• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Nintendo QOL-related patent applications published

Yesterday a bunch of Nintendo patent applications were published which seem to be related to their QOL project.

Only the abstracts seem to be in English but you can get a general idea of what's about.

I'm probably over-simplifying this (and I could be wrong), but from what I understand they are using various sensors/inputs (mic, camera, balance board) to acquire information about the user (pulse, weight, etc) and the environment (temp/humidity), and use that information to somehow generate a QOL "score".

The following three were filed on 10/29/2014:

WIPO Patent Application WO/2015/107747
This information processing system comprises a portable terminal. The portable terminal detects sensor information for assessing a user's emotions. It would be permissible, as an example, for the sensor information to be sound information which is detected by a microphone, or image information which is captured by a camera. The information processing system assesses the user's emotions on the basis of the sensor information. The portable terminal detects the sensor information in a period when the said portable terminal is in a standby state. As an example, the said standby state is a state wherein a display of the portable terminal is off.

patent_app_13zsmo.png
patent_app_51esjn.png

A docking station (with a small projector?) for what device? Nintendo's next handheld or somehow compatible with a wider range of mobile phones? Is a universal docking station even possible? (Android/iPhone)

WIPO Patent Application WO/2015/107746
This display system is provided with a sensor, a projector, and a control means. The sensor detects user information for calculating a state relating to sleep of a user. The user information is, for instance, biological information, such as pulse rate. The projector displays, by means of projection, a predetermined image. For instance, the projector displays, by means of projection, an image on a ceiling by projecting the image upward. The control means controls the projector corresponding to the sleep-related state calculated on the basis of the user information.

patent_app_2uts4a.png
patent_app_3kfs17.png
patent_app_4ovk8z.png

WIPO Patent Application WO/2015/107681

A terminal system acquires physiological information from a user and transmits transmission information to a server system, said transmission information including the physiological information and/or health information relating to the health or the body of the user, obtained from said physiological information. The server system associates the transmission information received from each terminal system, and/or information obtained from said transmission information, with the user, and stores these as stored information. The server system also stores conditions relating to the generation of provided information, to be provided to the user in order to improve metrics obtained from the stored information, or metrics included in the stored information. The provided information is generated on the basis of the stored information and the conditions, and is transmitted to the user's terminal. The server system performs an analysis of transmission information acquired after the provided information has been provided, for a plurality of users that have received the provided information, and updates the conditions on the basis of the analysis results.

patent_app_66rs1f.png

The rest are: WIPO Patent Application WO/2015/107710, WIPO Patent Application WO/2015/107743, WIPO Patent Application WO/2015/107744, WIPO Patent Application WO/2015/107745

As always, it doesn't mean that these will carry-over to the final product (if it ever it actually materializes) but at least we get a better idea of what Nintendo is talking-about/working on.

MGrant

Hmmm, very interesting. Looks like it would compete with garmin/fitbit, but it seems to require a higher barrier of entry for a complete package, and it's non-wearable, as they had described it in the past.

Camera and microphone collecting data during sleep and sending it on Nintendo servers? Conspirologists will have a field day with QoL.

But, overall, looks cool. I don't know, though, why there is a display and control means. Doesn't QoL supposed to be "non-operable"?

Hmmm, very interesting. Looks like it would compete with garmin/fitbit, but it seems to require a higher barrier of entry for a complete package, and it's non-wearable, as they had described it in the past.

They could always release an app android/iphone/wearable-compatible which will collect the data required by QOL no?

Unless of course custom sensors are required.

Kathian

Banned
Portable display probably a small laser pen sized project? Just displaying black/white data? Then uploading to a server for access from your PC/phone when available.

Is the display and sensor the same thing?

Camera and microphone collecting data during sleep and sending it on Nintendo servers? Conspirologists will have a field day with QoL.

But, overall, looks cool. I don't know, though, why there is a display and control means. Doesn't QoL supposed to be "non-operable"?

A sleep tracking box on your nightstand should also double as an alarm clock, those need snooze/disable buttons.

maxcriden

Pretty interesting stuff. I will say maybe it's because I'm still waking up but I'm not sure I really understand that third patent especially. Can anyone Fleish-Kincaid it down for me? ;)

(Also, is the mobile (?) device in that first pic something that is permanently part of the dock or separate? Can we tell by the text?)

Thanks all!

greg400

Banned
I'm interested, I think Wii Fit U is really phenomenal and would love for them to continue with the work they've done with the Balance Board and fitness gaming in general.

geordiemp

The second patent, monitors your sleep and when you having a dirty dream displays certain images on the ceiling....LOL

Seriously cannot get my head around the whole thing. Could be fun..

Docking station with alarm clock for the NX portable ?

A bit more digging now I'm off work, with the help of google translate.

The whole system seems much more complicated than what I first thought.

Random bits:

- Indoor (base unit) and outdoor (mobile "terminal") evaluation of user's QOL

According to the embodiment, the information processing system 1 includes a first unit (base unit 6), and a second device (mobile terminal 5). Base unit 6, the first user information to evaluate the QOL of the user in a state where the user is indoors (biological information) is detected in the state where it does not contact with the user (step S1, step S12). The mobile terminal 5 in a state where the user is outdoors, the second user information to evaluate the user's QOL (location information, environmental sensor information, information of the detected sound by the microphone, information of the image captured by the camera) detects and (step S5, step S22, step S51). Incidentally, the mobile terminal 5, it is sufficient to be detected second user information in a state where the user is outdoors, it may detect the second user information in a state in which the user is indoors. The information processing system performs an evaluation of the users' QOL based on the first user information and second user information (step S7, step S114).

- Doppler sensor used in "base unit" - found a couple of papers online that demonstrate how a Doppler sensor can be used for sleep-stage/vital signs monitoring (here and here)

Base unit 6 is provided with a Doppler sensor 24, which is an example of a sensor for detecting biological information. Doppler sensor 24, as well as launching the microwave by receiving the reflected wave is launched microwave, detects a moving object based on the difference between the frequency of the received frequency of the fired microwave microwave. In this embodiment, the Doppler sensor 24 (emitting section 24a of) irradiates radio waves towards the front of the base unit 6 (see Fig. 3). In the present embodiment, detection target of the Doppler sensor 24 is user, and detects the body movement of the user by the Doppler sensor 24. Although details will be described later, by performing the analysis of the frequency analysis or the like to the living body information to be detected (an output waveform of the Doppler sensor 24), the other of the body movement, it is possible to further calculate the biometric information such as respiratory and pulse .

- Sleep quality calculation - probably with the help of the aforementioned Doppler sensor

Sleep calculating unit 42, the biological information to calculate the various sleep index based (breathing, pulse rate, and body movement) to. Here, conventionally, respiration, pulse rate, and a method of calculating the sleep metrics based on the body movement is known. In this embodiment, the sleep calculation unit 42 calculates a sleep index indicating the following information.
- Sleep latency (the time of sleep latency) and mid-awakening time and mid-arousal number of times
- sleep efficiency
- total sleep time
- sleep at the amount of activity
- sleep stage
- REM sleep time
- non-REM sleep time

Wildean

I appreciate this is very scanty info, but it all looks really really dull. I'd imagine the market for dedicated sleep measuring devices is pretty small. Doesn't sound like something likely to capture the imagination like WiiFit did.

I appreciate this is very scanty info, but it all looks really really dull. I'd imagine the market for dedicated sleep measuring devices is pretty small. Doesn't sound like something likely to capture the imagination like WiiFit did.

Can't say I disagree.

On the other hand I can't imagine they're only targeting gamers with this - they know it will fail.

I believe (if it ever releases) they'll try to lure-in a more wide range of consumers. (something they tried and succeeded with the Wii/Wiimote)

The fact that a dedicated gaming console/portable is never mentioned/not needed (at least up to now), could mean that this is something "bigger".

I'll not be surprised if this is something that ends-up in shelves of department stores that have nothing to do with gaming.

JoeM86

This isn't a gaming peripheral or anything like that, though. It's not intended to gamify these things.

JCX

Sleep problems seem to be pretty widespread in developed countries, especially with the growing research into how sleep affects the mind/body and how best to get quality sleep. QoL seems to be for tracking health 24/7 via Wii Fit Board/Meter and the new non-wearable sleep sensor.

I do think there is a market for things like this (there are a bunch of sleep tracking mobile apps), but I don't think the market has much overlap with their core gaming audience.

Caramello

Can't say I disagree.

On the other hand I can't imagine they're only targeting gamers with this - they know it will fail.

I believe (if it ever releases) they'll try to lure-in a more wide range of consumers. (something they tried and succeeded with the Wii/Wiimote)

The fact that a dedicated gaming console/portable is never mentioned/not needed (at least up to now), could mean that this is something "bigger".

I'll not be surprised if this is something that ends-up in shelves of department stores that have nothing to do with gaming.

They've said multiple times That QoL is a new business for them outside of gaming.

The only interesting piece of information for me is the projector. Everything else has been speculated/spoken about before I feel.

Ah, they did? Must have totally missed that.

Doppler sensor for me. Had no idea they can be used this way.

New business area outside of gaming but with occasional gaming tie ins. (High scores - incentives wth your NNID - unlockables etc.) Being heavily server focused (in the patents) indicates lot´s of cross promotions between all future Nintendo hardware form factors. Which will be a lot. Like a billion lightyears away from Nintendo abandoning hardware.

"Honey, while you were sleeping, that thing started showing naked pictures of Peach on the ceiling. Anything you'd like to tell me?"

No, I know that won't happen, yes this is a joke. Just since disclaimers seem necessary around here lately.

watershed

Banned
Sorry to bump this somewhat old thread but I just came across these patents on a Nintendo news site. I feel like, of everything Nintendo is trying to do to expand and increase profit, this whole QoL thing is most likely to fall flat or maybe never even see the light of day. Even with what little we know, it seems like a product no one is asking for in a market that no one wants Nintendo in.

Top Bottom