• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to Brandon and ben for stepping up and explaining exactly why they wouldn't stream the game. Also thanks to blood for trying to keep the peace in here too. Easy allies are good people.

ToonLink

The community comments send off stream is so jolly and chill. Something about it being a stream with two people makes it a lot more entertaining than the pre produced videos.

The community comments send off stream is so jolly and chill. Something about it being a stream with two people makes it a lot more entertaining than the pre produced videos.

Looking forward to watching it. The community comment videos seemed like such a chore and only really appealed to those that wrote comments. This should hopefully be a lot easier to produce and a lot more enjoyable to those who didn’t submit, and perhaps more enjoyable for those that do as well.

abrack08

Looking forward to watching it. The community comment videos seemed like such a chore and only really appealed to those that wrote comments. This should hopefully be a lot easier to produce and a lot more enjoyable to those who didn’t submit, and perhaps more enjoyable for those that do as well.

Yeah I watched the first Community Comments video and then never watched again. I think I'll be checking into most, if not all, of the showcase streams, because I just like seeing the allies hang out and talk about pretty much anything. Plus highlighting cool things the community has said or made, should be a good time.

ShadyK54

You happy with your Switch?

Todoroki is the MAN in MHA. Enjoying the manga a lot.

Yeah, I’m happy with it. It’s just there hasn’t been anything to catch my attention big time yet since Zelda (which I didn’t even finish). I also have a lot on PS4 I want to get through before years end.

Also, great! I remember your post in the anime thread, glad you’re enjoying it.

luchadork

I've found I've become completely engrossed with indies on my switch. hardly touched my ps4, pc, or even mario+rabbids because i cant stop playing shovel knight, golf story, and steamworlddig2. its such a good handheld.

ToonLink

I think it would be more enjoyable for the people who submit it, too, since Jones discusses the comment with the other ally present now.

Aw man. I was hoping Damiani would get to do his "What's in your cup, Damiani?" bit and was disappointed when they didn't do it again. When asked on Twitter, Kyle said he forgot it the last time and since Brad was asking for it, I was hoping it would become a regular thing again.

Hah my community comment snuck in. I did that during the group stream.

The new format looks fun. In the past I only did one submission and it was a video I didn’t really watch. But this new format is a lot more fun. And now I’m more interested in submitting and watching it

I thought the Kirby shitting was bad, but Brandon going after Fortune Street?! I'm sitting here contemplating buying the Japanese version because it might not come out in English! Outrageous!

Still though, I am torn on buying Fortune Street... I might give it until PSX to see if it gets announced as weird stuff gets announced there.

That was hilarious though. Kyle was shattered.

I can't remember what Jones, Damiani and Brad settled on because they seemed to jump between a lot of silly third party (Fortune Street, Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Games, etc) and one-off (PS All Stars, Steel Diver, etc) picks but Kyle's ones were good.

I think I'll go with:
Sony: WipEout
Nintendo: Animal Crossing
Microsoft: Halo

I was surprised Brad had no idea how big Tekken was until I realised he missed the PS1. You had to be there to realise how huge Tekken 3 was. It was insane. It's fallen off since then because Tekken 4 and 6 sucked and they fell into the boring Heihachi/Kazuya feud rut for numerous games but the franchise is still big and it finally looks like they're moving forward now.

Reaction from the community was disappointing for sure but there is also definitely responsibility(which for my part I think they owned up to) on the Allies part for not thinking the process through enough and communicating stuff like this possibly happening right when they introduced the tier.

The veto coming out of nowhere was definitely a mistake and I said as much when it happened because I could understand why those people would be upset about their pick just being thrown in the garbage like that (though I had no interest in watching them play that game). But the scale of the outrage we saw after that was honestly just pathetic.

That said, like I said before, I think it was a very vocal minority. I doubt most of the people disliking the group stream on Youtube are even patrons.

EZA has always been fairly kid friendly in tone and content.
I think people chose that game exactly for that reason (i.e. to troll) so i don't see much of a problem with their choice to veto.
They should've been clear about it from that start, that that was a possibility (i don't if they did, tbh) but still, it's an expected decision in a way, which is why that particular game was selected in the first place: it was an odd and controversial choice on purpose.

I would go so far as to say some of the tantrums from patrons over the decision were rather more performative than sincere.

When two legends meet.

84ipLPw.png

omg! what even! where and when

E3 2011. The video is floating around out there somewhere. I think it was on the fan reddit at one point.

Ryan booked me for it. It was a total PR stunt for YooStar with a bizarre media circus as photographers took photos from outside of the glass box we were in. It was a shared interview and their PR people kept pressing me to ask about his most recent album, which he then shot down on camera. All in good fun either way.

I thought Brandon was the one greasing the palms both in front of camera and outside of the spotlight, but here comes Blood with the greasiest palms of them all :O

Relax man. He already said he thinks them playing a game one of them made is a conflict of interest. I don't agree, but it's not a complicated point to understand. I don't understand why you flipped out and called him a gamer gator or keep demanding he explain it more.
I don't like wild accusations, thrown in there hiding under the noise of everyone else trying to have a discussion. I don't like to be trolled. I said I was sorry I implied he sounded like a gamergator, and I asked for the same transparency. That's my understanding of what L&R is: you disagree but you are open to listen to an opinion you disagree with. I got a dictionary definition of his same nonsense.
If you mean that I need to grow a thicker skin and learn on use the ignore list on GAF, sure you're right. Sorry to everybody for the heated posts, they don't belong here.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Howdy folks, so I'm the student who is writing about the mechanical/psychological impact of the Blue Shell in Mario Kart, I'd be very interested in hearing people's opinions on the shell itself. I'll likely post a thread in it's own right when my research is further along, but in the meantime I'm just gathering people's thoughts to help direct the paper.

It's a little more mechanic-centric than I let on in L&R because I didn't want to bog down the question. Basically I'm assuming the Blue Shell doesn't really have a massive impact on the race outcome, and as such, isn't beneficial to players, hence why "nobody actually likes it". The Allies on the podcast gave me a lot of food for thought, but I can always use more, please let me know your thoughts :)

Karu

Howdy folks, so I'm the student who is writing about the mechanical/psychological impact of the Blue Shell in Mario Kart, I'd be very interested in hearing people's opinions on the shell itself. I'll likely post a thread in it's own right when my research is further along, but in the meantime I'm just gathering people's thoughts to help direct the paper.

It's a little more mechanic-centric than I let on in L&R because I didn't want to bog down the question. Basically I'm assuming the Blue Shell doesn't really have a massive impact on the race outcome, and as such, isn't beneficial to players, hence why "nobody actually likes it". The Allies on the podcast gave me a lot of food for thought, but I can always use more, please let me know your thoughts :)
Since playing my first Mario Kart in ages with 8 Deluxe a few month back, I have a few thoughts, but I doubt they are very coherent, so bear with me.

+ The most impact, no matter which rank I have, is done when I am playing couch co-op and the blue shell hits a friend of mine. In that situation it doesn't matter what benefits I get for myself ingame, the joy of watching a friend fume with rage is potentially enough.

+ In any other race... it depends and is highly situational. I mean, you could just keep playing while leaving your blue shell untouched until you are in a much better situation. (e.g. you get it at rank 8, but wait to fire until you're rank 3 or 4). Add the risk/reward situation onto that, because you might loose it before you get to fire it (Boo, hit by another shell/star/whatever)

+ the impact of the blue shell might be situational, but overall there are worse alternatives to get item-wise, so even though it might benefit me less immediately there are probably even less satisfying items in the que. (Though, as a disclaimer, I am not aware of the item charts/rarity per rank)

--> Overall I am not sure I like the item, there is probably a reason the original Super Mario Kart is still my favourite, but I wouldn't say the blue shell has no impact at all, it's just that - and I may repeat myself at this point :D - highly situational - as pretty much with any Mario Kart item.

Another factor to consider though, might be the psychological effect on the player who's currently first place. It's terrifying. :D

The group stream decision makes sense to me. I hope no one's losing any sleep over it.

Either way, I finally caught back up with Tabletop Escapades. A lot of metaphorical fuses have been lit in the past few episodes, and I'm eager to see in which ways they explode.

84ipLPw.png

probably the happiest photo ever of a crip and a blood standing together.
10/10.

Another factor to consider though, might be the psychological effect on the player who's currently first place. It's terrifying. :D
That's certainly the effect it has on me. I usually prefer to stick in second place for the first few laps. When I play against others who have similar ideas, the natural result is that we mostly stay close to each other as a pack, which makes the crummy items you do get in front more valuable.

ToonLink

I don't get the blue shell often, but I have to say, there's no better feeling than being in second place and seeing that blue shell obliterate the person in front of you and then swiftly overtaking them. :^)

One aspect regarding the blue shell is to consider the time frame when it was implemented. It arrived when the only form of multiplayer in MK was local and thus a player that used the blue shell would know they player getting hit (as the AI in my experiences would rarely dominate in 1st place) and thus making it more rewarding.

muteki

I prefer the blue shell when it only benefits the player throwing it (by taking out more than just first place). Otherwise it is as if the player in 2nd place is given an equal amount of value as the player in 8th who is throwing it, when a player in 2nd place would hardly ever (never?) get a blue shell out of a box on their own.

I don't mind the blue shell that much though, compared to other MK item-related issues.

WarRock

Being the first place, getting hit by a blue shell thrown by the 7th or 8th racer and finish in 2nd or 3rd is the fucking worst and makes me question why the blue shell exists every time. 2nd/3rd didn't best me, and 7th/8th didn't benefit from it. So, what's the point? Randomizing who gets first?

Re: Podcast loot box discussion

I'm not someone who likes to see games fail. But I certainly am changing my mind. Wouldn't mind seeing some of these games with predatory schemes just utterly flop. In fact, I hope they do and soon.

Kneefoil

Being the first place, getting hit by a blue shell thrown by the 7th or 8th racer and finish in 2nd or 3rd is the fucking worst and makes me question why the blue shell exists every time. 2nd/3rd didn't best me, and 7th/8th didn't benefit from it. So, what's the point? Randomizing who gets first?
You're talking about a case where someone gets a blue shell at the end of the race, which is less common than when someone gets it in the middle of one. The point is that while the blue shell won't help the guy on the 6th place get to number one, it prevents the people in the lead from getting too far ahead, and in conjunction with other items, it will ultimately help the people in lower placements rise to the top.

I do agree that the blue shell can be infuriating, especially when racing against the AI, and trying to get 3 stars in a cup in MK8. While I do prefer more skill based racers, even when it comes to MK style party games (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is my favourite party racer), I do feel like the blue shell makes multiplayer in Mario Kart games better. Blocking incoming shots in MK when in first place is usually so easy. It's not like it's completely unavoidable either: you can destroy it with the Super Horn, or dodge it with a well timed boost, if you're skilled enough (and you have enough space for it).

Just finished the last Tabletop Escapades and er... oof that was rough to watch. Ben throwing line after line for characters that are working real hard to kill themselves here. Not sure how I'm going to feel if they manage to somehow defeat BigBadSpoilers
The Dragonlord

Auctopus

Couldn't see anything on the site but I'm guessing Blood will be doing a GT: Sport review? How much of a fan of GT have you been in the past, Blood?

I remember you not vibing with Driveclub that much and falling off the game a bit when it started to really get supported. Not that they're particularly similar, it's just DC was my favourite racing game in a long while.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the last Tabletop Escapades and er... oof that was rough to watch. Ben throwing line after line for characters that are working real hard to kill themselves here. Not sure how I'm going to feel if they manage to somehow defeat BigBadSpoilers
The Dragonlord

Seriously, Ben has given them miles and miles of rope, and all they've done is gone and found the biggest tree they possibly could to hang themselves from.

I could see Pomper getting out of it through Shounen Protagonist Powers, and Necator and Therese have at least been fairly smart about things, but Fame has to be toast. She should be eating a thousand eldritch blasts.

Couldn't see anything on the site but I'm guessing Blood will be doing a GT: Sport review? How much of a fan of GT have you been in the past, Blood?

I remember you not vibing with Driveclub that much and falling off the game a bit when it started to really get supported. Not that they're particularly similar, it's just DC was my favourite racing game in a long while.

I've tended to lean towards Forza over GT in the past, but they've been fairly neck and neck to me with different strengths. I need to wrap up my review for FM7 since I expect GT to get here anytime now.

As for Driveclub, I actually was one of the higher reviews. I really enjoyed that game, and it sucked that the online issues killed the momentum. I "drop off" of pretty much any racing game not too long after review, often even when I intend to keep playing. As I much as I like them, they don't usually have as much pull as other games on my backlog.

Visceir

The Dragonlord

Tried to watch it twice, but still haven't managed to finish the last episode. I'm so ready for this scenario/story to end and it feels like so are they.

The lack of any kind of map or established surrounding is becoming a bigger issue with each episode as all the players seem to have their own idea of what's going on...which results in all kinds of dumb moves and actions. Ian's "I talk into everyone's head, cast silent image and have my raven scout" got annoying 30 episodes ago.

Auctopus

I've tended to lean towards Forza over GT in the past, but they've been fairly neck and neck to me with different strengths. I need to wrap up my review for FM7 since I expect GT to get here anytime now.

As for Driveclub, I actually was one of the higher reviews. I really enjoyed that game, and it sucked that the online issues killed the momentum. I "drop off" of pretty much any racing game not too long after review, often even when I intend to keep playing. As I much as I like them, they don't usually have as much pull as other games on my backlog.

That’s fair. I’ve never actually played Forza but haven’t properly got in to a GT since ‘3: A-Spec’ - the series feels so sterile now but there were some moments I enjoyed from the beta.

Looking forward to your review!

FWIW, Driveclub was supported superbly post launch with several free and season pass cars added as well as about a dozen more tracks. It’s a shame Shu has a thing against UK development :(

WarRock

You're talking about a case where someone gets a blue shell at the end of the race, which is less common than when someone gets it in the middle of one. The point is that while the blue shell won't help the guy on the 6th place get to number one, it prevents the people in the lead from getting too far ahead, and in conjunction with other items, it will ultimately help the people in lower placements rise to the top.
Well, I am, because that's how I experienced the blue shell most of the time I played MK 64 and GBA. I barely remember it in the DS game, and I never played the Wii/GC/Wii U games.

Even when playing with 3-4 people, in my experience the blue shell did nothing to help someone from the 6-8th places to reach the top 3, it only shuffled the first 2, sometimes 3, positions.

LycanXIII

Seriously, Ben has given them miles and miles of rope, and all they've done is gone and found the biggest tree they possibly could to hang themselves from.

I could see Pomper getting out of it through Shounen Protagonist Powers, and Necator and Therese have at least been fairly smart about things, but Fame has to be toast. She should be eating a thousand eldritch blasts.
To be fair,
Fame is just a character Kyle made to finish the arc with. Unless she survives and Kyle likes her enough to continue,
I guess.

Top Bottom