• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Influences Episode 2 - Dan "Shoe" Hsu

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
In this episode I talk with Dan about early gaming and how he got into the industry. We also talk about the current state of games media and Dan sums up his thoughts on print journalism in its current state.

I do want may a small apology for the sound quality, the sound itself is fine, but every ten minutes or so you will hear a weird noise that sounds like an old arcade jingle, I did try my best in post to reduce the effects of this noise so that it would no interfere with the episode.

Here's the iTunes link

Here's the Direct Link

RSS Feed

Offical Blog

Gomu Gomu

Whoa there, slow down cowboy :lol . Might wanna separate the episodes a little. :p
Foliorum Viridum said:
Dan "I have a girlfriend" Hsu killed Bitmob for me, so I won't be listening to this one.
:lol Seriously.

big_z

Foliorum Viridum said:
I liked the JD episode, but Dan "I have a girlfriend" Hsu killed Bitmob for me, so I won't be listening to this one.

maybe you can try bitmob again since he's now Dan "i got dumped" hsu.

Curufinwe

Foliorum Viridum said:
I liked the JD episode, but Dan "I have a girlfriend" Hsu killed Bitmob for me, so I won't be listening to this one.

If you listen to last week's Mobcast you'll discover that phase of his life is over with.

Really? :lol I stopped listening months ago.

Nah the format was getting stale so he's not the sole reason, but the most annoying thing of all was him mentioning her all the time, or even worse when she'd be on the show too and they're indulge in the most boring of discussions.

Anyway, that's now what this thread is for. My original comment was more a compliment on the show being interesting with the right person than a dig at Dan. :)

StuBurns

Banned
Hearing her bitch about 3D killed the show for me, not listened since.

Downloaded the podcast, will give it a listen later, thanks.

big_z

Nah the format was getting stale so he's not the sole reason, but the most annoying thing of all was him mentioning her all the time, or even worse when she'd be on the show too and they're indulge in the most boring of discussions.

bitmob is hit and miss, depends on whos on the podcast and the topics. the one where they talk about getting abducted into an alien arcade zoo was good and so was the "god damn you minotaur!" episode.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
There's a problem with the direct link, when I copy + paste it shows up as:
"http://traffic.libsyn.com/pauljeremiah/Gaming_Influences_Episode_2.mp3%20"

So I guess you added a space at the end by mistake (the first episode has none of that in the direct link)? I removed the space at the end and it worked fine. Thought I would mention it in case anyone else has a problem downloading it. :)

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Kiriku said:
There's a problem with the direct link, when I copy + paste it shows up as:
"http://traffic.libsyn.com/pauljeremiah/Gaming_Influences_Episode_2.mp3%20"

So I guess you added a space at the end by mistake (the first episode has none of that in the direct link)? I removed the space at the end and it worked fine. Thought I would mention it in case anyone else has a problem downloading it. :)

Thanks I'll fix that in my first post

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Gomu Gomu said:
Whoa there, slow down cowboy :lol . Might wanna separate the episodes a little. :p

:lol Seriously.

Just letting you know that Episode 3 is been recorded tonight and will be release about the same time tomorrow, then I'll slow down for a few days :D

StuBurns

Banned
Listened to the episode, surprised to hear Hsu's take on the print press. I think he's right in a very two dimensional way, physically printed magazines are a dying breed, but I think with things like the iPad and the growing use of things like Kindles, a quite traditional magazine style company could be sustained thru digital sales. I know it's opening your magazine to piracy, but if something like Edge had digital monthly subscriptions, I think they'd make a lot of money, they could distribute the world over as well. People will pay for good content if the form factor is right I think. People aren't going to pay to use Kotaku of course, because it's shit, but I'd certainly pay for digital Edge.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
StuBurns said:
Listened to the episode, surprised to hear Hsu's take on the print press. I think he's right in a very two dimensional way, physically printed magazines are a dying breed, but I think with things like the iPad and the growing use of things like Kindles, a quite traditional magazine style company could be sustained thru digital sales. I know it's opening your magazine to piracy, but if something like Edge had digital monthly subscriptions, I think they'd make a lot of money, they could distribute the world over as well. People will pay for good content if the form factor is right I think. People aren't going to pay to use Kotaku of course, because it's shit, but I'd certainly pay for digital Edge.

GAMEStm is on itunes, would love to see Edge been delivered digitally

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Foliorum Viridum said:

common dude, give it a try, I promise I will make it up to you with my next guest

StuBurns

Banned
pauljeremiah said:
common dude, give it a try, I promise I will make it up to you with my next guest
It's Mila Kunis isn't it? The first video podcast, can't wait.

Sorry, just watch Eli last night, inspired by your podcast in fact, Davison mentioned it

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I think this solves the mystery of who my guest will be tonight

4924404128_5b22137c19_o.jpg

No_Style

A few questions:

What was that noise? A phone? And that was a looong pause with Dan while he was thinking about this least favorite word.

I really liked your first podcast and will listen to all your new ones. I loved the fact that you ended the first one with all these bullshit questions an 8-year old asks for an interview, yet spawned some interesting conversation nonetheless. :D

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
No_Style said:
A few questions:

What was that noise? A phone? And that was a looong pause with Dan while he was thinking about this least favorite word.

i have no idea what that noise was, i really tried to get rid of it in post. as for the long pause, well he was thinking, there was a 2 other times when he paused to think, and I did edit those out.

No_Style

pauljeremiah said:
i have no idea what that noise was, i really tried to get rid of it in post. as for the long pause, well he was thinking, there was a 2 other times when he paused to think, and I did edit those out.

:lol

Yeah, I knew he was thinking, but I had to check my Windows Media Player to ensure that it didn't stop.

Great job nonetheless. I look forward to the Jeff Green episode.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
StevePharma said:
I really liked your first podcast and will listen to all your new ones. I loved the fact that you ended the first one with all these bullshit questions an 8-year old asks for an interview, yet spawned some interesting conversation nonetheless. :D

thanks dude.

well that's what I wanted to create with the podcast an interesting conversation.

daycru

I've enjoyed the first two shows, subscribed on iTunes. My only criticism, and I'd probably do the same thing due to nerves, is that your questions tend to be really meandering. You ask the question, restate in a different form, and then ask it again. I'm sure you'll work through it as you get more shows under your belt but it might be something to think about. Keep up the good work!

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
WhiskeyKnight said:
The podcast is cool and all, but I think you need guests besides ex-Ziff Davis employees for it to live up to its title.

I agree, I have contacted other people but have yet to hear back. This is just the way it happened, I was thinking that myself earlier.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
daycru said:
I've enjoyed the first two shows, subscribed on iTunes. My only criticism, and I'd probably do the same thing due to nerves, is that your questions tend to be really meandering. You ask the question, restate in a different form, and then ask it again. I'm sure you'll work through it as you get more shows under your belt but it might be something to think about. Keep up the good work!

thanks, I'll try to keep them shorter and more to the point when I interview Jeff tonight

coopolon

For some reason when I try to subscribe to the RSS feed using Google Listen, it loads up all 4 episodes you've done of Blogcast, one of which is with John Davison, but when I try to listen to it, it tells me, "An error occurred while playing this episode." The fact that the rss feed works fine in firefox seems to suggest it's not your fault though.

stewy

WhiskeyKnight said:
The podcast is cool and all, but I think you need guests besides ex-Ziff Davis employees for it to live up to its title.

My sentiments exactly. Very cool show. But don't ruin the idea by interviewing all the usual suspects. Get some guys and gals on there that don't make the podcast rounds every month or so.

Top Bottom