• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriGen

When they didn't mention GC at all during th VC stuff, I felt like that meant they'd jump on the HD train. And even better with this it sounds and looks like it is more than an upress, it's a total remastering.

Anth0ny

Yeah, it looks kinda bad compared to the original.

hope they fix that.

and the triforce quest.

and boss rush.

and lack of dungeons.

Those graphics look awful. Why are they introducing that kind of lighting in a cell shaded game? It completely kills the art style.

Agreed, playing WW on Dolphin looks so much better than those shots, in my opinion...of course, the finished product may make it better, and it may be better in motion.

Smellycat

The Wind Waker was my first Zelda game, and this news makes me happy!! The HD update looks like it removed some of the vibrant colors, but we only had still images to work with.

Out of all Nintendo games, no one justified an HD remake as much as this one.

Yep. The game would have looked lovely just with some cleaner textures and some AA. This went above and beyond into something magical.

Wind Waker has aged so beautifully too, and HD remake just puts it over the top.

Finally Nintendo delivered some goodness. Stoked to play this bad boy. If that screen is any indication. They are going for gold on alot of these titles.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I'm freaking out. Ten years ago, Wind Waker gave me one of the most mind-bendingly insane experiences of all time. This Fall is gonna be crazy.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ij3w2VgQcgxMN.png
Versus.

I'm surprised they could make a timeless style look worse.

Wow. Totally did not expect that announcement. One of my favorite games ever. I was gonna pull it out and replay it soon, but I guess I should wait now.

Kamek

YES!!!! I haven't played Windwaker in years holding out hopes that they'd put it on 3DS but now THIS? I WISHED the NEW zelda would look like this. This is just AMAZING fan service. Thank you based Aounuma. :'( BibleThump

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
No doubt, the Gamepad will be used as the Tingle Tuner.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
hnnnnnnnggggg

All Zelda games should look like this.

No they shouldn't. I hate the cell style. On the other hand. I'm really enjoying playing Skyward Sword via Dolphin at the minute. That's a great art style. I'd be quite happy if Ninty went down that path.

Remember that time they banked on an HD rerelease to push sales of hardware?

Shut up, Nintendo. Bring me something new.

Did you not watch the segment directly after when Iwata said they're releasing Wind Waker HD in the fall to tide people over while the main Zelda team works on the Wii U Zelda?

It happened like... right after that, dude.

jett

D-Member
Holy bloom, Batman.

Eh, the original looked perfect. I think they tinkered too much. Reminds me too much of Toon Link in Brawl.

babby's first use of HDR

jk it looks nice, but it has deviated a lot from the original game's look, unfortunately.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Remember that time they banked on an HD rerelease to push sales of hardware?

Shut up, Nintendo. Bring me something new.

I remember people being over the moon with OoT for the 3DS, but for all the fuss over the announcement an release it didn't do much for the 3DS at the time.

So I would have to agree, I loved WindWake and it looks awesome in HD regardless of a slight loss in style the original had, but I want new games to get me to buy their system, give me HD remakes/rereleases running up to a new game or afterwards, not as a stop gap because they haven't managed to plan ahead well for a new system.

Hey Nintendo, here's the fix list:

- Add much, much more land.
- Make travel less tedious (ie. not having to play that song every time I want to change wind direction).
- Fix that tedious Triforce quest.

Just make the non-land non-dungeon parts less tedious overall!

Reserving my judgment until we get some actual gameplay. I didn't really like how different those shots were to the original. Plenty of development time though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
No seriously the lighting work in the GCN game looks vastly superior, not to mention the colours look less vibrant now. What the shit.

Ydahs

I like the look of the environments, but prefer the original cel shaded character models.

It seems to be early in development since we saw no footage at all. Hopefully improvements and tweaks to the visual style aren't finalized just yet.

Neiteio

Something really looks off here. :-\ And somehow I can't help but think they won't seize this opportunity to add dungeons like they should.

babby's first use of HDR

jk it looks nice, but it has deviated a lot from the original game's look, unfortunately.

I think they're currently sitting on the fine line between a HD upressing and a significant graphical overhaul- they need to pick a side. I'd prefer the former, but the latter also makes a great deal of sense. This half-way house doesn't real interest me either way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hopefully we get some crisp screens soon.

I could do with a krispy kreme right now.

so if this is fall, where does it put 'new' zelda? Fall 2014 or 2015? (I'm assuming Mario Kart this fall too, and maybe Universe next year?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom