• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios moved to a new larger office

Okay, he replied saying that's the only person he knows, and I checked on the Keyboard Tapper from Banjo who is at Retro; Rhys Lewis, and going by the humorous tone of the credits, it seems that Keyboard Tapper is actually the Programmer!

Also, MobyGames says he worked on DN Forever, but further research shows he did while at 3D Realms, and the 3D Realms' site confirms he left the company in 2007; right on time to be a last minute addition during Prime 3 which he is credited at.

Plus his Linkedin page (as barren as it is for guests) shows he is still in Austin, so he's extremely likely still at Retro!

All this time I thought Keyboard Tapper was related to music! lol

BTW, Rhys was one of the Engineers for DKCR. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Retro make an ARG out of this camera viewing stuff to give us hints on your next game

like have a guy standing out in the middle of the parking lot with a lime green shirt on and a coded letter, and somehow it'd all lead to guessing what direction you're taking

you can send me my check later guys, I'm a patient man

So I'm Linkedin snooping now that I have a barebones account (lots of stuff's still blocked unless you get a paid account), so I uncovered one person who was hired in 2012 who was a Senior Animator at BioWare on Star Wars: The Old Republic, he was there for 4 years.

For protection, I'll keep the name a secret, now he's a Level 3 Animator at Retro.

Tagg9

So I'm Linkedin snooping now that I have a barebones account (lots of stuff's still blocked unless you get a paid account), so I uncovered one person who was hired in 2012 who was a Senior Animator at BioWare on Star Wars: The Old Republic, he was there for 4 years.

For protection, I'll keep the name a secret, now he's a Level 3 Animator at Retro.

Soo... let's celebrate?

JDSN

Banned
I was expecting some pics of me on their camera feed rocking my wetsuit.

Edit: Nice tibdits, dat gaming journalism.

Found that two artists from Vigil joined in the summer. One who was the Concept Artist at Vigil is now Contract Concept Artist at Retro, and a Associate Character Artist at Vigil is now Contract Character Artist at Retro. The character artist worked on Darksiders 2 and the Warhammer 40K MMO.

This is in addition to the 2011 hire of a Senior Character Artist from Vigil is still the Senior Character Artist at Retro. This one also worked on Darksiders 2.

More as I find them.

xD Well played Retro Studios....well played indeed.

tumblr_l6cioeun1F1qzyvbno1_400.gif

Be hilarious if that's BGassassin's way of saying hi from the other side... :p

This thread makes me sad. I miss him ):

Boom! Another 2012 Vigil hire.

Was Senior Character Artist at Vigil for three years, now Level 3 Character Artist at Retro.

Worked on a number of Vigil games, including creating characters and props for both Darksiders! :O

So 4 so far; 2 proper, and 2 contract. All artists!

I'm a relative newbie to GAF and this has been the best thread I've read on the Internet in the past week, nay, the past month.

(Also OH MY GOD I'M ONLY 5-6 HOURS UP THE ROAD FROM RETRO!!)

Oersted

Isn't that relatively standard practice on large projects approaching completion? Extra staff are taken on, then let go when their contract ends - hence the "lay-offs" common at the end of large projects.

Its pretty uncommon in Japan, but pretty common in USA. Hence the Naughty Dog guy who joined Retro.

Well, the positive here is that - possibly - it means their current project is in its latter stages and there may be something to see soon.

E3 is very likely, hell what if it's at GDC?

I wish Vigil folks were flocking to Retro, one of the recent folks at Retro actually tweeted a lead designer from Vigil saying that Retro is hiring. GET ON IT!!!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Considering Darksiders' inspirations from Zelda, It'd be crazy if these artists (and Retro at large) finally DID get a stab at a Zelda game.

Wow you're on it today, so we see they have been hiring Vigil staff recently... I wonder what they got cooking.

Not that many though. :( But it is nice to know what 2012 hires they did, they killed the recent hires section of their page early in 2012 so we were left in the dark for most of it.

]blacky[;47008708 said:
Retro reads this thread, right?

WE WANT SUPER METROID 2!!!

No...you want Super Metroid 2.
I want Metroid Prime 4, because of that stupid cliff hanger on the 100% ending for Metroid Prime 3.

abrack08

Can't believe they moved their office to North Lamar Blvd. I lived on that street up until this June. I could have helped! :(

I know this is a few months old, but you still had a chance to help them move I think. My girlfriend got a job at some epub magazine place and they were on Kramer Lane right by (what I assume is) the old address. The first time I dropped her off, either the end of November or beginning of December, I saw one of the buildings right by hers had the Retro logo on it. I drove around and saw a bunch of dudes outside smoking right by parking spaces that said "RETRO STUDIOS ONLY" on them. Thought that was pretty cool. A week later, the logo was gone and parking spaces were repainted. So they probably didn't finish moving until December or so.

Just thought I'd share this... mostly unremarkable story, haha.

Porcile

How about looking up some of the people who have left Retro? It always seemed the big problem at that studio.

Top Bottom