• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Sammy acquires Index (Atlus) for 14 billion yen, now a subsidiary of Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
Non-Google confirmation:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/09/17/sega-purchases-atlus-for-14-billion-yen/55909/

After the revelation came about that popular Japanese game publisher, Atlus, and its parent company, Index Corp, were facing fraud allegations and had filed for bankruptcy, speculation began to fly about what would happen to the beloved game company. After just a few months, however, it looks like Sega Sammy Holdings has purchased Index Corp for 14 billion yen. The acquisition will happen in November, as reported by Japanese news site Nikkei, and will involve a restructuring of the company.

Additional details are scarce, but we’ll make sure to follow this story as it unfolds. No word what this means for Atlus USA.

To clarify (finally), Sega Sammy wants to revitalize Index's handheld and home console games division. Sega has been loosing money the last two quarters largely due to a downturn in the Western gaming market [according to the article, dunno if it's true].

Atlus, Index's gaming brand, has quite strong gaming franchises, like Shin Megami Tensei, and has been making a yearly profit recently. Sega Sammy would like to use the assets of Atlus productively, including the idea of them developing games for smartphones.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASDD1801E_Y3A910C1000000/

I used Google so I might be wrong, don't ban me lol

edit: For those too lazy to do that conversion it's about ~$140 million.

Bloomberg said:
Sega Sammy Holdings Inc. (6460) won an auction to buy Index Corp., the bankrupt Japanese developer of handheld games, two people with knowledge of the matter said.

The acquisition may be valued at about 14 billion yen ($141 million), said one of the people, who asked not to be identified before an announcement scheduled for as early as today. Index’s bankruptcy advisers plan to complete a deal with Sega Corp., a unit of Sega Sammy, in early November, they said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...on-to-buy-bankrupt-japan-gamemaker-index.html

Oh man... More games that won't get localize wonderful... I thought Sony for sure was gonna snatch it to make them some good RPGS but nope... very disappointed.

DaBoss

That is an interesting purchase by Sega Sammy.

EDIT: Hopefully Sega's recent changes doesn't affect Atlus and its localizations.

braves01

Banned
Persona x Sonic: Waifus just got furrier.

sonic___persona_3_by_mcgenio-d3abx49.png

epmode

It could have been worse. At least Sega realizes the potential of PC + digital distribution. ..as they stop production of almost all of their IPs.

Ah well, Atlus had a nice run.

jivran

Neo Member
Could be worse in my opinion. As long as they still make quality 3DS games like they have been doing recently, I can't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom