• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

nataku

Box copy arrived just a little bit ago. It's installed and patching, so it looks like a reinstall fixed my issue.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Cryptic at least needs to reply to me to let me know what that error code I sent them means. I really don't want to have to reinstall and re-patch every time the issue comes up.

Too bad I have to go to work now. :(

watership

Luthair said:
I'm Getting annoyed with the huge turns I have to do with my cruiser >.<

That's why they have identical weapon slots fore and aft. Use evasive maneuvers and slow down your speed so that you don't end up fighting in perfect figure 8s.

Medalion

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Did anyone end up adding me? I can't even tell. :lol

You'll know, you get a clear popup that says you have been invited by so and so and ask to accept it or not.

It's possible your character name was not entered correctly.

Hey folks,

We just wanted to update you on our in-game server capacity status. Throughout Head Start we noticed the overwhelming response to the game and we are working on changes to further increase the number of people who can play Star Trek Online at any given time. Our current plan is to have these changes in place sometime this coming weekend. We will, of course, keep you updated on progress as it happens.

Really, we just want to thank you all again for your continued support and patience. If it wasn’t for you, we wouldn’t be here.

-The Star Trek Online Team

In case any of you didn't notice this message.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, for making fast turns, try cutting your speed in half for the first half of the turn, than going back up to full to finish it out. Saves you a few seconds.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The_Technomancer said:
Also, for making fast turns, try cutting your speed in half for the first half of the turn, than going back up to full to finish it out. Saves you a few seconds.

This, if you're turning at full speed you're making it harder on yourself.

TheExodu5

Banned
DaveKap said:
Did you know you could use voice commands to control your ship? I believe this will determine who is the trekiest. :lol

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89634

I'm imaging the trekiest nerd out there right now...he plays the game with this wall modeled as the front of the bridge, with a widescreen projector as his display. He sits in his command chair, wearing his Starfleet uniform. He also dies his hair white and shaves his head. Finally, he speaks with a British accent.

Druz

This game is blowing me away at how terrible and boring it is. What do people possibly see in it? What does a ventrilo server filled with people enjoying themselves sound like?

Ember128

TheExodu5 said:
I'm imaging the trekiest nerd out there right now...he plays the game with this wall modeled as the front of the bridge, with a widescreen projector as his display. He sits in his command chair, wearing his Starfleet uniform. He also dies his hair white and shaves his head. Finally, he speaks with a British accent.
That character you are referring to has a Scottish Accent.

Apparently you are not nerdy enough to even conceive of the nerdiest.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Ember128 said:

Who has a scottish accent?

Flambe

Druz said:
This game is blowing me away at how terrible and boring it is. What do people possibly see in it? What does a ventrilo server filled with people enjoying themselves sound like?

Despite the gameplay repetition, I can't get sick of seeing my starship cruising along the stars =P

Luthair

Druz said:
It does seem rushed and simple, but man I love watching the Space battles :p never gets old. It can be a GREAT game if they do it right and work on it more.

Druz

Flambe said:
Despite the gameplay repetition, I can't get sick of seeing my starship cruising along the stars =P

and thats precisely why I think people are enjoying this game. Champions Online was horrid and Cryptic didn't get talent overnight.

Eve is uninteresting to me but they did the whole space thing perfectly. In this, I'm running incredibly boring errands in tiny boxes of space with an obligatory star and planet skybox.

Flambe

I'd agree with Eve in the sense that it feels much more like an actual Galaxy, combat controls weren't too great though (although the skillset is much, much deeper)

Although to be fair, anything less than TIE Fighter/Freespace level of control feels cheap so can't help them there =P

TheExodu5

Banned
Ember128 said:

Patrick Stewart has a Classical English accent, does he not?

Luthair

Anyone know if it really matters if we use Disruptors or Phasers? No diff? I cant really see any >.< other than color.

JWong

Banned
Flambe said:
Phasers better vs shields, disrupters are a little better at hull dmg though less on shields..?
I have no clue. I think I've seen added stats on phasers that say they have a chance to disable enemy subsystems, but there's nothing on disrupters.

I use disrupters anyways.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Luthair said:
Anyone know if it really matters if we use Disruptors or Phasers? No diff? I cant really see any >.< other than color.

Phasers have a small chance of disabling a subsystem on hit, disruptors don't.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need either help or confirmation on getting the colors right. Trying to do a DS9 science uniform for my Joined Trill. I'm color blind so I might be a bit off.

ds9uni.png

edit: second try
ds9uni2.png

Any better? Are the shoulders blue and inside purple-grey, or did I reverse it? I really can't tell. =\

Kagami

Druz said:
I haven't played it yet myself, but one thing I've been feeling as I read this thread and other sites is that I'd probably enjoy it more as an Oblivion-like RPG rather than an MMO.

derFeef

Kagami said:
I haven't played it yet myself, but one thing I've been feeling as I read this thread and other sites is that I'd probably enjoy it more as an Oblivion-like RPG rather than an MMO.
Oblivion? :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Druz said:

Because it's different. Space combat is fun to watch at least. Getting to fly different ships and live in the Star Trek universe is a unique experience.

It's not perfect, and I think it has a long way to go, but it has a good license and the gameplay is unique enough to make it worth it. I've gotten really tired of WoW clones, so this is a nice change of pace. Also, the game is very polished as far as launch MMOs go, though certain people would have you believe otherwise.

JWong said:
You made a Dax? :lol

I shall make one too.

Well not exactly a Dax...but close enough. :p

I figured I had the DDE and the CE, so I had the opportunity to make a legitimate Dax-like character. :)

On the plus side, Joined Trill seems to make a great science officer (+6 to Starship Operations).

Your comm badge is the wrong one as well if your trying to get the uniform bag on, but yeah the shoulder blue should be 2 tones lighter.

Luthair said:

In Space:
Phaser: Chance to disable a random subsystem
Disruptor: Chance to debuff damage resistance
Plasma: Chance to proc a fire based DoT
Tetryon: Chance to proc Shield damage
Polaron: Chance to drain power from all subsystems
Anti-Proton: Bonus Crit damage

Projectile:
Photon: Less damage but faster fire rate. Regular boff effect.
Quantum: More damage but slow fire rate. Regular boff effect.
Plasma: medium damage with a chance to apply a DoT that ignores shields (decent against both unshielded and shielded targets). Plasma's version of High Yield fires a Plasma Ball that can be targeted and shot down.
Transphasic: low damage, but much more of it penetrates shields (very good against shielded targets, mediocre against unshielded targets). Comes with standard Boff powers.
Chroniton: can slow down enemies. (nice for making enemies' weakened shields harder to protect, or as a rear launcher to use when running away). Comes with standard Boff powers.
Tricobalt: very high damage, and a short disable effect (stops target from using any powers for a moment). has a very long cooldown and doesn't get modified by Boff powers.

On Ground:
Phaser: Chance to stun
Disruptor: Chance to debuff damage resistances
Plasma: Chance to proc fire based DoT
Tetryon: Chance to proc Shield damage
Polaron: Chance to proc weapon disable
Anti-Proton: Bonus Crit damage

Hate the trash heap that is the Official Forum right now (hopefully they go to paying members only soon to get rid of most of the trolls), but there is an occasional nugget of gold in among all that dross. This thread is one such nugget.

I personally roll with Dual Disruptor Beam Arrays, Photon Torpedoes, and Quantum Mines, but I've been thinking about Plasma Torpedoes (since they have been a subject of discussion in Fleet chat of late) and wondering if their ability would work with the BOff ability "Torpedo Spread". It could be very useful against groups of targets.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Hate the trash heap that is the Official Forum right now (hopefully they go to paying members only soon to get rid of most of the trolls), but there is an occasional nugget of gold in among all that dross. This thread is one such nugget.

The forum lockdown was meant to happen on the 2nd so all the people on there moaning are probably paying people, most of the moans are about bonus items not working which is a fair point in my book as all the uniforms are broken for boffs and its odd they couldn't get them working for launch.

I personally use quantum torps, will probably have 1 quantum and 1 chroniton launcher.

Edit: Oh new updates nice, character login screen has been changed, you can see each characters rank and profession now.

Weapon colour changing has been removed as well

Top Bottom