• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cracks down on "unauthorized" Xbox 360 Storage Devices

Sean

Banned
I know some posters here used larger "hacked" 360 hard drives from eBay and whatnot so thought this was worth it's own thread:

When Preview Program members start receiving the Xbox 360 system update next week, one of the changes is that unauthorized Memory Units will no longer work with the Xbox 360. If you’ve moved your profile or saved games onto one to “back it up,” you’d better move it back onto an authorized Xbox 360 storage device prior to taking the update. If you continue to use an unauthorized Memory Unit after the update, you will not be able to access your stored profile or saved games.

If you need help identifying officially licensed Xbox 360 storage devices or accessories you can read more about the licensed accessories program on Xbox.com

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/10/16/unauthorized-xbox-360-storage-devices.aspx

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Doesn't affect hard drives, I don't think.

I think it's more to do with those 4GB Datel Memory Units and stuff that you can get.

While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.

So are they going to hide this in their update notes under the guise of preventing damage to your console (ala Nintendo), or just not bother.

Keavy_Rain said:
While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.

You're right, all consoles should abolish all third-party accessories.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Keavy_Rain said:

*slowly backs away*

cjelly said:

I think it's more to do with those 4GB Datel Memory Units and stuff that you can get.

Do you have any reason to think this?

If it does affect hard drives... Anybody want to buy a 360? :lol

alr1ghtstart said:
this is bullshit; but I am so not surprised.

also, people are getting bannzored for playing forza 3 early.
http://twitter.com/Stepto/status/4928523236
You know, when you play a pre-release title on LIVE when I know you shouldn’t have it, it’s not hard for me to figure out. #forza3hammertime

They're starting to do this now? Has Forza's street date been broken anywhere? or is it only available for pirates?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mama Robotnik said:
So are they going to hide this in their update notes under the guise of preventing damage to your console (ala Nintendo), or just not bother.
My money is them saying its a security update.

Keavy_Rain said:

major nelson?

Sean

Banned
cjelly said:

Heh, I didn't even know they made those. I guess this is the type of stuff that they're referring to:

51cHr2aksnL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
31qHx6omQbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Though I would still be careful if you've got a non-Microsoft hard drive.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TouchMyBox said:
They're starting to do this now? Has Forza's street date been broken anywhere? or is it only available for pirates?

it says it's only for pirated copies.

Keavy_Rain said:
I like this statement.
I'm going to say this to my grandmother the next time she bitches about her heart pills costing too much.

DR2K

Banned
Keavy_Rain said:

Multi-billion dollar corporations don't need apologists.

BobTheFork said:
I like this statement.
I'm going to say this to my grandmother the next time she bitches about her heart pills costing too much.

That's a poor analogy, hard drives are a device which allows you to give microsoft more money. So it would actually be in their best interest to get everybody large capacity hard drives at low costs. This is what makes the whole situation very strange and confusing.

Anony

that's just fucken bullshit
i was planning on picking up a datal memory unit and putting on 8gb microsd on it

fuck microsoft and their overpriced memory unit and harddrives
looks like i'll just get my own 120 hdd and a case

what a stupid move, more people will just buy those china knockoffs because these no selection

Microsoft could probably sell the memory units cheaply and then make the money up on XBox Originals, DD-release games, movies, and XBLA titles that people would buy.

No one's buying a bigger HDD just for demos, save games, and installations. They're cutting off their own toes with their harddrive costs.

Yeah, it sucks that this shit is happening, but if you're honest about the possibilities when you buy an unofficial device, that's one of 'em with a modern console where updates can do that sort of thing as opposed to the old school console that relied on new models to lock out unwanted hardware. Not defending MS in this instance because, personally, I think there should be a lot more authorized third party hardware available, but MS is doing what they're legally allowed to do. Datel is certainly no stranger to this sort of thing and obviously knew this might happen. Just hope for something to be offered from Datel to existing registered and warrantied customers of their memory product when they can hopefully offer a fully licensed device or another way to get past MS' built-in X360 security (which Datel had to bypass in the first place).

MS really should loosen their shit up a little or start offering their hard drives at more reasonable prices. But that's just how it goes, I suppose.

It really is a golden age, isn't it?

You purchase the console and use it as you see fit. But should the functionality you apply be unforeseen and unprofitable for the manufacturing megacorp (and I'm not talking about piracy), they label it as "unauthorized" and remove said functionality from your property. They neuter your property's functionality, with zero benefit to the owner.

I can't think of any other industry that gets away with this shit. And especially cannot fathom another industry that has apologists for it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
CadetMahoney said:
hopefully this is also for hdd's for the lolz. :lol

LULZ! People spent money to circumvent something quite stupid and they are gonna get ruined after being used to it for years! LULZ!!!!!!

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Keavy_Rain said:

fuck me!

whose the company man then?

all it does is help microsoft overcharge on peripherals, I can't believe Microsoft put arbitrary protection in every peripheral, thats just cheeky as fuck, and exactly why there is no g25 or g27 for xbox, why the fuck should the manufacturer of a steering wheel or a harddrive need to pay money to microsoft for a protection chip and license that serves no other use than to artificially inflate the price for the customer or reduce the manufacturers probably already razor thin margins.

And I would say the exact same thing if Sony was doing it as well, fuck the old sony proprietary memory cards

also microsoft fucked up the protection!

now they retroactively fixing it by punishing paying customers who have done (probably) nothing more than upgrade their hard drive or memory card

TouchMyBox said:
That's a poor analogy, hard drives are a device which allows you to give microsoft more money. So it would actually be in their best interest to get everybody large capacity hard drives at low costs. This is what makes the whole situation very strange and confusing.
It was a joke, not an analogy.
HDD on 360 are NOT low cost, that's the point. They are charging an arm and a leg, and then making sure you can't cut around their over-charging. I guess we need to see if this applies to the HDD as well, but it looks like that's the idea.

mrgone

Keavy_Rain said:
CadetMahoney said:
hopefully this is also for hdd's for the lolz. :lol
CrushYourHead.jpg

Recoil

Keavy_Rain said:

You, and people like you are the worst fucking scum enablers of the earth.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mama Robotnik said:

You purchase the console and use it as you see fit. But should the functionality you apply be unforeseen and unprofitable for the manufacturing megacorp (and I'm not talking about piracy), they label it as "unauthorized" and remove said functionality from your property. They neuter your property's functionality, with zero benefit to the owner.

I can't think of any other industry that gets away with this shit. And especially cannot fathom another industry that has apologists for it.
You can still use the memory units offline, though.

Well, that is until they put the newest version of the Dashboard on game discs.

DarkJC

Mama Robotnik said:

Agreed. I wish issues like these were worth more to joe sixpack in the marketplace. Stuff like this makes me think Sony is eyeing the buckets of cash Microsoft is making from fucking customers over on storage prices and accessories and will follow in their footsteps because it seems to be paying off.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anony said:
that's just fucken bullshit
i was planning on picking up a datal memory unit and putting on 8gb microsd on it

fuck microsoft and their overpriced memory unit and harddrives
looks like i'll just get my own 120 hdd and a case

what a stupid move, more people will just buy those china knockoffs because these no selection
Yah, fuck them in there overpriced parts. I had to pay $1.97 for a 512MB Memory card, and $12.97 for a 120GB HDD! This is Highway robbery I tell you! Highway robbery!

Persona7 said:
This is why everyone hates Microsoft.
Nah. Sega, Sony, and Ninty have all done the same in the past and, if possible, would do the same now if they followed on the storage part this go 'round. This is a specific console hardware thing. The main issue here is that MS is the only one this gen that controls their storage media as fiercely as Sony, Sega, and Ninty have done in the past. It's a shame MS can't be a bit more progressive and, frankly, realistic about the modern console consumer. They should just do like everyone else on this particular part and rely on consumer ignorance to sell overpriced hardware while enthusiasts go for the cheaper, better alternatives.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's like they like selling less shit on XBLA. If I were them, I'd want every console to have as much space as possible.

Persona7

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
It's like they like selling less shit on XBLA. If I were them, I'd want every console to have as much space as possible.
Exactly. I'm not upgrading my HDD until the 120GB is under 100$.

Honestly, I would be buying tons more XBLA games if my 13GB HDD was not full all the time.

GavinGT

Banned
Recoil said:
You, and people like you are the worst fucking scum enablers of the earth.

Pretty much. This is just going to guarantee that Microsoft can continue overcharging for memory.

Threi

notag
Mama Robotnik said:

I have never seen a market more easily manipulated yet blissfully unaware of it as gamers. They genuinely think that these companies exist to serve them. Its amazing.

alr1ghtstart said:
Exactly. This is why I cannot understand their decision to price and control the storage as much as they do. It's some sort of limiter or, at least, consideration to some who might purchase XBLM/XBLA stuff.

MajorB0ner said:
ppssh Microsoft, my home media responsibilities have moved to my $60 PS3 (bought with a broken laser and repair by me).
Did you really? that's pretty sweet.
As far as functionality, the propitiatory nature of the 360 is the only thing the ps3 has the true advantage with. When I got my ps3, I already had a 100gb laptop drive, a mouse, a keyboard, a webcam, and a headset that worked right out of the box. Hell, the printer I've had forever works with my PS3 now.

Keavy_Rain said:
62iqquf.gif

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Threi said:
I have never seen a market more easily manipulated yet blissfully unaware of it as gamers. They genuinely think that these companies exist to serve them. Its amazing.

i have a microwave that charges me £5 everytime i cook popcorn due to the popcorn lockout chip

^true story

Sean

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:

Not that I'm defending this crap, but Apple does the same exact thing with the "Made for iPod" program. So it's not limited to just the gaming market (although it does seem to be a lot more common there)...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If you need help identifying officially licensed Xbox 360 storage devices or accessories you can read more about the licensed accessories program on Xbox.com
Or just check the price tag. Dead giveaway.

Top Bottom