• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wii-u-official-banner.png

Welcome to the next generation of gaming. Officially announced at Nintendo E3 2011 Press Conference, the Wii U is posed to take on two very different markets: the casual market and the core gamer market. This console is designed to cater to everyone. The addition of a tablet-like game pad will create a paradigm shift with asymmetric gameplay, just as its predecessor disrupted the traditional gaming market. Nintendo is positioning three pillars for Wii U: Gaming, Entertainment and Social Networking.

Credit goes to thecongressman1, Stewox, jonny_boi for the graphics and the thread.

Wiiu Information

mif6f.jpg

wiiuback.jpg

Back of the prototype model circa 2011. The final console may or may not be the same.

gamesbanner.png

• Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Nintendoland
  • ZombieU
  • Pikmin 3
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Zelda
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • Darksiders 2
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Tank Tank Tank
  • Fifa Soccer 13
  • Madden NFL 13
  • Rayman Legends
  • Rabbids Land
  • Dragon Quest 10
  • InJustice: Gods among us
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Mass Effect 3
  • NBA 2k13
  • Wii Fit U
  • P100
  • Batman Arkam City

Wii U Features

nintendonetwork.png

Nintendo Network is Nintendo's new online infrastructure, in the same vein as Playstation Network or XBOX Live.

It has been confirmed that the Wii U is account-based, and each player in the family will have their own account. One Wii U console can support up to 12 different accounts. Wii U will also have an eShop, that is rumored to include applications and books, in addition to the confirmed ability to download full retail games on launch day.

miiverseee.png

(not actual logo)

miiverse-4.png

MiiVerse is Nintendo's proposed social network for the Wii U, that will gradually become available on Nintendo 3DS, Internet Browsers, and Smart Phones. It is also future compatible, so all future Nintendo consoles will support MiiVerse. MiiVerse is the first screen you see when you turn on the Wii U console, and it displays your household's Miis, your friends' Miis and Miis from all around the world gathering around tiles which represent the titles that you play and the titles trending globally for Wii U. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata confirmed it will take 30 minutes for your messages to be sent due to moderating, but it is unknown if this will affect messages send to people on your friends list.

Controls

Controls.png

controllers1pad4controlelrs.png

Two game pads can be supported at once. A game pad and four Wii U Pro Controllers or four Wii Remotes can also be supported.

gamepad.png

Wii U Game Pad:
The name and shape are inspired by the NES Game Pad, and the controller includes:
  • 6.2 Inch LCD Resistive Touch Screen
  • Low Megapixel Camera
  • Stereo Speakers
  • Sensor Bar (on the controller itself)
  • Microphone
  • Power/Home/Start/Select Buttons
  • Two Clickable Analogue Sticks
  • + Control Pad
  • ABXY Buttons
  • Digital L/R/ZL/ZR Triggers
  • TV Control Button
  • Gyroscope
  • Accelerometer
  • Geomagnetic Sensor
  • Near Field Communication (NFC) Technology
  • Rumble
  • Stylus
  • Charging Port

pro.png

Wii U Pro Controller:
This controller was made for gaming enthusiasts, designed specifically for long gameplay sessions, and includes:
  • Power/Home/Start/Select Buttons
  • Two Clickable Analogue Sticks
  • + Control Pad
  • ABXY Buttons
  • Digital L/R/ZL/ZR Triggers
  • LED Play Indicator
  • Charging Port
  • Further information had yet to be confirmed, on capability such as rumble or a gyroscope

weesupport.png

Wii Accessories
Virtually all Wii Accessories are backwards compatible, and this includes:
  • Wii Remote and Wii Remote Plus
  • Wii Nunchuk Controller
  • Wii Classic Controller
  • Wii Classic Controller Pro
  • Wii Balance Board
  • Wii Wheel
  • Wii Zapper
  • etc.

Wii Software
Wii retail software is fully backwards compatible with the Wii U, but as of this current moment, they do not upscale to HD resolution. All Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare titles will also be able to be transfered to your Wii U console (and presumably to your new eShop account as well).

Nintendo of America has announced a Wii U Conference for Thursday, September 13, 2012, which is analogous with the Wii's prelaunch conference on September 14, 2006.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for console and game pad price announcements. Expecting a good ol' GAF freak out thread.

Yay!

Most hyped launch game (finished Rayman Origins two times)

I haven't posted in all the other Wii U threads but Ive been reading them since before E3, love it. I plan to contribute this time.

I'm planning on buying a Wii U at launch, at least with Rayman Legends, NSMBU and ZombiU, and probably Nintendoland just to check it out. Everything extra is just gravy.

Played the Wii U once up until now, at E3 2011 I played the hide & seek tech demo (and some other less impressive stuff).

Alright, my body is ready, give us the (European) releasedate!

Neiteio

The last round of hardware impressions made the WiiU sound like a poorly optimized hotbed of problems. I think I'll wait and make sure the consoles aren't RROD-ing on people. It'll be the first time I've waited on a Nintendo system, but I'm sure I'll be plenty busy from the usual Thanksgiving Steam sales and such. Now if P-100 is ready at launch, waiting will be more difficult. And NSMBU looks quite appetizing as well -- the first time a NSMB game has captured my imagination, thanks to the new World-esque backgrounds and proper HD.

JoeInky

I need smash 4 in my life, the sooner it comes out the better.

So many hours are going to be spent on it whilst I'm staying at uni.

I bet you can start preordering right when that conference is going...

Most exciting thing for me is that between the pad and pro controller I may never have to pick up a Wiimote ever again. It'll be glorious!

Day 1 for sure.

urfe

Will be buying a (Japanese) one as soon as DQX is released for it.

May cave for NSMBU, but only if I fall into a bunch of money.

I'm excited, buying it at launch :)

"Price: At Least ¥20000/$251/£163 (Confirmed by Iwata)"
When the hell was this mentioned?
I'm pretty sure Iwata said it would cost more than Wii, so these figures probably come from that quote.

Anyway, I've been skeptical concerned about Nintendo and Wii U, but I am getting more excited as we get closer to launch.

Drago

Hopefully I can get one at launch. The allure of Mario, Rayman, Pikmin 3, and P-100 is too much, among other titles I want (but not as much)

As long as Nintendo's output is as good as it was on Wii, a purchase of the WiiU is justified for me. Will eventually be getting a PS4 and PC for everything else that (probably) won't make it :)

So psyched for this. I may wait a little just to see what games are coming out, but with so many triple-A titles for 360 being moved to 2013, I may pick this up in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom