• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Talon

Had a nice pale ale while watching the Falcons demolish the Cards Sunday afternoon.

Goose Island Green Line.
thumb_600.jpg

The night before, we went to a brewpub in Logan Square (Chicago) called Revolution Brewing. Wonderful place; if you love beer and live in Chicago, you really need to head out here. They have at least 8 of their own brews there on tap (if not more) and a huge beer menu on the side. There's damn good cider for that crowd as well. Had a really good porter there called the Eugene, and a smoother Pale Ale called the Eugene (for Eugene V. Debs. It's Logan Square, what do you expect?).

Here's a picture of their taps:
2h8bhjp.jpg

Clydefrog

HiResDes said:
Top 25 Beers According to BeerAdvocate

2. Pliny The Elder
American Double / Imperial IPA / 8.00% ABV
Russian River Brewing Company A+ / 4.5 1629

7. Founders Breakfast Stout
American Double / Imperial Stout / 8.30% ABV
Founders Brewing Company A / 4.38 1623

8. Bell's HopSlam Ale
American Double / Imperial IPA / 10.00% ABV
Bell's Brewery, Inc. A / 4.38 1753

12. Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Russian Imperial Stout / 10.50% ABV
Stone Brewing Co. A / 4.36 1909

13. AleSmith Speedway Stout
American Double / Imperial Stout / 12.00% ABV
AleSmith Brewing Company A / 4.36 857

14. Supplication
American Wild Ale / 7.00% ABV
Russian River Brewing Company A / 4.36 635

24. Tröegs Nugget Nectar
American Amber / Red Ale / 7.50% ABV
Tröegs Brewing Company A / 4.31 1507

That list makes me feel special. I've had the ones I've left in the quote. I don't know what Stone RIS is doing on the list... it's nowhere near my Top 25 (though it is delicious).

Pliny is my favorite beer. I've yet to visit the brewery. Usually anything Dogfish Head pumps out is fantastic as well.

I visited Stone, Alesmith, Green Flash, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, and Lightning in one day. Actually, we went to Stone twice that day :D I love San Diego.

Luthair

Clydefrog said:
That list makes me feel special. I've had the ones I've left in the quote. I don't know what Stone RIS is doing on the list... it's nowhere near my Top 25 (though it is delicious).

Pliny is my favorite beer. I've yet to visit the brewery. Usually anything Dogfish Head pumps out is fantastic as well.

I visited Stone, Alesmith, Green Flash, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, and Lightning in one day. Actually, we went to Stone twice that day :D I love San Diego.
I love going to the Stone Brewery! I eat there often. Amazing place.

HappyBivouac said:
I have not. Wasn't that a one-time thing or am I crazy? As mentioned above I'm from Iowa where distribution sucks. We only get a few beers from DFH. I actually had to go to NYC to try the Palo Santo Marron.

It's not one time- just seasonal, it seems to appear late spring to early summer. I've seen it the past 2 years. It comes in 4-packs and is similarly prices to the Palo Santo, so I'd guess it's similar in rarity too.

BTW, Pacific NW GAF: I am so envious of your beer culture. I just went up to Seattle for PAX, then went to Portland afterward to hang out and visit a friend. The number of breweries, and how inexpensive fantastic beer was, really blew me away. I mean, we have some fantastic craft breweries here in Chicago, but there are just a handful of them for the whole city.

Talon

I like Blue Moon as a warm weather beer, but there are a lot of witbiers out there that blow it out of the water. A great introductory beer, though.

If you like Blue Moon, look out for a Three Floyds Gumball Head. Absolutely delicious and refreshing.

Zyzyxxz

I like beer but I can't stand stouts and other extremely heavy beers.

I recently tried the Hitachino red rice ale and I thought it was pretty disappointing for such a premium per bottle.

Big-E

Great idea to have a dedicated thread for beer. I think we have had numerous beer threads but this thread will help. I am leaving to work in China for about a year so I might post some pics of some Chinese beer I find there.

Zyzyxxz said:
I like beer but I can't stand stouts and other extremely heavy beers.

I recently tried the Hitachino red rice ale and I thought it was pretty disappointing for such a premium per bottle.

So what beer do you like, then? If you don't mind me asking.

SalsaShark said:

Well that's one way to waste all your money.

HiResDes

Talon- said:
I like Blue Moon as a warm weather beer, but there are a lot of witbiers out there that blow it out of the water. A great introductory beer, though.

If you like Blue Moon, look out for a Three Floyds Gumball Head. Absolutely delicious and refreshing.
Everything Three Floyds makes is golden. The Vanilla Bean Dark Lord is one of the most delicious beers in the world. The only problem is that it's impossible to get it seems unless you go to Indiana.

Big-E said:
Great idea to have a dedicated thread for beer. I think we have had numerous beer threads but this thread will help. I am leaving to work in China for about a year so I might post some pics of some Chinese beer I find there.

If you're anything of a beer enthusiast, prepare to be depressed as fuck. All you see anywhere is this "Snow" stuff that is like your average American Macro Lager but even worse, in clear bottles that are often left out in the sun to skunk, and often drank completely warm.

I love China and its food and culture, but as a beer geek it makes me saaad.

HiResDes said:
Everything Three Floyds makes is golden. The Vanilla Bean Dark Lord is one of the most delicious beers in the world. The only problem is that it's impossible to get it seems unless you go to Indiana.

Gumballhead is my favorite summer beer. That stuff is so refreshing and delicious. Not sure how widely distributed it is, but it should be available anywhere the weather gets hot.

Luthair

Clydefrog said:
The beer mac 'n cheese.... the Ruination soup... oh my god. I am due for a visit.
OMG the mac is like godly! I go there, get that, get the shiztel and I get the 5 buck samples of the beers, and just snack on that for a while lol.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Big-E said:

I used to work at a "Chinese"* restaurant and I loved the Tsingtao when I tried it.

OefYc.gif

Tiger is really good too. I'm sure it will be available there as well.

* What do you actually call the restaurants if they're not just Chinese? Seems like the wrong term to use, since they have Thai and some other foods as well.

I recently tried sam adams black lager and really enjoyed it, it was in the brew masters 6-pack. I tried the Irish Red and didnt like it at all, I couldnt even make myself finish it all. Have yet to try other Sam Adam, will have to give octoberfest a shot.

Zyzyxxz

HappyBivouac said:
So what beer do you like, then? If you don't mind me asking.

I do actually like Tsingtao, might be the Asian in me.

I stick to lighter beers, especially the stuff that comes out of the Eagle Rock Brewery here in SoCal, but its pretty much a local only thing.

IIRC the Red Rice Ale is a pretty full-flavored, somewhat stronger Belgian style ale brewed with red rice. If you only really like lighter beers and have the mentality that that's what you like, then what did you expect from that kind of beer?

People don't pay for high priced bottles just to get the same pale lager taste in a fancier more expensive bottle. Well, most don't anyway.

Sorry, don't mean to be a douche, but just by the way you describe you tastes it sounds like you are just one more case of: "well I only like lighter beers, but I'll try this 'Imperial Stout' stuff even though I won't like it." And then of course you don't like it, because you haven't even mentally prepared yourself for what it takes to explore and appreciate bold and unfamiliar flavors.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
chaostrophy said:
It's not one time- just seasonal, it seems to appear late spring to early summer. I've seen it the past 2 years. It comes in 4-packs and is similarly prices to the Palo Santo, so I'd guess it's similar in rarity too.

BTW, Pacific NW GAF: I am so envious of your beer culture. I just went up to Seattle for PAX, then went to Portland afterward to hang out and visit a friend. The number of breweries, and how inexpensive fantastic beer was, really blew me away. I mean, we have some fantastic craft breweries here in Chicago, but there are just a handful of them for the whole city.

Yeah the Pacific NW is pretty nice for microbrews and shops that carry lots of imports and microbrews. I live in Seattle, but I think Portland Oregon has like the most local breweries of any city in the world or something.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:

Ugh I can't stand Corona. I'm 25 and am just now getting into the beer scene. Before that, all of my friends tried to get me to drink shit like Budweiser, Corona, Miller, Pabst, etc... and I just couldn't ever get myself to like any of it. Shit is terrible in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Oktoberfest. I hope Heaven is like this.

Look at the head on that beer, holy fuck. I read that it's good to have that kind of head on it? Maybe it's just a preference?

The head probably dies down by the time it gets to the person who will drink it.

Either way, those are 1 liter mugs... that's a lot of beer!

Usually I'd say no more than an inch, inch and a half of head is desirable. Too much and you have a hard time getting down to the actual drinkable stuff. Too little though and the beer looks flat and boring.

Next time you have a nice IPA pour it as vigorously as you can and see what kind of head you can get. :lol

clav

There is no such thing as good Asian beer.

All lite beers suck. Their success has been based on advertising branding.

Anyway, this thread makes me want to grab an ice cold bottle of Hefeweizen.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I really tried Sam Adams for the first time a couple weeks ago at a party. Fuck that shit was terrible! I will never drink that again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Entropia said:
I really tried Sam Adams for the first time a couple weeks ago at a party. Fuck that shit was terrible! I will never drink that again.

I enjoy their Cream Stout, but I can't really get behind anything else they make.

clav

Zefah said:
I enjoy their Cream Stout, but I can't really get behind anything else they make.
I don't like Sam Adams special brews. The original is tolerable, but I don't find it special compared to Goose Island 312's brews.

Random Fact: Blue Moon is produced by Coors.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Blue Moon is also shit.

Get a good Wit and call it a day and stop drinking that overtly fruity junk.

Zinga

Banned
Travelling both the West and East Coast of America, it was hard to find a great US beer. I tried all the big brands, and I also asked locals at the bar and on the train, and still couldn't find one!

There were many good beers, just no 'great' ones, so the next time I find myself in America I will enlist the help of US BeerGAF to try again!

Zeke

claviertekky said:
I don't like Sam Adams special brews. The original is tolerable, but I don't find it special compared to Goose Island 312's brews.

Random Fact: Blue Moon is produced by Coors.
I tried Killian's Irish Red once and that first beer I kept thinking taste really similar to Coors I glanced over the bottle and ta da owned by Coors.

McNei1y

I turned 21 a month and a half ago so I am starting to buy different beers that I haven't tried before.

What I have and love:

Miller Lite
Yuengling
Samuel Adams

Anyone recommend me some good beer? I'll look around in the thread for tastes.

Neckbeard

McNei1y said:
I turned 21 a month and a half ago so I am starting to buy different beers that I haven't tried before.

What I have and love:

Miller Lite
Yuengling
Samuel Adams

Anyone recommend me some good beer? I'll look around in the thread for tastes.

21=Assuming U.S.

What region are you in?

Beer is best when paired with good food... What types of food do you like?

McNei1y

Neckbeard said:
21=Assuming U.S.

What region are you in?

Beer is best when paired with good food... What types of food do you like?

Yeah, US.

I'm on the east coast, mid atlantic. To be specific, Maryland. Crabs are awesome but the season is dwindling thanks to the weather.

I enjoy pretty much everything but if I had to choose: Chicken and Mashed Potatoes is my favorite meal.

Anything that incorporates Onions and Peppers is also good in my book (sauce, steak and cheeses, etc etc).

Top Bottom