• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tricho

Glad i got tickets for my forth Glastonbury Festival.... a good occasion to give a farewell to the Island. It's been a pleasure.

Bye

NekoFever

You think the pound is going to hit parity with the dollar before the month is out? I wouldn't be surprised, honestly.

Doubt it. It plummeted after the referendum because it was a shock and resulted in panic in the markets. It might go down somewhat but I wouldn't expect a collapse.

I'd take trump over this quite easily.

I agree. Trump is an embarrassment but you guys at least get the chance to hamstring him in 2018 and get rid of him in 2020. And you have a system that can blunt him somewhat.

Xe4

Banned
No. People have known this was going to happen, the odds of Theresa May deciding not to go ahead at this point were vanishingly low. Article 50 being triggered is already priced into the pound and I don't expect much movement on the formal announcement. What the pound will react to is news about the negotiating process as it goes along.
Fair enough. I suppose once the House of Lords went ahead, the chance of it not happening went to ~0%.

Doubt it. It plummeted after the referendum because it was a shock and resulted in panic in the markets. It might go down somewhat but I wouldn't expect a collapse.
I mean, it's been going down after the referensum as well. Not as sharp, but it has been happening.
C7TlBn4VAAA6DVe.jpg

Still, I suppose two weeks is too soon for it to drop ~23%.

Heartfyre

Thank God the opposition took a stand against it though, right?

One can only hope the Lib Dem's "I Told Ya So" strategy pays off.

As bad as their current circumstances are, they're one of the few parties untainted by the past year's events. As you imply, Labour have their own share of the burden.

Daffy Duck

This has been stated as false by one of the authors of article 50. If no agreeable deal is reached, the UK can simply opt not to leave. The torries don't like this though, so they don't mention it.

Oh, well that's one saving grace, can't see the Tories going for this though no matter how bad the deal is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Even if we do rejoin, which is inevitable, the UK either has to become a state of Europe or America eventually to remain relevant, we will never have it as good as we did now.

My hatred of 52% of the UK will never go away.

Worse than that because it's 52% of voters. Of actual people old enough to vote it's actually a minority which frankly should never have been allowed. Should have required a high turnout figure and a 2/3 majority to leave

Fuck

BibiMaghoo

Oh, well that's one saving grace, can't see the Tories going for this though no matter how bad the deal is.

They absolutely will not. This is very much personal for TM, and she will force us into the dark ages if it means getting out from under the EU with our laws, hence the deal or no deal attitude to Brexit. She will literally burn the house down to kill a mouse that hasn't caused any problems for the people that live there, just so that she doesn't ever need to think on that mouse again.

I voted Leave and I still feel okay about how I voted. To simplify my perspective, I think it's going to be quite messy but I think that life will go on. I would like to see some compromises in certain policy areas but I acknowledge that it's hard to predict what each side will prioritise. Anyway, I won't type out a huge essay defending my decision as I think we've all made up our minds by now! But I hope for the best.

"Life will go on" isn't fucking good enough! Life goes on in tons of countries too. When compared to the life opportunities I will lose because of this shitty vote "life will go on" isn't going to cut it. I expect prosperity to even begin to make up for this. Thanks for taking away my EU citizenship and my opportunities to easily work in other countries. Thanks a lot bro.

And I don't give a flying fuck if we rejoin in 10-20 years! I'll be 35-45 at minimum! The best years of my life would be gone.

jelly

Depressing. I still can't believe they are being this stupid, the only reason is the opportunities it presents to enrich themselves with money, power and push disgusting policy that wouldn't be allowed under the EU. The politicians, people in power, top of the tree will all be fine but everyone else are going to suffer but they can't walk away into the sunset with a healthy pension and other riches like them.

It's going to be a shit show and the cost is going to be astronomical. It's going to lead to what the hell was the point while having a worse life for decades when you didn't need to and how about blame the UK Government for everything, not the EU but I guess that will never happen even after leaving. EU won't give us the best deal ever, boo, stop being so competitive and successful EU, not fair! Reap what you fucking sow.

Fuck this shit, I still have to go back to UK for one more year to complete my degree.

God knows what the place would look like when I come back in September.

My parents are immigrants from non Western countries and still support this shit. At least I can try to do the opposite. I'll have to beat the obstacles being placed in front of me now, but I'll be damned if I don't try.

RoyalFool

Banned
Wahey, glad it's finally starting. We're probably in for a rocky few years but think things will return to normal after that. Fuck the EU army and lack of border controls.

You know this announcement has made me reflect on what happened to me last year.

"Congratulations you got accepted to University in London"
"Yes that's amazing I get to go to London and go to a good university"
"Oh by the way UK is leaving the EU"
"Oh crap that sucks but I hope things turn out ok"
"And Teresa May is Prime Minister now"
"How bad i-"
"She likes thatcher and hates foreign students"
"Well Shit"

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Wahey, glad it's finally starting. We're probably in for a rocky few years but think things will return to normal after that. Fuck the EU army and lack of border controls.
There is no EU army.
Plenty of EU nations have control of their borders.

I am afraid you have been swindled. Brexit leaders want to take back control of you rights and regulations that they couldn't easily twist to their personal advantage.

Thanks for screwing over the younger generations for some overhyped nonsense arguments. You definitely are a royal fool.

Seiniyta

The thing that shocked me the most really about the referendum was that it only needed a simple majority for something this important.

Well I guess this is how someone voted leave sees this news. Curious why do you think immigration is that bad in the UK

Zaph

"rocky few years" lol

No point debating Brexiters. In 10 years it'll be obvious. In 20 years it'll be curiously difficult to find anyone who voted for it.

RoyalFool

Banned
Your username suits you well.

Ha, at least I'm being honest. This place is such a left wing echo chamber it's pretty hard to admit voting for brexit, which is pretty odd considering 50%+ agree with me, just wish more posted on here so we could have a more two sided debate other than loltrump lolbrexit all the time.

Ha, at least I'm being honest. This place is such a left wing echo chamber it's pretty hard to admit voting for brexit, which is pretty odd considering 50%+ agree with me, just wish more posted on here so we could have a more two sided debate other than loltrump lolbrexit all the time.

well you're more than welcome to illustrate the potential for a massively better future for incoming generations and current. Outside of the random "just believe" shit that I hear all the time.

I mean shit if things are actually gonna get better I'd actually like to hear about that

did immigrants kick your puppy

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior

I agree, echo chambers are never good.
So can I ask you why you said there was an EU army?

jelly

The thing that shocked me the most really about the referendum was that it only needed a simple majority for something this important.

Cameron, the idiot. He just wanted to shut up the right wing of his party and take UKIP voters. He thought the vote would never be yes. That's all it took to get us into this mess. He gambled the UK to retain more power that he probably would have retained anyway.

Hey at least you came back :p

Too many times I've seen people be "I voted for Brexit/Trump" etc and then never return, or talk about how unfair it is that some on Gaf have opposing views. It's like 99% of the people who post that seem to think a debate or discussion only works if the other people agree with them but...eh. There's nothing stopping you debating a position, or migrating to various subreddits etc that are more in line with your way of thinking. As a general observation that has always struck me as something inherently hypocritical, or oxymoronic/whatever, of the more right-leaning when they call liberals snowflakes who want safe spaces etc, but run at the first sign of conflict. Or want safe spaces for themselves etc.

YY4deNm.jpg

BibiMaghoo

Britain never signed the EU agreement to give up border controls, and thus never did. We do not allow refugees or migrants accepted into another EU nation to travel here without a Visa, in direct contradiction to other EU states. Our borders have never been insecure.

Once we leave the EU and are no longer part of the Dublin regulation, allowing us to send back undocumented migrants to their country of origin in the EU, we will have to keep them here. We sent back over 12,000 last year. The volume of undocumented migrants here will increase significantly over the years now, not reduce.

Your post is a great example of the ignorance people showed in regards to borders, which probably swayed your vote, like many others.

ittoryu

Lack of border controls?
Wow, so you really don't know what you are talking about eh?

Britain never signed the EU agreement to give up border controls, and thus never did. We do not allow refugees or migrants accepted into another EU nation to travel here without a Visa, in direct contradiction to other EU states. Our borders have never been insecure.

Once we leave the EU and are no longer part of the Dublin regulation, allowing us to send back undocumented migrants to their country of origin in the EU, we will have to keep them here. We sent back over 12,000 last year. The volume of undocumented migrants here will increase significantly over the years now, not reduce.

Your post is a great example of the ignorance people showed in regards to borders, which probably swayed your vote, like many others.

Haven't you heard? We've had enough of experts.
/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom