in awhile.
    It has the standard classes in it for a Diablo like game (Closest comparison I can think of really) but throw in a couple of novels worth of text. The game is amazing, if you liked the amount of text in Planescape Torment you will love this with all of its storyline.
  8. Geneforge 1: I haven't playedd through this one all the way but I watched my Dad play through most of the entire series and because of that I'm listing it. From what I've played it's a fantastic game from the Spiderweb Software guys.
    Character Selection choices of Melee, Caster, Summoner and allowing you to control creatures to fight for you along with decision choices in the game in a world that's fairly open world with an lots of text to read. The game is fairly difficult but not in the sense that it makes you want to throw your keyboard at the wall. Basically it's like a Wizard trapped on an island that creates Not-Pokemon.
  9. Tales of Maj'Eyal: This one is actually a roguelike rpg so I don't know if that one will get me hate or what but I'm going to list it anyways because I like it so much. It's fantastic has a great storyline (assuming you can actually get that far) tons and tons of loot to find and lots of character creation choices means its just a great blast to play (I mean it is a roguelike game so replay-ability is key)
  10. Of Orcs And Men: When I originally got this one I was sort of expecting like a giant green god of war (Some people might not really consider this game an RPG) but it sort of takes the entire action RPG concept and flips it on its head and makes it an almost turn based action rpg which is where I it's so weird that's really fun. Go in expecting one thing and get a totally different experience.

--VOTE INFO START&#8212;

{HIGHLIGHT &#8211; 3 points} Ultima VII
{UNDERRATED &#8211; 4 points} Avadon: The Black Fortress
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout
Fallout 2
Geneforge 1
Inquisitor
Of Orcs And Men
UnderRail
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Okay, so to save time I'm mostly going to copy my write-ups from the 2016 version. Obviously there are a few new entries that I've written new things for, but in general my top 20 is about the same as my previous year's.

TOP 10 ESSENTIALS

1. Chrono Trigger (Highlight) - Chrono Trigger has been and always will be my favorite game of all time, so no surprise that I consider it essential. It has everything you need for an RPG - great characters, a great soundtrack, and a great story that doesn't overstay its welcome, and yet gives you plenty of content to make it a world worth exploring. On top of that, the game is created in a way that through New Game+ you can experience loads of completely unique endings that give you extra story on top of the baseline. It was the first RPG I ever played, and I believe it's one of the best RPGs ever made and definitely anyone who loves the genre should play it if they haven't already.

2. Vandal Hearts II (Underrated) - I have a special place in my heart for the Vandal Hearts games, because I played them before I played Final Fantasy Tactics and they were basically my introduction to the SRPG genre. I think the second game is better than the first overall - this game adds an interesting mechanic where the enemy moves at the same time as you, so you have to predict where they're going. It adds a different flavor to battles, but should be reserved for people who have experience in the SRPG genre. It's not the defining game of the genre, but I think it's a fairly overlooked gem that could use more attention.

3. Dark Souls - The Souls series is one of my favorite franchises, and while it's definitely more on the A side of ARPG, it still has my favorite gameplay across any series. I think Dark Souls is the pinnacle of the series - it has the perfect mixture of stats where you can customize your character towards how you want to play, but you don't ever feel like a god that can do everything so its worth it to play through multiple times. It also has the most coherent world and while there are some downsides (Blighttown) the overall game is worth it and a good place to start if you're interested in the Souls series.

4. Undertale - Undertale was a surprise to me - it hooked me in from moment one and I believe this game is essential for RPGs for a number of reasons. Most importantly, it has one of the best video game soundtracks ever made to the extent that this soundtrack has been on my iPhone since I played it two years ago and I've yet to get sick of listening to it. On top of that, it explores combat in an RPG like no RPG before it (in my opinion) and manages to be funny, engaging, and display genuine emotion. It's one of the few games to legit make me tear up with the manliest of tears. This is a game that needs to be played, and since it was recently released on PS4 it's necessary to get on the list.

5. Final Fantasy VI - My second favorite RPG of all time. It's one of the few RPGs where you collect a bunch of characters and have the opportunity to actually use them all. Especially with the second half of the game just going all out in a completely different way than most RPGs. Also Magicite still remains my favorite interpretation of magic in Final Fantasy, and how its used is very cool. Plus, another awesome soundtrack.

6. Final Fantasy Tactics - The S-Tier SRPG. Even though it has an early difficulty curve, overall I still think it's one of the best games to introduce people to the strategy RPG style play. And having also played through the War of the Lions version on my PSTV, I still wholeheartedly believe this is the best SRPG made. The plot may be a little dense, and at some point you do get to run around kicking ass like you're a god, but it's totally worth it.

7. Earthbound - A unique RPG that's a must-play, just due to the setting. The rolling HP counters are an inspired twist on the regular gameplay. The hilarity and strangeness of the game makes it an instant classic. It also manages to send-up normal RPG tropes in a fun way that still makes sense in the context of the built world. Great RPG for people who aren't into a dystopian/fantasy/the usual RPG settings.

8. Persona 5 - The most recent game to go on my essentials list - it's pushed out Persona 4 as my go-to SMT recommendation. Persona 5, while long as hell, is one of the most satisfying JRPGs I've ever played. All the characters are amazing, the soundtrack is phenomenal, and you always have plenty to do between the story dungeons, Mementos,and all the social links/confidants. The non-procedural dungeons and semi-stealth mechanic add a fresh take on dungeon exploration which gives the series a much needed boost in the combat gameplay department. If you have the time to put into this one, it's a must play.

9. Alpha Protocol - My personal favorite WRPG, just due to the fact that you hardly ever get to play as a spy in an RPG setting. Yes, it's not perfect - it has bugs and the gameplay takes getting used to (especially if you want to play it like a normal shooter). But it more than makes up for it with a choice/dialogue system that is still unmatched in terms of how it affects your game as you progress.

10. Fallout: New Vegas - Of all the Fallouts, this is the one I spent the most time with. It's the first game I ever bought all the DLC for and got every achievement for. You have so many options, what you say and do matters, and there's all sorts of nooks and crannies in the world to explore that the main and side stories may never take you to unless you explore yourself. And the VATS system lets you not have to play it as a regular shooter if you don't want to. A very worthy introduction to WRPGs.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

11. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - The second RPG I ever played, and the first RPG I ever beat myself. Its unique battle system will keep you invested and paying attention, and it ended up being used and refined in a lot of games since. Great humor as well.
12. Fallout 2 - I always like telling the story of how I sat down at 10 in the morning to play a little Fallout 2 and suddenly it was 10 at night and I hadn't eaten or moved all day. That's how engaging this game is, and is a great example of the isometic RPG setting and also, in my opinion, the best place to start in the Fallout world.
13. Shin Megami Tensei IV - I think while the Persona games are more accessible in general, this game is a better introduction to SMT-style games. It's fun, engaging, and not as difficult as previous SMT games. Plus, as is a requirement for me, a killer soundtrack.
14. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - Personal requirement that any game I've spent 80+ hours playing needs to be on the recommendation list somewhere because it has to be doing something right. Plus the Zodiac Age remake solves every issue I had with the initial game - it's awesome.
15. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - I got a PSTV specifically so I could download and play this game. And it doesn't disappoint. Another S-tier SRPG, although it's a little on the heavy side for stat management. But if you're into that, it has a rewarding and fun combat system.
16. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door - Of all the Mario RPGs, I think this is the best one to start with. Lots of different abilities, fun boss battles and great music. In terms of pure fun, I'd say this one is the best to play for fun's sake.
17. Bloodborne - I probably like this as a game more than Dark Souls, but it is the least RPG of all the Souls/Souls-like games, which is why I feel I can only give it an honorable mention.
18. Fire Emblem: Awakening - An outstanding SRPG, that really refreshes the Fire Emblem formula. I would definitely pair this one (no pun intended) with FFT as the best way to get new players into SRPGs. Plus, with different difficulty options it allows players to play to their comfort level.
19. Resonance of Fate - Yes, you have to go through every tutorial and in-game manual in this game to perfectly understand how the combat works. But once you do, man, the gameplay really clicks and is super fun. A very good mix-up of strategy and action.
20. South Park: Stick of Truth - If you like South Park, you'll like this game. If you don't like South Park, you might still like this game. If you like RPGs, you should probably like this game.

---

--VOTE INFO START—

{HIGHLIGHT – 3 points} Chrono Trigger
{UNDERRATED – 4 points} Vandal Hearts II
Dark Souls
Undertale
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Earthbound
Persona 5
Alpha Protocol

Super Mario RPG
Fallout 2
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Bloodborne
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Resonance of Fate
South Park: The Stick of Truth

--VOTE INFO END--

kswiston

INFORMATION ABOUT PRIZE ELIGIBILITY

I have gone through the first 246 posts in this thread to check for lists that meet the rules for prize eligibility (at least 5 games listed with comments for each).

As of this post, 68 people have met that criteria (not counting myself and Robert Boyd who don't need keys). All 68 people will get a copy of Cosmic Star Heroine, and will be eligible for the other prize draws. All of this will be done after the voting phase ends.

There were dozens of lists that either had no comments, or fewer than 5 comments. If you would like to get a copy of Cosmic Star Heroine, please update your list, and PM me before the 200 keys have been claimed.

If you are eligible for Cosmic Star Heroine and other prizes, your name should appear on this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11NygxUUHbzKMmPF3fUKiJqE7OYx-TAlf15rfElUN3Ng/edit?usp=sharing

If you happened to update a post prior to this one in the past hour, I might have missed you. Please PM me a link to your completed post.

If you have a list without comments or an empty reserved post on the first few pages, you can still receive a key as long as you meet the criteria above BEFORE all keys have been reserved. IMPORTANT: I will NOT be re-checking posts prior to this one, so you will need to PM me a link to your post to qualify.

If you believe that your list should have qualified, and do no appear in that spreadsheet, PM me a link to your post.

THERE ARE STILL 132 COSMIC STAR HEROINE KEYS REMAINING

Even if all of the CSH keys are reserved, you will still qualify for the other prize raffles if you submit your list (with comments) by the end of the voting period.

Kagemusha

1) (HIGHLIGHT) – Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger has a wonderful cast of characters set a in breathtaking world filled with unforgettable battles. The battle system may not be complex, but it's fun and you don't have to micromanage your party every five seconds. The way the locations, characters, plot, and music come together is extraordinary.

2) (UNDERRATED) – Lost Odyssey
It was the first HD JRPG that I remember playing, and I thought it did a respectable job of telling a grown-up story about loss, immortality, and heartache. I was moved by the story and I loved the characters, even the child characters. The inclusion of emotional Quick Time Events, while not perfect, was a mechanic that I appreciated.

3) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
This game made me fall in love with exploring open world games again. It's just so much fun to explore and head to ward the horizon. The music is fantastic, the score and sound design are always working to set the emotional backdrop to what you are doing. The ability to decide where you want to go and how you dress and how you fight is very refreshing.

4) Earthbound
Earthbound has charm, wit, and atmosphere. What really makes this game shine is how the final encounter of the game validates the 50 hour journey that preceded it. Other RPGs, you play for 50 or even 200 hours, then you defeat the final boss in 4 seconds because you are over leveled. It's over, the game is finished, and you move on to the next game. With Earthbound, you complete the game and you cry because you realize that you are a better person for having played Earthbound.

5) Dark Souls
Dark Souls has this very deliberate play-style where you have to think about what is working and what is not working. You die, restart, and attempt to learn from your mistakes. The kinetic rage of the combat is unrivaled.

6) Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
The game-play and agency to decide what you are and how you want to do it is insane.

7) Planescape: Torment
You can complete the game just on charisma and dialog alone. How amazing is that? Or can you? To be honest I'm currently playing the game for the first time and I have no idea what I'm doing.

8) The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
What other games lets you fence stolen goods to buy a levitation spell? What other game lets you cast a frenzy spell while you are floating above the town square? Sure, the combat is bad, but the world and the agency to go, do and be what you want is extraordinary. The game is at its best when you are searching for unconventional ways to take out those who stand in your way.

9) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Possibly the best story of any game I've ever played. With an ending that is vividly recalled even a decade later. The ability to learn about the world and decide what happens to it is chilling and wondrous.

10) Fallout: New Vegas
A revenge story that gives you a million ways to take your revenge. Travel, negotiate, barter, kill, or just wander, it's up to you.

1) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
The characters, music, game-play and combat work in perfect harmony to make a charming adventure in this unforgettable JRPG.
2) XCOM
An incredibly tense, strategic and atmospheric game that keeps your adrenalin pumping.

3) Deus Ex
I like to make loud noises and just kill everything and leave the bodies in plain sight. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but I have to love a game that lets me play how I want to play.
4) Vagrant Story
It tried something new and no game has captured its game-play or feel since. Its a unique and mystical game with a presence and atmosphere that's worth visiting.

5) Final Fantasy VI
It was a dark game filled with adult issues. It had complex game systems that kept you interested in learning just one more esper spell or searching for one more relic. It had optional quests, grand music, crazy and adorable characters, and just enough hope to keep you questing to rebuild the world.

6) Final Fantasy IX
It had characters that I wanted to follow after, it had a story that captured my imagination.

7) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
The dialogue is hysterical, witty, and captivating. The game-play is fun and the music is outlandish.

8) Illusion of Gaia
Game haunts me to this day. The music of each place is chilling. The deaths of certain characters and animals is terrifying.

9) Divinity Original Sin 2
I was really impressed that I could target inanimate objects and make them dangerous. The innovation and attention to detail here is outstanding.

10) Pillars of Eternity
I'm completely lost, confused, and have no idea if I'm loosing because I'm playing incorrectly or if I'm not supposed to by going through this spider infested cave. But its an amazing experience regardless of my frustration.

--VOTE INFO START—

{HIGHLIGHT – 3 points} Chrono Trigger
{UNDERRATED – 4 points} Lost Odyssey
Earthbound
Dark Souls
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
XCOM
Deus Ex
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX
Illusion of Gaia
Divinity Original Sin 2
Pillars of Eternity

--VOTE INFO END--

kswiston

Also, I was happy to see so many junior members participating when I scanned through the entries.

Just remember that you need to remain unbanned until mid-October to get any prizes. I won't have time to do detective work to contact ex-members. I saw at least one participant with the banned tag already.

So behave yourselves :p

Top Bottom