• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice - New SCE Vita action game, May 10 Conference [Up: Ad Images]

sony really no idea what makes a good handhold game

Except that the most sold PSP game in east is a game with missions that are from 30 minutes to 2 hours, and the most sold PSP game in west is a sandbox that you can only save in your hideout.

And one of the most sold DS games is a platform game where you not only you can't save inside a level... you are not able to save the game at all, between levels, if you don't have a special coin that allow to save, or finish a world.

6 page ad for an announcement? Seems like this is going to be a big deal and Sony is throwing a ton of resources behind it, good to see.

Ratrat

Except that the most sold PSP game in east is a game with missions that are from 30 minutes to 2 hours, and the most sold PSP game in west is a sandbox that you can only save in your hideout.

And one of the most sold DS games is a platform game where you not only you can't save inside a level... you are not able to save the game at all, between levels, if you don't have a special coin that allow to save, or finish a world.

What mission lasts two hours? Isn't there a 45 minute time limit?

sony really no idea what makes a good handhold game

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Patapon, Locoroco, Jeanne d'Arc, Badman/No Heroes Allowed, Patchwork Heroes and Gravity Daze are bad? Rubbish. SCEI were never the weak link when it came to the PSP, that was SCEA.

gogogow

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Patapon, Locoroco, Jeanne d'Arc, Badman/No Heroes Allowed, Patchwork Heroes and Gravity Daze are bad? Rubbish. SCEI were never the weak link when it came to the PSP, that was SCEA.

Huh? Resistance, Daxter, Jak & Daxter Frontier, Syphon Filters, God of Wars, SOCOM's, MotorStorm, Pursuit Force etc.

Jeanne d'Arc is Level 5, Badman is Acquire.

Japan is more oriented towards smaller budget portable game experiences, while SCEA/SCEE are more focused on bigger budget console experiences. Seems to be a nice combination. But I wished SCEJ would make a couple ofb igger games, like AAA RPGs.

Ryuuga

Banned
I don't see how you got to that conclusion....

It crossed my mind last night, but it's such a simplistic point of view that I didn't give it any further thought. Essentially, since this may be a first-party effort by Sony which is heavily marketed to stand toe-to-toe with Monster Hunter it'll make up for it's absence on the platform for the foreseeable future. A view completely ignorant to the fact that multiple developers have already tried their hand at capturing the success of the MH franchise.

^ Yup

Rootbeer

Banned
I hope the actual anouncement shows us some gameplay. That's when I'll know if it's for me. But I do like the look of the artwork. Question is... will the Japanese? Looks a bit macabre for their taste.

Kyoufu

I hope the actual anouncement shows us some gameplay. That's when I'll know if it's for me. But I do like the look of the artwork. Question is... will the Japanese? Looks a bit macabre for their taste.

Something tells me they didn't make this game to go after the 5 million MHP3 crowd. Not when it's called "Soul Sacrifice" anyway. I think if they wanted a mainstream game they would have went something a little less dark.

But that's just an assumption from me. We'll see what it looks and plays like in May.

DiscoJer

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too. High spec first party MH clone? Om nom nom.

That's what it should be.

The question is, with Sony, what will it actually be? And will Japan care? They didn't seem too much for Gravity Daze, Sony's last big Vita title in Japan.

Sony has tried and tried and tried and tried to make appealing software for Japan for the last several years and have they had any real success, on either the PSP, PS3, or Vita? When was the last million selling game they had besides Gran Turismo?

BadWolf

I hope its a good game and does well, Sony needs a strong IP of their own like this.

If this turns out to be the portable Demon Souls game we all wanted then that would be pretty damn sweet and way better than an MH game for me personally.

Mondriaan

I hope its a good game and does well, Sony needs a strong IP of their own like this.

If this turns out to be the portable Demon Souls game we all wanted then that would be pretty damn sweet and way better than an MH game for me personally.
The only thing wrong with Demon's Souls is that you can't choose to join up with friends without jumping through a bunch of hoops. It made perfect sense for DS given its theme of isolation, but I think this portable game needs to let people play with their friends in order to succeed.

Other than that, DS is a great starting point because it has pretty good PvP and co-op.

7threst

The only thing wrong with Demon's Souls is that you can't choose to join up with friends without jumping through a bunch of hoops. It made perfect sense for DS given its theme of isolation, but I think this portable game needs to let people play with their friends in order to succeed.

Other than that, DS is a great starting point because it has pretty good PvP and co-op.

I was thinking, what if this is like a MH/DS hybrid, where soul signs are used to summon or invite other people through Near or through local co-op? Something like that could work.

BadWolf

Judging by the artwork and 4 player thing they seem to be doing just that.

SykoTech

Meh. I wish they'd focus more on making unique and awesome games like Gravity Daze/Rush then cloning popular, mediocre franchises like Monster Hunter. Assuming that it actually is a clone and people aren't just jumping to conclusions.

Still, it's not impossible for clones to be better than the originals (ie. CTR >>>> any Mario Kart). Guess I'll at least wait for gameplay before writing it off.

Meh. I wish they'd focus more on making unique and awesome games like Gravity Daze/Rush then cloning popular, mediocre franchises like Monster Hunter. Assuming that it actually is a clone and people aren't just jumping to conclusions.

Still, it's not impossible for clones to be better than the originals (ie. CTR >>>> any Mario Kart). Guess I'll at least wait for gameplay before writing it off.

basically it'll follow MH game structure, mission based co-op, probably a story as well like in God Eater, but I think it'll have it's own unique combat.

this is just my guess obviously

Hyuga

Banned
Sony has tried and tried and tried and tried to make appealing software for Japan for the last several years and have they had any real success, on either the PSP, PS3, or Vita? When was the last million selling game they had besides Gran Turismo?

lulz wut?
Making appealing software for japan? Tried and tried and tried?
What do you mean? "Small" games like Patapon and Locoroco?
Boring RPG's from LEVEL "the main hero is a 12 year old boy in a radom generated dungeon" 5? Half-assed Wild Arms/Legaia games on the PS2 (not developed by Sony either)?
No, they haven't tried to make appealing software for japan.
They got Gran Turismo. That's it!

So I will say it again:
They need a BIG (J)RPG studio for the japanese market.
Or at least another AAA studio at SCEJ!
I don't know who the developer of Soul Sacrifice is.
But if it is a SCEJ-internal studio -> it's a good start!
(Yoshida already talked about it)

Not liking those images from Famitsu. They look awful. Doesn't look anything like a Souls game so my interest in the Vita has returned to zero.

Sony Japan really aren't known for developing a lot of games in house, so it'll be interesting to see which developer they chose for this project. Getting the Souls team to develop a MH-style game would be very interesting. Specifically because it would have a chance of breaking into the Western markets.

Could be pretty neat. I'm really interested in seeing how potentially graphical impressive a first party game can look on the vita when the hardware is pushed.

Is anything known about this May 10th conference? Is it a Vita centric conference or just a reveal for this one game?

Top Bottom