• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is finally allowing account migration

MCD

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-support-now-accepting-requests-to-change-microsoft-account-regions/

It seems the sky has fallen, and Microsoft has finally bent to the reality that people do actually move from country to country.

The company is now accepting requests to have one’s region re-allocated from one supported country to another.

The process appears to be manual, and can take up to 6 weeks to complete, and the account is unavailable during the period. Also some content, especially Xbox Live games, may be lost during the process.

The solution, thought extremely clunky, is better than nothing, and hopefully once 1 billion people have Windows 8 PC’s with Microsoft Accounts built-in, Microsoft will stream-line it for the hundreds of thousands of people migrating each year.

Process takes a long time and is clunky at best but it's a start.

Update 1: Microsoft is testing streamlined region porting for Xbox Live

Update 2: Online tool is out now: https://live.xbox.com/en-US/AccountMigration

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Better than what they had. I am hoping that part of the reason this was put into place is to help transfer 360 accounts to their next-gen console as well. They really need to work on making sure purchased games transfer though, that really is a must.

Bear

It never ceases to amaze me how shitty XBL is to deal with, yet it still manages to be the market leader.

My experience with XBL accounts was a nightmare compared to (most) PC games.

Hypron

I was completely astounded when I discovered that policy a few years ago when I bought my first MS Point card and it wouldn't activate on my French gamertag (I currently live in New Zealand). To think they charge a premium for a service that's so unpartical...

blamite

Didn't they have a process like this a while ago, but it was only available for going from certain regions to other certain regions? They're just opening it up everywhere now? This is a step in the right direction I guess, too bad the process itself sounds pretty terrible.

Better than what they had. I am hoping that part of the reason this was put into place is to help transfer 360 accounts to their next-gen console as well. They really need to work on making sure purchased games transfer though, that really is a must.

it's pretty easy to be better than nothing.

Polk

They didn't have this before? Why did XBL have this policy to begin with..
Actually you could transfer your gamertag from one country to anorher via web before last redesign in few territores (like Poland) because formal introduction of XBL in those countries. You even got free MSP by doing that.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The process appears to be manual, and can take up to 6 weeks to complete, and the account is unavailable during the period. Also some content, especially Xbox Live games, may be lost during the process.

well that's one way to cut my backlog - i'll move my account over to Japan and lose a boat load of games! ;)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Risk losing games by changing regions? Just use VPN why don't you?

VPN wont let you redeem Microsoft points from one region if your account is from another.
e.g Your account is from the UK but you live in the US.

VPN wont let you pay for anything using your credit card if its address is not in the same country as your account.

On Topic
Fucking finally.....it only took them 6 years to get this down.....ive been gaming with a UK account for years now praying my Xbox wont die because the two times ive moved over they years ive had to keep buying MS points for my dummy accounts to get games and DLC.

You know what, i probably wont even do this till next gen cuz im gonna be moving again next year.....fuck you MS migrating accounts should take 24Hours tops.

BosSin

Meanwhile Steam automatically switches the region of the store it shows you when going abroad (at least from my experience)

Stepto wasn't involved in that stuff. He was just in charge of people's accounts being banned and such.

When Geoff Keighley's account got FIFA-fucked, stepto had sorted it out within hours. At that time, the proles were waiting upwards of a month to have access to their account restored and their money back. "It takes a lot of time to investigate," they were told.

Arjen

Finally!! Means i can finally set up my main account to be in my home country instead of the US.

Oh nevermind..guess i'll stick to paying for things in dollars then, at least it's cheaper that way.

Polk

4.jpg

Proof you could do that via their site in november 2010 and it was immediate, not 6 weeks wait.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
4.jpg

Proof you could do that via their site in november 2010 and it was immediate, not 6 weeks wait.

You could only move to one of the newly implemented regions like South Africa.
You couldnt move for instance from UK to US.

Im still not sure why it takes six weeks though.

What's the current procedure if I move from, let's say, Europe (UK account) to USA?
Of course I want to keep my gamertag, achievements, games, DLC... EVERYTHING. I just want the region changed. AFAIK, that can't be done at the moment and this "change" does little to help that if it something "may be lost during the process"? #wtf

Ranger X

Having such a thing in 2012 is ridiculous.
Microsoft is supposed to be a software genius and yet there's this dinosauf of an option now available.

All digital games should have a "locked" "unlocked" status that an admin should be able to change from anywhere in this freaking earth and this regardless of region. The region lock for games should simply be a flag in the store removing some games and putting them "locked" by default. I can't imagine to begin their current clunky design. (not saying mine is less clunky though) Just meaning I am sure it can be tremendously simpler.

Fowler

What's the current procedure if I move from, let's say, Europe (UK account) to USA?
Of course I want to keep my gamertag, achievements, games, DLC... EVERYTHING. I just want the region changed. AFAIK, that can't be done at the moment and this "change" does little to help that if it something "may be lost during the process"? #wtf

In fairness, I'm guessing the "may be lost" is MS covering their ass in case you want to move something that wasn't released in a certain region due to licensing issues. (For instance, if I were to move from UK to HK, I fully expect to lose access to movies and all that, since movies are not available on HK XBL.)

I know, you bought it, you should be able to keep it, but I get that licenses and lawyers do not necessarily have our best interests at heart...

i wont even try this. MS Customer service is the worst in the world.

After months of trying to get them to remove my credit card details from their system (then being threatened by them that even if i get gold card points they would STILL charge my CC even though i told them not to) , i really dont want to try this.

I only got my CC removed when my account was FIFA'd and they had to refund my points.

I would love to change region as i am on Australia but have had my xbox in the UAE since 2006 (there is no UAE region now) so there is nothing i can do.

6 weeks? lolz

You were always going to be able to transfer your Xbox Live account to the next console. Just like you could when going from the original Xbox to the Xbox 360.

markot

Banned
They were supposed to be streamlining their online stuff with windows 8, but my account is still locked to us, and their suggestion was to make a new account...

Its 2012 Microsoft ffs.

oatmeal

Banned

Fuck

My live just lapsed because I don't have a Canadian credit card and live in the USA now (have for four years). Halo is coming out and I want to get it at launch.

Fuck.

ghostmind

OH MY GOD FINALLY

I'm going to wait a few months and let them hopefully streamline the process a bit, but my long international nightmare could finally be over. Here is to hoping that when I pick up my NextBox this will all be resolved.

Mista Koo

And I just spent 1600 MSP to get my name to the gamertag with the right region :(

On other hand they've recently launched Live here in Saudi Arabia so that might be useful.

Fuck

My live just lapsed because I don't have a Canadian credit card and live in the USA now (have for four years). Halo is coming out and I want to get it at launch.

Fuck.
You can use PayPal from Xbox.com, tried it to add points and it worked.

MCD

Update: Microsoft is testing streamlined region porting for Xbox Live

The service is currently in pilot and some lucky users (our tipster was based in Germany) are already being moved to the program. We have attached several screenshots of the new tool that will be going live shortly, no timeline given, but know that the old way will soon be an item of the past.

As it stands right now in the pilot program, you can only move your account using the tool once every three months. When you do change regions, your gamer tag, achievements, Microsoft points, and any time left on your Gold subscription will be moved.

While many items will port to other regions, not all of your content and settings will be transferable. Some services which are region locked, such as IPTV services, may not be ported. Xbox Music subscriptions will also not make the cut and any other regional items including promotional material may not be moved as well.

The porting worked quickly and required just a few clicks by the end users. First reports of the new tool are positive and should help all of you out there quickly change regions without any headaches.

So there you have it, Microsoft is about to streamline one of the most annoying issues with Xbox Live which should put a smile on the faces of many individuals who are currently region locked to a location where they no longer reside.

gdMTR.png

2qsea.png

AGLaf.png

oKgY7.png

http://www.neowin.net/news/confirmed-microsoft-is-testing-streamlined-region-porting-for-xbox-live

Now they just need to add Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 full list of supported countries to the pathetic list supported by Xbox and we will have a winner.

I think i still dont live in a fully supported region (UAE) MS has a fucking office here but i still have to sign up to Australia.....

Even if i can move, my credit card is NEVER going on XBL again.

Grinchy

Banned
It never ceases to amaze me how shitty XBL is to deal with, yet it still manages to be the market leader.

My experience with XBL accounts was a nightmare compared to (most) PC games.

It's amazing how you can get the masses to pay extra for something and then they go on believing they have the best of the best just because they're paying for it.

Just look at all the overpriced laptops Apple sells.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I come into this thread to see what it's all about and I see Wario64 has seemingly been banned fo' real. What is this world coming to?

Top Bottom