• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

Deadstar

Definitely disappointed. How do you launch a sequel without different classes or new enemy races? Are we going to be fighting the Cabal, Vex and Hive for the next 8 games?

I was expecting a Diablo 1 to Diablo 2 like transition.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was no big fan of the original and the reveal did little to sway me to playing the sequel.

molnizzle

Because people don't force themselves to play bad games for three years.

Except you don't know if a movie is bad until you see it.

Those playing Destiny still do it because it's a good game.

Well Mr. Xur-avatar, what if I told you...

...some people stopped playing Destiny because they didn't like it anymore. Bungie obviously wants such people to jump back in to D2. Which is why they're calling it D2 and emphasizing the fresh start.

I had a sliver of hope left that Destiny 1 was some majorly held back thing and the sequel would be radically improved even though deep down I knew "Na, that's their game. That's what they wanted to achieve and they achieved it. They are making another one of those again."

The shooting is gonna be fun so I'll get it eventually.

Nabbis

I don't know. They had three years to expand on the current systems and im certainly underwhelmed with what i saw. Going by what Destiny one offered i certainly had low expectations but im still disappointed. Neither the nature or the scope of activities was expanded enough to justify this being a sequel. Hell, it even looks like their development pipeline is still crap, i don't understand why this is essentially all they came up with.

Be there day 1 and put another 30 days into it. So no. I will be raiding with the guys/girls just like the first Game, grinding for loot, playing crucible and having a blast.

The reveal was botched. So little of what they showed was new. We had
-New environments
-New weapon type
-New supers
-Handful of new enemy types
-New ability

Meanwhile, things returning...
-Same structure (the director, patrols, missions, strikes, raids, orbit, social space)
-Same animations (reload, melee, ads, super casting, movement)
-Same enemy classes/same bosses and still dumb as bricks
-Same classes/elements

The lists seem like their the same length but the stuff carrying over from D1 comprise of so much of what D2 seems to be, that it really does look like an expansion on paper if you are looking at just the gameplay. Literally everything on the new list we got to varying degrees out of the expansions minus the new abilities.

I have to hope Bungie is sitting on all new enemy classes, unannounced activities, connected social spaces and patrol areas, reworked loot system, etc, otherwise I struggle to understand why this took nearly 4 years, 3 studios, 500+ people or whatever the number was to complete...

btags

I have a question for those who are technically minded and played a bit of Destiny 1. Were there any major graphical updates you noticed for the destiny 2 gameplay? I saw some screen space reflection that I don't think was in Destiny 1, but not much else.

ReaperXL7

You're never the only one, and there is always someone else.

As someone who played D1 pretty casually it looked like they are trying to address all of my gripes with the original. It's going to boil down to how the systems they discussed are implemented, the "Adventures" in the patrol zones for example could add a lot if they aren't throw away.

These Destiny 2 threads are going to be a lot like the Ghost Recon Wildlands threads when the game releases. Where it's just prime examples of how out of touch with the mainstream the majority of GAF is.

Not to say there isn't stuff to critique about D2 but the level of hyperbole around the game is huge
You bet. This game will blow up the world!

My history with this game have always been strainous. Even though I'm not a Destiny player, I'm a big Bungie fan, and like many of you I've watched wayside as Destiny was miscommunicated.
Someone earlier in this thread said that they hoped D2 would be what D1 was marketed as. But the whole problem about Destiny is that the marketing was terrible, inconsistent and paradoxical in it's messaging.
"It's a first person shooter like Halo- but 10 times as big" / "It's a MMO with a 10 year development cycle we will update for atleast a decade".

We know from the original documents that was leaked in 12 that there was no way a sequel was going to be a sequel sequel:

2682086-untitled.png

With that being said you do have to wonder (yet again) why communication is poor. Destiny 2 is a fresh start that lets them start over- But it looks to continue from where the first game looks on, and its content looks like its previous expansions stitched together. So being surprised that people have misguided expectations of something like this with "2" in its name is not super surprising.

Maybe there are major changes to the way the game works that justify breaking from the first game instead of doing expansion? Maybe it's under the hood, in the tech? But regardless, Bungie is not doing a good job at clarifying things. Just like all the PC reveal news was undercut by the release date.

I asked several people in the Destiny threads about this, and Kalamari basically nailed it last year when he said;

Destiny 2 wont be a new game. Knowing Bungie and their penchant for recycling, Destiny 2 will probably include a new zone, maybe a new raid, and a bunch of reskinned assets made to look new.

And really. If Destiny took 5 years of development, and the development team spent the time after 2014 trying to fix destiny while building expansions, there was no way in hell that a sequel would have been a new sequel in the sense of having a new engine and major improvements.
It's just not possible when all your staff is focused on keeping something alive as a service.

Look- Blizzard went through the same thing. After WoW came out, for a long time (quite a few years) Blizzard was not doing anything other than WoW. their development teams where not making strides in other areas. And the reason for that is clear- When you have a MMO, it's not just a game, but a service. A service which takes all your attention and support all of the time.

Bungie is most likely still in a phase of figuring out how it operates effectively, and it will probably take a couple of more years before it figures out how to really get cracking at other projects while it manages to juggle supporting Destiny with lesser staff, lesser resources and more on the backburner.

3 years is nothing for a MMO. Destiny hasn't even really fixed its baby fat yet. It's not riped or matured, and I've always felt it's a weak ass move to say you'll support a game for potentially a decade and then skip bail to a new engine instead of fixing your shit and making your shit amazing.

I think a lot of this frustration comes from calling it Destiny 2. It's a weird naming scheme, but they already called some of their updates 2.0. It's been poorly communicated and articulated and that leads to players having insane expectations, and here we are.

I really hope Destiny 2 will be a game that is fucking massive to the brim with variety and content and loot. Destiny was mamed and plauged by struggling with its tech. It would be nice to think that they have a better workflow now that allows them to pump out better content much faster.
I hope for the best. :)

Definitely disappointed. How do you launch a sequel without different classes or new enemy races? Are we going to be fighting the Cabal, Vex and Hive for the next 8 games?

I think this is a legit complaint for sure.

There absolutely should have been a new class, a new race, and new enemy species. Showing players fighting the same enemies as the original as the same classes probably wasn't the best decision. Especially with the total manpower available to Bungie. You would think They would offer more variety and that's I think totally valid to critique them on.

Nauren

As someone who was very critical of Destiny 1, so much so that I still refuse to buy TTK despite knowing that I'm missing out on the best Destiny has to offer, due to how Activision ran things, I'm still excited for D2.

I see many legitimate concerns, but as a fan of how Destiny 1 played, I'm very ok with everything I've seen. As long as its hefty at launch, I'm down.

I have a question for those who are technically minded and played a bit of Destiny 1. Were there any major graphical updates you noticed for the destiny 2 gameplay? I saw some screen space reflection that I don't think was in Destiny 1, but not much else.

Weather effects were nice and didn't really exist in Destiny 1 from what I remember off the top of my head. I'd love if the patrol spaces had them too.

Drewboy64

The first gameplay reveal was phenomenal. And it's cool to see there might be a story. And as always, the art direction is phenomenal. All the new weapons look great too.

But some things I noticed:
  • I'm still not convinced the worlds will feel big and open. Destiny 1's playspaces felt confined and sectioned off, because they were, and anything that looked cool and explorable was just a skybox. Most of the planets they showed besides Earth had a lot of dark, claustrophobic corridors. I'm really hoping there are big, sprawling landscapes to explore.
  • The Inverted Strike didn't seem that impressive. It was still just very linear gameplay - no alternative paths that you can take to change things up, no mechanics that take advantage of the co-op (Imagine if you had to take a separate path from your friends and defend them with turrets from a high-up vantage point. Or imagine if they had a vehicle like the jeep in Halo, where one person drives and one person shoots). Overall, it just seemed like a strike from Destiny 1, albeit cooler looking.
  • The skill trees don't seem that interesting or customizable, and it would be great to see more classes and more enemy variety
  • Why the hell can you have 4 player fireteams in PVP, but NOT in PVE??

Tecnniqe

Banned

There absolutely should have been a new class, a new race, and new enemy species. Showing players fighting the same enemies as the original as the same classes probably wasn't the best decision. Especially with the total manpower available to Bungie. You would think They would offer more variety and that's I think totally valid to critique them on.

Might come new enemies down the road you know. Or did they say "Nope this is it?"

As a solo player and someone who skipped the first one mainly due to lack of story and emphasis on co-op, I am quite excited for the game. Will wait for reviews to see if they live up to the promis of a good campaign. Untill then I am optimistic for it.

UberLevi

I don't know. They had three years to expand on the current systems and im certainly underwhelmed with what i saw. Going by what Destiny one offered i certainly had low expectations but im still disappointed. Neither the nature or the scope of activities was expanded enough to justify this being a sequel. Hell, it even looks like their development pipeline is still crap, i don't understand why this is essentially all they came up with.

Okay, hear me out. Destiny at launch and Destiny Year 3 are two very different games. And while they were making those expansions for Destiny 1 they were also working on Destiny 2. Is it not inconceivable to consider the fact that they may have been cross developing systems as they went for gameplay parity? Like, they were planning on adding something into Destiny 2 and decided to trial run it in a Destiny 1 expansion to see if it was a worthwhile endeavor based on player feedback? Can Destiny 2 not evolve in the same scope that Destiny 1 did from launch?

Zakalwe

Banned
You know, new classes is not a given. It's an expectation you have because that's what sequels have done before.

Destiny is based solely around the 3 classes we have, that's their design and it's perfectly fine. It doesn't have to be like other games in this regard, the lack of new classes is not a negative here imo.

What is a downer is the sub-classes looking a bit bland/too familiar. They could have a roadmap with more subclasses planned this time, of course, but we'll have to wait for it.

People probably need to drop the expectation of new classes though, I'm pretty certain Destiny will always be about the Hunter/Warlock/Titan trio.

btags

Weather effects were nice and didn't really exist in Destiny 1 from what I remember off the top of my head. I'd love if the patrol spaces had them too.

That would be cool and help make the environments feel a bit more varied after multiple times roaming through them. I'd hope to see some more coverage of their tech improvements. I know bungie games were never the most technically advanced but I always liked seeing vidocs or whatever talking about how they had improved compared to their previous game, especially when Halo Reach launched.

Chris1

I didn't like Destiny 1, have no real interest in 2 either after the reveal.

Did people really expect massive changes though? Destiny 1 was gigantic and the playerbase longevity was something to be seen. Anyone thinking they would deviate very far from the tried and true formula were only kidding themselves (I'm one of them lol)

It does seem like a Modern Warfare 2 -> Modern Warfare 3 sequel.

A blown-up expansion.

Yea that's pretty accurate. Looking at the video, it really didn't look like a sequel, almost all the enemies I saw we're exactly the same, or just had re-skins, AI behavior and patterns we're the same. The strategy for bosses being inflated versions of normal enemies still seemed to be there. Everything down to the UI looked to be nearly identical.

I wasn't disappointed so much as just completely unimpressed. My hope is that the reason for it is that they used all the time available to just create an insane breadth of content. But that would probably be getting my hopes up after the first game.

Might come new enemies down the road you know. Or did they say "Nope this is it?"

Nah I'm sure there is still a lot we haven't seen on D2 yet. For example they brushed over all the new stuff you can do in the Zones now to feel more alive. I'm sure there is still a lot more to see.

I'm more just referring to this actual reveal. They really should have something totally different prepared like nothing we saw in the original and I understand how people would be wary of not having that shown to them. They could have made a pretty big splash by showing the Guardian you are playing as being a new species with a new class fighting a brand new enemy. That would go a looooong way.

As is, though it seems there is no new class or new race, standard fair for MMO type game to introduce with sequels, and so I think it's fair to hold Bungie a bit accountable for not varying things up a bit more

Deadstar

Destiny 2 will be fun, I'm sure. But so was Destiny 1. I just wanted a bigger change than what I saw. If it doesn't "feel" different moment to moment, then I think they made some bad decisions along the way. I wanted to see a little more complexity or maybe some additional power that's available to you other than your melee and grenade power. Something that would add more dynamics to a fight.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Nah I'm sure there is still a lot we haven't seen on D2 yet. For example they brushed over all the new stuff you can do in the Zones now to feel more alive. I'm sure there is still a lot more to see.

I'm more just referring to this actual reveal. They really should have something totally different prepared like nothing we saw in the original and I understand how people would be wary of not having that shown to them. They could have made a pretty big splash by showing the Guardian you are playing as being a new species with a new class fighting a brand new enemy. That would go a looooong way.

As is, though it seems there is no new class or new race, standard fair for MMO type game to introduce with sequels, and so think it's fair to hold Bungie a bit accountable for not varying things up a bit more

Sure, if it turns out like that, they should.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Disappointing reveal and more disappointing confirmation(s) as days pass it seems. Still no real interest in buying/playing D2.

Doc_Drop

A little bit,it just confirmed to me the direction this IP is cementing itself in and it's not for me. But I mostly accepted that after the first pretty much.

I'm happy that the fans are generally happy and I don't feel the same sting as Destiny's reveal to release.

I'll just be keeping my eyes out for the type of FPS RPG Sci-fi mix that someone else will come with

Destiny has over 20 million players, they were never going to dramatically change or overhaul it.

People keep saying this, but expecting the game to have dedicated servers or run better is not a dramatic change or overhaul. It's what people expect from a sequel to a massive game (especially one that is solely built around it's online experience).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well Mr. Xur-avatar, what if I told you...

...some people stopped playing Destiny because they didn't like it anymore. Bungie obviously wants such people to jump back in to D2. Which is why they're calling it D2 and emphasizing the fresh start.

Thank you for pointing out my avatar. That certainly matters in the conversation.

And yes, I'm aware some people stopped playing Destiny because they didn't like. I was replying to excuses being made for why people still play it now.

Gator86

I was expecting a Diablo 1 to Diablo 2 like transition.

Sometimes they will be a different color or have different graphical effects...

My expectations were "this is the shooter that I play for fun that isn't Call of Duty."

So expectations surpassed?

Feels like other expectations were too high. I might like Destiny, but let's face it, we're dealing with Activision here.

Okay, hear me out. Destiny at launch and Destiny Year 3 are two very different games. And while they were making those expansions for Destiny 1 they were also working on Destiny 2. Is it not inconceivable to consider the fact that they may have been cross developing systems as they went for gameplay parity? Like, they were planning on adding something into Destiny 2 and decided to trial run it in a Destiny 1 expansion to see if it was a worthwhile endeavor based on player feedback? Can Destiny 2 not evolve in the same scope that Destiny 1 did from launch?

I've been wondering why I didn't expect more from the reveal and you pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. Thanks to the expansions (especially TKK) Destiny 1 felt like a completely different game a few years after release. Because of this I wasn't expecting them to reinvent the wheel again. The whole idea of naming it "Destiny 2" always felt like an easy way to just make it more appealing to lapsed/new players.

Tagyhag

I was fine with the initial reveal but the impressions afterwards made me realize that Activision has quite the grasp on Bungie.

People keep saying this, but expecting the game to have dedicated servers or run better is not a dramatic change or overhaul. It's what people expect from a sequel to a massive game (especially one that is solely built around it's online experience).

Yeah there is no valid excuse for dedicated servers at this point especially for how much money Destiny brings in. I'd agree there

Rizific

im glad we got some details about the pc version, but i always said just based on my experience with D1 on ps4 that if destiny ever came out on pc that i would be there on day 1. im a tad disappointed, but only because of the no pc footage during the reveal and the delayed pc release.

Zakalwe

Banned
Destiny 2 will be fun, I'm sure. But so was Destiny 1. I just wanted a bigger change than what I saw. If it doesn't "feel" different moment to moment, then I think they made some bad decisions along the way. I wanted to see a little more complexity or maybe some additional power that's available to you other than your melee and grenade power. Something that would add more dynamics to a fight.

Why the hell would you want it to feel different moment to moment? I mean, more refined with some additions sure, but different?

The moment to moment game play in D1 was perfection. The problem was the lack of social tools (fixed) and amount of content at launch.

The expansions - TTK especially - made Destiny 1 a great game. It wasn't perfect, sure, but it also didn't need any kind of drastic overhaul.

Anyone expecting one was being ridiculous.

It's more of the same, with possibly more lore content and better mobility/powers/perks. As someone who like the first Destiny, I wasn't wow'd or anything, but I'm satisfied nonetheless. For those who were still waiting for Destiny 2 to be the Destiny they were given the impression Destiny 1 was supposed to be; I can very easily see why they'd be disappointed.

Hari Seldon

I was hoping this would be a massive improvement on the first game which I found pretty bad, but i went from hopeful to nope after this. I might pick it up on a deep discount a year or so after launch.

gatti-man

The graphics are much sharper and cleaner. I think the biggest problem/thing people are saying looks the same is the textures look to be the same resolution or quality. Models seem to have more polygons but no added complexity.

I'm waiting for the Beta to really pass judgement. But it is disappointing but not surprising. Bungie never blew me away with in game graphics besides halo CE.

Top Bottom