• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

catabarez

So I'm looking for a bluetooth adapter that will be compatible for my Wii remote and PS3 controller. Are there any that will give me any trouble?

Thrakier

@thoraxes

For me it does. It introduces some weird overlay...hard to describe. Also those other two optons you are using (lighting and texture) signficantly lower the performance without any visible difference to me.

SparkTR

How powerful of a CPU will I need to run a game with the DSP LLE setting enabled while still maintaining a good FPS? It fixes the sound issues in various game (Double Dash, Mario Galaxy) but it's a massive drain on my PC.

tsab

So I'm looking for a bluetooth adapter that will be compatible for my Wii remote and PS3 controller. Are there any that will give me any trouble?

You will need 2 BT Adapters. The one for the PS3 Controller needs a special dedicated BT driver (from motionjoy).

Chavelo

Uhm, SS looks kinda ok but it's still a fucking boring game...damn. :(

AndHereWeGo.gif

So, question: it's impossible to run Wii games from disc in Dolphin due to the drive spin direction, right? Also, can Dolphin run Xenoblade just fine without having a Wiimote connected?

I actually own both an actual Wii (launch Wii no less) and Xenoblade itself (just arrived!) but Xenoblade is the sort of game that begs to be played on my high-rez computer monitor. I can rip the game to an SDcard, I suppose, but it'll still be a pain in the butt. :|

Red

So, question: it's impossible to run Wii games from disc in Dolphin due to the drive spin direction, right? Also, can Dolphin run Xenoblade just fine without having a Wiimote connected?

I actually own both an actual Wii (launch Wii no less) and Xenoblade itself (just arrived!) but Xenoblade is the sort of game that begs to be played on my high-rez computer monitor. I can rip the game to an SDcard, I suppose, but it'll still be a pain in the butt. :|

You can rip it to a USB hard drive if that makes it any easier.

grkazan12

So the Wireless Wii Sensor Bar I ordered from DealExtreme arrived today and it works but the Wiimote is having problems with being tracked. The Wii Sensor Bar position is set to top in the settings, I can track the Wiimote as a cursor in games but it only seems to be in certain areas. A

Any recommendations would be awesome?

Bog

Junior Ace
Found the "Thoraxe" SS settings and applied them... now I'm getting these random black lines all over the place. Anyone else run into this?

x3sphere

Found the "Thoraxe" SS settings and applied them... now I'm getting these random black lines all over the place. Anyone else run into this?

Try enabling at least 2xAA. I get black lines in SS, only if AA is disabled. Pretty strange, a few people on the Dolphin forum had the same issue too.

Medalion

Banned
I tried that patched version someone linked to, and it runs slightly better in some cases, but I liked the overall look I could get with 7719, if I cranked the res high enough I could sorta get rid of the blurring of that filter

Mit-

I hope when I finally get around to playing Skyward Sword in a month or two there is a version of Dolphin available that emulates the depth of field and stylized blurring at the same depth as the Wii version :\

I'm scared at how it's different in just about every single person's screenshot I see. And I'm terrified of screenshots that feature heavy blurring that is clearly being rendered incorrectly, but people are too ignorant to notice :\

Medalion

Banned
I've noticed this as well... the depth of field blur is just all over the place rendering at different distances. It is quite annoying yes but everything else generally looks great. Sometimes cranking up the internal resolution to maximum affects this a little.

Thrakier

I've noticed this as well... the depth of field blur is just all over the place rendering at different distances. It is quite annoying yes but everything else generally looks great. Sometimes cranking up the internal resolution to maximum affects this a little.

Ina positive or negative way? TBH I never testeted it on wii so I don't know how it's supposed to look.

Medalion

Banned
Negative. There are times when you are in a small room and that depth of field blur acts like your furniture is like miles and miles away but it's like literally right behind you.

Ketch

Please do not hate me for asking, hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble, but this question comes from a place of ignorance - not malice.

I want to run dolphine on my pc and play all the wii games I've missed out on legitimately. Do I need to buy a Wii? or just the games/accessories?

Yaska

Please do not hate me for asking, hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble, but this question comes from a place of ignorance - not malice.

I want to run dolphine on my pc and play all the wii games I've missed out on legitimately. Do I need to buy a Wii? or just the games/accessories?

You need Wii for games, for LLE DSP you need actual wii. Games and accessories you must of course purchase.

wiggleb0t

Banned

Isn't it obvious? Not being rude but did your logical/reasoning side of you call in sick today? What's different about game piracy compared to emulator piracy? Nothing. You're taking something which is a means of income for the company and not paying for it..

Like with roms and emulators you should own the equipment you're planing to run via emulated means. Both the games and the system be it a console or arcade cabinet, it's the whole damn #1 'code' of emulation.

You need a Wii because there aren't many easily accessible PC disc drives that will read Wii discs and let you copy from them, if any even exist at all. So, at the very least, you need a modded Wii and something to store large games on (10gb at least) so you can copy them to something your PC can read.

linkboy

You'll need a homebrewed Wii to get the games converted to an iso, since DVD drives don't read Wii games.

There is a DVD drive made by LG that could read Wii, but its kinda hard to find now.

Durante

Isn't it obvious? Not being rude but did your logical/reasoning side of you call in sick today? What's different about game piracy compared to emulator piracy? Nothing. You're taking something which is a means of income for the company and not paying for it..

Like with roms and emulators you should own the equipment you're planing to run via emulated means. Both the games and the system be it a console or arcade cabinet, it's the whole damn #1 'code' of emulation.
Actually, that's completely wrong. Nothing says you need to own the hardware to run an emulator. Of course, that is only true as long as the emulator doesn't use any binary blobs extracted from the hardware. So in the case of Dolphin, you'd only be able to use the HLE sound option. Also, it's hard (but not impssible) to get the game data without a Wii.

Obviously, you do need to own the games, but he wasn't asking about that.

Ketch

Thanks for the (mostly) kind responses everyone. Wii goes back on the Christmas wishlist, cross your fingers for me.

Red

I hope when I finally get around to playing Skyward Sword in a month or two there is a version of Dolphin available that emulates the depth of field and stylized blurring at the same depth as the Wii version :

I'm scared at how it's different in just about every single person's screenshot I see. And I'm terrified of screenshots that feature heavy blurring that is clearly being rendered incorrectly, but people are too ignorant to notice :
People keep saying this, but Dolphin renders the DoF exactly the same way my Wii does. The only time it becomes more shallow is when z targeting an enemy or object -- as it should.

The only other occasion on which it breaks is when using the free cam within Dolphin, but there's no way around that and doesn't matter if you intend to play normally.

Thrakier

I used this settings: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33306252&postcount=6718

Mind posting yours, please? I am always willing to test again.

Those are not the best settings imo. At least for me FSAA introduces glitches. Also Per Pixel Lighting and Force Texture Filtering do nothing for the image quality but they cost a bit performance. Skip EFB Access fucks up the cursor when you are aiming, so that should be unchecked. Progressive Sacn isn't needed as well.

Most important thing: You want to use XAUDIO instead of DAUDIO. XAUDIO is less audio latency, which is quite annoying with DAUDIO. :)

I decided to load up Rayman Origins on Dolphin, and it looks really good. Better than I expected. However, it has the same problem that a few of my other games have, where the controls become unplayably laggy after a few minutes when you use a real Wiimote/Classic Controller. I can play it using my Xbox 360 controller as an emulated classic controller, but the game doesn't control very well with it. Has anybody managed to play it with a real Wiimote on Dolphin without running into the lag issue?

Thrakier

It's a shame that there is no way to play shattered memories (without everything fucked up that is). It's such a nice game and looks amazing in dolphin.

MCD

Those are not the best settings imo. At least for me FSAA introduces glitches. Also Per Pixel Lighting and Force Texture Filtering do nothing for the image quality but they cost a bit performance. Skip EFB Access fucks up the cursor when you are aiming, so that should be unchecked. Progressive Sacn isn't needed as well.

Most important thing: You want to use XAUDIO instead of DAUDIO. XAUDIO is less audio latency, which is quite annoying with DAUDIO. :)

Yeah, I always use XAUDIO, DAUDIO doesn't play nice whenever I try it.

I will test it again tomorrow with your settings.

Thrakier

So, if your TV or Monitor has a 6500k setup (warm colors) I STRONLY suggest you use it for Skyward Sword. Just tested it on the second world and looks so much better and really helps the colors to pop. I don't know if they designed it with 6500k in mind but it's really like...a 50% gfx boost for me. Because then the gfx suddenly *click*, before that it was just too washed out...

Top Bottom