• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Giolon

MWO finally did away with the old skill trees and implemented a much more complex (probably too complex) set of trees that force actual choices to be made. Most weapon quirks have been removed from mechs and put into the new trees. There's a lot to be discovered about it, but on first impression (after getting over the OMG who made this UI?!) I think I like at least the concept of it. I think there are definitely going to be mechs that need some help or nerfed after seeing this in action.

A brief description of the new system is:

• Skill trees now operate on a per mech basis, rather than a per variant basis.
  • 237 Total Nodes in the new Skill Tree
  • 91 Nodes is equivalent to "Mastered" in the prior system, and is the maximum number of nodes you can have activated on a mech at any time.

• Unlocking nodes costs 1 SP.
  • 1 SP costs 45,000 C-bills and 800XP.
  • De-activating a node is free. Re-activating an already unlocked node costs 400XP.

• Prior skill tree progress is rewarded as Historical Skill Points (HSP) that can be used on any copy of the mech variant they were earned on. (Owning multiple mechs of the same variant rewarded a multiple of HSP)

• All prior purchased Modules have been refunded as General Skill Points (GSP) that may be used on any mech.

• Prior purchased and unused consumables have been refunded as C-Bills or MC, however they were originally purchased.
Metamechs has put together a nice starter guide for what he thinks is valuable in each of the trees for what types of mechs and builds.

The best skill calculator out so far is Kitlaan's: https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/, though note that the values for Armor Hardening and Skeletal Density are based on mech tonnage, and aren't reflected properly in the tool (Lighter mechs get higher percentages since they're dealing with lower numbers to begin with)

Example of CPLT-K2 PPC Build

yBeG6uR.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
I assume modifiers stack additively (ie 0.75%+0.75%=1.5% less heat)?

And that "per mech basis" means owned 'Mechs? If i have multiple copies of a 'Mech variant, each one has its own skill tree?

Hate that reactivation fee thing. Means i can't experiment or change my build once i'm committed. I don't have enough XP for everything... nor do i play enough to get enough.

Giolon

Didn't know gaf's MWO thread is active.

I got back into this game like 2 weeks ago.

I dunno about active, lol. The thread did die for 2 months! Feel free to look me up in-game. My handle's Dark Radiance.

I assume modifiers stack additively (ie 0.75%+0.75%=1.5% less heat)?

And that "per mech basis" means owned 'Mechs? If i have multiple copies of a 'Mech variant, each one has its own skill tree?

Hate that reactivation fee thing. Means i can't experiment or change my build once i'm committed. I don't have enough XP for everything... nor do i play enough to get enough.

Yes.

Yes. Yes.

Respecing is IMO a relatively low cost. PGI says they balanced the skill point cost (45,000 c-bills and 800XP) around the single match average earnings of Tier 4 and 5 (e.g. lower skill) players without premium time. 400XP to reactivitate an already earned node is pretty cheap in my opinion. However, it still does mean that if you wanted to fully respect an existing mech (for which you already previously unlocked all the nodes you want), it'll take around 45 matches -- as a bad player, without premium time. That number only goes down as you get better. Last night I was earning 1000+ XP on good matches. When you consider that the 3-variants rule is gone, and the amount of XP it took to actually master a single mech included basic'ing out 2 others you may not want as well, I think this is better. Of course I wouldn't complain either if the price was made 50% cheaper (200-XP for a re-spec).

Since it's a F2P game I expect there to be some level of grind. Without the 3-variants rule, I assume PGI still wanted some system to encourage people to buy multiple of the same type of mech. (PGI: Want a K2 thats a PPC boat and one that's an AC10 platform? Just buy 2 of 'em and spec them differently!)

Lime

By the way Mech Con was announced for this year again. I hope for some nice news just like last year. I hope PGI are progressing with MW5 and I'm happy about the tech and assets at least that they're using.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I am so hyped for Tuesday, haven't been this excited for any game's patch in my life.

I messed around on the PTS, this new tech is going to literally change the game. I say that with special emphasis on the Light Fusion Engines.

I whaled out and bought the base packs for the Uziel and Mad Cat Mk.II.

Is there a GAF group for this game. I'm looking to jump in. Haven't played since year 1

There isn't a GAF unit, but I play with a unit of great guys. PM me if you're looking for someone to join.

edit: by the way to anyone, I'm LT. Hardcase in game, add me!

Nete

Looking at that those patch notes, I'm almost tempted to reinstall the game and mess a bit with the new toys.

Almost.

Giolon

Looking at that those patch notes, I'm almost tempted to reinstall the game and mess a bit with the new toys.

Almost.

Why not? The game's been fantastic since the Skill Tree revamp two months ago (The UI for it is terrifying, but the effect on gameplay has been incredibly positive, and you can hit up www.metamechs.com for some guidance including "I don't want to deal with this just tell me what to do"). It's probably close to the best it's ever been.

Top Bottom