• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randdalf

From the non-book spoiler tread:

tumblr_inline_n3ry5fUtBR1qhne75.jpg

Be careful with what you wish for, man :p

I think Meereen will be more palatable than in the books; the names of all the characters there, especially all the noble houses, don't stick in your head as much as all the Westerosi characters' names do. Somewhat true of Braavos as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So how much of a badass and important character is this red viper fellow? Because he's awesome and I want to prepare myself for the chance he doesn't last long

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
God damn it >_<

Is Tyrion still around at least? I know he get fucked up during the books (even more I guess)

Rhaknar

I love your short to the point answers without spoiling everything, exactly what I wanted/needed. Thanks guys

Are we in track to finish book 3 by the end if this season?

PFD

I love your short to the point answers without spoiling everything, exactly what I wanted/needed. Thanks guys

Are we in track to finish book 3 by the end if this season?

Yeah definitely, they already touched on many storylines from books 4/5

Showaddy

Does anyone else think the show will have Tywin pull the strings in order for the Mountain and Oberyn to fight in the trial by combat? I get the feeling from Tywin's last conversation with Oberyn, that he alluded to arranging for Oberyn to get his revenge on The Mountain, and what better way to do that than with the trial by combat?

Doesn't really make sense though because he doesn't want either of them to die.

Why does he care about Oberyn? He has it out for the Lannisters, why not want him dead? I doubt he gives Oberyn much of a shot against the Mountain.
If Oberyn dies, against the guy who killed Elia no less, it'll enrage the Dornish, who hold the current heir to the throne hostage.

bengraven

Who are the actual cannibals in the books again? The people of Skagos?

Rumored, but also there are some clans in the far north that are cannibals as well - I think the show is referencing them, just calling them Thenns because it's a cool, easy to use word.

I fucking wish we had mammoths. :(

Rumored, but also there are some clans in the far north that are cannibals as well - I think the show is referencing them, just calling them Thenns because it's a cool, easy to use word.

Thenns were actually quite like below the wall where they inherited through family and had lords in the book. Show just took a north of the wall group and made them cannibals.

Manderly some how knows that Rickon is on Skagos. How? He has to be in contact w/ them to know, there is no other way. This lends evidence to the 'grand northern conspiracy' which I hope is true. I don't think they're canniabls anymore I think b/c they're on an island their reputation has kept people from visiting it and the reputation has persisted.

Showaddy

Why does he care about Oberyn? He has it out for the Lannisters, why not want him dead? I doubt he gives Oberyn much of a shot against the Mountain.

Tywin needs Dorne though and another member of their royal family getting killed by Gregor would just send them right over the edge. At worst they'll kill Mycella and throw in with Stannis sparking off another war.

Why would Tywin want Oberyn to fight the Mountain? He knows such an event would likely result in Oberyn dying, and thus endangering Myrcella and extending the war. I think he Show Tywin invited Oberyn to be a judge specifically to avoid any surprises. I have a feeling he's going to be very pissed when Oberyn announces his decision to defend Tyrion.

Iksenpets

Banned

There has to be a dramatic mammoth charge during the battle.

And yeah, they've kind of inverted the Thenns. In the book they're menacing because they're like highly-regimented proto-fascists. Here they're super wild and animalistic cannibals.

Thenns were actually quite like below the wall where they inherited through family and had lords in the book. Show just took a north of the wall group and made them cannibals.

Manderly some how knows that Rickon is on Skagos. How? He has to be in contact w/ them to know, there is no other way. This lends evidence to the 'grand northern conspiracy' which I hope is true. I don't think they're canniabls anymore I think b/c they're on an island their reputation has kept people from visiting it and the reputation has persisted.
Skagos has a normal population, answers to winterfell, etc. they are more wild and northern, but there are references to rebellions, etc. there are also cannibals there. It's just not all cannibal wild men. Clearly there is trade, commerce, towns, government, etc.

wex told Manderly where osha took rickon, no need for a conspiracy.

Speevy

Banned
Going with a little rewriting kick, Tywin should totally have Gregor Clegane executed now that the war is over.

Everyone hates him. It seems like a politically sound decision.

Showaddy

Going with a little rewriting kick, Tywin should totally have Gregor Clegane executed now that the war is over.

Everyone hates him. It seems like a politically sound decision.

I suppose he's just to useful to though in times of war, no one else does Tywin's dirty work quite like him. With Stannis, the Greyjoys & Dany out there he knows he'll need him again at some point.

Manderly knows Rickon's on Skaagos through Wex, Theon's mute squire left over from Ramsay's sacking of Winterfell.

What's the "grand northern conspiracy"?

Warning...loooooong read:
THE WINTERFELL HUIS CLOS

Summary from the Westeros.org boards:

So to sum it all up — the pro-Stark northern families know about Robb's will and are moving into position, with the aim of forcing Stannis and the Boltons against each other and dispatching with the "victor" before "going public" with the will and reinstalling a Stark king.

Showaddy

Basically the Northern houses playing the Boltons and Stannis off against each other with the aim of wiping out the victor and putting a Stark back in Winterfell.

Edit: Beaten like Sansa in a throne room .

3N16MA

Banned

Tywin needs Oberyn/Dorne as it's a strategic move. He mentioned Dany and her dragons, which house would the first to side with her when she reaches Westoros? Tywin knows it would be House Martell and he can't afford that.

Also Myrcella is in Dornish control.

CassSept

Sophie Turnet doing her best Girl with a Pearl Earring impersonation.

Yeaaah that episode was a mixed bag. On one hand, as an episode of a TV show it was good. The reasons were mentioned before, the locales were beautiful, the balance between the plotlines was great, they were intertwined nicely and instead of rushing from one to another we revisited some of the characters several times.

On the other hand, the changes, ohh the changes. Enough had been said about rape scene. Terrible, terrible change from the books. Absolutely despicable. Horrible in conception, horrible in execution. Cersei apparently changing her mind halfway through only makes it worse. I also disliked Thenns being made so cartoonish. I thought as the time went by GRRM made wildlings as a whole more sympathetic of a group. In the show they are brutes with no redeeming factors and the Thenns are for whatever reason the worst of them.

Other minor quibbles are Littlefinger's everchanging accent (I literally burst out laughing when he spoke for the first time yesterdya) and Daario recast. It's getting better but new Daario is never gonna be as punchable and annoying as old Daario.

I think Meereen will be more palatable than in the books; the names of all the characters there, especially all the noble houses, don't stick in your head as much as all the Westerosi characters' names do. Somewhat true of Braavos as well.

What do you have against Reznak ma Reznak, Skahaz mo Whatever and Hizdahr zo Dafuq?

bengraven

Sophie Turner looked so hawt in that hooded cloak:

tumblr_n4ep0qflei1qzerjgo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_n4ep0qflei1qzerjgo3_r1_500.gif

Yeah, Sophie went from this scrawny little blonde girl to this incredibly tall, curvy woman with a very beautiful face. I hesitate to call her hot if only because I'm old and we kind of watched her grow up and I feel like a creeper. But she is incredibly cute.

Drazgul

The actor promised the relationship wouldn't be pervy, but dem undertones :| It's going to be very uncomfortable viewing I feel.

AFFC didn't have anything overtly creepy happening with Sansa and Petyr (iirc?), but now that Joffrey's a goner, Littlefinger's an obvious choice for the character that everyone hates.

SamVimes

AFFC didn't have anything overtly creepy happening with Sansa and Petyr (iirc?), but now that Joffrey's a goner, Littlefinger's an obvious choice for the character that everyone hates.

Didn't he keep asking for kisses? Also Lysa seeing him kiss her in asos is what started the confrontation that ended up with Lysa's death if i remember correctly..

Kadayi

Banned
He is transformed because of the combination of a series of events: a lenghty captivity, the traumatic loose of his hand, and yes, seeing true chilvary in Brienne. It is quite the ordeal, and it is pretty believable to me that these type of events would change his character, or anyone's, for that matter.

Yes, the nature of the relationship they shared has changed quite a lot. They reunite, she's dismissive, he's frustrated, aye. But "you can't have everything that you want in this world no matter how much of a rich boy you are " was suppoused to be a lesson that he already learnt. He has experienced for the first time in his life frustration, and thus, learnt to cope with that emotion (once again, loosing his hand was probably the most pivotal event that lead to the new and improved Jaime). But nope, back to square one because apparently, rough sex is somehow filmed in the same way as a rape *sigh*

And yet despite all that you've written to outline how he's a transformed man his primary motivations never changed one iota. Kind of throws a big spanner in the works of that theory seems to me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looking at the no-book thread, I can't imagine how someone can watch the Sansa-Littlefinger on a boat scene and still think that Sansa did it.

I'm somewhat disappointed in their portrayal of Reek. I heard he is described in the book as looking 40 years older after his torture, among other horrifying details. They have the biggest fucking budget of any TV series in the history of man. Why the fuck didn't their makeup artists cut loose?

The dude looks almost exactly the same, except with a limp. What a pacifist decision by the art crew. At least CG some of his teeth out!

To be fair, I understand Tyrion's scar is supposed to be hideous as well. But Reek is less excusable.

Massa

I'm somewhat disappointed in their portrayal of Reek. I heard he is described in the book as looking 40 years older after his torture, among other horrifying details. They have the biggest fucking budget of any TV series in the history of man. Why the fuck didn't their makeup artists cut loose?

The dude looks almost exactly the same, except with a limp. What a pacifist decision by the art crew. At least CG some of his teeth out, you pussies.

To be fair, I understand Tyrion is supposed to look at lot uglier with his scar, too, but the art crew again sort of made the scar a little too perfect. But Reek is less excusable.

It's a gradual transformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom