• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Vigil Games (2005-2013)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
While the developer and Darksiders titles were quality, I can understand the lack of commercial drive to pick up the studio. I had a couple of conversations with THQ execs a few years back and the budgets for those games were way, way too high for what they should have invested in the first place on such a genre given the sales they should have expected even in an optimistic scenario.

To be fair, Strife and Famine weren't exactly riveting prospects for sequels, so maybe buyers figured the load had been blown.

Have to say the whole story of DS2 felt like a cop out. I didn't want to witness/play some lame ass quasi-concurrent events, I wanted to know what the hell happened next.

Some really nice ideas, but both games ended up irritating me the more I played. Still always sad to hear this about a studio.

Labadal

I'm actually surprised no one wanted them. Despite not having great sales, the Darksiders series had potential with the right publisher.

Lakitu

st5fu
Didn't play either Darksiders but this is horrible news. :( Ruined my evening. Going to purchase both games at some point.

Yawnier

Banned
I already said this in the THQ thread but this is quite sad really.

The first Darksiders was a really fun, underrated game that blended concepts/aspects from several other games and made it work with the combat/gameplay from God of War and Devil May Cry to similar dungeon design to that of The Legend of Zelda.

AwRy108

R.I.P. Vigil!

I bought both of your games on their respective launch days, so I did my part.

EDIT: I agree with Allonym, Vigil would've been a great fit for SONY.

Mikey Jr.

Awww shit. I loved DS1 but never played DS2. The fact that DS2 wasn't a direct sequel to DS1 really bummed me out.

So what happens to the IP anyways? Who owns it? Will we ever realistically see a DS3?

Alchemy

Fuck businessmen. God damn this makes no sense. Darksiders is a solid IP, as long as you don't bank on it selling fucking CoD numbers and spend that much on marketing there is no reason you can't turn a profit on a game that ships 1.5 million units. The first game wasn't as marketed and it still managed to sell 1 million copies. As a new IP!

With proper management there is no reason Vigil can't be profitable. Fuck you upper management and your non-scaling assholes. Go big or go home? Go fuck yourselves.

I'm mad.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Darksiders is a solid IP, as long as you don't bank on it selling fucking CoD numbers and spend that much on marketing there is no reason you can't turn a profit on a game that ships 1.5 million units.

They needed to sell multiple times that to break even on the dev cost alone.

Alchemy

They needed to sell multiple times that to break even on the dev cost alone.

And I'm willing to bet this was caused by THQ wanting to turn Darksiders into a franchise they could bank their entire company on, so they scaled it up. Go back to the scope of the first game and the problem is solved. Having to ship multiple millions of units to cover development costs is the result of businesses having a "race to the top", which ends up doing nothing but killing off a majority of their development studios because the industry simply can't support that many AAA titles.

Its stupid business driven by greed to maximize profits based on bullshit graphs pulled from usage and growth data. Instead of growing bit by bit and establishing a solid franchise, development pipeline and fan base they risk everything by scaling up far too fast.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know who's to blame for how DS2 ended up but if it was the studio's decision and not THQ then they sowed their own fate. That was just a horrendous decision.

Amir0x

Banned
Aw that's a shame. I felt Darksiders II was a step back from the first game which I only had tepid love for in the first place, but I thought they definitely had the potential to become something great.

Sorry to all Vigil employees :(

So does buying the studio only get you the building and name?

Because i can see why no one would want Vigil if several of the top people have already left to start their own companies or projects, leaving the studio with a potentially enormous talent drain as all the talent leave right after the keys get handed over.

I would want clauses and contracts in place first.

I imagine Relic and Volition are pretty tight groups that had little risk of that.

Matt

Honestly I think Nintendo might have bid for them if they were anywhere else but Texas.

You don't need two separate Texas studios.

To be completely honest, since Retro is continuing to staff up, the destruction of Vigil is good for Nintendo. Now they have a big pool of newly unemployed talent in the area to pick from without having to poney up a dime. Why would they have bought Vigil when they can get the staff for free?

overcast

What the fuck. Darksiders seems a tad profitable, or is it not? The team is really talented. How were they not bid for at all?!

I mentioned this in the other THQ thread, but what happens to Darksiders now? Is it going to disappear from DD services?

I'll assume we have another Kingdoms of Amalur situation, whereby it'll still be available for purchuse, but there will be strictly no discounts on them. Unless, of course, someone buys back-catalogue rights (c'mon, CD Projekt!)

To be completely honest, since Retro is continuing to staff up, the destruction of Vigil is good for Nintendo. Now they have a big pool of newly unemployed talent in the area to pick from without having to poney up a dime. Why would they have bought Vigil when they can get the staff for free?

Honestly I think Nintendo might have bid for them if they were anywhere else but Texas.

You don't need two separate Texas studios.
Very interesting point. And I believe Retro did poach one of the art directors from the DS team no? Hope some more of their guys wind up in good places :)

Blah, pretty shitty news. Best of luck to those guys. I also think Nintendo should have bid for them. Not sure why but it seems like the perfect fit...

bounchfx

Really? so ex-Vigil devs are willing to work for free now? I have some art they can make me, for free, if it's the case. ;)

I do agree that it would be great to see some at Retro. Vigil had an incredible art team.

4page-img10.jpg

RIP :(

Con_Smith

Banned
I'll assume we have another Kingdoms of Amalur situation, whereby it'll still be available for purchuse, but there will be strictly no discounts on them. Unless, of course, someone buys back-catalogue rights (c'mon, CD Projekt!)

You and I must share the same brain as I was thinking CDPR and darksiders would make a great match.

ezekial45

Banned
What a shame. They were a really talented studio, and they didn't deserve to go out like this.

I hope everyone can land on their feet. Hopefully the other Texas studios will take them in.

Really hurts to see Texan developers down like this :/ loved Darksiders. I wasn't a fan of DS2's concurrent story, but I adored everything else about it!!!

Hope everyone lands on their feet soon.

Blah, pretty shitty news. Best of luck to those guys. I also think Nintendo should have bid for them. Not sure why but it seems like the perfect fit...

Nintendo has a very unique internal development structure. It is why they so rarely acquire studios particularly western ones where it is common to have leads and top people constantly moving around and leaving.

Ushae

Banned
The lack of support Darksiders II got from gamers still baffles me to no end.

People complain about games not having enough content in them, and Darksiders II handled that and then some. Loot, leveling up, leveling up of loot, sidequests, side-dungeons, a combat system that's nearly as good as dedicated 3D action game, fantastic voice-acting, and freaking New Game Plus.

... We did this, you guys. ... It's our fault.

I played the hell out of it, so I can appreciate ur comments here bro. DS deserves so much more. Ot was rammed with so much content.

dentoomw

RIP Vigil, great talent there and I hope they all get to stand on their feet again soon.

I'm hopeful in a weird way. I don't think the death of Vigil necessarily means the death of the Darksiders IP.

Ganondorfo

This is all your fault GAF, the second darksiders game wasnt even in the top 30 of goty 2012 from the official neogaf goty list...

Top Bottom