• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Wollan

That's one great OP.

Zen will have a large chunk of the PC gaming market and likely two console platforms in a few years.

dr_rus

I keep hearing conflicting things.

wvoc.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11143...or-under-330-preorder-today-on-sale-march-2nd

I am on a Core 2 duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz.. would the AMD 1500 be a big enough step up?

You've been NEEDING an upgrade for a while, pal. Literally anything on the Ryzen product stack would be a massive step up. Hell, getting a Pentium G4560 or Athlon 860k would be a big upgrade at this point.

ds8k

I've been thoroughly disappointed with my 4690k and r9 390 performance at 1440p. Hoping a 1700X and the new cards are a worthwhile upgrade.

Engell

I've been thoroughly disappointed with my 4690k and r9 390 performance at 1440p. Hoping a 1700X and the new cards are a worthwhile upgrade.

@1440P its all on the GPU, its a lot to ask of a R9 390.. changing to ryzen (or a 7700k) wont help you that much

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Got my 1800X preordered.

It almost seems surreal to see AMD back on top. We have been awaiting the second coming of Athlon 64 Jesus for over a decade now.

I wouldn't call myself a die hard AMD fan, but I am just really happy to see CPUs become exciting again.

Engell

That's a rather misleading section/image, it's using peak overclock score there, or an i7 7700K clocked to 5.15 GHz (normal clock is 4.5 GHz).

well you can just compare it to whatever CPU, and if you buy a 7700K I'm guessing u gonna OC it. Btw the Ryzen also has OC scores, so not sure how unfair it is.
also my screenshot was not from the "peak OC" section

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
My wife has started to complain that the computer is getting slow. I have been trying to put it off for a few years
Getting slow in daily usage? Or for gaming?

If it's just general usage like launching Windows, web browsing, etc, then it's not a CPU issue. What you want is plenty of RAM (at least 4GB, preferably 8) and a SSD.

Edit: on second thought, your wife is giving you permission to get a new computer. Best take advantage of it! Just make sure you get an SSD as part of your upgrade. She will be blown away at how fast it feels.

pestul

That's a rather misleading section/image, it's using peak overclock score there, or an i7 7700K clocked to 5.15 GHz (normal clock is 4.5 GHz).
That's the average of the peak overclocks of all the tested users. This bench only says 4.2GHz. If it's 4.2GHz Kaby vs 3.8GHz Ryzen.. I'd be a little disappointed with the SC results tbh. Not that we should put much stake in UserBenchmark anyway. Gaming benches will truly be interesting for those not optimized for more than 4 cores. The good news is that the trend heading forward is for multicore performance.

Ugh. Launch date = embargo. Not sure if that's a bad sign or just plain stupid on AMD's part.

Bad sign or good sign.... no way to tell until launch.

Do AMD want to hide the reviews until launch because they are bad?

Do AMD want to hide the reviews until launch because they are good but don't want Intel the undercut them before they can even launch?

Who knows?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
It's a CPU launch, not a console or videogame with massive pre-orders, Embargo until launch is normal and says absolutely nothing at all.

Seems a bit early for this? OT are usually within 48 hour of launch from what I know. It's still under NDA and all we have are "leaked" benches and nothing on gaming performance.

Seems a bit early for this? OT are usually within 48 hour of launch from what I know. It's still under NDA and all we have are "leaked" benches and nothing on gaming performance.

There were conflicting reports about when the NDAs ended. Some reports said today, others said launch... Turned out to be at launch... either way, we ARE currently about 48hrs out...

It's pretty usual for this type of thing. Quite annoying, but usual. It's not like CPUs are front-loaded sellers like games are.
It's a CPU launch, not a console or videogame with massive pre-orders, Embargo until launch is normal and says absolutely nothing at all.

Hm. I don't know if that's true or not so I'll take you guys' word for it.

But given limited quantities and whatnot, I expect pre-orders to play a pretty sizable role in all of this. If benchmarks were today and also not-shit, I'd preorder the hell out of it.

Datschge

Ugh. Launch date = embargo. Not sure if that's a bad sign or just plain stupid on AMD's part.
It seems AMD doesn't want Intel to be able to react in time for the launch. They might be onto something if the rumor is true that Intel wrote all possible sites to contact them first before publishing their Ryzen reviews.

Or plenty of the hardware is not yet in the final state BIOS wise, and the embargo ensures no early bad benchmarks due to bad BIOS versions.

I've been sitting on an overclocked i5 750 for years now, so I'm really excited to see how this pans out. I'd love to jump back to AMD.

dr_rus

I think that they are just rushing the launch somewhat, which is confirmed by the testers who have the h/w on hands already. Thus even a couple of days can mean a world of difference in performance between, say, BIOS versions. No idea why the sudden rush though, it's not like there's anything big coming from Intel anytime soon.

tuxfool

Banned
I think that they are just rushing the launch somewhat, which is confirmed by the testers who have the h/w on hands already. Thus even a couple of days can mean a world of difference in performance between, say, BIOS versions. No idea why the sudden rush though, it's not like there's anything big coming from Intel anytime soon.

They want to meet their 1st Quarter deadline, though I suppose they could have delayed it a few weeks.

Last month of Q1.

Edit: beaten

The embargo is done this way because reviewers need time to actually review the CPU's. They got the samples after the pre-launch event, so the time is already limited enough as is to make a quality review. Companies don't like to give review samples too early since it'll lead to leaks which negate launch day impact and piss off people abiding the embargo.

Pro

I imagine a ton of gamers still rock the 2500/2600, the thing was a masterpiece.

But yeah, i'm really wondering how the midrange of this chip will go. There is a huge market for mid range pc gaming, with a ton of people using 1080p monitors, bleeding edge power is seemingly wasted.

Heck, i'm still rocking a 290x, and that was an upgrade over my previous card. My 2600k/290 still plays pretty much everything I throw at it with respectable frames. Probabaly won't go for the GPU upgrade till the 490 drops.
I'm still on the 2600K. Upgraded GPU to the GTX 1080 from Radeon 7970 Crossfire setup just a few days ago. Was worried my CPU would now be the bottleneck, but so far the GPU upgrade has paid off in spades. Able to run Rise of the Tomb Raider at Very High preset and 2x SSAA in Geothermal Valley at 60 FPS. More CPU intensive games like Guild Wars 2 saw improvement still but not as much. I'd definitely recommend gamers on the 2600K or above make the GPU upgrade first. And also no need to worry about older PCI Express 1.0 Bus on MB. Performance difference negligible with a powerful GPU.

Just watched some starcraft on twitch and during the Intel ads were writting AMD, ryzen and ryzen >intel. So it looks like amd is getting rid of their bad image a bit, at least when it comes to gamers.

Chuckl3s

Is the 1800x over kill if I don't plan on overclocking? I plan on building a pc soon and that price tag of the best processor is intriguing.

turmoil

Banned
Subscribing, awesome OT and title.

Do you guys think that amd will launch some ryzen cpu to compete in the G4560 segment? The cheapest ryzen is almost two times as expensive.

Or is that APU market for AMD?

Also, no hope of ryzen cpus for laptops this year right?

Subscribing, awesome OT and title.

Do you guys think that amd will launch some ryzen cpu to compete in the G4560 segment? The cheapest ryzen is almost two times as expensive.

Or is that APU market for AMD?

Also, no hope of ryzen cpus for laptops this year right?

I almost expect all lower end Ryzen quad cores to be APUs.

spwolf

Is the 1800x over kill if I don't plan on overclocking? I plan on building a pc soon and that price tag of the best processor is intriguing.

we will know in 3-4 days.

For me most intersting part is not just work, but also ability to do several things at once. New Intel SSDs might help with this though.

joesiv

I've been sitting on an overclocked i5 750 for years now, so I'm really excited to see how this pans out. I'd love to jump back to AMD.

Me too! With these prices, I feel like jumping at the 1800X and get a nice M.2 upgrade too! I've had Athlon MP, Athlon 64, X2, then intel since

kotodama

Yaay OT up. Hopefully all the leaks are true and hopefully the gaming benchmarks will be great.

Thinking of getting the 1800X too, but still vacillating on board choice. May still wait for the ITX boards.

Top Bottom