• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Africa PS3 Launch - Staff out number customers (at non-launch event)

Thursday night saw the rather unsuccesful launch of the PS3 down here in South Africa. There wasn't even a need for a queue... I think only 6 units were sold at the Midnight Launch... WOW

993.jpg

More pics and info abouth the South African Launch here - EL33TONLINE - South African PS3 Midnight Launch

They did however give a PS3 away to the best dressed person, a competition where you had to dress up as your favorite PlayStation character... Devil Gin won, i muct admit it is a cool prize (even if it is a PS3, heck you could sell it and buy like 15 wii games with the money!)

994.jpg

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Nintendude said:
They did however give a PS3 away to the best dressed person, a competition where you had to dress up as your favorite PlayStation character... Devil Gin won, i muct admit it is a cool prize (even if it is a PS3, heck you could sell it and buy like 15 wii games with the money!)

I don't know about 15 wii games but you can probably sell it and get a down payment for a Wii.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Nintendude said:
They did however give a PS3 away to the best dressed person, a competition where you had to dress up as your favorite PlayStation character... Devil Gin won

994.jpg

I bet he was the only one who entered the competition too

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so what other places did PS3 launch tank in?

So far

South Africa
New Zealand
Australia
France

that I know of

The 360 launched in South Africa last year september, and is so far doing really well. Before the Xbox 360, playstation held the market with just about every gamer in the country having a ps2 as it was the only console available - the Nintendo distributor only brought in 1000 game cubes! WTF!

Epiphyte

Nintendude said:
The 360 launched in South Africa last year september, and is so far doing really well. Before the Xbox 360, playstation held the market with just about every gamer in the country having a ps2 as it was the only console available - the Nintendo distributor only brought in 1000 game cubes! WTF!
It's worse now:
South African Nintendo Distributor Pulls The Plug

Nintendo seems to have a habit of using really sketchy distributors outside of the main territories. I know that their old Korean partner was shitty as hell.

Forsete

Thanks for the info Nintendodude!

catfish said:

So far

South Africa
New Zealand
Australia
France

that I know of

Based on what? A pic of a lonely dude? :lol

Im sure when I was in south africa a couple of years ago the original xbox had just launched....I thought they got things slow of their

Hey quit with the dissing of South Africa mate..your acting like an estaban....fong kong

peace

South Africa still counts dude, it's a part of the launch and therefore a gives us a better image of the whole. However this guy's username does make me a bit suspicious.

le.phat

catfish said:

So far

South Africa
New Zealand
Australia
France

that I know of

i heard it tanked in Bolivia, Afghanistan, Rwanda north AND south Korea aswell.
poor sony....

Orlics

le.phat said:
its south africa dude :lol
does anyone, ANYONE give a shit about the VG market in south africa ?
you guys are so very very eager to jump the smear wagon :lol

Some of us just want to see the state of video games in other areas around the world aside from the usual US, Japan, and Europe. South Africa is a great country too. :p

typhonsentra said:
South Africa still counts dude, it's a part of the launch and therefore a gives us a better image of the whole. However this guy's username does make me a bit suspicious.

Don't worry, the user name is just a name, and for the record i own a PS2, Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii, DS and just recently pawned my PSP. :)

909er

le.phat said:
its south africa dude :lol
does anyone, ANYONE give a shit about the VG market in south africa ?
you guys are so very very eager to jump the smear wagon :lol

South Africa still has a pretty decent economy though (provided it doesn't continue it's descent down the crapper). It probably has a videogame market that can support a couple hundred thousand systems. Although it's an assumption on my part, I would say that it's probably one of the bigger of the countries in the "other" category.

Forsete

Nintendude said:
Compare this.. to the absolute awesome launch that Xbox 360 threw... it was unbelievable...

A little bit diffrent dont you think?

ZOMG ONE STORE.. AM FAIL! Compared to a rock consert 360 launch party. I wish we still had good 'ol Mr. Rolleyes.

gogogow

Nintendude said:
Compare this.. to the absolute awesome launch that Xbox 360 threw... it was unbelievable...
Compare what? A random store selling PS3s versus a official launch party organized by MS?
Awesome. Comparison.
:lol

bigfurb

Nintendude said:

xboxstand2.jpg

launcharea2sm.jpg

launchlights.jpg

You can see all the pics at this link too: EL33TONLINE - Xbox 360 South African Launch

Bruh, next time you want to troll, don't actually link to the article. FUD is ruined when factual information is given

Sony’s PS3 launched across South Africa at midnight last night. Although Sony had organised launch parties for Cape Town and Johannesburg, Durban lost out on an official launch party. However, some gaming stores still kept the spirits of would-be PS3 owners up with competitions and displays of the capabilities of the PS3.

If you want to give comparison pictures of the launch parties of the 360 and PS3, next time show pictures from the actual PS3 launch parties.

Boerseun

Banned
Hey, I know that dude! :lol

Microsoft has spent a ton of money marketing the 360 in South Africa. This has included installing plants on major local forums and magazines, or buying influence with established organisations and news outlets.

This process did lead to a huge launch, but it wasn't a month before 360's started appearing on the second-hand market. Today, a few months on, people are dumping their 360's hand over foot - I picked up Lost Planet just this morning, mint condition, the original receipt was still inside, I had paid slightly less than a third what it cost the original owner new only a few weeks ago.

Very few people around here can afford HD gaming. I reckon Sony (or rather the local licensee, a movie distribution company, Ster-Kinekor), was just stupid for thinking the PS3 would be a local success at this point in time (they should have waited AT LEAST a full year, maybe two), when the 360 had been a failure, leaving a bad, overpriced taste in many local gamers' mouths.

Anyway, the PS2 console and games are cheap and the format is still doing great. But it should, considering it has zero competition. We don't have the Wii yet, but rumours abound that we'll be seeing it by year's end. Hopefully that will change things.

One last point: go read that second paragraph again; because of Microsoft's moneyhats the local press has badmouthed the PS3 at every turn while hailing the 360 as a gaming revolution (only stopping short of calling it the second coming). The bias in that article linked by Nintendude is more than apparent.

909er

gogogow said:
Compare what? A random store selling PS3s versus a official launch party organized by MS?
Awesome. Comparison.

Actually, it might be relevant. Did Sony bother with an official event in S. Africa for launch? If it didn't and MS did, I think that's says alot. MS views South Africa as a growth market. South Africa, despite the post-apartheid issues that have sprung up, still retained the developed infrastructure and banking system, and that's allowed its economy to stay fairly strong. If South Africa manages to get some of it's bigger issues under control (widespread poverty, huge disparity in income, AIDS), it has the potentially to be a relatively large market for videogames. As it is, it has enough of a middle and upper class to justify that kind of support. And I suspect MS wants every little bit of help it can get in world wide numbers, since Japan is pretty much zero for them.

Edit: Saw 2 posts up, Sony had their own official thing. So I guess what I was trying to say was irrelevent.

mintylurb

http://www.el33tonline.com/main/show_news/2865

Oh, looky!

"Sony’s PS3 launched across South Africa at midnight last night. Although Sony had organised launch parties for Cape Town and Johannesburg, Durban lost out on an official launch party. However, some gaming stores still kept the spirits of would-be PS3 owners up with competitions and displays of the capabilities of the PS3." Guess where those pictures are from.

Edit: beaten by bigfurb

medrew

909er said:
South Africa still has a pretty decent economy though (provided it doesn't continue it's descent down the crapper). It probably has a videogame market that can support a couple hundred thousand systems. Although it's an assumption on my part, I would say that it's probably one of the bigger of the countries in the "other" category.

Umm, the South African economy has been going along very nicely for the last 5 years with continued growth. It's in far better shape than it was previously and there has been a little decline in the inequality gap. It's actually in pretty good shape all things considered with some reverse migration in recent years.
In saying that I would say you'd still have a fairly decent gamer base with just the Afrikaans/British/other peoples (saying this in that they have historically been the more wealthy for various reasons...) making up 4 million or so of the population.

ram

le.phat said:
poor sony....

no way, that the ps3 tanked in afghanistan!!! the taliban bought 500 pieces to control their mass destruction weapons.

medrew said:
I guess this shows the poster's knowledge of world affairs

He was just trying to be cute, I'm sure. If one was so inclined to be cute in return, they could respond to him by saying that he forgot Canada, Japan, and the US on his list, but I can't see how that would help the current discourse much.

909er

medrew said:
Umm, the South African economy has been going along very nicely for the last 5 years with continued growth. It's in far better shape than it was previously and there has been a little decline in the inequality gap. It's actually in pretty good shape all things considered with some reverse migration in recent years.
In saying that I would say you'd still have a fairly decent gamer base with just the Afrikaans/British/other peoples (saying this in that they have historically been the more wealthy for various reasons...) making up 4 million or so of the population.

My reasons for thinking that S. Africa's economy is problematic is due to the huge percent of unemployed. I know the economy itself is doing well, but having that large a chunk of your population unemployed and also dealing with problems such as AIDS and the after effects of apartheid is a powder keg waiting to blow. It takes just one crazy political leader to throw everything down the drain. If such issues are kept in check and dealt with properly, the economy will move along nicely and will grow.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Forsete said:
A little bit diffrent dont you think?

ZOMG ONE STORE.. AM FAIL! Compared to a rock consert 360 launch party. I wish we still had good 'ol Mr. Rolleyes.

It's gonna be ok forsete. I promise (or not) just stand up and back away from the keyboard. I'd really hate to see you go the way of alltogether andrews

This intervention is in hopes of preventing another meltdown too many gaffers are falling by the wayside

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Nintendude said:

994.jpg

and the sad thing is that it was the guy in red who won

909er

TheProfessor said:
He was being sarcastic showing that South Africa is worthless to mention for sales.

South Korea is a pretty big market for games outside of the big 3 of US, Japan and UK(I refuse to count all of Europe as one market, since it's not the Asian region or the North American region that's being compared). The last official numbers I got were off of Famitsu's site a few years back that showed about half a million Xbox's and 2 million PS2s sold. Smaller, but still significant and definitely not on the level of those other countries.

I think the point that the point medrew was trying to make is that comparing South Korea and South Africa to those other nations is ignorant. Both S. Korea and S. Africa are developed nations, considered to be among the 50 richest in the world. And in the case of S. Korea, has a bigger economy and gaming market than most nations in Europe do.

JCBossman

Banned
I hear Microsoft is in negotiations to change the old reparation from, 40 acres and a mule to something more revelant like 40 acres and a X360(39 acres IF you wanna Zepher) :) Just a joke...

nightez

Banned
South Africa isn't as bad as you guys think. Half the population of South Africa lives in equal to or better than First World country conditions. There's alot of mad wealthy cats down there.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
le.phat said:
poor sony....

Someone please post the map of the world according to Americans.

Guess what dipshit, in PAL territories, people are interested to know about the launch of the newest console. Now how bout you post lots of great news from where it did exceedingly well since you are so emotionally invested in Sony.

South Africa isn't as bad as you guys think. Half the population of South Africa lives in equal to or better than First World country conditions. There's alot of mad wealthy cats down there.

I can't wait, I want 500 gram steaks BBQs and safaris. It's the next place I'm going to go. Except for maybe le.phats state in America, that place sounds AWESOME.

spwolf

Durban, South Africa
Pity the poor people who queued up outside Durban's branch of CNA. Not only was the Sony-sponsored launch party antics restricted to the cities of Cape Town and Johannesburg, but the retailer's PlayStation 3 order didn't even make it to the store, and the whole midnight launch thing was cancelled

eh

Top Bottom