• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard giving free copies of Mists to previous non-mists subscribers.

FdlN6nv.png

Found this in my e-mail this morning. It was for my wife's account who hasn't played since late Wrath. Checked my account page after this and it was already upgraded to Mists standard edition. Didn't have to activate anything. Not sure how many of these are being sent out and to who, but thought I'd share since I didn't see it mention anywhere.

(edit) To be clear, you don't have to renew your account to get it, if you see this e-mail the expansion has already been added and you can renew your account at any time afterwards to play it.

I heard MoP was really top notch.

But how's it to join so late on MoP ? You have to grind through all raids to be ready for WoD ? Or can you basically just level up and jump to WoD ?

Well, this is pretty unfair.

Wow... wonder what the difference is?

But how's it to join so late on MoP ? You have to grind through all raids to be ready for WoD ? Or can you basically just level up and jump to WoD ?

If you wanted to skip MoP you could entirely if you wanted since all versions of WoD come with a free boost to level 90 for 1 character. MoP is worth it just for the leveling content IMO if you have nothing better to do and $15 to spare for a month if you got this.

Berordn

Always the latter. Raid gear might give you a minor advantage early on, but you won't be taking any of it with you into the level 100 endgame. As long as you're level 90 on release night you can get started right away.

Staab

If other expansions from WoW are any indication :
gear is completely irrelevant because the first quests usually give you stuff that's equal or even better than the average raid gear of the previous expansion...

Hey they gave me the upgrade as well.

I was considering making a Draenei and playing Alliance since I was always horde in the past.

Something about returning to WoW though; it's a scary proposition.

ViciousDS

Banned
If you're paying a subscription, that shit should be free in the first place.

ditto.........so hard to get friends to play or join ya when they have to go through 5 expansions just to play with ya. This is why I switched to FFXIV.....the game is built so well for an mmorpg. Free expansions with new jobs, level sync makes partying so nice when your buddy wants to do a dungeon........WTF WoW has not implemented something along the lines of a mentor system blows my mind.

But yes, I no longer wish to buy expansions on top of sub models........My subscription fee is for content updates. Wasn't the Siege of Org like the last big content update for WoW? Which was released almost a year ago?

Free is for previous subscribers and 10$ is for those who never played?

I last played the game back in January, chances are it's because the second WoW account on my battle.net has Mists already activated, thought that the first would get it for free for resubscribing though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
No?

All your gear will be replaced with greens come 90-91.

Lvl 90 raiding gear(depending on your ilvl(LFR, normal, heroic)) will probably last you until lvl 95 blues. Haven't played the Beta, but that's how it was for me with previous expansions.

Bisnic

ditto.........so hard to get friends to play or join ya when they have to go through 5 expansions just to play with ya.

But... you don't have to buy each expansions seperately anymore. You buy the game (which include all previous expansions except the current one) and the most recent expansion and that's it.

ViciousDS

Banned
But... you don't have to buy each expansions seperately anymore. You buy the game (which include all previous expansions except the current one) and the most recent expansion and that's it.

Yes........it's that warchest thing....I remember my cousin picking it up, he was still bummed he had to pick up MoP lol, I mean we got to level 85 in a matter of a week.....and then its drop more money. Uh, I really miss the vanilla days where it actually took effort and FUN to level.

bengraven

Haven't subbed since 2011 and I found that my account is updated to include Mists. Have no idea where it happened because I swear I've tried to get the free copies and always missed the deals.

Berordn

They updated one of my warchest accounts from RAF leveling to MoP without sending me an email, so I guess they're more liberal in handing it out than they let on.

th4tguy

My wife and I both got free upgrades and gave it a shot over the weekend. We both came away feeling pretty not impressed and bored with it. Both of us have over a year played time for our main and a number of days for our alts. We used to love the game and we're pretty hardcore raiders. Seems like other games like wild star and ff xiv are doing more interesting things now. Maybe mop was just a lazy expansion. I don't really know but I probably won't be finding out. It's a crime what they did to the talent trees though.

It's the first time we truly felt like the game was showing its age.

Bisnic

Absolutely.

It's an expansion... it offer much more content than your regular content patch, which is free by the way.

Are the other MMOs expansions free and also offer tons of content, just like WoW's expansions? Or are these "expansions" just something similar to WoW content patches?

The older content should become free when the new expansion comes out. So newcomers only have to buy the latest game. Proves that Blizzard run the numbers and chose to milk existing audience rather than bring in new people.

Einbroch

Banned
Subscriber for four years. Bought every expansion up to Mists. Bought Diablo III, Starcraft II, etc.

No email. Even though I have no interest in returning, this hurts.

The older content should become free when the new expansion comes out. So newcomers only have to buy the latest game. Proves that Blizzard run the numbers and chose to milk existing audience rather than bring in new people.

... But this is exactly what Blizzard has been doing. If you purchase a base copy of WoW now, you get everything up to Cata and you'd only have to buy the current expansion (MoP). When WoD comes out, they'll likely add MoP to the basic package and anyone that doesn't have up to that point will get it.

Deadly

I noticed they upgraded me too but didn't get an email. I've never even subbed for the game, IIRC they gave me a free trial at some point.

Logash

I am struggling to decide if I should resub or not. I've been on and off for almost 8 years now and that type of time makes me feel like I should just drop it but blizz always finds a way to get me excited. Mist was a great expansion and a more Warcraft 3 like expansion with the things they learned from mist seems awesome... idk.

kurahador

Mist is only 10 buck now, no wonder.

They upgraded me to Cata for free back then. Seems like they're doing the same here.

Bisnic

... But this is exactly what Blizzard has been doing. If you purchase a base copy of WoW now, you get everything up to Cata and you'd only have to buy the current expansion (MoP). When WoD comes out, they'll likely add MoP to the basic package and anyone that doesn't have up to that point will get it.

Which just prove that people just love to spite Blizzard without even looking at the facts.

Lumine

Bah, I actually bought this a few months ago but still haven't played it. I'd rather wish I could transfer all my characters to a server that ain't dead for a lower price though.

Deilpo

Neo Member
They do this at the end of every expansion. The Battle Chest will include the last expansion and if your only new you only have to buy the latest one (i.e WoD)

Kortana

Neo Member
I haven't played since the MoP beta was out. I logged in today to see that I have already been upgraded. I guess beta testers got the game automatically.

I'm not sure if I want to start wasting my life on that game again. I got pretty addicted during the vanilla era. Luckily I wasn't much of a fan of the expansions after BC.

M4shy

Neo Member
Here's the thing. If you've been subbed in recent months then you're more than likely to have MoP anyway.
It's given to you for free, why complain - especially if you're not going to play it anyway.

Also there's probably specific conditions that need to be met in regards to your WoW licence to receive MoP for free or to get the $10 email.

Moofers

I got this email offer yesterday. I didn't buy Cataclysm, so I guess that'd be included with Mists if I re-subbed?

Thing is, I'm just not up for paying another $50 for Warlords when that comes out. I'm kind of done with WoW. I mean I love that game, but I have 4 consoles to play on, each with its own backlog of shit I need to play, and I've got like 3 PC games in the hopper as well. Truth be told I just dont need to spend any more money on games.

Plus we all know that when you're playing WoW (or any subscription game) you feel this obligation to play it all the time so you're not paying that sub for nothing. Its a vicious cycle.

Top Bottom