• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how easily he went down in the story, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

But he's probably going into my Demon tribal Commander deck anyway.

You, I like.

Santiako: why must you torment yourself by asking this question? You know Red has to get the worse version of whatever Blue gets. If Blue gets to draw cards, Red draws and discards. If Blue gets to steal a permanent, Red steals a permanent until the end of turn. If Blue gets to take extra turns, Red gets to take extra turns on the condition that they forfeit the game afterwards.

This is Red's lot in life.

Chandra's Defeat should have done damage to the player, rather than discard and draw. Or tap down/destroy a land or something.

EDIT: Given that Bolas is directly touching both Gideon and Chandra, I'd say things aren't looking good for either of them.
Don't worry, no Jacetice Leaguers were harmed!

Wichu

I expect demon #4 to be closer to Grisel tier. Lili is going to get ahem "dunked on" by this foe, Chain Veil and all. Kind of hope he snaps his fingers and the Veil just disintegrates.

Razaketh would easily have destroyed Liliana if the rest of the Gatewatch weren't there to save her. If Bolas disbands the Gatewatch, Liliana stands no chance.

Jace's Defeat scrys 2, Chandra's Defeat rummages 1. Chandra's answers a threat on board; Jace's requires it on the stack. I'd say the red and blue members of this cycle are basically equivalent.

Firemind

Countering a blue spell is way better than 5 damage to a red creature though

Which red creature even needs 5 damage to be killed?

It's a little surprising that even Liliana gets wrecked here. Isn't she almost as old as Bolas himself?

I would have expected the rest of the League to get destroyed and for her to just bail out and abandon the Gatewatch to do her own thing.

It's a little surprising that even Liliana gets wrecked here. Isn't she almost as old as Bolas himself?

I would have expected the rest of the League to get destroyed and for her to just bail out and abandon the Gatewatch to do her own thing.
Liliana is hundreds of years old, while Bolas is thousands of years old.

The fact that everything is hunky dory on Kaladesh just confirms how dumb the consulates plot was. Again, what was their scheme? Tezerret wanted the portal, but what did they gain?

You're right Chandra was in a wheelchair for like 2 whole days.

Clearly, we have different ideas of what constitutes sacrifice.
Okay, maybe Sacrifice was the wrong word, but there was definitely a level of high risk in destroying Zendikar+Themselves/leaving Zendikar a Wasteland.

DrArchon

Countering a blue spell is way better than 5 damage to a red creature though

Which red creature even needs 5 damage to be killed?

I was going to make a joke about Combustible Gearhulk, but that's got 6 toughness.

Yeah, countering any blue spell beats dealing 5 to any red creature/planeswalker. At least Jace's Defeat can be used on other counterspells, Torrential Gearhulks, Bolas, whatever else if you REALLY can't be asked to use a better counterspell.

I mean, none of these are any good, except maybe Liliana's Defeat in Modern and even then it's no Fatal Push.

Not even close lol. Liliana is barely even an oldwalker wheras Bolas may be the oldwalker at this point. I think only Ugin is close/older than him. He's also an Elder Dragon.

DrArchon

Not even close lol. Liliana is barely even an oldwalker wheras Bolas may be the oldwalker at this point. I think only Ugin is close/older than him. He's also an Elder Dragon.

I was under the impression that the original Elder Dragon war was the oldest recorded event in Magic's history, thus making Bolas the oldest creature in Magic's history. Isn't he something like 20,000 years old?

Granted, I have no idea how old Ugin is supposed to be, so that throws a monkey wrench into things.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect her to defeat him or anything, but you'd think she'd be smart enough to bail out when it starts looking rough. She's even a black character, which would justify the selfishness of such a move

The 3 last chandras, not counting PW decks and flip, all drew cards.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect her to defeat him or anything, but you'd think she'd be smart enough to bail out when it starts looking rough. She's even a black character, which would justify the selfishness of such a move
Everything but panic walking takes time now. Except for gender but he's dead.

Man, Red walkers really don't tend to hang around at 5, do they? Even if you branch out into multicolor, Nahiri runs on evens and I don't think I've ever seen an Arlinn go that high. (Not that I see a lot of Arlinn.)

At least, unlike Liliana's, it doesn't outright kill Bolas himself, I guess.

Firemind

Yeah, countering any blue spell beats dealing 5 to any red creature/planeswalker. At least Jace's Defeat can be used on other counterspells, Torrential Gearhulks, Bolas, whatever else if you REALLY can't be asked to use a better counterspell.
Gainsay was legit in Standard and Block Constructed. Two mana makes a world of difference and unlike Negate, this can counter Gearhulk.

I'm confused, which red player are we talking about?
Whoever sideboards this against midrange/control.

I was under the impression that the original Elder Dragon war was the oldest recorded event in Magic's history, thus making Bolas the oldest creature in Magic's history. Isn't he something like 20,000 years old?

Granted, I have no idea how old Ugin is supposed to be, so that throws a monkey wrench into things.

Not sure either that's why I said "close/older" :p. Bolas is almost certainly the oldest living creature we've encountered since the Mending.

You'd think. But, given how pain is apparently all you need to stop someone Planeswalking... Given Liliana was terrified of Sorin, you'd think she'd be smart enough to tell the Gatewatch not to fuck with Bolas.

Also, while I get that she's supposed to look like she's burnt herself out and become helpless, it really just looks like Chandra needs heroin in the art.

Not sure either that's why I said "close/older" :p. Bolas is almost certainly the oldest living creature we've encountered since the Mending.

You'd think. But, given how pain is apparently all you need to stop someone Planeswalking... Given Liliana was terrified of Sorin, you'd think she'd be smart enough to tell the Gatewatch not to fuck with Bolas.

The Eldrazi, and possibly the Raven Man, say hello

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You're lucky you picked a funny thread title because that "OT thread creator privilege" thing totally doesn't exist.
LLShC.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To defeat Kozilek and Ulamog, the Gatewatch literally trapped them in an area, then channeled the entire Plane's mana into Chandra. Iirc, the story even mentions how Zendikar was warping around the event because of the sheer power that was being used.

It's not like they curbstomped the Eldrazi, far from it. It was a last ditch effort after the "Hall of Attractions Featuring Ulamog" failed.

Emrakul sealed herself away because "It's not time", which definitely makes the idea that it's supposed to go "Ulamog Eats Everything, Kozilek remakes the land, Emrakul remakes the organisms" theory true.

Tezzeret lost because he got cocky/The Consulate are the dumbest government in the Multiverse. What the fuck were they planning to gain from Tezerret's Portal?

That's one "Win because our Enemy is stupid", One Pyrrhic Victory(Zendikar is still in shambles) and one "Win because our Enemy conceded". I mean, a loss isn't bad, but they haven't been paired against a stronger opponent and won without sacrifice.

I thought it was pretty funny - they killed Kozilek and Ulamog by literally employing the Channel-Fireball combo.

Liliana is hundreds of years old, while Bolas is thousands of years old.

Yeah, we got the clarification on this around Origins. She's a few hundred, Bolas is thousands, Sorin is also thousands, but presumably less thousands. Nahiri is thousands too, but I suppose that depends if you count the amount of time she spent locked in a pitch black room because Sorin is a dick.

DrArchon

what if Urza is secretly alive, and he will join the Gatewatch as the wise old man who offers sage counsel to the younglings

I thought Ugin was going to be the Zordon to the GW's Power Rangers, but then they were all "Fuck you old man!"

Again, let Urza stay dead. Nothing would be worse than bringing Urza back.

bigkrev

Urza was decapitated, and his eyes were gouged out.

Thankfully, as a powerful green Magee, he can regrow a compete body.

Yeef

Both Ajani and Ugin have been set up as the wise, old mentors for the Gatewatch, and both times those characters said, "Hey, don't do that." They said, "Whateva, I do what I want!"

I'm fully expecting the Gatewatch to get an earful from Ajani, because "You Dense Motherfuckers" coming from Cat-Bro will be great.

I thought it was pretty funny - they killed Kozilek and Ulamog by literally employing the Channel-Fireball combo.
The best part of the kill flavorwise with channel and the OGW depicting it, we get you paying 1(Bonds of mortality), 12(Fall of the Titans), 1(Nissa VoZ), and 4( Chandra OGW) for 18 life, assuming you cast all in the same turn.

Angry Grimace

I don't understand people who play really slowly on MTGO. It does all the shuffling and shit for you.

If Ajani is the wise, old mentor to the Gatewatch, what's the over-under on him getting aced to save them from the consequences of their own impetuous behavior?

Poppy

I don't understand people who play really slowly on MTGO. It does all the shuffling and shit for you.

nothing more tilting than losing to a topdeck from someone under 1 minute of time when i have 16 minutes left

also i just block commander players that slow play now, nothing grows a hate list like playing commander on modo

noquarter

I slow play sometimes when I'm playing against a combo deck that has to do all of there bullshit to win. Won't concede, making them hit all of their triggers and don't play with a tempo, hoping they step away after I pass and get caught wasting time.

Fuck MTGO combo players, hope they get timed out.

Poppy

I slow play sometimes when I'm playing against a combo deck that has to do all of there bullshit to win. Won't concede, making them hit all of their triggers and don't play with a tempo, hoping they step away after I pass and get caught wasting time.

this seems like an unhealthy attitude

That's just being a dick for no reason dude.

Angry Grimace

Is Maro going to be there to shout randomly

OnPoint

Razaketh would easily have destroyed Liliana if the rest of the Gatewatch weren't there to save her. If Bolas disbands the Gatewatch, Liliana stands no chance.
I feel like that had less to do with raw power and more with clever contract writing. We will never know honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom