• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wichu

Hanzou said:
Question. I'm not at hOme so I can't test this. I ot a key from ign. Now I know I can plug that into impulse but can I put that key into origin or do I get a different key from impulse that I use?
You put it into Impulse, and get an Origin key from Impulse.

Angelus Errare said:
Jace is the man, hell he's one of my main influences in life.

I make a LOT of jokes about him, but I actually really like the guy. He's worked on some of my favourite games, it would be hard not to like him really.

Kerrby

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Why not show-off the version that looks the best?

pcmasterracero4v.png

Damn son, you just partially sold me on getting the PC version.

Now I don't know whether to get LotR: WitN or SR: TT. Ahh decisions!

Sportbilly said:
Was he involved with NOLF 2? Endlessly spawning Ninjas aside, that is some game, one of my all time faves.

Funny you should ask that because I have the NOLF2 box sitting on the couch next to with the manual in it. He's credited under "Special Thanks".

liezryou

Blizzard said:
*checks* ...is it really to discourage piracy for another week, or to get more console sales for another week, or are they working on PC issues? :X

From my understanding they switched from GFWL -> steamworks, which is why there is such a huge delay. Still makes me angry though >:[.

Turfster

liezryou said:
From my understanding they switched from GFWL -> steamworks, which is why there is such a huge delay. Still makes me angry though >:[.
STEAM site said:
Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows – Live
Looks like a weird mishmash at the moment. I hope they remove the GFWL requirements, but I think that's probably not going to happen.

jim-jam bongs said:
Funny you should ask that because I have the NOLF2 box sitting on the couch next to with the manual in it. He's credited under "Special Thanks".

Hang on- is that Kate in your avatar, and didn't you use to have a different 'pic' of her? Apologies for being slow and dumb, I don't usually pay much attention to them and tend to read a hell of a lot more than I post here.

liezryou

Turfster said:
Looks like a weird mishmash at the moment. I hope they remove the GFWL requirements, but I think that's probably not going to happen.

Well i mean i'm not part of the industry or anything but from what i have heard that's why it's been delayed.

Or at least that's what i keep telling myself to try to justify their 1 month+ delay which is making me really angry >.>.

PaulLFC

Kerrby said:
Damn son, you just partially sold me on getting the PC version.

Now I don't know whether to get LotR: WitN or SR: TT. Ahh decisions!
SR2's PC port was outsourced, and it was awful. SR3's PC port is being done in-house by Volition, so has a good chance of being a decent port.

It also has PC exclusive features (various graphical stuff, some sort of TF2 tie-in)

Sportbilly said:
Hang on- is that Kate in your avatar, and didn't you use to have a different 'pic' of her? Apologies for being slow and dumb, I don't usually pay much attention to them and tend to read a hell of a lot more than I post here.

A while ago, my last avatar was Sis from Alpha Protocol. Considering that Monolith Productions no longer exists as of yesterday I needed to mourn.

Anyway, to bring this back around to Steam, I've actually sent dozens of emails to Monolith over the past few years begging them to do whatever it takes to get their games on Steam. The problem is that the best ones are owned by either Fox or Sierra, the former of which no longer has any involvement in video games and the latter of which was eaten by Activision a few years ago.

At least Blood, Blood 2 and SHOGO are available on GOG, but I would bet that the No One Lives Forever games would sell like hotcakes on Steam or GOG because they're extremely well regarded by the people who played them, and a lot of people missed out on them.

Doomrider

jim-jam bongs said:
A while ago, my last avatar was Sis from Alpha Protocol. Considering that Monolith Productions no longer exists as of yesterday I needed to mourn.

Anyway, to bring this back around to Steam, I've actually sent dozens of emails to Monolith over the past few years begging them to do whatever it takes to get their games on Steam. The problem is that the best ones are owned by either Fox or Sierra, the former of which no longer has any involvement in video games and the latter of which was eaten by Activision a few years ago.

At least Blood, Blood 2 and SHOGO are available on GOG, but I would bet that the No One Lives Forever games would sell like hotcakes on Steam or GOG because they're extremely well regarded by the people who played them, and a lot of people missed out on them.

WOW, what?! No! I read a bit about the layoffs, but damn. I didn't think it was gonna be that bad.

MRORANGE

jim-jam bongs said:

A very very sad day, F.E.A.R. was one my favourite fps games of all times.

Tomodachi

Sportbilly said:
Um, piracy isn't theft, otherwise people caught pirating would be prosecuted for theft and not copyright infringement.
I obviously wasn't speaking legalese nor was interested in the legal aspect of the matter, it's just that subtracting money from developer is theft in my little humble book. Aaanyway, I really don't want to derail the thread any further.

By the way, Fortix 2: never heard of that, is it any good? Love the art style!

Sober

Turfster said:
At this moment as I have it on Steam, I could really not care because it is using Steam Cloud, so I don't really have to juggle having to be perfectly signed onto GFWL for my saves and everything (I am hoping). Plus DLC will probably be on Steam and more likely to get a sale.

LA Noire isn't getting a preload is it? I have a feeling the same will apply to Arkham City since neither are Steamworks retail support enabled.

MRORANGE

StuBurns said:
I had no idea Monolith was dead, hasn't there been a thread? That really sucks ass.

Well WB let go a number of people, one of the studios affected was monolith. It's all in the that WB thread which I cannot find at the moment >:

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Mrbob said:
Whaaaat about Monolith? I missed this. :(
What the fuck? I thought it was just some cuts between the studios.

Blood, Shogo, No One Lives Forever, AVP2, and Fear. S Tier shooter developer.

MRORANGE

StuBurns said:
Bizarre, they were rumoured to be working on the Inception game right?

right now they were working on the Batman MP game, but some rumours suggested they were also making a inception game.

Mrbob

shintoki said:
What the fuck? I thought it was just some cuts between the studios.

Blood, Shogo, No One Lives Forever, AVP2, and Fear. S Tier shooter developer.

Yeah sucks indeed if Monolith is gone. They were rumored to be working on a NOLF inspired spiritual successor game right now. Also an Inception game. Their games never mega bomba'd though.

Are we sure they are gone? The info I read here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/04/warner-bros-makes-cuts-across-seattle-studios/

Says the cuts were across multiple studios. Which still sucks in general.

Wichu said:
Apparently it's so Origin can find any Origin-enabled games you already have on your hard drive. I don't have anything interesting stored on my PC, so it doesn't bother me...

That certainly is the most inefficient way to do it.

For clarity:

element said:
Sadly, the studios you knew as Snowblind and Monolith are dead. Now you have WB Seattle.

element said:
Let me make this clear. Monolith and Snowblind aren't shutting down. WB appears to simply be consolidating their development effort in Seattle in a single location. Sadly there is redundancy when you merge multiple teams into a single building.
There are still lots of people at the studio who worked on Shogo, FEAR, NOLF, Condemned.

element is a former Monolith CM who still has a lot of mates there. It's the name that's likely dead, they haven't shuttered Gotham City Impostors or anything and there hasn't been an official announcement that the studio is closed. He did say that at least five Monolith people who worked on the classics lost their job yesterday though.

Rapstah

HP_Wuvcraft said:
That certainly is the most inefficient way to do it.
They supposedly do it once upon install too and don't send the data anywhere except obviously if an EA game is found. I mean, sure, there could be a disclaimer saying that that happened, but it's hardly the worst aspect of Origin.

Sober

jim-jam bongs said:
For clarity:

element is a former Monolith CM who still has a lot of mates there. It's the name that's likely dead, they haven't shuttered Gotham City Impostors or anything and there hasn't been an official announcement that the studio is closed. He did say that at least five Monolith people who worked on the classics lost their job yesterday though.
Time to hope for an Irrational -> 2K Boston -> Irrational situation for Monolith? pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Rapstah said:
They supposedly do it once upon install too and don't send the data anywhere except obviously if an EA game is found. I mean, sure, there could be a disclaimer saying that that happened, but it's hardly the worst aspect of Origin.

It certainly makes you wonder how Steam does their datamining. Especially now that Steamworks is becoming uber-popular.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sober said:
Time to hope for an Irrational -> 2K Boston -> Irrational situation for Monolith? pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease
The two studios are just so different though with years of experience in completely different genres.

Guesong

Wichu said:
Turns out witchedwiz didn't use my HoN Goblin Coins code, so if anyone else wants it, let me know.

Is it still available? My friend would surely want one.

If anyone still have a spare, please do say!

Aselith

HP_Wuvcraft said:
It certainly makes you wonder how Steam does their datamining. Especially now that Steamworks is becoming uber-popular.

Is there any evidence that Valve has ever done datamining other than "lol everyone does it!"? Paranoid ass people would have called out Valve by now if there was any evidence that Steam datamined people and the same would be likely for their Annual Hardware Survey. They do a lot of experiments and market research the old fashioned way - by actually trying it out - but I have certainly never heard anyone talk about them doing that and their business really doesn't seem to focus on getting people's info for any reason at all.

EA wants your info so they can contact you about shit and have market partners contact you to drum up business. Valve has never, ever contacted me about anything ever except with receipts. No newsletter, no special offers, nothing. EA does, GOG does, Atlus does, ect but nothing from Valve.

Not even a birthday coupon. WTF, Gabe?!?

Doomrider

LastWindow said:
I've hardly played anything on Steam for over a month now. I feel like I'm in a gaming rut.

That's Steam for ya: all buy and no try.
[That was bad]
I beat Renegade Ops the other day (which completely rocks, as long as you like having fun) and now I'm playing Broken Sword. I've only played it for an hour or so, but I'm liking it, so far. The audio quality is kinda bad whenever the male protagonist's talking and it's not exactly a graphical showcase (nor did I expect it), but other than that, it's an interesting game.

For some reason, I've suddenly become very interested in adventure games and have put a ton of them on my wishlist. If this craze of mine lasts, I've got the other two Broken Sword games, The Whispered World and Gemini Rue to play, until there's a sale on some of the stuff I want.

Doomrider said:
That's Steam for ya: all buy and no try.
[That was bad]
It is true though.

Well, some of my games I would like to play but can't because of my processor (Sonic Generations, Assassins Creed 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.)

But I have 500 games according to Steam community and I've really only been playing Payday, Dungeon Defenders, and InMomentum.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried the Fortix 2 demo. If you have 20 minutes to spare, at least give the demo a shot. It's small, simple, pretty well done, and fun. I figured it was worth $2.50. :)

benjipwns

Banned
Blizzard said:
I tried the Fortix 2 demo. If you have 20 minutes to spare, at least give the demo a shot. It's small, simple, pretty well done, and fun. I figured it was worth $2.50. :)
It's a good little fun game to kill time with.

For $1 you can complete the set and get the less polished, shorter and not quite as good original as well: http://store.steampowered.com/app/45400/

Both have Steam Achievements.

Derrick01

Banned
Ugh heroes of might and magic 5 keeps crashing when I try to load the game. I've already put over 3 hours into it with no problems and now it keeps crashing. The verify cache thing didn't do anything either, anyone have this problem before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom