• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's stock drops 50% after earnings implosion, [Tanks 22%+ again, worth $7.95M]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:THQI

Note: If this value seems higher than before, remember that they did a 10:1 reverse split, so it's actually equivalent to being ~$0.16 before.

The company is currently worth ~$10 million, which is probably about a third of the budget of a single one of their games.

thqisdead2vvsgy.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
2013 is going to be THQ's last year. At least, be alive enough to release the South Park RPG. :(

Not unexpected. They basically boarded up the windows and unplugged the telephones whilst putting a sign on their front door proclaiming:

"Everything is fine. We'll be back in 6 months."

; and a for sale sign just above it.

Nintendo will buy it.

Nintendo isn't dumb enough to blow their money on something that will lose them money. They should think about some IP and studio acquisitions (Darksiders?)

Oh and I said THQ wouldn't make it through the end of next year, well now I'm not sure they will make it through the middle of next year.

I really don't even know what games they have on the horizon right now. Is that Saints Row 3 expansion/sequel still in the works? I know they canned that Insanity game and have said they are done with Red Faction. What's the next release THQ has lined up? It seems like it may be worth buying just as some sort of historical document.

Jtrizzy

Couldn't Matt and trey or comedy central self fund the game and find a new publisher? I'd think they easily have 30 million laying around. You'd have to think the game will be successful enough to make their money back at least.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Damn, that sucks. I still remember their big press event proclaiming they're going to be an industry leader.

At one point they were the third largest game publisher by revenue.

They've since ceded to position to Ubisoft and are sinking way down the chart.

I really don't want this company to die. Jason Rubin I forgive you your trespasses against me, just save THQ (and Volition.)

iceatcs

Nintendo isn't dumb enough to blow their money on something that will lose them money. They should think about some IP and studio acquisitions (Darksiders?)

Oh and I said THQ wouldn't make it through the end of next year, well now I'm not sure they will make it through the middle of next year.

I'm sure Nintendo would love South Park, Darksiders, WWE and Saint Row IP.

ezekial45

Banned

Yes, I know - but they made claims they would have an even bigger presence after their rebranding. I mean, what about their studio in Montreal working on the AC guy's new game?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think they're going to get bought out at this point and all their dev houses stripped off.

Mikor

THQ has some great IPs under its belt. Saints Row and Warhammer 40k license could be worth some $$$. Real shame.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are their debt levels like?

At least $100 million, but we're looking at a bunch of bad debt from licensing fees as well.

I'm not sure if that's been written off already though.

I think the $100 million is the only capitalized debt however, so that might be the only extra part someone who buys them would have to pay.

Yes, I know - but they made claims they would have an even bigger presence after their rebranding. I mean, what about their studio in Montreal working on the AC guy's new game?

Well, I mean, Saints Row 3 was quite successful.

They just don't have the money to try and turn themselves around anymore.

The publishers who take up their brands and studios in the liquidation sale will probably be quite happy.

Alrus

Nobody will buy them outright, there's no point in doing that. Easier to wait till they go completely bankrupt then shop for their valuable IPs. Kind of like WB did with Midway.

THQ's fate is pretty sad considering they have a few successful brands and they still couldn't save themselves...

kms_md

Why would anyone buy it now and incur its outstanding debt? They will be bankrupt soon enough and any valuable studios/IPs will be had for pennies on the dollar.

Edit - beaten by a minute

Neo C.

How did this happen? I remember the time when they made good profits with movie license games and lots of casual games. I understand the industry was tough for them (casuals moving to smart phones), but still...

Top Bottom