• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker available for use in Project Spark

The Flash

Banned
According to him he must not be that hateful of MS anymore...
gyj_bor.jpg

Exactly. Seems like he only had problems with specific people at MS.

Seavor was willing to do one line of dialogue for content that was suggested by a Twitter fan.

This doesn't really say much at all.

MwTpNMz.gif

Salty Hippo

you know, this could be an experiment to test waters for a new conker.

If people buy Spark and Conker gets a lot of use, you can bet your ass that Microsoft will make a new one.

Yeah, too bad Spark's audience is most likely not the people who know and love Conker. Watch the skin pack get very little few downloads and MS going to think "well, we knew this franchise was worthless, this confirms it".

SegaShack

Seavor was willing to do one line of dialogue for content that was suggested by a Twitter fan.

This doesn't really say much at all.

Nope, he will voice the character in project spark (and most likely other characters included in the Conker pack), more than just one line of dialogue for a trailer.

NotLiquid

Nope, he will voice the character in project spark (and most likely other characters included in the Conker pack), more than just one line of dialogue for a trailer.

Then I stand corrected.

I still think it's highly unlikely for him to return, but we'll see.

This would be more exciting if instead of just Conker they did a Rare legacy pack that came with Banjo, Kameo etc. As it stands, this just feels like lazy fan service.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't have any personal connection to Conker, but they did y'all wrong with that bait-and-switch.

Goddamn.

MAtgS

Rare just released Kinect Sports whatevernumber, it wasn't like they were gonna have a new game to show in just a month's development. At least this somewhat buys them time.

Source

I was so excited when I saw Conker on the screen. Then realized it was just for Project Spark and was disappointed. But after the Rare tweet, and the fact he's even in the game and voiced by Seavor, I am hopeful for a new Conker's game in the future. I'm now thinking it's their next big original Xbox IP to bring back.

RK128

"No new game in 10 years. Guess we have to make out own" - Conker

....Great way to put it Conker, great way to put it X(. At least Project Spark looks like it has lots of potential in regards to game making, so maybe we CAN make our own Conker game :D..... Still sad Rare refuses to make another one though :l.

It does say something that Chris is voicing Conker for this; he must not be so pissed at Microsoft anymore like he was in the past (though I am surprised by this; he was going to make a very interesting new IP for the 360 but felt pushed to work on the at the time 'new' Perfect Dark Sequel....only for that to be canned as well :l).

dorkimoe

Seriously. I saw Conker appear in the Project Spark trailer, and DIRECTLY ADDRESS the fact that he hasn't been in a game in 10 years. Then he just leaves it up to players in Project Spark to make him. That felt like a slap in the face

my guess is they are working on one. I bet after the flop of kinect sports rivals and all the rare stuff that went on and now spencer being in charge, I bet they decided to make one and obviously they arent going to show anything yet because its probably like a few months into development so they just used this as a "we heard you"

takoyaki

It was disappointing. But then again, it's like F-Zero in Nintendoland; If they aren't doing anything else with the franchise, then why not I guess...

Salty Hippo

Geez dude. That's a bit much, its just a game. No need to insult someone over it.

I can't help but to think Spencer is a bitter little man when it comes to Rare and its IP. Not only him, all of Microsoft. They must really have some kind of beef with the studio for the fact that they paid $400m and got very little back. Spencer probably felt a little bit of pleasure watching his trick live on the screen.

Seriously though, you don't just do something like that thinking fans will be pleased. Not even Microsoft is this out of touch with their consumers. They deserve all the backlash they can get.

RK128

I can't help but to think Spencer is a bitter little man when it comes to Rare and its IP. Not only him, all of Microsoft. They must really have some kind of beef with the studio for the fact that they paid $400m and got very little back. Spencer probably felt a little bit of pleasure watching his trick live on the screen.

Seriously though, you don't just do something like that thinking fans will be pleased. Not even Microsoft is this out of touch with their consumers. They deserve all the backlash they can get.

Well, if they expected more out of Rare, then they should of let them DO ANYTHING to begin with X(; tons and tons of prototypes were in production at Rare during the Xbox/360 days ranging from really promising too just very grand (they were even considering working on a MMO :O!) but NOPE. Every. single. TIME they made any prototype, it got canned.

So how could Microsoft be pissed a Rare for not doing much, when they themselves prevented Rare from doing ANYTHING for them X(....

....I mean, the games Rare DID make for Microsoft was good; outside of GbB, every game they made for Microsoft ranged from average too great....so, why only let them make Kinect games?

....At least Microsoft isn't afraid to loan out Rare IP to other companies, as we saw with Killer Instinct 2013's great quality and now Project Spark having Conker (and hopefully Banjo, Viva Pinata, and other Rare IP land here; could finally 'make' games with them then :l), so at least the IP isn't fully dead yet...

Kriken

I felt like the acknowledgement that Conker hasn't had a game in 10 years hurt more than anything. But on that same token, at least they're giving some acknowledgement that he exists, so something's better than nothing I guess :/
Still stings

Majanew

Banned
This actually pissed me off. MS still have no fucking clue. Let someone else have your IP's that you don't give a fuck about.

Neo Child

Banned
in fairness... you can now make a Conker game yourself?

like, i know its not the same, but conker only ever had 2 games. some mehhh-at-best collectathon for gbc and a pretty decent n64 platformer.

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
Hey All,

Apologies for not dropping by earlier. I'm the community manager on Team Dakota, the creators of Project Spark. Things have been pretty busy this morning, but wanted to let you know we've been following this thread and others.

You guys want Conker? Make it yourselves!

That's a completely understandable way to look at it. And it makes sense that anyone who was eagerly hoping to hear the announcement of a new Conker game (and there's many of you, clearly) would be at least somewhat let down.

For what it's worth, I want to give you Team Dakota's perspective. Not that it will (or should) change your mind, but so you at least have a little insight on how we're looking at it.

We love games. Old games, new games, classic games. Conker is something many of us grew up with. We love the heck out of the crazy little guy and we want to hang out with him as much as you guys do, possibly more.

Project Spark is a game that is designed to empower gamers by giving them the tools to make any kind of game they want. It's about letting you make your own rules, instead of just following the rules someone else decided to impose on you regarding how you want to play and experience your games.

Project Spark is a free digital download that anyone can play on Xbox One and Windows 8, the beta version is available right now. We're hoping to support this model is by creating the equivalent of "skins" in the form of DLC packs that provide different assets and visuals to allow creators added flexibility in creating whatever their hearts desire.

This is a pretty good overall model, since it requires us to only focus on the type of DLC we know our community will find valuable. We're a small team with limited resources, so we have to be very selective in what we spend our time creating. Conker has such a passionate and diehard following he was the clear first choice for us.

We're still working out the details of exactly how and when Conker will be available in Project Spark. At the moment, the team is heads down finishing up our Sci-Fi themed, "Galaxies," our multi-chapter adventure Champions Quest, and our multiplayer over Xbox Live feature.

We'll be releasing more details on our plans for Conker in the future. Please know that we love and respect Conker and his (in)famous history. We're huge fans of everyone at Rare and we're a very community-driven team that is always looking for your ideas and feedback. Please let us know your thoughts on what you'd consider the best and most respectful way for us to honor Conker in Project Spark.

One final note on Conker’s line in our trailer. It was important to us to be as true and genuine to Conker as possible. Not only was it important to get Conker’s voice right, it was equally important to let Conker be Conker. He’s not one to pull any punches, and it wouldn’t have made sense for him to gloss over the fact he hasn’t had a game in almost a decade. We were poking fun at ourselves, certainly not the dedicated Conker fans.

Thanks!
Mike Lescault
Community Manager
Team Dakota

This felt like so much of a troll that I have to believe it's actually a very preliminary hint of a Conker game coming down the road. Because I don't think MS would be that fucked up.

Leflus

It was a bittersweet announcement for me. I've wanted content like this announced for Project Spark for a long time, so I was happy that it finally happened.
Conker being in Project Spark opens up a lot of doors for the game(other Rare IPs, Twisted Pixel IPs etc.), so I'm eager to see where Team Dakota goes next.

That said, I'm disappointed that we didn't even get an HD re-release of Conker: Live & Reloaded.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I feel like this is just to point out that MS hasn't forgotten about Conker. We'll see another one. I feel it.

Footos22

I was off my chair, super excited when he jumped on screen. then it went from that to feeling like ms just took my cock out my pants and slapped it across my face.

Fuck you MS :(
Instead of a new conker you are remaking a game no one outside of the us gives two shits about.

Salty Hippo

Well, if they expected more out of Rare, then they should of let them DO ANYTHING to begin with X(; tons and tons of prototypes were in production at Rare during the Xbox/360 days ranging from really promising too just very grand (they were even considering working on a MMO :O!) but NOPE. Every. single. TIME they made any prototype, it got canned.

So how could Microsoft be pissed a Rare for not doing much, when they themselves prevented Rare from doing ANYTHING for them X(....

....I mean, the games Rare DID make for Microsoft was good; outside of GbB, every game they made for Microsoft ranged from average too great....so, why only let them make Kinect games?

....At least Microsoft isn't afraid to loan out Rare IP to other companies, as we saw with Killer Instinct 2013's great quality and now Project Spark having Conker (and hopefully Banjo, Viva Pinata, and other Rare IP land here; could finally 'make' games with them then :l), so at least the IP isn't fully dead yet...

They completely destroyed the studio's internal culture and expected them to pump out 2 AAA titles a year like in the N64 days. They rushed PDZ and Kameo, which were clearly unifinished, to meet the 360 launch and expected those games to be timeless classics.

Didn't happen, so they greenlighted a niche game like Viva Pinata and invested almost 0 dollars in marketing for it, while spending millions to promote Gears, an IP that wasn't even theirs at the time. The game failed, so they became even more angry and fucked up Banjo expecting it to reach Minecraft levels of success, otherwise BUST! Didn't happen, and by then they were so filled with rage that they decided to turn the studio into a Kinect shovelware machine. Everything was cool then. No more tears, only dreams and $$$. But now that KS stopped selling they're probably bitter again. Does it matter that it was their own decision to invest in Kinect, a piece of hardware that no one wanted anymore? Nope.

Purchasing Rare was just a weird decision by Microsoft, they clearly have no vision for the company and don't know how to utilize their valuable IPs. I loved Nuts & Bolts, but that's really it after their acquisition of the company.

Rubius

In the arms of an angel...
Man. I went from hype to fucking disappointed in 2.5 sec. Just make a goddamn Conker game. Making people have to build your game is really really cheap.
Why would you say "A old character is coming baaaaaacckkkk" And slap me in the face with "Conker is a model you can use in Spark! You happy ? We good?"

It would be like Valve saying "Gordon Freeman is coming back... AS A SKIN IN DOTA 2!"

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Not cool Microsoft that was uncalled for...
I'm wondering if that's Chris Seavor doing the voice work or not but I have my doubts since he made it very clear in his Youtube play through of Conker's Bad Fur Day Director's Commentary how much he dislikes Microsoft.

The Flash

Banned
Not cool Microsoft that was uncalled for...
I'm wondering if that's Chris Seavor doing the voice work or not but I have my doubts since he made it very clear in his Youtube play through of Conker's Bad Fur Day how much he dislikes Microsoft.

It is. He's voicing Conker for the Project Spark add-on.

Hey All,

Apologies for not dropping by earlier. I'm the community manager on Team Dakota, the creators of Project Spark. Things have been pretty busy this morning, but wanted to let you know we've been following this thread and others.

That's a completely understandable way to look at it. And it makes sense that anyone who was eagerly hoping to hear the announcement of a new Conker game (and there's many of you, clearly) would be at least somewhat let down.

For what it's worth, I want to give you Team Dakota's perspective. Not that it will (or should) change your mind, but so you at least have a little insight on how we're looking at it.

We love games. Old games, new games, classic games. Conker is something many of us grew up with. We love the heck out of the crazy little guy and we want to hang out with him as much as you guys do, possibly more.

Project Spark is a game that is designed to empower gamers by giving them the tools to make any kind of game they want. It's about letting you make your own rules, instead of just following the rules someone else decided to impose on you regarding how you want to play and experience your games.

Project Spark is a free digital download that anyone can play on Xbox One and Windows 8, the beta version is available right now. We're hoping to support this model is by creating the equivalent of "skins" in the form of DLC packs that provide different assets and visuals to allow creators added flexibility in creating whatever their hearts desire.

This is a pretty good overall model, since it requires us to only focus on the type of DLC we know our community will find valuable. We're a small team with limited resources, so we have to be very selective in what we spend our time creating. Conker has such a passionate and diehard following he was the clear first choice for us.

We're still working out the details of exactly how and when Conker will be available in Project Spark. At the moment, the team is heads down finishing up our Sci-Fi themed, "Galaxies," our multi-chapter adventure Champions Quest, and our multiplayer over Xbox Live feature.

We'll be releasing more details on our plans for Conker in the future. Please know that we love and respect Conker and his (in)famous history. We're huge fans of everyone at Rare and we're a very community-driven team that is always looking for your ideas and feedback. Please let us know your thoughts on what you'd consider the best and most respectful way for us to honor Conker in Project Spark.

One final note on Conker’s line in our trailer. It was important to us to be as true and genuine to Conker as possible. Not only was it important to get Conker’s voice right, it was equally important to let Conker be Conker. He’s not one to pull any punches, and it wouldn’t have made sense for him to gloss over the fact he hasn’t had a game in almost a decade. We were poking fun at ourselves, certainly not the dedicated Conker fans.

Thanks!
Mike Lescault
Community Manager
Team Dakota

Seems fair enough. I don't get the salt over this.You guys are fans of a property the company owns and wanted to use it.
Kudos to all of you at Team Dakota and good luck. Project Spark is really fun to use (I'm on Win8 beta)

Doffen

Project Spark is a great service and giving the PS community the opportunity to make their own games with Microsoft characters are a great new feature.

I'm with you guys that I want another full AAAA Conker from Rare (or whoever), but this is pretty cool. Check out Project Spark for yourself before you put it down :)

Top Bottom