• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Kinan

OK, since bits of info get burried in a huge FW1.80 thread, I decided to make a new thread where I will update the first post regularly with new info.
So, short notes first.

DLNA is an industry standard for media (audio,video, photo) sharing within concept of a digital home and is supported by many hardware and software manufacturers. As of FW1.80, DLNA is supported by Playstation 3 entertainment system. PS3 takes a role of DLNA Player, not DLNA server, so it can play a content of any DLNA server (source) in you digital home, but can not stream the content to other players within DLNA protocols. (Remote connect to PSP is using proprietary protocols)

What it means is that you have to have a DLNA server installed, either hardware (like some HDD storages, DVRs or set-top boxes) or as a software on your PC.

The latter is most interesting for majority of us, since DLNA certified CE equipment is not that widespread yet.

Your options for the software naturally depends on your operating system. DLNA is an open protocol based on UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) and therefore can work on any operating system. So far we found a reasonably good solution only for Windows OSes, so I'll start with it.

Windows

Windows Media Player 11

If you are running Windows Vista you have a very simple way to enable the sharing through Windows Media Player 11. If you search in Media Sharing Tab
sharemediahowto_mediasharing_F1.gif

you can spot a new unknown device you can share media to:

6ujlx1c.png

If you don't see the device, the chances are that a)you have a firewall blocking WMP11 media sharing b) there is some port conflicts between ps3 and your home network. Disable firewall to check if its a), or restart your PS3 (or disable and enable back media sharing in XMB under Network Settings). After each reboot PS3 will use different set of ports for media sharing, so eventually you should be able to get PC and PS3 see each other. The same also applies to a similar problem with other software.

But most users should see the unknown device in media sharing right away. Allow sharing to it and go to your PS3. Now, after 1.80 the new icon appeared in Music/Video and Photo bars, called Search for Media Servers. Click it and
if you are lucky :p
, a Vista media server icon will appear just under it. Now you can click on it and navigate through you WMP11 library direct in XMB!

6tmt3i9.jpg

Moreover, hit triangle on your video file and you can copy it over to PS3 without hassle!

According to Microsoft, it should also work for WMP11 under XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/mp11/sharemedia.aspx
If you have a problem with it under XP, try to manually enable UPnP service. For this do the following:

Click Start
Click Programs
Click Administrative Tools
Click Services
Scroll down to Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Double click Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Set the Startup type to Automatic and click the Start button in that window to start the service
If you don't see the Administrative Tools in the Programs you will need to right mouse click down in your taskbar and go to Properties, from there click the Start Menu tab and click the Customize... button, just check Display Administrative Tools and then click OK.

So, WMP11 sounds good, right? Its not that perfect however, since you will be only play video and music files that are supported by PS3, and in some cases not even all of them. And that limits you to MP2, MP4, and since 2.10, most of DivX encoded files (and some Xvids without some advanced features).

The only solution here is transcoding, which is basically on-fly recoding of source video/audio to target video/audio.

One of the best transcoding programs for Windows is

Nero MediaHome,

which is a part of Nero Digital Pro package: http://www.nero.com/eng/Upgrade_to_Nero_Digital_Pro.html

Thanks to mingeeta@PS3forums we have a quick tutorial for setting it up.

Turn your PS3 on and login, and leave it on your XMB

Run a file in Nero Showtime to unblock the firewall that pops up and ALLOW.

Run Nero MediaHome

On the left are a set of Icons.

Heres a quick setup:

SHARED DIRECTORIES > Click ADD SHARE and browse to a single shared directory for now, as it takes time to add the details, so dont go adding gazillions of media files for now.

OPTIONS: I left them at default for now, but they are self explanatory. Automatically start media home when pc is switched on is a good one to tick up, but leave it off for now till you get it going.

NETWORK: Click the box for your ethernet card on your PC. Leave port number and network name at default for now

DEVICES: Click UPnP/1.0 line and click ALLOW ACCESS box

TRANSCODING: Leave on auto detect as it will talk to the ps3 and see what it can and cant play and come up with a solution after a few seconds.
814mb2g.gif

TV: Set up your tv card here

STATUS: Click this ICON and you will be able to see whats going on

then click START SERVER at the bottom, and you wait a few moments. Go back to PS3 and it should show the Nero Media Home Icon. Browse as normal for your video files.

At first if you have loads of files in your shared directories it can cause the ps3 playback to come back out to the XMB. Just give Media Home some time to update the directory listings, then it will be silky smooth.

It was tested at a decent PC for SD avi files only so far, and they work fine. You might have issues if you have an old pc, as the transcoding can take up resources.

If you cant see any media on your PS3 after doing all this, try following:

Turn off the server and go to TOOLS - NERO SCOUT - INDEXING - FOLDERS and select the folders you want there. Then go back to the INDEXING tab and click INDEX NOW - this may take a while to do, if you have huge amounts of files, so as before just to get it working. When its done go to SHARED DIRECTORIES ICON in nero media home and select SHARE ALL CONTENT INDEXED BY NERO SCOUT

As it seems now it works quite fine for SD content, but stutters/fails at HD files, which is not surprising, giving the needed processor power for on-fly HD conversion.
If you have a problem with full version of Nero MediaHome within Nero 7 or Nero Digital Pro packages, you can try Nero MediaHome CE, which is using code optimized for consumer electronics devices: http://www.nero.com/nerodigital/eng/download.php
Its smaller, faster and seems to produce good streaming results. It also smart enough to stream HD mp4 files without transcoding to PS3. Drawback is that you don't get automatic thumbnails with it, as far as I can see.

Twonky Vision Media Center

For native HD MPEG2 files people are getting good streaming results with twonky vision media center http://www.twonkyvision.com/. Also it supports album art and they are consistently ironing out PS3-related issues. For best result get latest beta version (4.4.4):

http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/TwonkyMedia/index-beta.html

Reported to work:
- MP3 playback and album art
- AVC playback
- AVI playback
- MP4 playback
- MPG playback
- WMV playback

Downside of both Nero and Twonky Vision MC is that they cost money (Twonky has 30days trial). There is however, good free alternative for PC users:

TVersity

This software support both native streaming of divx, mp4, mp2 files and on-the-fly conversion of basically all others. Constant updates and bugfixing made it very popular among PS3 community, you can get the latest version ( 0.9.11.4 as of 8-01-08) here: http://tversity.com/download/ with 2.10 firmware support and unique features like Transcode settings at the file/folder/url level and optional menu hierarchy for folders.

Installation now suggest you to install a codec pack and I strongly recommend you to do so, unless you are really understand what you need to install for both transcoding and streaming to work flawlessly.

Tversity Tips said:
If after the installation of TVersity AND codec pack you still get unsupported type of error, consider downloading Graphedt.exe:
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_graphedit_141.html
It will show you in detail whats going on with your video and were the problem is. If this program plays your video on PC fine, but not on PS3, then you have an access/permission somewhere. One of the common problems - running tversity media server service not under account with administration rights. To check it do the following - stop sharing in tversity. Go to tversity folder and run "mediaserver.exe -debug" . Try again if you can stream. If you do - set your mediaserver service to use admin logon (its under administration tools/services/).
admintools.jpg

If you still fail - its a firewall/router problem then. As reported in this thread, some were able to get it working by disabling windows media network sharing service on firewall.
Still have problems? Make sure you have ffdshow doing decoding for you, not other codecs. Easiest way is to check the settings of ffdshow and set it as a default decoder for all formats. It is also asked in the end of ffdshow installation. If you still cant get transcoding working, or have tversity crashes every time you try avi, you'll most likely need to remove all codecs, and reinstall only ffdshow. Can be tedious.
Once you get basic avi streaming working, you can try to install additional filters to increase performance or add additional formats. Here is what recommended by tversity guys:

* ffdshow - for MPEG2/4, H.264, Divx, Xvid, AAC, FLAC, Vorbis, FLV, and many more
* Haali Media Splitter - for better MP4 and H.264 support and for OGG/OGM and Matroska.
* Real Alternative - for Real audio and video.
* Quicktime Alternative - for MOV.
* MP4 Source/Splitter* - for better MOV support.
* FLV Splitter* - required for FLV playback (a more recent version with support for FLV4/VP62 is here - courtesy of videohelp.com).
* AC3 Filter - recommended for better AC3 support (in which case AC3 should be disabled in ffdshow).

But only get into it when you get your basic playback working.

By default, TVersity recodes everything not supported by PS3 to MPEG1, dont be surprised. MPEG2 and 4 much more demanding in terms of PC power for recoding. If you think your PC can handle it, you can change the recoding to mpeg2.

Another handy tip, if you want to change the name of the server when you view it on your PS3, do this:
Just find the UPNP_AV_MediaServer_1.0.allservices.xml
file in the install directory, open it with an HTML editor (or notepad) and edit the line near the top that reads:
<friendlyName>${HOSTNAME} : TVersity Media Server</friendlyName>

Just change the part that reads TVersity Media Server and nothing else.
You may also need to change it in the UPNP_AV_MediaServer_1.0.default.xml file as well.

Other options:

There are also a bunch of freeware UPnP software that should allow streaming to PS3 as well, such as:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gmediaserver/
http://ushare.geexbox.org/
Mediatomb
http://www.cybergarage.org/net/cmgate/cc/index.html

You can look at them if you have enough free time and some skills. Most of them can also be compiled to Mac or Linux, but I wouldnt try to do it without massive amount of free time. :)

Mac OS X

Mac users also have a number of options.

Firstly, mentioned above Twonky Vision Media Center has OS X version available, and you can give it a try.

Exclusive :) to Mac systems is EyeConnect software

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyeconnect

both have 30days free trials, so its plenty of time to try.

Medialink (ConnectPS3)

Finally, people behind hugely popular Connect360 released PS3 DLNA software called Medialink. Get it here http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/medialink, first users reports are quite positive. Promised are itunes and iPhoto integration, HD streaming and album art. Costs 20$.

According to this thread, best free option Mac users have is Mediat0mb software. Also Fuppes reported to work but both require some fiddling with files and installation.

FUPPES Installation Tips said:
Unfortunately there is no install yet for OsX version, so you got to go through a compilation procedure:

First, you will need Xcode developer tool set installed : http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/ . To install necessary dependencies you will also need to install MacPorts (http://www.macports.org/)
Absolutely necessary packages to install:

PCRE Library
Pkg - config
Libxml2 Library
SQLite3

Also recommended to install:
UUID Library (ossp-uuid)
TagLib
ImageMagick
Ffmepg

If you want transcoding add to this:

LAME
Vorbis (libvorbis)
Libmpcdec

So, after you get macports installed, open terminal (Terminal.app located in the Utilities folder) and type the following:

$ Sudo port
Password:

Entering interactive mode... Entering interactive mode ... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit) ( "Help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[Users/xSeth] > install pcre
[Users/xSeth] > install pkgconfig
[Users/xSeth] > install libxml2
[Users/xSeth] > install SQLite3
[Users/xSeth] > install ffmepeg
[Users/xSeth] > install ossp-uuid
...and so on until you get all above mentioned packages installed.

To find the package to install in Macports you can use search command
[Users/xSeth] > search pcre
etc.

Once everything is installed you can install fuppes. Open terminal and type

$ sudo svn co http://fuppes-svn.ulrich-voelkel.de/trunk fuppes
Password:
$ cd fuppes/
$ autoreconf -vfi
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

Thats it, after install is completed you can run Fuppes typing in terminal:

$ / Usr / local / bin / fuppes
FUPPES
the Free UPnP Entertainment Service
http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de

no vfolder.cfg file available
webinterface: http://x.x.x.x:50865

r = rebuild database
i = print system info
h = print help

press "ctrl-c" or "q" to quit

Or with / usr / local / bin / fuppesd for launch daemon (background).

When Fuppes is running you can configure is through webinterface. Just type in your browser: http://localhost:50865

There you can set what files to share and whatnot.

Linux

Linux users normally advanced enough to know more about it than me, I will not elaborate here. Freeware programs posted about + twonky media server should be usable. Mediatomb again seems to be program of choice, they released patch in July 2007 that made streaming to PS3 possible under Unix and OS X. Read more on the matter here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6570624&postcount=440. Fuppes (see above) also works fine.

Embedded devices

Many modern NAS devices with DLNA support have a possibility to upgrade DLNA streaming software. If you have one of them and you are having problem with DLNA streaming to PS3, check if you can install latest version of Twonky Vision Media Server (supported devices)or Mediatomb(supported devices) on it.

General tips

At the end, as a general note, most common mistakes so far:

1) firewall (either PC firewall or in router) blocking a media server program (thats when you cant find a media server after search on your PS3)
2)you are looking for video files in Music tab of XMB. :) Though sometimes they may be there, but its a bug. DLNA normally should take care that you see videos only under video tab and pics under Photo. .)
3) you are trying to run more than one media server on your PC. Some of them are using same ports on default, so you should either have only one active at a time, or configure them to different ports manually.
4) If you are getting "unsupported type" error when you try to stream a file, chances are that it is a file that is not supported by PS3 ;). This most often can happen with xvid encoded files. To check it this is the case, just copy the file over to PS3 and try to play directly on it.

theBishop

Banned
I've had my PS3 recognize my linux media server using MediaTomb, Ushare, and Gmediaserver. In all 3 cases, PS3 recognizes the folder structure, but when it gets to actual files, they are either Unrecognized formats or the transfer fails.

Oni Jazar

Remember you have to be in the proper folder (Photo, Music, Video) to see the proper files. Don't be a dummy like I was the first time. ;)

Mau ®

Thank U so much for this Kinan! I really needed it. Its actually quite easy using Vista. I already set up my PS3 with my VAIO laptop. YAY!

I can also see my neighbors network with my PS3. If only I was granted access I could see all their stuff. Oh the stories I could tell!! :lol

Mau ®

ManaByte said:
Anyone know how to do it on a Mac yet? Tried sharing on iTunes, but the PS3 can't see it.

Yeah I wonder how that would work. I wanna see my iTunes playlist on my PS3. I can only the Windows Media Playlist...

djkimothy

I think I'll try eyeConnect and Twonky (or whatever) later in the weekend. I'm more inclined to lean towards the solution that'll share my music.

Thanks for the thread!

rc213

I just Enabled UPnP A/V Media Server on my FreeNAS box and it shows up on the PS3. But I only get a connection to the media server could not be established error trying to see anything.

=\

Mmmkay

Okay so while the MediaHome transcoding is cool and all for most things, I've found it only really works at a lowish 2.7Mbps MPEG-2. What I'm currently doing is converting my xvid files with PS3Video9 using the "MPEG2 1080p 6Mbps Stereo/192kbps" profile (despite the name, it won't resize your video).

It's the solution I am most liking currently because it gets around two issues, the first is that it gives much better bitrates than the default transcode profile (I've had no luck with the high bitrate option in MediaHome), the second is that PS3Video9 converts the 5.1 audio in my xvid files to a proper downmixed stereo. MediaHome doesn't do this correctly or well, so in my case when the files to be transcoded have ac3 audio, I get out of sync and very low volume audio.

Flo_Evans

WMP11 works great for me (I need to re-encode some video) but photos and mp3s no problems.

I think I might try nero tonight so I don't have to recode all my movies.

I wish there was a way to have it just display the relevent media type under each XMB icon instead of everything... is that controlled by the server or the PS3?

Also: the search for media server icon is fugly... bury that sucker in settings plz :D

rc213

Mmmkay said:
Okay so while the MediaHome transcoding is cool and all for most things, I've found it only really works at a lowish 2.7Mbps MPEG-2. What I'm currently doing is converting my xvid files with PS3Video9 using the "MPEG2 1080p 6Mbps Stereo/192kbps" profile (despite the name, it won't resize your video).

It's the solution I am most liking currently because it gets around two issues, the first is that it gives much better bitrates than the default transcode profile (I've had no luck with the high bitrate option in MediaHome), the second is that PS3Video9 converts the 5.1 audio in my xvid files to a proper downmixed stereo. MediaHome doesn't do this correctly or well, so in my case when the files to be transcoded have ac3 audio, I get out of sync and very low volume audio.

How fast is the conversion? What size does a xvid/divx turn into after a conversion?

pr0cs

great thread, thanks for the info. I was hoping that the PS3 would be a lot less strict on formats supported and thus Sony and Microsoft would get in a war trying to support as many formats as possible but sadly this doesn't look to be the case..yet...
I'm still holding out though, with all the horsepower of the next-gen systems it is silly that they support so few formats.

Mmmkay

rc213 said:
How fast is the conversion? What size does a xvid/divx turn into after a conversion?
For the test I ran, I got double the file size and the process was done very quickly (I'm a lowly 2.8GHz P4) for a 1 minute clip. It was a 1 pass encode though, so I'm now trying a second attempt with a 40min video and with 2 pass encoding.

Dazzla

Little report. Setup is wired iMac and wireless PS3. EyeConnect shows everything as it should but I get permission errors when trying to actually view it. TwonyMedia works fine as long as I specify the network address of the iMac in the Twony settings (maybe because I have Parallels and 3 network addresses?).

Holding out for Connect360 (well, ConnectPS3 :p).

When playing MP3s via TwonkMedia it will pick up the structure of my iTunes library without problems but it won't display album art.

Of course there's no transcoding with either of these either.

Edit, I also seem to have lost all access to the Twonky settings page in my browser now, seems to have happened when I added the IP address of the server. Oh well :/

Edit again, if you change you network server IP in Twonky then you have to access it via that, e.g. my settings page is now 192.168.0.100:9000

White Man

I was playing around with this last night. I was using Vista, I had my folders properly shared, and on the PS3, I'd be able to navigate my directories, but every time I tried to play something, I'd get a pop up saying that it couldn't connect. My PS3 (and Vista PC) are both wired.

burnfout

Mac user here, using Twonky works fine for pics and music, videos is only Mpeg for now..

Everyone spam the Connect360 team for a PS3 version!! With divx support please!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I can see my whole iTunes collection now, with nice little thumbnail album art, such a shame I can't play it :( The sooner iTunes gets rid of DRM the better, I almost feel like backpedalling and going back to CDs only.

Also, should there be a lag between selecting a mp3 and it playing, with nero? It takes a few seconds to get going, not sure why this would be the case...some videos are faster than that.

Mmmkay

Okay, the 2 pass encode took just under 50 minutes for a 40 minute video. File size in was 700MB, file size out was 1.17GB. Playback on PS3 is fine, quality is great compared to the original, no noticeable desync so far, and this is all running over wireless. Wireless from my PC to the router and wireless from the router to my PS3.

gofreak said:
Also, should there be a lag between selecting a mp3 and it playing, with nero? It takes a few seconds to get going, not sure why this would be the case...some videos are faster than that.
Yeah Nero is really really slow for me changing and loading mp3's.

garrickk

Mmmkay said:
Okay, the 2 pass encode took just under 50 minutes for a 40 minute video. File size in was 700MB, file size out was 1.17GB. Playback on PS3 is fine, quality is great compared to the original, no noticeable desync so far, and this is all running over wireless. Wireless from my PC to the router and wireless from the router to my PS3.
Why were you encoding with MPEG2 instead of a MPEG4 class encoder (AVC -> MP4)? Also, the AAC audio codec for MP4 should be able to do 5.1. I haven't used any Video9 products so I'm out of the loop.

Vashu

Cool, I'll use some encoding software to continue watching Bleach starting next week. I keep saying it, this stuff is awesome. Wish I had a PSP now, so I could do some stuff from work (provided I could get an internet connection here at work).

Mmmkay

garrickk said:
Why were you encoding with MPEG2 instead of a MPEG4 class encoder (AVC -> MP4)? Also, the AAC audio codec for MP4 should be able to do 5.1. I haven't used any Video9 products so I'm out of the loop.
The PS3 DLNA client won't recognise AVC files at the moment it seems. Plus encoding to AVC takes about a billion hours compared to MPEG-2 and the source quality isn't worth the hassle. There are no 5.1 options for audio in PS3Video9 so I couldn't try it, but even though the XMB can recognise 5.1 audio, it doesn't handle it properly and just passes out the left and center channels going by what I've read.

bluheim

Banned
burnfout said:
Everyone spam the Connect360 team for a PS3 version!! With divx support please!

Already done 4 hours ago. :D

Seriously, there is an incredible lack of uPNP support on MacOS platform, mainly due to the fact that Apple doesn't support it at all. It wouls be so perfect if both iTunes and iPhoto were able to share their content via uPNP.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm using nero7 w/ mediahome (windows xp). I can get it to see the ps3, plays images fine, music fine, but I have problems with video.

mp4 videos work fine (like the playsyde videos), wmv and avi/xvid files show up (even with icons) but it says access denied or something when I try to play them.

I followed the tutorial word for word. Same settings. Maybe it's the speed of my laptop (old 2.2ghz Mobile Pentium).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gofreak said:
Try changing the music transcoding option from "automatic" to "don't transcode" maybe? If your music collection is all MP3, Nero is probably just wasting time pinging PS3 with tests trying to determine if the file can be played before it actually starts playing it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Marconelly said:
Try changing the music transcoding option from "automatic" to "don't transcode" maybe? If your music collection is all MP3, Nero is probably just wasting time pinging PS3 with tests trying to determine if the file can be played before it actually starts playing it.

Tried that, tried setting it to "keep the original format", but there's still the same startup delay.

I did notice one unrelated thing, though..if I go into the "by artist" folder, it only shows me those mp3s I can play on my PS3, which is kind of handy. If I got to look at all music, it shows me all my itunes stuff which I can't access.

I'll look around to see if there's any other settings that might improve the startup time..it's not a BIG deal, but I don't see why it couldn't be instantaneous.

Mmmkay

Bad_Boy said:
mp4 videos work fine (like the playsyde videos), wmv and avi/xvid files show up (even with icons) but it says access denied or something when I try to play them.
When you press select while it's playing does it say AVC in the top right? I assume you've got it set to automatic, but I'm curious whether it's just transcoding it to MPEG. I've not tried much with AVC media so I'll have a go with some Playsyde stuff too.

You'll get access denied messages when the transcode application tries to convert a file format it doesn't recognise or can't handle. I had that problem with some High Profile 5.1 AVC media in my directory. It would generate the thumbnail but crash the transcode app and then it would prevent the server from sending any more media.

Mmmkay

Okay, the PS3 DLNA client definitely does accept and stream properly encoded H.264 content. I tried with the Heavenly Sword Gamer's Day trailer from Playsyde. The only problem is that the streaming was really poor, it was buffering like crazy. That may be because there is a huge bitrate variance in the video, but also the PS3 client registered the file bitrate as being 160Mbps! Something odd there.

I should point out my settings for MediaHome are to keep the original format, so it wasn't transcoding the file on my PC to any other format while sending it.

[edit]
In case it's the encode profile which is being the issue, here's what the Heavenly Sword video was set at:
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 1280 x 720 - Profile Main @ Level 3.2

Lain

Mmmkay said:
The PS3 DLNA client won't recognise AVC files at the moment it seems. Plus encoding to AVC takes about a billion hours compared to MPEG-2 and the source quality isn't worth the hassle. There are no 5.1 options for audio in PS3Video9 so I couldn't try it, but even though the XMB can recognise 5.1 audio, it doesn't handle it properly and just passes out the left and center channels going by what I've read.

With WMP11 my PS3 recognizes and plays AVC encoded files (it didn't play them with TwonkyMedia). I made an AVC encode myself from an old Odin Sphere Trailer and it worked (I was even able to copy it over as well, something that I couldn't do with TwonkyMedia).
BUT you have to encode with main profile and level 4.1 (and AAC audio) or naturally the PS3 won't support it, as PS3 doesn't support AVC encodes on high profile and any level higher than 4.1 and even some of the lower levels give it problems (that's why most of the MP4s wont play on it).

Mmmkay

Cool, I'm slowly getting up to speed on it all. There have been a lot of incorrect things said about the PS3's DLNA client today, seems most of it came from server issues. I'm currently re-encoding that Heavenly Sword trailer to see if I can get it streaming better. Whatever it was originally encoded to is probably confusing the DLNA streaming buffer.

[edit]The re-encode was fine. Done in PS3Video9 with an ABR of 6Mbps, it streamed much better. Well except for the part where the bitrate went up to 18Mbps... but I'm on wireless so it was destined to crap out there. Still, all went pretty well and it seems the problem was with the initial encode.

Only problem now is that it took pretty much the same amount of time to encode 1 minute of AVC footage as it did 40 minutes of MPEG-2.

Norse

Any Vista users change the default workgroup name and still seeing ps3? For some odd reason in vista premium I can see the 360 but the ps3 doesnt show up in media player 11 like in this shot.
ps3-media-stream-windows.png

All are wired to same router and ps3 sees no media servers but 360 works fine. The name of my workgroup wouldnt have any effect on this, right? I mean it shouldnt.

Also, those with vista and things working fine, what routers are you all using? Thanks.

Porkepik

Well I played a little bit (about 5 hours ) this morning to make it work and here are the results for me:

WMP11 on windows XP, works fine and very fast for MP3 and pictures, as soon I downloaded the upgrade and allowed the sharing on my PC, it worked right away. Downside, can only play MPEG2 videos. No luck with any other video format.

Mediahome: Had to play a little bit with it, works but slower access to the files for music and picture (I should remove the autoconvert option, should be fine)
On the video side, I'm able to view WMV and AVI/DIVX files as long they are NTSC encoded. When I try to play AVI Pal files (24fps) the connection or conversion does not work and the PS3 state a media not allowed type of error.

I also think my PC is just at the limit for transcoding on the fly(some stutters,...) It's a 4 year old Athlon xp2600+, too bad Mediahome does not (i think ) use my NVIDIA 7600gs to help for the encoding.

Does anyone succeeded to play PAL AVI/DIVX (23-24 FPS) files on an NTSC PS3.
I think that is also maybe the case for some of your errors maybe PAL from NTSC does not work either. Mediahome states that it can reencode in ntsc but even checking this option does not make it work. The other possibility is it cannot recocnize my AVI pal files . So it seems I will have to keep my DVD player a little bit longer (plays PAL Divx files without any problem once burned on a dvd)

I have to say I much prefer the XMB/DNLA options than the X360 user interface options. I fact I prefer much more the XMB than the 360 menus, much more clean. I will use the PS3 to display my pictures and MP3 in my living room from now on(was using the 360 since I bought it)

Raist

Banned
Holy crap, I've just launched Windows Media Connect on my PC and it popped in my PS3's XMB D:

Too like 30 secs to allow it under WMC, and my firewall, and works like a charm. Streaming MP3's to the PS3 and playing on my dolby setup is teh nice ! THe various folders (artist, genre etc) are really nice. That's just awesome :D

Works for images too.

Haven't tried for videos yet. Only mpeg2 and mpeg4 work ?

So I don't know if WMC comes automatically with WinXP, it was preinstalled on my comp. So if you guys have it, it works perfectly =)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Everything went ok (using WMP11 on WinXP though), but PS3 gives me this msg: "Access to Media Server is not allowed. It is possible that the system name for this PS3 has not been registered."

Any tips? Wireless connection through a router of course.

Raist

Banned
I got the same thing using windows media connect. Resolved it by going in the WMC interface, click on the new "unknown peripheral", and allowed it. I also rebooted the search for media server function on the PS3 and it worked. Dunno if it's necessary but it wouldn't hurt.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raist said:
I got the same thing using windows media connect. Resolved it by going in the WMC interface, click on the new "unknown peripheral", and allowed it. I also rebooted the search for media server function on the PS3 and it worked. Dunno if it's necessary but it wouldn't hurt.

Nice! Worked like a charm!

Raist

Banned
Ok, I've just tried with nero mediahome. Photos and music works perfectly (although it's a bit slower to go through the files than with WMC) but I can't get video transcoding working. I've let the sets on autodetect, the videos appear on my PS3 as mpeg2 videos. If I try to run one on my PS3, the server status in Nero gets updated (showing the device, % done etc) it freezes like 20secs, and then my PS3 says it can't read the video, with some error code 8000smething. :(

Note that I don't have a "Devices" menu above transcoding in Nero, so I don't know how to allow UPnP.

Any idea ? :/

Kinan

Raist said:
Ok, I've just tried with nero mediahome. Photos and music works perfectly (although it's a bit slower to go through the files than with WMC) but I can't get video transcoding working. I've let the sets on autodetect, the videos appear on my PS3 as mpeg2 videos. If I try to run one on my PS3, the server status in Nero gets updated (showing the device, % done etc) it freezes like 20secs, and then my PS3 says it can't read the video, with some error code 8000smething. :(

Note that I don't have a "Devices" menu above transcoding in Nero, so I don't know how to allow UPnP.

Any idea ? :/

Download latest version of Nero. it should be 7. previous versions do not have Devices tab.

Zoe

Kintaro said:
Everything went ok (using WMP11 on WinXP though), but PS3 gives me this msg: "Access to Media Server is not allowed. It is possible that the system name for this PS3 has not been registered."

Any tips? Wireless connection through a router of course.

Try rebooting the PS3 and possibly your server as well. That's what I was getting last night with the same setup.

Tried EyeConnect on a Mini Mac and it works fine. I didn't manage to play any playsyde's mp4 videos but mp3 and photos are ok.
Don't forget to open port 2170 in the firewall settings.

Does so have a better solution ?

Top Bottom