• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions closed beta starts on April 6

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind giving this a shot. I haven't played any kind of Quake multiplayer in a long time.

low-G

OK, I just got an (extra) key for the beta which resumes tomorrow. First person to quote reply to this post gets my key.

Skyzard

Banned
Awww hell yeah, got in with the new account I set up just for it lol. Good that it paid off, I'll share the other one if I get it.

naib

A kind soul gave me a key. As soon as I get one of mine I'll pay it forward.
Hoping they drop tonight or tomorrow. Next wave?

Warming up my LG. >:D

Unkle

Can anyone actually get in? It doesn't let me select a region (presumably it auto-selects), and then I'm put in a queue of like over five hundred because the server's full.

It's fun but I hope it's f2p, otherwise there's probably going to be some issues.
It is F2P or you can pay for a complete version which comes with all the champions.

What I'm worried about is if this is going to stay on Bethesda launcher. If it's not on Steam or another big service, it'll flop.

Skyzard

Banned
It is F2P or you can pay for a complete version which comes with all the champions.

What I'm worried about is if this is going to stay on Bethesda launcher. If it's not on Steam or another big service, it'll flop.

Oh that's a relief. Fuck yeah. Thanks.

I'll add a steam shortcut if they don't want to go through steam. Hopefully others will too... It's Quake!

Day 1

nowarning

Got the code earlier, just had my first game.

Very fun, though I haven't played Quake in a long, long, long time, so I'm happy going 12-10 haha.

It's gonna stay. I don't think it would be on there now if it wasn't meant to stay. Hopefully they can do a big marketing push and get it done properly. I don't really mind the launcher. Fairly low key and it might as well just be called the Quake launcher.

Chumley

Banned
This is a Quake ass Quake game

The skill level is already through the roof though, too many professional players out there these days.

Got a key and spent some time playing, there's stuff to like and stuff not to like, guess I need some more time for it all to sink in. Happy to be able to hold my own in matches, which is definitely not something me old bones can pull off in Q3/QL these days. It's fun, so gonna spend some more time with it for sure.

psn

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much fun this game is.

Game is fun, when the teams are fair. Right now, it has been a mess for me. I started playing with my gf today, both level 4. When we queue together, we always get enemies with lvl20+, and level 1-4 in our team.

So, a group of lvl20+ vs lvl4's ends mostly in a total defeat, we are lucky if we get 10 kills together. Because they don't die that much, they have the absolute best equipment (max armor, max health, good weapons for every encounter) and you aren't able to compete with them, no matter how good your aim is. You spawn alone, they come towards you with 2-3 ppl at once, you are dead within a sec. Even with a railgun and good movement, you are pretty much f*cked because you need to hit them 3+ times.

Played 2hrs and I have already enough, even though I love quake. But the bad matchmaking destroys it for me.

When we queue together and are both level 4, you'd think that the matchmaking system would give you two of the level 20+ guys, and 2 level ~4 guys for the enemy team, so both share the same amount of experienced players. But nope, 4 lvl20+ vs 4 lvl<5 seems fair enough for the matchmaking sytem.

Sure feels like quake! Really like the movement and game play, not to found of the idea of champions with abilities though.

The process of getting into a game is quite long as well, first match making, then some connecting, then some exposure for the map and game mode. Then some warmup...

mrlion

For those not getting kills and having a hard time (I started playing Quake since Quake 2), you might want to remove yourself from modern FPS conventions.

- Never stop in one place, always be running everywhere on the map.
- Memorize where the powerups, ammo, weapons, health, and armor are.
- Rockets are your friends, don't just run on a straight line, use rockets to jump around unexpected corners, change up your pattern a bit.
- When shooting don't just stand and shoot, move and run around your opponent.

Practice all this until you can do it so fast it becomes second nature and your skill level will increase tenfold.

wwm0nkey

Well right now the matchmaking system is a bit off too so there will be unfair games.

After playing more I'll retract my statement about this dying if it's not on Steam. The game play it's good enough to carry it I think

Animal

Banned
You cannot complain about matchmaking fairness during a closed beta where the player numbers are so low.

Game is surprisingly fun!

Pachimari

I guess they just need a lot of hits to die? Since all I'm seeing are 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 popping up while blowing my machine gun on them.

KingKong

I guess they just need a lot of hits to die? Since all I'm seeing are 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 popping up while blowing my machine gun on them.

Your first order of business when you respawn should be to get a new weapon, memorize where the rocket launcher and lightning gun are on each map (railgun too but its a tough weapon for beginners)

I kept getting DCd from matches so I could not play, but Enginewise this is very interesting. idtech 6 has seen so major upgrades even over Doom 2016. It is quite impressive.

mtm5925

idtech 6 has seen so major upgrades even over Doom 2016. It is quite impressive.

It's id Tech 5 + Sabre tech (Halo Anniversaries)

“We had such success with Vulkan and Doom that Robert Duffy, our chief technology officer, was like, ‘alright guys, this worked out well for us. So we need to do it [with Quake].’ But we still have to look at it, because Quake Champions’ technology is part id tech, but also part Saber tech. It is not on Id Tech 6 [game engine]. If it was, it would be all good with Vulkan and we would be happy.”

http://segmentnext.com/2016/08/11/q...-tech-6-vulkan-support-remains-a-possibility/

Velikost

Only got to play a few matches; sucks their beta windows are so small. Feels good, but I'm not digging the hero abilities; hope they have a mode where that shit is turned off. Game seems optimized really well too.

Xyber

I'm very pleased with the performance. Sits between 150-190FPS with all settings turned up at 1440p with 120FoV.

I do have a 1080Ti, but that performance is still very impressive.

Oscar

First time playing anything Quake (Does Unreal Tournament count?), and I enjoyed the beta this weekend.

Nyx's Ghost Walk seems OP compared to the other Champs' abilities.

Shifty

Couldn't get a match all weekend.

Load in, matchmake, accept match, then all but two players would ready up and it'd error out so hard it needed a restart before I could try again.

Quake Chump-ions more like.

Its nice to see the praise in this thread, staring fruitlesly at the F2P-tastic menu while trying to get in has been rough...

Unain

Hope we get a pure mode, because this abilities crap and heroes having different hp/armor/speed values is annoying.

Quake should be a level playing field.

Ont

Hope we get a pure mode, because this abilities crap and heroes having different hp/armor/speed values is annoying.

Quake should be a level playing field.

That would be a mistake. You cannot split the community to a pure old school mode and vanilla mode. You would end up with two separate games, neither of which has enough players to support a healthy community. Veteran players need to be mixed together with the new players in order for the game to have a future as an arena shooter.

I like their approach of making some advanced movement mechanics character specific. It’s a good mix of old and new.

Willits already said there will be a pure mode in custom games.

They've walked back on that since that original quote, which makes me worry if they'll even put it in or if they do obscure it behind a lot of menus to the point that it's barren compared to the main matchmaking. I think they know if they put something like that in it would be a kind of 'giving up' on the new style of game they want to make.

Top Bottom