• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate free version info

raven777

This is new info from famitsu for Japanese version of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate(PS3), so I am not sure if this applies to western version.

There will be a free version of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

with the free version you will be able to:

-play all the online mode
-play all the offline mode EXCEPT the story mode
-Kasumi, Ayane, Hayate, Hayabusa are 4 playable characters
-all the costumes and stages EXCEPT the DLC ones are usable
-you can trasnfer DOA5 save files/DLC costumes

-you can buy additional characters for 400yen each, and buy story mode for 1500yen.
-you will be able to play against the people who bought the full package version.

also today's article confirms that you will be able to transfer your DOA5 saves/DLC costumes to DOA5 Ultimate.

kjVVsTp.jpg

character select screen.

Assuming this is final one, we can assume one more character (assuming one of the is already known Leon.)

source (famitsu)

UPDATE: some more info from the interview:

-Ein is based on DOA2 but have new moves. Users from DOA2 will not have any problem using him from the beginning.
-Jacky and Momiji are both made to be easy to use.
-with free version, you will be able to fight against all the characters
-they are planning promotions where they will have a certain character unlock for free for few days for people to try out. If they like that character, they can go buy that character.
-the full package user will not be able to tell if you are playing from free version.
-there is no limitations for free version like "you can play XX number of games per day." sort of thing.
-the free version is for PS3 only at this moment. They are working hard to get it on Xbox360 as well, but they cannot promise it will come.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, it's the same as DOA5's/+'s demo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sounds very similar to DoA5+'s demo on Vita, except now you can buy DLC for it. It's going to be interesting to see how well this works out.

Squire

Banned
I guess so but I think the difference is you can build on from the demo by buying specific characters you want. I am not sure DOA5+ demo allows that

It doesn't. This is like DOA5+'s demo, but turned into an F2P scheme.

Interesting experiment from TK.

Edit: LOL LiK

SSReborn

Is this the first fighting game that has ever done this. I remember at some point thinking PASBR would do this but I didn't think it would be feasible for a fighting game.

Yeah, diehards could seriously save money with this.

Yeah but does the model allow for you to play against the other characters or only the ones that are locked because if its the former then that would make it so the diehards don't get proper practice with certain match ups.

TheSeks

DOA5+ demo had online play?

Yes. Full cross-play matchmaking. Limited characters (Tina, Hayabusa, Elliot, and Kasumi)

But don't replace BB with it since the netcode is pretty bad. Cross-play matchmaking takes a while. It's something Team Ninja should've fixed but probably won't with this coming out soon.

raven777

Yeah but does the model allow for you to play against the other characters or only the ones that are locked because if its the former then that would make it so the diehards don't get proper practice with certain match ups.

it says you can play against the package users, which I assume means you will be able to play against character you didn't buy as well.

K.Sabot

This is the future of fighting games.

A game like this will usher in the era of Fighting Game Esports on PC.

A glorified demo then.

The "free version" bit is just a marketing ploy. It is basically the same thing but in a newer, more fleshed out wrapper.

Bullza2o

Yes. Full cross-play matchmaking. Limited characters (Tina, Hayabusa, Elliot, and Kasumi)

But don't replace BB with it since the netcode is pretty bad. Cross-play matchmaking takes a while. It's something Team Ninja should've fixed but probably won't with this coming out soon.

Well I have PS+ so I can redownload BB another time. I'll probably check out the DOA5+ demo now to see what it's like to play 3D fighters on Vita.

Sounds like an awesome idea, and finally someone learning from free to play, and putting DLC to good use. I wonder at what point it would be worth upgrading to the full version.

Some Pros as I see it:
You only get good with a few characters in fighting games anyway
Some people might not care about the story and just want to fight

Interesting to see them try something different I may bite just for that

Seems like an interesting idea, i think it could work pretty well. I'm still just gonna get the full version since I would have to buy Hitomi anyway and I can't stand not having every character available.

K.Sabot

The model incentivizes sticking with a character, which helps the competitive nature of a fighter. I'm all for it.

Huh.

This reminds me of a semi-F2P PC game called Arche Blade.
The maps and modes are free, but every week the available roster is rotated. In order to use your favorite character all the time you had to buy them.

raven777

Ok, reading the interview and it confirms you will be able to play against every chracter even if you got the free version.

If they want this to work as well as it could they better be fixing the netcode. I know it comes with most of the single player content (and let's be honest, you're not missing anything by not having the story mode. i was hilariously bad.), but I'm sure one of the ideas behind this is to get more people playing online.

Skilletor

If they want this to work as well as it could they better be fixing the netcode. I know it comes with most of the single player content (and let's be honest, you're not missing anything by not having the story mode. i was hilariously bad.), but I'm sure one of the ideas behind this is to get more people playing online.

They...did fix the netcode?

Unless you mean the Vita version, which doesn't apply since that's not announced at all and I'd be surprised if it came out.

Kapwan

Neo Member
Glad a major developer has taken this step. I really look forward to the results. I wonder if this will be available to Xbox Silver members though.

raven777

some more info from the interview:

-Ein is based on DOA2 but have new moves. Users from DOA2 will not have any problem using him from the beginning.
-they are planning promotions where they will have a certain character unlock for free for few days for people to try out. If they like that character, they can go buy that character.
-the full package user will not be able to tell if you are playing from free version.
-there is no limitations for free version like "you can play XX number of games per day." sort of thing.
-the free version is for PS3 only at this moment. They are working hard to get it on Xbox360 as well, but they cannot promise it will come.

DR2K

Banned
some more info from the interview:

Microsoft is not a fan of free of any kind.

akaoni

Banned
I've been thinking of this model for quite a while now, like a MOBA. People can have fun for free and invest if they want to, regular players then have more players to beat up. Everyone wins. Will be interesting to see if it's successful and possibly imitated.

TheSeks

Bullshit, I was able to tell demo users in 5+ full simply because 90% of the cast was "locked" to them when all characters are unlocked by default in 5+ full. I'm totally expecting the same thing with 5U's demo.

Also I'm totally expecting 5U to be full of Hayabusa, Kasumi, and Ayane's if those are the final character decisions for the 4 free characters. Ugh. At least pick some other characters to where the online for 5U isn't another Ninja fest and to get some of the community off those four's nuts since Team Ninja seems to buff the ninja characters at the sake of others.

Top Bottom