• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I wish I could try out Tragedy Looper. I was excited to buy it but I didn't realize how tough it would be to play it beforehand. I did know a couple who probably would have tried it but I haven't seen them since before Summer began; Tuesday night isn't good for them so they stopped coming to weekly game night when it moved from Wed to Tues. They are big Persona fans, which kinda made me think this might be a game that would catch their eye, and one of them is big on reading the rules thoroughly before he tries a game, so I would have expected that he would have shown up to play it and known how. From what I understand the game is a bear to learn and teach though, which makes it a hard game to show up to weekly game night and spring on people, especially when the host is one of the 'The explanation is taking too long, let's just jump into it and we'll figure it out as we go" types.

I really didn't find it to hard to learn. the game slowly builds up all the rules so the first case only uses some of them.

takes like 5 minutes to teach someone the game, once you know what they need to know. everything is rather straight forward, the only hard thing for people to get is that murder and killer are two different things (if I am recalling the right terms)

the only person who needs to have a good grasp on the rules is the mastermind, as if you mess up as the mastermind it can result in a very quick game.

To be honest, your "let's just jump into it and figure it out" host probably has the right way to go about learning this game. It's hard to get your mind how it plays out until you get going. I've taught this game 3 times and my best experience so far has been when I kept the rules portion shorter and taught the players how to use the role sheets as we went along. In this sense (ie, making the 1st Tragedy be a sort of tutorial mission that you guide them along for) it can indeed be a quick teach. I would probably leave the players with the following info:

1. The premise behind the game (they are time loopers that have X amount of time loops to stop you from fulfilling the tragedy)

2. The basic layout of of a day and a loop (turn phases and such)

3. A general statement that Goodwill = Good for players, Paranoia = Bad for players Initially, and Intrigue = Bad for players.

4. You may want to ask if any of the players have ever done matrix logic puzzles before. The type of thinking you do in those sorts of puzzles is very similar to what players will need to do in Tragedy Looper.

Because of this, I suppose I can somewhat agree with the idea that it's a quick teach, at least upfront. But in reality you actually be teaching them throughout the game, or at least throughout the first half of the game. Because of this you should make yourself very familiar with the first scenario.

The first tragedy scenario that is played will NEED to be guided, so that after you perform your initial choices, you prompt the players to look at the role sheet and how to narrow down what is going on. The 1st tragedy has a specific play that when done (unless the players happen to throw it off with their own plays) will lead to a situation where you can feed the players a couple of key pieces of information. As a mastermind, you need to make sure they don't go forward without that information, prompted by you if you must. It is this game moment that should get players to start to realize how they need to go about thinking for this game.

I'm still waiting for the day when I can actually play Scenario 2 with someone, much less the standard or expansion tragedies, as well as being able to play a game with the standard rules of "no player communication unless they're between loops".

...I'm also wonder if the day will ever come that I play the game as a Protagonist instead of as the Mastermind. As the only person I know who has close to my enthusiasm for this game has been the Mastermind many time and apparently has grown sick of it, that day may never come, lol.

EYEL1NER

Thanks for the advice as well ^.
On BGG in the files section there is a pretty in-depth teaching script detailing what to say. I had some success with the user-created script I used for Fury of Dracula, so I'll keep it in mind for whenever I get to bring the game to the table.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So I loaded up photoshop, edited out all of the pieces for Glorantha, uploaded a mod to the workshop and played a 4 player game on TTS. Sandy went nuts designing this one. Everyone in the room loved it. Talk about player interaction. It is non-stop after the first round, basically. Each phase has the players all colliding, allying, betraying, bartering or colluding with each other.

It is an area control game, actions cost power to take so naturally the more power you have the better you are going to be able to do. Action phase is of course full of player interaction, as you need to fight each other to be able to take over the areas needed to score point. However, the phases where you gather power for the next round and score points actually takes longer than the action rounds I think. Each faction had all kinds of powers they would unlock as the game went on to force negotiations upon other players. Deals had to be made, tough choice on the spot all the time. All the time.

An example. Each faction has a tier of units from mortals to heroes to lesser and greater gods. So, naturally, the greater gods are the most powerful units and they cost the most power to bring into play. Well the faction I played started with my greater god in play, one of the more powerful units in the game. Unfortunately, he starts on a sideboard of sorts, still connected to the mainboard however. He literally starts in Hell. And to leave hell, another unit that is more powerful than he has to be in the same section of Hell as I was and I had to ask their permission to leave. Well of course no one wants to come to hell to release this menace on the world, but in the 2nd round I unlocked an ability Call to Justice, which teleports any unit I want to the same area as my greater god. This put the board in a panic state, as no one wanted to be dragged to Hell to be stuck there until they were allowed to leave by another player. Whoever let me out of Hell though would receive a rune, which are powerful single use actions that get discarded when used or turned in for victory points at the end of the game. It was just a really great moment when all the players started bartering about who was going to get called to justice, who was willing to give up a unit to let me out in exchange for a rune and everything. And the game is absolutely full of that kind of stuff. Can't wait for my pledge to come in now.

Kitbash

To be honest, your "let's just jump into it and figure it out" host probably has the right way to go about learning this game..

This is what I did with my group and it didn't end well. The first scenario was fine for us but when we decided to jump straight into the second, it fizzled out with a super quick victory for the players because the mastermind hadn't had a chance to wrap his head around it.

It was a bust for us but I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

This is what I did with my group and it didn't end well. The first scenario was fine for us but when we decided to jump straight into the second, it fizzled out with a super quick victory for the players because the mastermind hadn't had a chance to wrap his head around it.

It was a bust for us but I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

Oh, I should have clarified. The PROTAGONISTS can just jump right into it. The Mastermind almost certainly needs to take some time to wrap their head around the new mechanics and what's going on. If they haven't done that then they will probably at least need a short while to get accustomed to the new elements and determine how to keep the players from figuring out the win conditions. Basically think of the Mastermind as playing a similar role as the DM in a Tabletop. They're manipulating the scenario and know all the pieces, so they have more work cut out for them than the protagonists that can just jump into it once they know the basics of play.

You mention that this is what you did with your group, but you mention the mastermind not having a chance to wrap their head around it. Were you a seperate player from whoever took the mastermind role?

Maedhros

As someone who's new to this hobby and doesn't even have 50 games yet, I could see myself selling or trading a few of my games. Some games I still have because I haven't spent the money on the newer version (doom the board game, telestrations 6p vs 12 player version). I can't think of a specific example but if you keep a game that's just okay because it does something unique or has a theme you like and then a new game that better does that mechanic or has that theme I can see that okay game going away (maybe og arkham horror -> eldrich horror ?)

See, that's exactly a good example.

Arkham Horror and Eldtrich are very different games. I never acquired the first one, but played it after having played Eldtrich and they totally feel like two different games to me. To the point that if I owned Arkham I would never sell it for Eldtrich.

But some people like to keep their collections with only a few games, and that's alright.

I used to feel this way also until recently. Eventually you will going to have to cycle out your old games because you ran out of room to store them. When I got heavily into this hobby two years ago my board game collection was about 30 or so games now I have over 100 games and something got to go. Also your taste of games might change and games you play also vary from group of people you play with.

I'm into the hobby for 4 years at the end of this year. My collection has now 186 games and going up with some undelivered ones...

EDIT'1: BTW, don't get me wrong, I've sold games in the past, because I didn't liked it or duplicate copies (for some reason...). I just don't understand the new game kills old game with similar gameplay mentality.

EDIT2: From all the games I have yet to play 30 or so, more recent games that I've bought and didn't play. I play 8 to 9 games per week.

See, that's exactly a good example.

Arkham Horror and Eldtrich are very different games. I never acquired the first one, but played it after having played Eldtrich and they totally feel like two different games to me. To the point that if I owned Arkham I would never sell it for Eldtrich.

But some people like to keep their collections with only a few games, and that's alright.

I'm into the hobby for 4 years at the end of this year. My collection has now 186 games and going up with some undelivered ones...

EDIT'1: BTW, don't get me wrong, I've sold games in the past, because I didn't liked it or duplicate copies (for some reason...). I just don't understand the new game kills old game with similar gameplay mentality.

EDIT2: From all the games I have yet to play 30 or so, more recent games that I've bought and didn't play. I play 8 to 9 games per week.

I agree with you on this point, I don't understand that mentality either that one game kill another game. I own both Arkham and Eldritch and I totally agree that they are really difference game. They might share theme and certain mechanics but two games are not the same. Eldritch to me is not 2.0 version of Arkham. (May be next year FFG will do new edition of Arkham Horror). I usually sold or trade away game because I either don't like them or felt I have explore all that I want out of the games. That said I do like to collecting things so collecting board game is part of the hobby beside playing them. It has replace collecting video games for me and the last few years I bought may be two or three video games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
More 7th Continent shit announced. Do I need to add to my pledge now or will they have a pledge manager to put all those add-ons and shit?

After a few games the limitations of Not Alone as a two player game have emerged. Without the right hunt cards in the beginning and some luck, the creature player's chance of winning drops quickly as the game progresses.

y2dvd

I'm looking into starting a board game collection. What are some essential games to get that are accessible for a party to play with who doesn't play much board games in the first place? I've done brief research and plan on picking up Ticket to Ride and King of Tokyo so far.

zulux21

I'm looking into starting a board game collection. What are some essential games to get that are accessible for a party to play with who doesn't play much board games in the first place? I've done brief research and plan on picking up Ticket to Ride and King of Tokyo so far.

code names
the resistance
love letter
spyfall
cash and guns
Mysterium
dixit
are all solid games for people who don't many board games.

XShagrath

More 7th Continent shit announced. Do I need to add to my pledge now or will they have a pledge manager to put all those add-ons and shit?
You can wait until the end and they'll have a pledge manager. Last campaign, they counted all late pledge additions towards the last stretch goal that didn't get unlocked during the KS. No word on if they'll do that this time or not. I'm sure they're trickling out the extra content to keep their campaign right at the top of the "Hot" charts or whatever. It seems to be working.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You can wait until the end and they'll have a pledge manager. Last campaign, they counted all late pledge additions towards the last stretch goal that didn't get unlocked during the KS. No word on if they'll do that this time or not. I'm sure they're trickling out the extra content to keep their campaign right at the top of the "Hot" charts or whatever. It seems to be working.

Cool, thanks. That's what I'll do!

So I have added a few gaming buddies to my game nights and picked up some new games.

5 Minute dungeon still is one of the best things we have played yet. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fast paced coop experiences.

As far as what I nabbed today, I discovered another local shop that seems like more of a chain called coolstuffinc, they had some of the stuff I wanted that the other shops didn't.

Picked up

Welcome Back to the dungeon
Jumpdrive
Star Wars Armada
Star Wars Imperial Assault.

I couldn't decide between the star wars games so I nabbed both to give them a shot. Pretty excited to get into games with more depth now that I have recruited some buddies that want to join in.

Bii

code names
the resistance
love letter
spyfall
cash and guns
Mysterium
dixit
are all solid games for people who don't many board games.

The top two games zulu suggested will do extremely well with any group of players. Teaching the base mechanics and rules of Codenames and Resistance is easy and after playing a game or two, most everyone has caught on how to play and are eager to try again.

Llyranor

I dropped by the boardgame shop today to pick up Hanabi, Hive Pocket, and Arkham Horror LCG base set. First two are easily portable for travel, and 3rd should be okay if I just bring the cards without the box. I am set for my trip!

Z3M0G

Just played 2 hours of Loot N Run. Bluffing / push your luck. Plays in about 10 min. We were supposed to play other games but we were having too much fun. I got it for a buddy for his bday, random pickup, and im quite jealous he has it instead of me lol.

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently Level 99's next game will be Temporal Odyssey. This was already mentioned back in https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/68210/everything-board-games-temporal-odyssey-kickstarte but I apparently missed it. Level 99 just sent out an email with a preview on kickstarter but I don't know if there's a way to search up a public link.

It seems to be aiming for MTG style gameplay in 10-20 minute plays without requiring you to deckbuild beforehand. Could be interesting. Kickstarter goes up next week for only $20 including all stretch goals, so I'm all over that.

Blizzard

Banned
cute art kickstarter alert:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5colorcombo/enfutown-bumpers-card-game?ref=category

two players, seems quick, stratego/go-inspired, cute as can be, with a cool guarantee:

"We're so confident that the game is fun that if you get, play it, and don't like it, you can ship it back for a full refund. We'll even pay the shipping cost for you."
On one hand that's cute. On the other hand it's $35 for all 5 characters (150 cards or so?), and the designers mention Hearthstone right after "heavy strategy games".

Maybe it will be cool though.

Kitbash

You mention that this is what you did with your group, but you mention the mastermind not having a chance to wrap their head around it. Were you a seperate player from whoever took the mastermind role?

Yeah I worded that a bit awkwardly (to hide my shame!) -- I was the mastermind. Normally I would do a practice run on my own before bringing a new game to the group, but obviously that's not possible with something like Tragedy Looper. Definitely wasn't expecting to jump straight into the second scenario that night, so I hadn't read it yet.

Cancelled my 7th Continent pledge today. It was too much of a struggle between "you're gonna wish you had these add-ons!" and "this is getting a bit pricey, dontcha think?" Decisions, decisions...

Z3M0G

Apparently Level 99's next game will be Temporal Odyssey. This was already mentioned back in https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/68210/everything-board-games-temporal-odyssey-kickstarte but I apparently missed it. Level 99 just sent out an email with a preview on kickstarter but I don't know if there's a way to search up a public link.

It seems to be aiming for MTG style gameplay in 10-20 minute plays without requiring you to deckbuild beforehand. Could be interesting. Kickstarter goes up next week for only $20 including all stretch goals, so I'm all over that.

Hopefully it is much better than Epic...

mmmmm interesting enough..
guess i'll bite.. for 20$ it's a no brainer anyway..
plus i like previous level99 games.. i backed argent due to blind faith, whereas battlecon and exceed leave me with a GOOD impression (pity that i didn't manage to get in the relative ks at the time.. maybe for the next iteration of these titles i'll manage)..
I regularly waste 20 usd on much worse stuff in my life (2 drinks per night) that lasts me just a glimpse in time, whereas this is a proper game..

Cancelled my 7th Continent pledge today. It was too much of a struggle between "you're gonna wish you had these add-ons!" and "this is getting a bit pricey, dontcha think?" Decisions, decisions...
I have half a mind as well, but I'm TOO intrigued..
by contrast, I REALLY, REALLY think that they are taking a larger cut this time..
the pricing is not as aggressive as one would expect by a kickstarter, quite the opposite (see the "old" xpac pricing for this new kickstarter and compare that to the old kickstarter...)

mmmmm interesting enough..
guess i'll bite.. for 20$ it's a no brainer anyway..
plus i like previous level99 games.. i backed argent due to blind faith, whereas battlecon and exceed leave me with a GOOD impression (pity that i didn't manage to get in the relative ks at the time.. maybe for the next iteration of these titles i'll manage)..
I regularly waste 20 usd on much worse stuff in my life (2 drinks per night) that lasts me just a glimpse in time, whereas this is a proper game..

Hopefully it is much better than Epic...
err I don't know, is it THAT bad? lots of my friend find it a lighthearted version of mtg that it's actually quite engaging in its simplicity, and we are all mtg veterans that quit in the last 5-6 years after years and years of playing..

XShagrath

I have half a mind as well, but I'm TOO intrigued..
by contrast, I REALLY, REALLY think that they are taking a larger cut this time..
the pricing is not as aggressive as one would expect by a kickstarter, quite the opposite (see the "old" xpac pricing for this new kickstarter and compare that to the old kickstarter...)
It could also be that they underestimated last time, not that I have any proof of that. But thinking about how much it must cost to print 1,000+ unique cards vs something like Dominion which has 10+ copies of the same cards means they've got more unique sheets to print and much, much more collating to be done by the factory. Also, prices have gone up for printing in China since 2015.

I need your help to understand if a "puzzle" aspect is what I'm looking in a game. A bit TL;DR maybe:
I started playing boardgames some months ago, and I've started with deck building games because I liked the idea of preparing a deck while playing and then using it (in particular using the combos you "programmed" when picking the cards). Then I wanted to enjoy some solo games and bought friday, One Deck dungeon etc. Long story short: playing different games I think I'm starting to understand what makes a boardgame enjoyable to me, and that's when my brain can do a little work. Maybe I'm wrong, but reading in this subreddit I think the correct term is games with "puzzle" aspects. What I really enjoy is when I have some kind of problem/situation and think of a solution with what I've got or what I've prepared in advance. Deck building games have this aspect, in particular the ones where there are actual synergies/combos (Aeon's End is a little light on that, I think Dominion is the opposite?) I like rolling dice, like in One Deck Dungeon, but what I like about it it's that you have abilities and such to manipulate the dice and think for the better solution available between the various options you have, so yes, there's a bit of randomness but there's also the "puzzle" aspect (IMHO). I say this because for example I thought I would enjoy Elder's Sign, but didn't click. The reason I think it's that there really no "puzzle" aspect or an aspect where you have to sit down a minute and figure out the best course of action, maybe only to choose which room to visit, but once you're there you only have to roll and pray (there's little manipulation with the equipment imho). So yeah, sorry for the wall of text, but I needed to explain this self-discovery so I can understand if "puzzle" aspect is what I'm describing.

Z3M0G

Sees all these posts about 7th Continent...

Looked it up on BGG...

Playtime: 5 - 1000 min

WTF

Edit: Looked into it further... but will this ever hit actual Retail?

Olorin

I need your help to understand if a "puzzle" aspect is what I'm looking in a game. A bit TL;DR maybe:
Sounds like you enjoy games with a decent amount of strategy. You'll probably like games with engine building, action selection and worker placement, since all those genres are about making efficient choices, often with multiple paths to victory.

XShagrath

Sees all these posts about 7th Continent...

Edit: Looked into it further... but will this ever hit actual Retail?

No, at least not in any reasonable approximation.

You're looking at 1,000+ cards, the majority of which are unique. The overhead for that is astounding, and publishers weren't willing to take the risk on that. Additionally, the game would cost quite a bit more in retail (well over $100), as the publisher, distributors, and stores would all need their cut. Right now, Serious Poulp is only looking at their manufacturing cost plus the 10% cut from KS.

I have no idea if they'll just continue doing KS campaigns to re-print the game. I guess if there's enough hype, they can continue to do that. There's also talk about taking their system into different genres, of which sci-fi and fantasy have been bandied about.

Z3M0G

No, at least not in any reasonable approximation.

You're looking at 1,000+ cards, the majority of which are unique. The overhead for that is astounding, and publishers weren't willing to take the risk on that. Additionally, the game would cost quite a bit more in retail (well over $100), as the publisher, distributors, and stores would all need their cut. Right now, Serious Poulp is only looking at their manufacturing cost plus the 10% cut from KS.

I have no idea if they'll just continue doing KS campaigns to re-print the game. I guess if there's enough hype, they can continue to do that. There's also talk about taking their system into different genres, of which sci-fi and fantasy have been bandied about.

So IF I wanted to get my hands on a copy right now... what do I do?

Edit: Ah, I see: https://www.kickstarter.com/project.../pledge/new?clicked_reward=false&ref=internal

Most solo (and co-op) games are essentially solving puzzle. Elder Sign is a bit more like solitaire Yahtzee! with Lovecraft theme throw on top. There are some puzzle (or decision making) you have to make of where would be best to go consider what you have but it's very light. If you like heavy deck-builder with a lot of puzzle and card synergy might want to take a look at Mage Knight or Star Trek Frontiers. The rules are super dense (especially Mage Knight) and can be quite a bear to learn.

My current favorite solo puzzle game is Spirit Island. You do deckbuilding however it's more like Shadowrun where you take cards directly into your hands and use it (like Concordia or Century Spice Road). There are multiple Spirits to play and there are many cards that you can combo off one another. Highly recommend this game, the only thing is it is in between print so might be hard to find on-line but your local store might still have them in stock.

Another gem I discovered is Shadowscape. This is set in Mistfall universe but it's more like Warhammer Quest the Card game where you have four cards that are your choice of action and you tap them and then flip them over. You can't do the same actions the following turn (because you flip it) but there are alternate actions on the other side. There are card that you lay out like tile as dungeon where monsters move. You fight them using cards (no dice) and collect them to trade them in to advance end game (fight big boss) or you trade them in for advance skill action card or item. The flip side is the more monster you kill the more they could overrun the dungeon because if you kill all one type then you repopulate the dungeon with them. So you constantly have to make decision of which one to kill and which one to ignore.

Ok folks, what are your favorite card drafting games? Me and my play group used to be BIG into Magic and we especially loved drafting. I'm kind of looking for a game that will give a similar feel to drafting Magic. I've recently picked up Sushi Go Party! and while that seems fun it isn't going to be the same feel that drafting Magic has (at least, I don't think so. Haven't had a chance to play it yet). I also have Inis and me and my group love that game, but it also isn't really scratching the same drafting itch that Magic scratches.

I guess to go into more detail, when you draft Magic you usually pick a color (or two) to draft. Then you'll start to draft a certain strategy for that color, for example I'll start picking red cards that cause instant damage when played. A friend will start drafting blue cards that cause the other player to discard from the top of their deck. And then once the draft is finished, we actually play with those decks we created. Are there any drafting games that scratch that same type of itch, without also being a collectible card game?

Ok folks, what are your favorite card drafting games? Me and my play group used to be BIG into Magic and we especially loved drafting. I'm kind of looking for a game that will give a similar feel to drafting Magic. I've recently picked up Sushi Go Party! and while that seems fun it isn't going to be the same feel that drafting Magic has (at least, I don't think so. Haven't had a chance to play it yet). I also have Inis and me and my group love that game, but it also isn't really scratching the same drafting itch that Magic scratches.

I guess to go into more detail, when you draft Magic you usually pick a color (or two) to draft. Then you'll start to draft a certain strategy for that color, for example I'll start picking red cards that cause instant damage when played. A friend will start drafting blue cards that cause the other player to discard from the top of their deck. And then once the draft is finished, we actually play with those decks we created. Are there any drafting games that scratch that same type of itch, without also being a collectible card game?

7 wonders thought it doesn't really have the play with what you drafted mechanic, but the strategy is similar of how you build your empire. Perhaps 7 wonders duel I've not played it but its only 2 player.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

It isn’t drafting but you might want to check out Millenium Blades. It is a board game that simulates the life of a CCG player. There are real time phases of each round where you buy packs (cards) from the store board to make decks out of. You also can sell back to the store for money to buy more packs, or trade with other players. There is a current meta which gets you points based on how you build your deck. After the timed phase is over you construct a deck and play a “tournament”, with the winners getting victory points and promo cards. You also get victory points for having the best collection each round. It really is something, and as a group of former magic players we absolutely love it.

Karkador

Banned

Right, what you seem to be looking for is the two-step process of "draft these cards first to formulate a strategy", THEN "execute the plan with what you gathered".

Seasons has that pre-game drafting. You start with a draft of 9 cards, which you then organize into Year 1, Year 2, and Year 3. In Year 1, you get the first 3 cards into your hand, then in Year 2 you get the next 3, and so on. Within those years, you have shifting seasons that roll corresponding dice to supply you with different energies (or extra cards). Timing is a huge part of the game. It's not a battling game, but you are trying to play the cards and use them in conjunction to crunch as many points as possible in those 3 years.

If your'e looking maybe for a solo game (with a 2P mode, but i haven't tried it), Sylvion is basically a Plants vs Zombies game where you first draft different forest creatures into a deck that you'll use to fight a fire that's progressively consuming the forest.

Are any of the Zombicide games really good for solo? I was looking at Black Plague but you have to control 6 characters. Also Kickstarter shannanigans are a usual deterrent.
Another gem I discovered is Shadowscape. This is set in Mistfall universe but it's more like Warhammer Quest the Card game where you have four cards that are your choice of action and you tap them and then flip them over. You can't do the same actions the following turn (because you flip it) but there are alternate actions on the other side. There are card that you lay out like tile as dungeon where monsters move. You fight them using cards (no dice) and collect them to trade them in to advance end game (fight big boss) or you trade them in for advance skill action card or item. The flip side is the more monster you kill the more they could overrun the dungeon because if you kill all one type then you repopulate the dungeon with them. So you constantly have to make decision of which one to kill and which one to ignore.
I've been eyeing this but the reviews seem mixed. Also the graphic design is very mediocre with the character and monster tiles not contrasting enough with the tiles which don't have much variety.

Most solo (and co-op) games are essentially solving puzzle. Elder Sign is a bit more like solitaire Yahtzee! with Lovecraft theme throw on top. There are some puzzle (or decision making) you have to make of where would be best to go consider what you have but it's very light. If you like heavy deck-builder with a lot of puzzle and card synergy might want to take a look at Mage Knight or Star Trek Frontiers. The rules are super dense (especially Mage Knight) and can be quite a bear to learn.

My current favorite solo puzzle game is Spirit Island. You do deckbuilding however it's more like Shadowrun where you take cards directly into your hands and use it (like Concordia or Century Spice Road). There are multiple Spirits to play and there are many cards that you can combo off one another. Highly recommend this game, the only thing is it is in between print so might be hard to find on-line but your local store might still have them in stock.

I actually have Mage Knight, but I need the time to learn it!
Thanks for the suggestions (everybody!) will look into them.

Another thing, speaking of reprinted games/editions, how are Gloom Of Kilforth and Fireteam Zero? I see there's kickstarters for both

I actually have Mage Knight, but I need the time to learn it!
Thanks for the suggestions (everybody!) will look into them.

Another thing, speaking of reprinted games/editions, how are Gloom Of Kilforth and Fireteam Zero? I see there's kickstarters for both

i red some lukewarm review for gloom of kilforth, but i'll be biting the bullet here :p

It isn't drafting but you might want to check out Millenium Blades. It is a board game that simulates the life of a CCG player. There are real time phases of each round where you buy packs (cards) from the store board to make decks out of. You also can sell back to the store for money to buy more packs, or trade with other players. There is a current meta which gets you points based on how you build your deck. After the timed phase is over you construct a deck and play a ”tournament", with the winners getting victory points and promo cards. You also get victory points for having the best collection each round. It really is something, and as a group of former magic players we absolutely love it.

So, that sounds really awesome. Definitely put it towards the top of my "next game to get" list.

That Seasons game mentioned by Karkador also sounds pretty intriguing. Sylvion sounds interesting as well, but not really looking for solo games.

Also, unrelated question, is Terra Mystica out of print? It seems like a really cool, and also really intimidating game. I'm aware there's a scifi version coming out soon, but my play group would definitely be more interested in the fantasy theme of Terra Mystica.

fenners

Also, unrelated question, is Terra Mystica out of print? It seems like a really cool, and also really intimidating game. I'm aware there's a scifi version coming out soon, but my play group would definitely be more interested in the fantasy theme of Terra Mystica.

It's just between print runs AFAIK.

So, that sounds really awesome. Definitely put it towards the top of my "next game to get" list.

That Seasons game mentioned by Karkador also sounds pretty intriguing. Sylvion sounds interesting as well, but not really looking for solo games.

Have you looked at clans of caledonia? Seems to be Terra Mystica like but not as abstract.

Top Bottom