• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

Seems okay. $30 feels a bit steep.

There is a significant amount of worthwhile content in the full game:
Meta reasons to get the full version:
  • This game needs to sell well if we want more Puyo games to get localized.
  • Do you want the Tetris license to go back to Ubisoft for the next Tetris game? D:

Gameplay reasons to get the full version:
  • Online play - You can do ranked matches or play with your friends. I tried playing Puyo Puyo Tetris online with my switch tethered to my phone and the latency wasn't bad at all. You'll have solid netplay wherever you go.
  • Multi-switch play - The demo only lets you do multiplayer on one screen; on the full version, you can do multiplayer with multiple Switches. Useful if each person wants to play with their own Puyo skins in case of colorblindness or something (I haven't tried local play myself yet but I'm 99% sure you can do this).
  • Single Player practice modes - Marathon, Ultra, Sprint, Endless Fever, Endless Puyo Puyo, Endless Tiny Puyo
  • Fusion mode, Party mode, and Big Bang - these are all really fun and great for parties. You haven't experienced Puyo Puyo Tetris until you've suffered through the craziness of Fusion mode.
  • Different control schemes in Single player - I think the demo lets you choose a control scheme in multiplayer but not in single player.
  • Replay saving and sharing - You can save replays of your matches and share them online.
  • Matchmaking QOL options - You know how the demo kicks you back to the title screen after every match? In the full version, all you have to do is hit "Continue" if you want a rematch. The full game will also count how many sets each player wins.
  • Additional AI difficulty options - If you hold L when selecting a character, you can max out the AI difficulty (the CPU will start doing 6 to 10 chains against you). You can't do this in the demo.
  • Story mode - very challenging if you want to get 3 stars on every stage for 130% completion.
  • Option to turn off HD rumble
  • Ingame tutorials for Puyo Puyo, Tetris, and Fusion Mode.

Aesthetic reasons to get the full version:

I think I forgot some stuff... anyways, you are getting more than your money's worth if you buy the full version of Puyo Puyo Tetris. $30 is a steal. To put things into perspective, the original PS3 version was $60 with 30% of the current content cut out and sold as DLC lol

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Why no PS4 demo? Is there a mode in this game identical to Tetris Ultimate's battle? Also, is it possible to disable the "hold" function?

Presumably the same reason why there won't be an digital PS4 release in general, aka Tetris Company and/or Ubisoft fuckery.

Wow the english voices are so godawful that i am about to cancel my preorder if the game wont give me the option for original voices.

Anyone some info on that?

Dub-only.

I really like the English voices, to be honest. Can't wait to hear more of English Draco who, judging by gameplay footage, is much improved over her awful JPN voice.

I don't get this game. The Tetris part I'm familiar with, but the other stuff looks strange to me.

Is this a good and deep puzzle game, or are we talking Candy Crush type depth here?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So weirdly, matches are now only best of one round, instead of being two by default in the Japanese demo with the option to go up to three. If you go to that same menu on the English demo, it won't budge past one round.

Not...earth shattering or anything, but does mean you'll be booted back to the title screen to setup more often.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my Japanese demo then.

hiim_haz

Banned
I really liked what I played in the demo. I pre-ordered it because I had extra credit at EBGames, I was on the fence but now I'm pretty convinced. Swap mode is ridiculous, I love it.

Shoyz

I knew that the English voices would be inferior but was ready to accept its cheese-factor to support Puyo Puyo in the west.

That "SEGA! Tetris!" boot cringe. It's okay, it's okay..but then the moment I heard Sig's english voice has me teetering over the cancel preorder button, I just cannot believe it. The most nasally, obnoxious voice I've ever heard.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get this game. The Tetris part I'm familiar with, but the other stuff looks strange to me.

Is this a good and deep puzzle game, or are we talking Candy Crush type depth here?

There's not a falling block game that comes close to Puyo Puyo's depth. If anything, it seems like people have been having issues with how difficult Puyo is for complete newcomers. (Thankfully, there are tutorials both in-game and online that help in this regard!)

Miker

Deeper than you'll ever know. Puyo Puyo Tsu is a legendary competitive game up there with StarCraft Brood War, Street Fighter II, and CS 1.6. The core game hasn't changed since Tsu (2, the second game in the series) and it's still being played.

Anyway, I was gonna get salty about no PS4 demo, but I preordered the game the second it was available ($24 for retail PS4 copy, not bad!) so I can't really complain.

Good to know.

How many playthroughs you estimate before a newcomer understands how to play? Never played it before and I'm thinking of trying it out with my SO.

Dinjoralo

Holy crap, the english voices are bad. Seriously, I came in expecting them to not be as good, but this is just awful. There is no good reason for the original voices to not be included, only legal ones.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah so demo has no 3 win play.
No rumble
Terrible english voices.

Deleted English demo beter stick to the japan demo.

Puyo Puyo is a very, very deep competitive game. Matches occasionally get aired on Japanese broadcast TV, it's been a regular fixture at the Red Bull 5G esports competition, and a Japanese university research group has created machine learning algorithms to play the game.

NimbusD

Uh, is the AI set to be wayyyyy easier in the US version? I have trouble sometimes w the JP demo and this one I've demolished the AI every time even with handicap.

Also some BS that it's set to 1 round.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
bad take

gaoooooo

Compile literally had the woman who designed their instruction manuals voice Draco in Sun, and she was more bearable that Kaori Nazuka's shrieking. We'll have to agree to disagree on this lol

Good to know.

How many playthroughs you estimate before a newcomer understands how to play? Never played it before and I'm thinking of trying it out with my SO.

The basic rules are simple enough. The real challenge comes from learning how to set up significantly-damaging combos without mixing up colors. It's a lot more about long-term planning than most puzzle games, which are about performing a few basic setups really fast.

Shouldn't take more than a few games to get the basics down, but it'll take a while longer to have matches that don't drag on forever.

Uh, is the AI set to be wayyyyy easier in the US version? I have trouble sometimes w the JP demo and this one I've demolished the AI every time even with handicap.

The AI in both demos is super-easy compared to the AI in Puyo 20th. Hope they were toned down for demo purposes.

Compile literally had the woman who designed their instruction manuals voice Draco in Sun, and she was more bearable that Kaori Nazuka's shrieking. We'll have to agree to disagree on this lol

at least puyo chronicles gives her a much more plain change voice compared to tetris
if you pay for it

Rhapsody

Banned

Feels like some characters are easier than others? That or Sig is a jerk and just somehow kept giving me a rough time. (I also don't like the voice they went with for him in the US version)

Aww the cloud thing, fish, and scientist bear were my favorite characters and the VO is really disappointing. I'd still take bad voices over not being able to read menus though.

Stopdoor

Didn't know the game had a "classic" Puyo skin, brings me back to Robotnik's Bean Machine. Good stuff, even if I still suck at it.

XaosWolf

Super confusing that it was a single win and then back to title. Threw me for a second.

Couldn't they have just made the Alt Voices the Japanese ones? The JP version of PPT has alt voices as like robot versions of each character. Which sucks.

Buying the game either way but I already miss the JP voice for Dr Dog the Dog Doctor.

I actually liked the English voices. It was hard to bear some of the high pitched anime girl voices in the Japanese demo.

If you think the anime girl voices were hard to bear then you may not have tried a mascot vs mascot match.

GUGUGUUUUUUU~!! PIPIPIPIPIPIIIIIIIIIII~!!!

Safros

I actually liked the English voices. It was hard to bear some of the high pitched anime girl voices in the Japanese demo.

RedToad64

Nice to see that the demo finally made it over. However, I'll stick with the original until the game releases in North America for now.

Do we have the option for jap dubs?
This is legit the first time i actually cared.
Uh, "Jap" is a racial slur.

S2

Try the Tutorials. There's some in the game.

And Sega just uploaded some to their YT.

Thanks for posting these! It was an honor to help SEGA make these tutorials.

If you guys don't know anything about Puyo Puyo, then watch the Harassment video at least. I show how it's important to read your opponent's chain, predict what they'll do, and punish weak chaining builds. You'll appreciate how high level Puyo Puyo is played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVORkRFZt3I

Can you now preorder this game on amazon? I See gamestop has it for 40..Don't tell me it's gamestop exclusive,I rather buy it digitally then

Sterok

My Tetris skills must be rusty. I can usually barely beat the CPU with Tetris 1v1, but I'm dead in a free for all. Puyo I can sometimes manage a 1v1, but I've got no chance with 3 enemies. Game is mad fun though, so I'm definitely picking this up.

DeVeAn

My wife is using pro controller and she keeps hitting up on accident. I made her switch to joycons and it never happens. Weird. Must be the dpad in the pro controller. Is it just like that or I get a bad pro?

Personally probably fine, but a lot of people on here are quite Hyperbolic about the quality of the voicework in the English version, when their real issue is they just got used the the Japanese version.

Well, I mainly meant how they'll interpret his character. I have no issues with the dub, with the exception of Jay and Elle. They're so grating!

Top Bottom