• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I used to think the term "Juggalo" meant "Gay"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
as a kid i used to think people who could understand and speak other languages actually heard that language in english.

so, if i was to learn chinese, gradually i would start hearing chinese words as english words.

Viewt

This isn't mine, but it's still one of my favorite misconceptions.

It was sophomore year of college, and I was talking to my roommate, and he brought up how awesome it would be to have a bar with a tap at your house. The conversation pretty much went as follows.

Me: Well, I mean, we've had kegs here. It's pretty much the same concept.
Him: Yeah, but it's not like a bar. Kegs can run out.
Me: Yeah, but so can bars...
Him: Dude, I'm talking about having the same setup they have at bars.

I just sort of looked at him for a minute, confused.

Me: ... How do you think bars get their beer?
Him: ...
Me: ... Dude.
Him: You know... From the factory.

My mouth was agape. I was floored.

Me: Wait a fucking minute. Are you envisioning a complex network of pipes leading from breweries to bars around the nation?
Him: Yeah, exactly!
Me: Are you out of your fucking mind? :lol

Just to recap, my roommate that that bars were all connected to tubes that stretched out for hundreds of miles from "beer factories" to their taps.

Viewt said:
This isn't mine, but it's still one of my favorite misconceptions.

It was sophomore year of college, and I was talking to my roommate, and he brought up how awesome it would be to have a bar with a tap at your house. The conversation pretty much went as follows.

Me: Well, I mean, we've had kegs here. It's pretty much the same concept.
Him: Yeah, but it's not like a bar. Kegs can run out.
Me: Yeah, but so can bars...
Him: Dude, I'm talking about having the same setup they have at bars.

I just sort of looked at him for a minute, confused.

Me: ... How do you think bars get their beer?
Him: ...
Me: ... Dude.
Him: You know... From the factory.

My mouth was agape. I was floored.

Me: Wait a fucking minute. Are you envisioning a complex network of pipes leading from breweries to bars around the nation?
Him: Yeah, exactly!
Me: Are you out of your fucking mind? :lol

Just to recap, my roommate that that bars were all connected to tubes that stretched out for hundreds of miles from "beer factories" to their taps.

The idea of beer plumbing is awesome, though. Cold, Hot, and Beer.

iirate

Viewt said:
beer tubes
:lol

When I was really young, I thought that a road sign with an arrow pointing upwards meant that the road was suitable for emergency plane takeoff.

In the 7th grade, I thought a prostitute was another word for lawyer (obviously mixing it up with prosecutor), then proceeded to tell several of my friends at school that my sister was one.

Axion22

I lived in a condominium growing up. It was some time before I realized a condo was not the same as a condom.

kai3345

Banned
EL Beefo said:
I believed that girls pee'd out of their butts for much longer than I should have.
I did this too.

When I was told the truth I was also given another misconception.

(3rd grade)
Me: What would happen if a girl pee'd and pooped at the same time?
Friend: What?
Me: You know, 'cause girls pee out of their butts, since they don't have a wiener.
Friend: Dude, chicks pee out of their bergina idiot.

So then for the next two years I thought it was bergina instead of vagina

Sallokin

My most embarrassing one was due to me mistranslating something in Portuguese from one of my parents. I thought that showering or swimming after you ate would kill you. Needless to say I ate pretty sparingly until they corrected me :D

Aesius

When my family got our first computer, there was a startup video that played after you first booted it up.

I had recently watched something at school about internet videoconferencing, and being completely clueless about computers, I asked my mom if the guy could see us. :lol The sad thing is I was 9 years old at the time - not really that young.

Red

I know a nurse of 25 years who didn't realize until a week after her retirement that catheters didn't get inserted directly into vaginas. A certain related incident "forced" her retirement, and she didn't realize her mistake until I talked to her.

And you know, I don't think she even completely believed me afterwards.

When I was really young I found a shiny rock and convinced myself that there was gold under this hill at my elementary school. I ended up convincing a group of (around) ten kids to spend their time digging holes during their recess to look for this imaginary gold. I just sat around and watched as they did the work for me. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom