• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Splinter Cell Trilogy for the PS3

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/08/07/splinter-cell-trilogy-for-ps3/

November could be a good month for PS3 owning Splinter Cell fans. Although shunned for Sam Fisher’s latest outing, Amazon France has listed ‘Splinter Cell Trilogy’ coming exclusively to the PS3 at the end of the year. If one were to assume, it would be that Ubisoft is releasing a HD remake of the first three games.

None of this has been confirmed yet, so stay tuned for an official confirmation/denial.

Here's also an interesting comment:

I’ll give you confirmation. I read in out pre-order book today; “Splinter Cell Trilogy HD Classics”. I’ll get you the date for it tomorrow. Dead excited! :D

Thanks to Don, he also spotted Prince of Persia Tri(o)logy for the PS3:

Don said:
Kind of disappointing that we might get Splinter Cell HD remakes before MGS but it's still nice to see 3rd parties getting on board.

If this is true I wonder if Ubisoft would consider doing the same for the Prince of Persia games.

Edit: Actually, just noticed this:
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B003VMCLU6/

As long as it's a proper HD remake with added online (since they had the best online gamemodes ever!) I'll worship 'em forever!

That said, I'm not keeping my hopes high...

sn00zer

Trololology
trololol.jpg

Pooya

If this is true, probably Conviction is coming to PS3 as well.
Could be Chaos Theory/DA/Conviction Trilogy even...

Yazuka

Hope this will lead the way for more HD Collections from third parties if true.
What made the PS2 games so bad? Never played them, but might give this a go.

El-Suave

I never got into Splinter Cell, only played the first one for about an hour, so this might be a good way to start. I'm not sure how well these games might have aged though.

Beyond Good and Evil, Ubisoft - DO IT!
Maybe even Rayman 2 - all more obvious remakes than Splinter Cell in my opinion.

Polk

Yazuka said:
Hope this will lead the way for more HD Collections from third parties if true.
What made the PS2 games so bad? Never played them, but might give this a go.
I don't think they're bad per se, but they were vastly inferior to Xbox/PC versions tech wise.

Would buy in a heart beat if they are high quality ports of the Xbox/PC versions of the games.

A (terrible) version of Double Agent already exists on the PS3, so a trilogy of the first 3 games would make some sense. Timing it with a port of Conviction makes even more sense, although I wouldn't buy that.

The games hold up well when being played on a 360 using backwards compatibility, so they should still look great running in high resolution on the PS3.

MightyKAC

Move and 3d support would be awesome but I'd just settle for a decent port.

Funny thing is I own all 3 for the gamecube but only played about 15min of the first one.

duckroll

What a strange choice if true. I've always associated the Splinter Cell series with the Xbox rather than Playstation.

kuYuri

miladesn said:
If this is true, probably Conviction is coming to PS3 as well.
Could be Chaos Theory/DA/Conviction Trilogy even...

Those games don't fit with "HD Classics" moniker.

Goldrusher

Whoever is responsible for adding new games can't spell / write:

Prince of persia trilogy
Splinter cell trilogie
Batman Arkham Asylum - plaitnum edition
Battle field Bad Company 2 : Vietnam (add on)
Zombie driver
Deblob 2 : the underground
Castlevania : lords of shadow

And what's with the lack of capitalization ?

Don

Kind of disappointing that we might get Splinter Cell HD remakes before MGS but it's still nice to see 3rd parties getting on board.

If this is true I wonder if Ubisoft would consider doing the same for the Prince of Persia games.

Edit: Actually, just noticed this:
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B003VMCLU6/

duckroll said:
What a strange choice if true. I've always associated the Splinter Cell series with the Xbox rather than Playstation.

Probably because the best consoles versions are on Xbox.

Anyway, I couldn't care less as I own the trilogy for PC.

Yazuka

Polk said:
I don't think they're bad per se, but they were vastly inferior to Xbox/PC versions tech wise.
Ah, okay. Hope we get a remake on those versions then.

Don said:
Now that is something I would really like to see.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KZObsessed said:
PS2 versions were shit tho weren't they?

In comparison to X-box/PC? Hell yes.

In comparison to Gamecube? Um... yeah.

So long as this is the X-box/PC version redone, DO WANT.

Pooya

duckroll said:
1)All of the original games are backward compatible with Xbox 360 and can be played on PC (available on Steam I think) so it's not surprising that they are making this for PS3.
2)Not really related but PS2 version of original Splinter Cell and IIRC Pandora Tomorrow had exclusive levels although they were vastly inferior to Xbox/PC.

Xav

Has to be ports of the Xbox/PC versions otherwise this is a waste. Might as well throw in Double Agent since I heard the last gen version was better than the PS3/360 version.

duckroll

Yeah I'm not surprised that Ubisoft would want to milk, I just don't feel that anyone would really associate Playstation 2 "classics" with Splinter Cell games. :lol

Ridley327

I honestly would have figured that the PoP trilogy would have been the first to get this treatment, but I suppose that since The Forgotten Sands bombed spectacularly, they might be putting the series on ice for a bit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Updated the OP for the Prince of Persia Trilogy (thanks Don!)... Can a mod also update the title too please? :p

rvy

Banned
duckroll said:
Yeah I'm not surprised that Ubisoft would want to milk, I just don't feel that anyone would really associate Playstation 2 "classics" with Splinter Cell games. :lol
Indeed, they're more Xbox Classics than anything.

duckroll

That's another series I don't associate with Playstation! In fact, I don't even associate it with consoles! :lol

Pooya

oh, just realized this is amazon france, They listed Ico Collection, Uncharted 3 and that other game 2 months ago and removed them after a while IIRC. This one seems a bit different though.

offshore

This seems like a bad idea, especially since I personally have seen little mention of people asking for HD Splinter Cell games in the many PS2 Collection request threads.

The trilogy might do bad numbers, Ubi will then moan, and then other third parties might think "perhaps there isn't a market for HD versions after all".

Although to be honest, what constitutes good or bad numbers, I'm not sure.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
offshore said:
This seems like a bad idea, especially since I personally have seen little mention of people asking for HD Splinter Cell games in the many PS2 Collection request threads

That's because the PS2 versions sucked, in terms of X-box/PC parity: No lighting effect matching. No level matching (having to take some levels out, having to make new ones).

If it's an X-box/PC remake done for PS3, I'm sure there would be buyers of a 360/PS3 version (I know I'd buy them again. Esp. since XBL for the X-box is gone, thereby the maps for versus and SC1 are GONE unless you have the discs that had them back in the day).

This seems like a bad idea, especially since I personally have seen little mention of people asking for HD Splinter Cell games in the many PS2 Collection request threads.

If anything it's good because people will buy the collection over Gamestop's used copies.

duckroll

TheSeks said:
That's because the PS2 versions sucked, in terms of X-box/PC parity: No lighting effect matching. No level matching (having to take some levels out, having to make new ones).

If it's an X-box/PC remake done for PS3, I'm sure there would be buyers of a 360/PS3 version (I know I'd buy them again. Esp. since XBL for the X-box is gone, thereby the maps for versus and SC1 are GONE unless you have the discs that had them back in the day).

Well, my point is exactly that though. Is this going to be a HD Classics label PS3-only collection that takes the PS2 originals and re-renders in HD with little else done other than redone 2D on-screen textures and stuff ala God of War Collection? Or will it be an actual "remake" which will carry it's own label and have more work put into it?

Because if it's the former, than honestly, I don't see how it's a great idea because no one really wants the PS2 versions of Splinter Cell, regardless of improved resolution. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amazon France seems suspicious to me.

Just before E3 some tantalising game entries appeared that didn't materialise at E3 and have yet to show. Indeed I think one of them was explicitly denied (the Quantic Dream one).

Maybe there's a troll at Amazon, looking to excite - and then disappoint - PS3 owners? :p

duckroll

I'm pretty sure the Prince of Persia Trilogy is a triple-pack box which just includes all 3 games in separate packaging. Correct me if I'm wrong. :p

Top Bottom