• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes: Share Your Favorite Strips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kano On The Phone said:
This thread is awesome, but please, please stop with this shit. Nonsense like this is like posting a phone camera picture of a great painting. Nothing can touch the heart and relevance of the comic itself, and everything even remotely referencing Calvin and Hobbes and not done by Bill Watterson is just completely trite and unnecessary and detracts from celebrating the comic.

This is a "here, this is my favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic" thread, not a "hey, I found something vaguely related to Calvin and Hobbes on StumbleUpon 2 years ago let me show you because I just have to have something to post" thread.

Holy shit, THANK YOU. Could not agree more.

Thanks to this read I'm going to be up all night poring through my collections....

Thanks for finding those Botolf! I'm laughing so hard right now.

"Earth is prime real estate!"

"Location, location, location."

"Who cares about leaves?! What useless knowledge!"

"I believe that's poison sumac you're holding."

"This? What makes you say that?"

And I think my favorite part:

"Where are the girl scouts?"

"They suddenly had to go earn a merit badge. Where's Hobbes?"

And the picture of the aliens dressed up in Christmas stockings is absolutely priceless.

Cyan

Banned
Botolf said:
I5Gtr.gif
Awesome! I was looking for this one earlier. Calvin's last line is seriously one of my favorite quotes of all time. When someone at work asked me to put up an inspirational quote on the main whiteboard, this was what I put there.

Oozer3993

czartim said:
If a kid drew that today...

Imagine if this strip ran today:

vL71i.gif

People then were not happy that it showed a boy fantasizing sending a missile into his own school. As Watterson said in the 10th Anniversary Book, "Apparently some of my readers have never been children."

LCfiner

this thread needs the actual T-Rex in F-14 comic and not just the scan off the back cover of the treasury collection

5ayZb.jpg

undrtakr900

[insert AllofThem .gif]

I own all the books since I was little, my mom used to get me one every birthday/christmas I have like a stack of like 15 books in my room including the special anniversary edition :D

19931010.gif

I love Calvin's back-n-forth with the monsters

19860101.gif

Good question :lol

19930825.gif

2eklws1.gif

I always loved the Calvin/Susie relationship dynamic

smurfx

get some go again
its weird i don't have any recollection of calvin and hobbes as a kid even though i was an 80's kid. i know i would of absolutely loved it too and drawing it especially. garfield was my comic of choice as a kid. i think i will get that calvin and hobbes collection since i really like reading the strips whenever they are posted. i like these three strips i just read at another thread.

2r7pqa8.gif

28stvld.jpg

20ids14.jpg

LCfiner

Jakeh111 said:
Couldnt find the strip but this bought a tear to my eye.

http://copingkoala.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/thefuture.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

because it's not an actual C&H strip. it's just some fan art

Mumei

GhaleonEB said:
Personally, I love any time Roslyn the baby sitter arrived. Especially the time Calvin locker her homework in the bathroom. :D

I love the final story arc with Rosalyn a lot - I read a post about it from a Christian theological perspective that was pretty interesting, even if I don't really buy the whole thing. The strips that tell that story are on the page.

I would post something, but people keep posting all of my favorites.

So I'm a little freaked out. For years I remembered seeing a Calvin and Hobbes animated cartoon. I remember it was just a one time, 30 minute thing, and it was a special and not meant to be a pilot or anything. It aired on Halloween, was kind of dark, and I remember part of it was Calvin imagining himself as Spaceman Spiff. I think I remember it actually airing as a double thing with a similar Far Side cartoon. Now that I think about it, I think it might have been one special with 15 minutes for each strip.

But after checking Wikipedia, apparently there was NEVER a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon even though it was discussed at one time. So WTF? Did I just have one of the coolest dreams ever and mistake it for memory? I still remember a lot of it and that it was awesome but apparently this thing does not exist.

EDIT: Ok apparently the Far Side one does exist (I had to double check) but it was a 30 minute thing on its own. The weird thing is it aired around the same time as I remember the Calvin cartoon. I'm starting to think I had a dream about it induced by the Far Side one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, as soon as I finish buying The Complete Bloom County volumes C&H is definitely next on my list. Damn, this thread brings back so many memories.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I really want to start picking up the Peanuts collections. But I fear how much shelf space it would ultimately take.

Nert

19950126.gif

This strip has become much more relevant for me now that I bring my netbook to my political science lectures; it's just so easy to tune things out now!

Nert said:
This strip has become much more relevant for me now that I bring my netbook to my political science lectures; it's just so easy to tune things out now!

I appreciate it even more now than I ever did as a kid, and the parallels to my life never cease to amaze me. It's truly timeless.

Another great little arc:

FyW92.gif

CyzMF.gif

ElNp9.gif

2rzQn.gif

umBRs.gif

I can just imagine that theme being sung out loud.

undrtakr900

Random question, does anyone else pronounce it Calvin and "Hobbies" in stead of "Hobbes"?

I did when I was little because I thought that's how you pronounced it, but even now I still call him 'Hobbies'.

Sai-kun

Banned
I can't be bothered to look for them right now but one of my favorites has always been this:

Calvin: Hey mom, what's for dinner tonight?

Mom: Tortellini.

Calvin: EW. GROSS! Tortellini?! Ugh! That's disgusting! I hate tortellini! Why would you make tortellini?!

Last panel: He's in his room reading a dictionary

Calvin: Tortellini..tortellini...T-O-R...

:lol Always cracks me up. Also the one where Susie builds a snow woman, and then he runs home to build a snow "man", and his mom comes out and yells at him, saying "No, we are NOT having an anatomically correct snowman in the front yard."

C&H taught me so many words as a little kid, like anatomically! :D

Another fave: Calvin is 'selling' Great Ideas for 50 cents, and his mom buys one and she says, "What's your great idea?", and Calvin replies, "Buy some more! :D"

<3 C&H

Nabs

calvin.gif

This one went over my head as a kid. I honestly thought there was a Calvin and Hobbes tv show.

GDGF

Soothsayer
undrtakr900 said:
Random question, does anyone else pronounce it Calvin and "Hobbies" in stead of "Hobbes"?

I did when I was little because I thought that's how you pronounced it, but even now I still call him 'Hobbies'.

I did for a while in elementary school. A teacher corrected me after she confiscated my copy of "Something Under the Bed is Drooling".

C4Lukins

Seda said:
nuqIR.jpg

FIXED.

I know it's fan art, buts it's actually good this way.

I sort of agree. As perfect as the final strip was, this particular fanart satisfies my need for closure while still staying true to the original comic.

KAOz

Short bus special
Ever since I read the comic where Calvin get's lost at the Zoo, I've wanted to make this one. And now, I did:

dad.jpg

KAOz said:
Ever since I read the comic where Calvin get's lost at the Zoo, I've wanted to make this one. And now, I did:

dad.jpg

I've got to admit, that's pretty funny! Kind of reminds me of those "Garfield without Garfield" comics.

I'll be indebted to anyone that can find that one strip where Calvin is reading that comic book where the superhero gets his innards blasted out by some sort of ray gun. I remember it describing in great, gory detail as it destroyed him from the inside out. Surpisingly graphic, but utterly awesome!

Platy

Calvin thread without mentioning the infamous Fight Club Theory ????

Also, anyone have that one where calvin sells a hug or gives a hug as a present for something ?
I made a reference for that with some friends and nobody got it =(

Also, for some bizarre reason, Hobbes is named "Haroldo" here in brazil o_O

The Technomancer

SenseiJinx said:
I'll be indebted to anyone that can find that one strip where Calvin is reading that comic book where the superhero gets his innards blasted out by some sort of ray gun. I remember it describing in great, gory detail as it destroyed him from the inside out. Surpisingly graphic, but utterly awesome!
I know the exact one you're talking about.

Sibylus

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
Bam.

19920721.gif

Thanks Botolf and Spaceman Spiff! I was picturing the one that Spiff psted but I think my brain combined that with the text from the one Botolf posted. Both unbelievably awesome.

Utter perfection. I absolutely love the spot on, over the top comic book feel to that. "I could feel my spine shatter. It hurt. A lot."

Foolish Amazon! I'm only toying with you!

The Technomancer

Watterson is such an iconic mystery figure. On the one hand, when you read his writings about the strip you discover how much he did for the industry, like his long-fought battle over Sunday sizes that allowed things like the above to be printed.
On the other hand, he really is a complete recluse. Comic writing truly was his passion, but even other cartoonists don't hear a peep out of him. I don't think he's even a member of the NCS, which is just about unheard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom