• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Epic says UE4 not targeted at Wii U on GTTV, Epic responds [Updated Again]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update 2:

Crazy thread! This isn't new news guys. When I interviewed Mike Capps at GDC for GTTV, I asked him on camera about whether UE4 was targeted for Wii-U, and he said that no, UE3 is more in line with Wii-U(or something like that). That's all I was referencing in the @ reply.

Update 1: Epic: Unreal Engine 4 Platforms 'Unconfirmed Beyond PC'

Epic Games has confirmed to NowGamer that it has yet to confirm which platforms Unreal Engine 4 will be compatible with - other than PC.

---

Well, since Geoff reads NeoGAF, I figure that at minimum we can get him to clarify if Epic very specifically ruled this out at GDC, or if he is just assuming this because Mark Rein talked about running UE3 on Wii U at GDC.

Since Geoff just filmed a large UE4 episode/infomercial however, I'm guessing he asked directly enough at GDC to not ask again?

ue4nowiiucmur3.png

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/geoffkeighley/status/207297539085578240

As a side note, he also shares some of what will be shown in the episode.

ue4part2o577d.png

Boss Man

I'm surprised people were expecting it to.

The Wii U is going to be exactly like the Wii was in terms of software, except it will have a lot of ports from this gen.

Azure J

this thread should serve as a nice preview of next week and the following months to come.

I had every opportunity to be the first poster in here but knew that this would not go down well for similar reasons. :lol

That being said, wat.son

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Is very clear he's basing it at GDC info. About the upcoming UE4 episode, I believe the presentation is going to be hardware agnostic or based on PC hardware.

Ponn

Banned
I predict 20 plus pages of people over analyzing every word in his tweet and coming up with reasons why he is not a credible source. People are still in the denial stage, after E3 we will probably move to the bargaining stage.

KillGore

People thought Wii U was powerful enough to run UE4?
lol

I'm not sure what are the requirements to run UE4, I guess I haven't followed that. Doesn't the vita run UE3? (I honestly do not know, don't laugh LOL) so I didn't think we would need super computers to run the engine.

Isn't this engine 2 years away from commercial use/release?
What features could it possible include that wouldn't work on a current, mordern set up?

I always figured this. It probably won't run the engine the way it is intended to run/look. I still think it'll run on some base level though.

Neiteio

Wait, what? Were people thinking a system that's basically a souped-up PS3/360 was going to run UE4?

Can't wait for WiiU, don't get me wrong. I was never expecting it to be a next-gen leap, though. Just by far and away the definitive version of the current HD consoles.

entremet

Nintendo really can't take a bath on hardware like Sony and MS, which are both unsustainable business models really. Those companies do other things than gaming.

Well that's a shame... does this mean the Wii U isn't that powerful then?

I don't think anyone expected the Wii U (or even 720/PS4) to be comparable to a Kepler/GTX 680. The question is how close the latter two can get while still being price competitive and smaller than a subwoofer.

Isn't this engine 2 years away from commercial use/release?
What features could it possible include that wouldn't work on a current, mordern set up?

It's probably DX11 minimum feature-wise.

The Wii U is going to be exactly like the Wii was in terms of software, except it will have a lot of ports from this gen.

...until the new consoles from MS/Sony release, and then we'll be right back to square one ;) I can already smell history repeating itself ~3 years down the road

I don't think anyone expected the Wii U (or even 720/PS4) to be comparable to a Kepler/GTX 680. The question is how close the latter two can get while still being price competitive and smaller than a subwoofer.

I think it was possible that Epic would've done some heavy optimization and maybe some concessions to get UE4 running on the WiiU if the hardware was even close. I mean, I fully expect UE4 itself to be further optimized before it starts being widely used anyway. To know that the WiiU can't run UE4 in any capacity doesn't speak well for the power of the console.

Salsa

UE4 isnt even near commercial release.. I dont understand what people were expecting here. They JUST revealed the thing.

Meier

Doesn't mean that it won't be capable of running UE4 at some point but I guess we'll see. Sad but not entirely surprising.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Seems like speculation from Geoff's part.

I don't expect it to run UE4 anyway.

I'm not sure what are the requirements to run UE4, I guess I haven't followed that. Doesn't the vita run UE3? (I honestly do not know, don't laugh LOL) so I didn't think we would need super computers to run the engine.

It can, but until someone optimizes it, it looks very rough (Mortal Kombat).

There was definitely no on-the-record GDC interview with Mike Capps where he said anything of the kind.

The wishful-Nintendo-fanboy-thinking scenario would be that Geoff misremembered Mark Rein's Wii U/UE3 comments from GDC and misattributed them to Capps, but I'm doubtful that this is actually the case. Sigh.

Top Bottom