• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita x Inafune) - Conference impressions and videos added to OP

duckroll

Conference Update:

Official Site (English): http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/soulsacrifice/en/

Impressions from Jonnyram:

They didn't specify either way but it seems mission-based, like MH. If you die in a battle, and are sacrificed to do your mental attacks, you don't get anything for beating the boss. Only the surviving players get stuff. So it was mentioned that players could tell their mates to sacrifice them and be the hero so the others can win.

They showed a load of attack types. If you use stones, you can make a stone wall shield and carry it around to protect players, or you can surround yourself in a big round boulder and roll around the stage. Wood can be made into a light attack sword. You can attack with your blood (like shot attacks). There were fire and lightning attacks though they didn't show what resources were needed. The whole game moves at a brisk pace — you can dart around quickly.

Oh and it seems Mitsuda is doing way more than one track. The two composers seem to be handling half each. The song of Mitsuda's they played was from the beginning when you first find the book. It had female vocals and was full of depression with a tinge of hope. The idea of the story seems to give the prisoner hope.

Alright, I think this is how it goes, but don't all rip on me if I'm a little wrong. When an enemy, or an ally, is slain, if you move close to the body, your two palms rise up. One is "rescue" (救済), the other is "sacrifice" (犠牲). For regular enemies, and maybe for allies too, it just takes one player to decide. For the main boss, all players vote, but I'm not sure if they're doing it for their own result, or for a joint result.

The other thing to mention, when a monster, or an ally, is down/hurt, you'll see red text showing up saying stuff like "I want to be with my family" or "I don't want to die". Stuff that's supposed to tug on those heart strings and show that they were once real people, but have somehow gone astray.

First official trailer:

Cam gameplay videos from the event:

--------

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201205/10014403.html (copy and paste in address bar)

Production Planning: Comcept (Keiji Inafune)
Development: Marvelous AQL
Producion: SCE Japan Studio
Producer: Kentarou Motomura
Assistant Producer: Teruyuki Toriyama
Music: Yasunori Mitsuda, Wataru Hokoyama

http://andriasang.com/con0xf/soul_sacrifice_magic/
The big catch for Keiji Inafune's PlayStation Vita action title Soul Sacrifice is not the "soul," as many had initially expected, but the "sacrifice." As detailed earlier in the day, Soul Sacrifice has you sacrifice body parts to perform powerful magic.

Why would you torture yourself to kill your foes? This is actually part of the background story. You play as a slave who serves a cruel sorcerer.

It appears that you may be fighting people like yourself. Screenshots show massive creatures who apparently used their powerful magic too much and lost their human form.

http://andriasang.com/con0xm/soul_sacrifice_update/
As detailed earlier, the main character is someone who was raised by a cruel sorcerer. Just as the main character is about to be given as a sacrificial offering, a special book appears before him. This book is a demon in book form. It contains the records of past fights between the sorcerer and monsters.

The player enters the world of the book and experiences the stories and fights depicted therein.

Old thread is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473273

----

Screens:

nyWsH.jpg

WOJvC.jpg

Zgjzl.jpg

IC0h6.jpg

0DpwE.jpg

cqNy5.jpg

Logo and art:

cb2vy.jpg

uSPh0.jpg

sSA8s.jpg

TfDZw.jpg

aCMAj.jpg

RE9la.jpg

ReaperXL7

Come on brother, read the OP.

Lots of pretty cool screenshots too. I hope this makes it over.

ahh nevermind, I did, but I missed that line.

thanks.

It's so weird to see Sony giving a huge push to such a gruesome looking game.

Is it? God of War has always done very well for them, I don't think it's strange at all really, maybe more strange that they are pushing it in Japan though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God DAMN. This looks awesome.

I was interested in this, hoping it would be from From Software. But this looks crappy.

If you overdo it you lose the effect. They are trying too hard to be shocking with all the gore, it just looks tacky, like a low budget b-horror movie.

I also don't understand what Sony is doing with yet another niche title for the Vita, this system needs games with mass market appeal that can sell well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looks cool. The gore doesn't look tasteless.

I was interested in this, hoping it would be from From Software. But this looks crappy.

If you overdo it you lose the effect. They are trying too hard to be shocking with all the gore, it just looks tacky, like a low budget b-horror movie.

I also don't understand what Sony is doing with yet another niche title for the Vita, this system needs games with mass market appeal that can sell well.

funny...I remember a LOT of people saying Demon Souls looked crap after the initial showing.

I am not massively enamoured with the concept, but a dark fantasy setting has me interested and this looks pretty damn impressive considering its on a handheld

Nemesis_

This looks amazing, should it turn out good I might even consider buying a Vita. Pretty excited to see more of this for sure.

Top Bottom