• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

SamuraiX-

Title: PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
Developer: Bluehole, Inc.
Platform: PC/Steam | (Xbox One - Winter 2017 / PlayStation 4 - 2018)
Price: $29.99 USD (Early Access)
Release Date: March 23, 2017 (Early Access) | Q4 2017 (Full Release)
Engine: Unreal Engine 4

About The Game said:
PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS is a last-man-standing tactical shooter being developed with community feedback. Starting with nothing, players must fight to locate weapons and supplies in a battle to be the lone survivor. Players will be dispersed across a massive 8x8 km island and steadily forced into a shrinking centralized area until only one is left alive.

Brought to by the creator of the Arma 2 & 3 Battle Royale mod and H1Z1: King of the Kill, Brendan “PLAYERUNKNOWN” Greene has been an active pioneer of the battle royale genre for the past few years. In March 2016, after accepting the offer of Creative Director at Bluehole Inc., known for their MMORPG title TERA, Greene relocated to the team's studio in Seoul, South Korea with the goal of creating the most diverse and robust battle royale experience to date.

3c3cEai.png

Early Access Update Schedule
  • Daily -- Server performance improvements
  • Weekly -- Bug fixes & client performance and stability fixes Critical bug fixes and improvements to anti-cheat system [Updated on May 16th]
  • Monthly -- New content/features and gameplay balancing Client & server performance improvements and new content [Updated on May 16th]
Client Optimization Schedule

[+] Initial Performance Improvements
  • Reduce the overload on the CPU and allow GPU to perform to its full capability (stable frame rates in high-density areas and higher frame rates across all graphics options) [ETA: April 14th - Implemented on April 20th]
[+] Further Performance Improvements
  • Step 1: Optimizing art assets (decreasing LOD vertex for buildings seen at long distances and decrease total amount of vertex by adjusting LOD on terrains) [ETA: April 7th - Note: rolled back due to memory crash errors - Stable implementation on April 20th]
  • Step 2: Improve rendering performance of terrain and ocean shader (ETA: TBD)
  • Step 3: Decrease the overload on the CPU by rearranging wall near buildings (ETA: TBD)
  • Step 4: Decrease the usage rate of the video memory (ETA: TBD)

ucl5S7P.png

Current Features
  • Currently supports up to a maximum of 100 players per round
  • Play modes include solos, duos, and squads (up to 4 player teams)
  • An 8x8 km island map designed with diverse topography, biomes, and locales (e.g. mountains, hills, forests; a lake, river, swamp, logging area, flooded town, school, hospital, quarry, shooting range, castle ruins, power plant, underground bunker, and military airbase)
  • Destructible environmental assets, currently limited to wooden doors and fences
  • Functional spectator camera after death in team game modes with support for third-person, first-person, and aim-down-sights viewing angles
  • Occasional rainy weather for the entirety of a round (currently 10% chance of occurrence)
  • Cosmetic item loot crates acquirable both through microtransactions and using in-game credits that're rewarded based on your performance in each round along with additional credits provided for item trade-ins
  • Leaderboards and ELO based ranking system driven by placement matches and numbers of kills attained in each match.
  • Detailed breakdown of player statistics accessible through main menu.
  • Varying movement speed based on currently equipped weapon and aiming mode
  • Dynamic gunplay with single, burst, and auto fire modes, and the ability to shoot from the hip, aim down sights in third person, and aim down sights in first person
  • Variety of melee weapons, pistols, shotguns, sub-machine guns, light machine guns, assault rifles, and sniper rifles available as loot all across the island
  • Full weapon customization options with gun mods including sights/scopes, stocks, magazines, compensators, and suppressors
  • Three tier system of armor and helmets for damage mitigation and backpacks for increased inventory space
  • Along with the typical set of healing items, stimulant consumables can also be found that increase health regeneration and running speed
  • A complete heads-up display that includes a detailed minimap and compass
  • A set of land vehicles to choose from including a buggy, jeep, and a truck, as well as a speedboat to traverse through the water around the island

Still To Come
  • Community modding tools
  • Custom servers/game modes
  • Support for 60Hz update/tickrate servers
  • 2D & 3D match replays, allowing for analyzing player movement patterns and viewing recorded matches through a spectator camera system
  • A second map to play on
  • Additional vehicles, including a motorbike and military transport truck
  • Weapons and vehicles skins
  • Death camera showing the perspective of your killer
  • Vaulting system similar to Battlefield games to supplement the to-be-improved jumping mechanics
  • Bullet penetration mechanics and further building destructibility
  • More options for melee combat, including a melee takedown
  • More maneuverability options, including combat dives/rolls

n10WEu7.png

MeDDjtU.png

How long will Early Access last? When can we expect the full game to be released?

Six months until full release has been the ETA since the decision to enter Early Access was first announced. This has been emphasized as a very strict date that the developers will be working diligently to meet. Since the end of closed alpha testing, it was never intended for the game to enter Early Access at all but the developers thought it would be more advantageous compared to an open beta for optimizing and polishing the game after all features have been implemented.

Are there plans for a console port?

Bluehole will begin working on a port for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after the PC version has been finalized.

Ugh, another Early Access open world survival game? Another rip off of H1Z1: King of the Kill?

This isn't a survival/crafting game. This is a battle royale game – an emerging genre that has been taking the online shooter community by storm over the past few years. BATTLEGROUNDS is also not a rip-off of KotK. Brendan Greene, the game's Creative Director, is the creator of the pioneering Arma 2 & 3 Battle Royale mods and co-developer of the King of the Kill battle royale mode for H1Z1. He has been assertive about this being a unique battle royale experience with its own style, a balanced hybrid of the hardcore realism showcased in Arma BR and the arcade pace of KotK.

What can I do about the server-side rubberbanding, desync, and input delay issues I'm experiencing?

Bluehole is hard at work improving server performance and stability on a daily basis. You can help them with this process by reporting your match's Session ID number located at the bottom of your in-game HUD and specifics about the issues you're experiencing on their official forum.

http://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/forum/10-bug-reports/

Why is it so difficult to discern where I'm being shot from when I hear bullets flying near me?

Marek, the game's Lead Weapon/Gunplay Designer, explained some of the nuances of PUBG's positional sound design.

Gunshot Sound
  • Each gunshot sound you hear in the game has a propagation delay based on the distance between the source and the listener.
  • The propagation velocity is 340m/s so if a pistol is shot 340m away from the listener, he will see the muzzle flash first and hear the gunshot after 1 second.
  • If a gunshot is fired from indoors or there is no direct or approximate line of sight (obstructed), a reverberation effect and low-pass filter are applied to the sound effect.
Bullet Crack/Whizz Effect
  • An audible bullet crack effect created from a bullet bow shockwave is generated when a supersonic projectile passes in close proximity to the listener. The effect can be heard in the closest point on bullet trajectory line. Basically, the sound source is always perpendicular to the trajectory line, so if you hear a bullet crack only in your left or right headphone, you know that the shooter is either directly in front of you or behind you.
    1diA5lH.jpg
  • Most of our weapons are supersonic (faster than the speed of sound). This means that you will hear the crack/whizz before you hear the actual gunshot. In a scenario where you see a shooter 1000m away, using an AWM (>900m/s muzzle velocity) the events will occur in such order:
    1. You see the muzzle flash.
    2. After ~1 second you'll hear the crack/whizz (assuming no air drag).
    3. After ~3 seconds you'll hear the gunshot.
  • Bullets passing close to the player will generate a crack sound while the ones passing further away will only generate whizz effect.
  • We blend between different sound samples based on distance (the maximum distance and attenuation characteristic is also affected by suppressor attachment). Gunshot sounds within close proximity are louder and clearer than the distant ones.
In the current public build, all bullets generate a sound crack effect. We've changed this mechanic by adding a velocity check, so bullets travelling slower than speed of sound will not generate the crack effect but just whizz.
[/LIST]

wgsUPom.png

PUBG GAF Discord Server (Quote to reveal) [Current Members: +100]

Can't wait to try it out next week. The Arma 3 mod is thrilling as hell and it's exciting to see the concept driving an entire standalone game without any of the original games baggage.

What's nuts is that they started development only 8 months ago. I can't imagine how good this game will be a year from now given the footage.

213372bu

Banned
From watching streams, It looks really buggy and glitchy ie:every other game/mod out there that's BR.

I'd stay away.
Anyone got impressions? I've been wanting to jump into this genre but h1z1 seemed too jank

It's H1Z1 BR with a better idea for spawns, more bugs, and a lot less mechanical polish.

Magwik

Banned
From watching streams, It looks really buggy and glitchy ie:every other game/mod out there that's BR.

I'd stay away.

It's H1Z1 BR with a better idea for spawns, more bugs, and a lot less mechanical polish.

H1Z1 has mechanical polish?
lolwot

Anyone got impressions? I've been wanting to jump into this genre but h1z1 seemed too jank

Been in closed beta these past few weekends and it's great. My only major gripe is the optimization. I have i5 4690k/970 and get roughly 30 fps on medium with occasional stuttering. I assume they'll work on this as it is a primary issue with the game, just hope they do it sooner rather than later. All of the guns feel great though, and I LOVE the idea of being able to pick up scopes/grips, etc. and apply them to your gun while on the run. Makes it really intense.

I'd stay away.

Uh....yeah, from what I've seen saying it has more bugs than H1Z1 is laughable, insanity really. H1z1 is just about as buggy as it gets. Even Arma friggin 3, the king of jank manages to be more consistent than h1z1.

It's an early access game only 8 months into development, H1z1 has made almost zero improvement since the game even came out.

packy34

I'd stay away.

Ummm....

I've put 50+ hours into the PUBG beta.

It blows H1Z1 away in almost every regard. Performance probably isn't as good yet, but it isn't anywhere close to unplayable. I honestly have trouble going back to play rounds in KOTK after experiencing PUBG. The quality difference, at least in terms of actual gameplay, is staggering.

Then this is the game for you!

I couldn't do H1 for the same reason and I bought it. This game is nearly perfect in that it doesn't waste your time and feel unpolished.

Pachimari

I had a better experience with H1Z1 playing that back in the day than I had with the Battlegrounds beta that turned me off buying the game for now. I will buy it later down the road when it has been optimized.

Damn, I didn't get a beta key. :(

Are there any still floating around out there? I have all of today off, I wish I would have known about it sooner.

FPS is all over the place for me no matter the settings it seems. Sometimes I get up over 60 other times I'm in the 20s and 30s. Seems mostly in the 40s though. 1060 6gb. Anyone else fps issues?

Strakt

I really need to check this game out

wait? Horizon isn't even in the top 20?

It was for the first week or two, but its a single player game, dont expect it to stay much longer.. reason why zeldas on there is because theres more things to do and because its zelda. Most people that did horizon did the story and moved on.

SamuraiX-

If people want to post their Steam IDs/profiles, I can create a listing in the OP later of GAFers who will be playing during early access.

Love to see that the game is bombing on Twitch. Looks like Greene is stoked: https://twitter.com/BattleRoyaleMod/status/842855236356263938

Also, it sounds like the red zones and door destruction have been removed for the duration of the closed beta as they were causing server instability. Hope they'll find a way to implement the feature back in without any server-side issues since they were planning to add even more building destruction and bullet penetration eventually.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Red zone existed and doors were already destructible previously so not sure what's up there but it is what it is 🙃

abracadaver

Please explain to me how a "battle royale" gametype works. Never played a game like this

I guess its last man standing and the last player wins. But how do you even find the other players on a gigantic map like this? Also what makes players actually wander around and expose themselves to snipers instead of just hiding in a bush?

Please explain to me how a "battle royale" gametype works. Never played a game like this

I guess its last man standing and the last player wins. But how do you even find the other players on a gigantic map like this? Also what makes players actually wander around and expose themselves to snipers instead of just hiding in a bush?

The play zone shrinks as the match goes on, forcing players to run into one another.

Tecnniqe

Banned

You start in a plane flying over the map, exit in a parachute and find a place to land of your liking. You then try to find as much guns and meds you can to stay alive and over time there is a energy circle that close in on a map location at random. It starts big and shrinks more and more as time goes on, forcing people to move. Eventually it'll get so small that unless anyone dies it'll cover the whole map and most HP is last to stand.

It's all about being the last survivor; or team during team games.

abracadaver

The play zone shrinks as the match goes on, forcing players to run into one another.

You start in a plane flying over the map, exit in a parachute and find a place to land of your liking. You then try to find as much guns and meds you can to stay alive and over time there is a energy circle that close in on a map location at random. It starts big and shrinks more and more as time goes on, forcing people to move. Eventually it'll get so small that unless anyone dies it'll cover the whole map and most HP is last to stand.

It's all about being the last survivor; or team during team games.

I see. Thanks

So how do you get in the beta? I don't see anything on the store page.

Also will this game be better than H1Z1: King of the Kill? What's different between them?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I see. Thanks

So how do you get in the beta? I don't see anything on the store page.

Also will this game be better than H1Z1: King of the Kill? What's different between them?
Currently those who preorder or received a key. On the 23rd it goes on sale on Steam which will be the place to get it.

If you look at the feedback so far and as someone who invested well over 70 hours by now, it's miles better already. They have a good roadmap ahead and things they want to do with good backing and a huge community following already and plan to be in EA no longer than 6 months.

Top Bottom