• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Gigantic Info Flood And Screens [Update: Tons Of New Info In OP]

wit3tyg3r

Darklord said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone. You people are saying a PC exclusive looks better than a game designed for consoles and PC? Get the fuck outta here!

I'm not saying that they necessarily do. I'm just saying that they have the potential to look better than console games because there's so much more power in a mid- to high-end gaming rig. If you really look at the specs for an XBOX 360, we're talkin' 512 MB of RAM shared between both the CPU and GPU (which are both on the same die, so technically it's an APU...unless it's changed for the slim 360), a triple-core CPU running at 3GHz, GPU running at 500MHz. I'm sure that the majority of PC gamers have more than that, so PC games can really take advantage of those specs.

And the RAM has a big effect since it houses all the meshes and textures needed during gameplay, so compare a PC with 8GB of RAM to the 360 with only 512MB...the PC is able to store more and higher-quality textures and meshes in RAM so, therefore, can render those higher quality graphics much quicker and more efficiently.

Van Buren

UnblessedSoul said:
The witcher 2 is complete shit, yes it has nice graphics but gameplay, quests everything else is sterile, stop being butthurt cause they've decided to switch to platforms that actually make them money
If The Witcher 2's quests are sterile, I'd hate to apply that same grading criteria to the quests in Oblivion which were uninspired fetch quests for the most part, lacking any semblance of choice or consequence. Thankfully, working on a Fallout game meant that Bethesda at least showed improvement where quests are concerned, and I'm hoping Skyrim's quest design is improved further.

Regarding the topic of recent discussion, one would think that Bethesda would put up a few PC shots with the bells and whistles cranked up for promotional purposes. They did so for the multiplatform release of Oblivion, and it generated massive hype going by visuals alone. As it stands, the Skyrim shots released so far feature unflattering texture resolution - it's hard to make out the details on the main character's armor, for instance.

Apath

LastWindow said:
So disappointing.
I don't really see the issue considering the plethora of mods available for Oblivion and Morrowind. Those people who care about their eye candy can still have it. I'm just surprised they decided not to make use of the platform a little bit at the very least.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Mr_Brit said:
It's confirmed not to look better on PC.
im going to bet that the game does look better on PC. Bethesda isnt going to say that the PC version is better otherwise it would send some console people into orbit.

Dennis

Banned
water_wendi said:
im going to bet that the game does look better on PC. Bethesda isnt going to say that the PC version is better otherwise it would send some console people into orbit.
It will obviously look a lot better on PC just because of the increased resolution and AA alone.

But apart from that apparently not.

Van Buren

DennisK4 said:
It will obviously look a lot better on PC just because of the increased resolution and AA alone.

But apart from that apparently not.

Wasn't there a rumor that the cities will be sectioned off like Oblivion again ? In that case, the PC mods should at least allow a seamless experience like last time - that's another thing to look forward to.

Unicorn

Darkman M said:
Mods will save us.
Pretty sad that Bethesda has built the game around the idea that "We can cut corners because people will just mod it into the game it was supposed to be"

Smart on their part, because they save money and time.

Shitty on our part because we have to wait 6 months later to actually play the game as it was meant to on the PC platform.

Ploid 3.0

The textures in the PC versions of Oblivion, and fallouts were crap too, they had to have mods that either do something to the existing textures, or make better textures. Effects, lighting, and other pretty stuff was added in mods as well.

Unicorn said:
Shitty on our part because we have to wait 6 months later to actually play the game as it was meant to on the PC platform.

You can play it at launch if you want to play the game as it was meant to be. Wait 6 months if you want the way fans think it ought to be.

Xenon

Darkman M said:
Mods will save us.

I think it has gotten to the point that Bethesda is counting on that. Which is why I think people are kidding themselves in thinking the game would be so much better looking if it was PC only. Sure they would have had more on the screen but Elder Scroll games have never been known for their graphic engines. Up till now they have always thrown as much shit in it that they could no matter how sloppy or bad it performed and let time and the mod community fix the rest. Now they are actually trying to optimize their engine and get the most out of fixed platform. So, largely due to consoles, this may be first time an Elder scrolls game can be run perfectly on a quality gaming pc.

The fact that they chose barren frozen mountains doesn't hurt either =)

Durante

UnblessedSoul said:
The witcher 2 is complete shit, yes it has nice graphics but gameplay, quests everything else is sterile, stop being butthurt cause they've decided to switch to platforms that actually make them money
Wait, what?
Claiming that Witcher 2's gameplay and quests are sterile is already a very peculiar position to take, but doing so in a thread about the next Elder Scrolls game is hilarious. I'm actually a huge TES fan ever since Daggerfall, but I'd say the weakest things about the series are the (vast majority of) its quests and gameplay. I'd be hard pressed to remember more than 3 or so interesting quests in vanilla Oblivion. I've only played 1/3rd of TW2 and it already surpassed that.

Solo

DennisK4 said:
Scale obviously matters but the budget for The Witcher 2 was tiny and still it blows away the graphics of every other RPG.

North American RPG developers (I am looking at you Bioware and Betsheda) need to shape up.

For Gods sake, even a RPG with a truly tiny budget like Two Worlds II blows lazy NA devs away!

Correction: they need to shape up OR license the RED Engine ;)

Solo

Kenak said:
But the above screen shots are not on the PC, which is what you guys are comparing to the Witcher 2.

True, but lets be honest here: the 360 is the lead platform and Bethesda isn't going to put any extra effort into the PC version. As was the case with Oblivion, Skyrim will be a great PC game - a year after release that is, once the mod community has brought in better textures and effects, fixed the gameplay, etc. I fully expect day one PC Skyrim to be only marginally superior (mostly with respect to framerate, AA and res) to day one 360 Skyrim.

(._.)

Banned
After reading up a bit more on this title I wont be getting this game until it is on sale. Really hoping it does during the Steam winter sale this year. FONV did and by just waiting a little less than two months you could save a little over $20 on your purchase of the game (iirc).

Apath

Solo said:
True, but lets be honest here: the 360 is the lead platform and Bethesda isn't going to put any extra effort into the PC version. As was the case with Oblivion, Skyrim will be a great PC game - a year after release that is, once the mod community has brought in better textures and effects, fixed the gameplay, etc. I fully expect day one PC Skyrim to be only marginally superior (mostly with respect to framerate, AA and res) to day one 360 Skyrim.
Sure, that makes a lot of sense. This sort of brings us back full circle though: why compare a game designed to take advantage of modern PC hardware to a game being designed to try and squeeze as much power as possible from 6-year old hardware? Did Dennis really expect Skyrim, an XBOX 360 title, to surpass The Witcher 2, one of the best looking PC games ever released? If it's bitching over the game not being superior on the PC, I feel it should have taken place back when it was announced. Not when they're showing off screen shots for the 360 version which look spectacular given the scope of the game and the hardware it's running on.

GhaleonEB said:
I keep coming in hoping to see new stuffz.

E3, hurry the fuck up already.
If there's anything new, I'll update the OP. If there's any big news, it'll probably have its own topic. :lol

Solo said:
Yeah, they won't put any extra effort into it. From a business standpoint, it makes more than sense. It even makes sense from a creative standpoint, as they have more time to work on content, gameplay and the general "feel" of the world. Which, to me, is more important than being able to count every hair on the ass of my horse. Maybe that's just me.

Plus, it being 'marginally superior' still seems like a pretty good deal, to me. If anyone feels they're entitled to more, they're also entitled to wait for it, too. As long as we're in this generation of consoles, you won't see any multiplatform titles that push the envelope in the way a PC-only game can try to do. I'm fine with that, as long as the gameplay is good.

The console peasant has spoken. :lol

Mods aren't made in a day, either. :( I don't care about graphics, but this doesn't make it any more acceptable or any less disappointing.

Geoff Keighly tweeted a picture of a work in progress Skyrim billboard near the convention center. Can't wait to see it finished.

UPDATE: Someone at the Bethesda forums (and Aeana) posted an updated version already, I need to step up my game. :lol

9Mbhrm.jpg

pFMkTl.jpg

Final bump for this thread:

GaL5Y.jpg

"Elder Scrolls fans can expect new Skyrim information in the July issue of PlayStation The Official Magazine. The issue is already going out to subscribers and you can look for it on newsstands beginning June 7th. Until then, Dovahkiin challenges you to a staring contest. Ready…. go!"

I (or whoever else is first) will make a new thread once the info hits the interwebs. :)

Lakitu

st5fu
Bigger and better than Oblivion.

I like the sound of that.

Anyway, do we know what they're going to show at E3? I assume there will be a demo?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, it had BETTER BE bigger and better than Oblivion. Bleh.

okenny

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Final bump for this thread:

GaL5Y.jpg

"Elder Scrolls fans can expect new Skyrim information in the July issue of PlayStation The Official Magazine. The issue is already going out to subscribers and you can look for it on newsstands beginning June 7th. Until then, Dovahkiin challenges you to a staring contest. Ready…. go!"

I (or whoever else is first) will make a new thread once the info hits the interwebs. :)

Doe-Fucking is so badass. I can't wait to be him and meat bambie in the woods of Skyrim <3

Lakitu said:
Bigger and better than Oblivion.

I like the sound of that.

Anyway, do we know what they're going to show at E3? I assume there will be a demo?
There'll definitely be a demo, though probably not on one of the main stages like they did with Fallout 3. I think we'll either get some G4/IGN/Gamespot demos, or a gameplay video Bethesda released themselves, like they did with Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Oh, and I've got a few nuggets for you guys from PC Gamer:

- The higher you go in the world, the worse the weather can become.
- Rivers in dungeons are a "natural way" to 'lead' players to certain spots.
- There's a "Chain Lightning"-spell.
- The city with the windmill we saw in the trailer (and in the above screenshot) is Solitude, a city that sides with the Empire during the civil war. The oldest, "Pure Nord" city is Windhelm.
- There are rabbits in the game. Small, fluffy, peaceful rabbits. And you can kill them.

bengraven

Since the PSP is dead, I have zero reasons to buy a PS magazine.

So I'm hoping we get the bullet points soon.

F5.

F5.

F5.

Blue Ninja said:
There'll definitely be a demo, though probably not on one of the main stages like they did with Fallout 3. I think we'll either get some G4/IGN/Gamespot demos, or a gameplay video Bethesda released themselves, like they did with Oblivion and Fallout 3.

- The city with the windmill we saw in the trailer (and in the above screenshot) is Solitude, a city that sides with the Empire during the civil war. The oldest, "Pure Nord" city is Windhelm.
- There are rabbits in the game. Small, fluffy, peaceful rabbits. And you can kill them.

Oh, this works for now.

Solitude looks awesome. Can't wait to explore the towns. I know this is ridiculous, since most people only care about the combat or loot or dungeons, but for me the thrill of exploring a new city was always the best part of an Elder Scrolls game. Collecting quests, talking to villagers, jacking everything that isn't bolted down...

And fuck yes, I can cast chain lightening on rabbits. GOTD.

Solo

One area where Skyrim will best The Witcher 2 is the soundtrack. Don't get me wrong - The Witcher 2 has great music. But Jeremy Soule is going to fucking destroy it with Skyrim, I can feel it.

Darklord

Banned
Solo said:
One area where Skyrim will best The Witcher 2 is the soundtrack. Don't get me wrong - The Witcher 2 has great music. But Jeremy Soule is going to fucking destroy it with Skyrim, I can feel it.

The songs I've heard already sound amazing.

bengraven

Solo said:

God, I don't know. I'm the biggest TES apologist of them all: look at my post history in Oblivion threads.

But the Witcher soundtracks are on constant repeat while I'm writing. I once said they were almost better than Diablo 2's.

That said, I would say the music for each game will likely fit that game. Melodic, haunting music for Witcher, epic, chanting war music for Skyrim.

okenny

Banned
Blue Ninja said:

Have they talked about the split between snowy and normal (tropical? :/) regions? Are there seasons?

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:

Thanks for the info. Solitude is by the coast isn't it?

Damn, I cannot wait. And I will leave the rabbits be. I want to have some as pets. And mammoths.

bengraven

Did you say "tropical"?

Lakitu said:

Damn, I cannot wait. And I will leave the rabbits be. I want to have some as pets. And mammoths.

Fuck me, if there's no mammoth mount than there is no God.

okenny said:
Have they talked about the split between snowy and normal (tropical? :/) regions? Are there seasons?
Skyrim's the northern province. It won't all be ice and snow, but tropical? Nope. There's a tundra region, scandinavia-like forests and such, but all these regions have one thing in common: it's very. freaking. cold. :lol

As for seasons, I'm not sure. I doubt there'll be, but you never know.

bengraven said:
That said, I would say the music for each game will likely fit that game. Melodic, haunting music for Witcher, epic, chanting war music for Skyrim.
Skyrim's music seems a bit more 'somber' in tone, too. Maybe has to do with the whole 'end of the world'-thing.

okenny

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Skyrim's the northern province. It won't all be ice and snow, but tropical? Nope. There's a tundra region, scandinavia-like forests and such, but all these regions have one thing in common: it's very. freaking. cold. :lol

Thanks for the info :)

Being a Bethesda game and seeing as how many of the lessons learned in fallout are being rolled into Skyrim, it would be amazing if there's a hardcore mode that takes the elements into account. It sounds like a harsher climate and I wouldn't mind that factoring into gameplay.

Lakitu said:

Yup, it's by the coast. Apparently, the other major cities are Whiterun, Riften, Markarth and Windhelm.

And I recall hearing somewhere that we'll be seeing mammoths at E3. I freakin' hope it's true.

Hawk269

Any mention of the PC version will have native 360 support? I mean, if they are not giving PC gamers higher rez textures and shit, at least give us the "OPTION" to play with a controller if we want.

Solo said:
One could hope, but I doubt it. Jeremy Soule in previous Elder Scrolls games has done mostly crappy ambient music, not the kind of music anyone would actually listen to outside of the game. The few non-ambient songs were good, though.

Top Bottom