• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
This doesn't change a thing. Still a top notch handheld with Nintendo games.

This.

Glad this is over and done with. Now more people can talk about upcoming games for the system.
Or hell the NeoGAF past time of being armchair analysts and talking about specs instead of enjoying the games releasing by played them

Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

Pascal based tegra doesn't exist in mobile applications as far as I can tell. Perhaps the yields just are not good or they want to wait out a potentially smaller node size?

Absolutely disgusting. Nintendo really couldn't go for the TX2 to make the Switch not an underpowered piece of trash?

And I'm saying this as a Switch owner. I hope this bombs like the WiiU all over again. Nintendo just can't learn their lesson.

These meltdown posts are something else.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Doesn't the BIGlittle architecture mean it can only use the different CPU cores at different times?

Yeah, via Cluster switching, so if you're using the A57 cores, the A53's are unavailable and visa-versa:

Big.Little_Cluster_Switching.png

Those A53's are not going to be used at all, so wasted silicon really, although fortunately they are tiny so are not wasting that much die area.

guek

Banned
Many were hoping it would be the X2 which would put the Switch significantly closer to the Xbone, meaning it would increase the possibility for 3rd party ports

Not really. The biggest difference the X2 would have made would be in battery life.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, thereitis.webm.

As it was most likely and expected. And as was said multiple times by Eurogamer. I hope now we can move on from the Foxconn clocks and 16nm dreams.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Many were hoping it would be the X2 which would put the Switch significantly closer to the Xbone, meaning it would increase the possibility for 3rd party ports

Folks really need to understand that the "Third Parties on Nintendo Hardware" ship has sailed no matter what hardware Nintendo puts out.

i seriously can't figure out if this is a joke post or not.

This is a little concerning.

They clearly got a good deal on X1's which is why they went with it and didn't Digital Foundry say in their video analysis of the tech that there wouldn't have been a large performance difference between an X2 and and X1?

Switch wouldn't cost the same as it does now if they went for an X2.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
I bet you'll see holiday Switch bundles for $249.

Why do people keep saying this? Nintendo is notoriously stingy, even during the holidays (which was why that $99 3DS was such a huge deal). You'll see bundles, but not for that price. $300 with pack in Mario Kart or Splatoon 2. No way are they gonna pack in a game AND lower the price, even for black friday.

Oregano

Yeah and a whole lot of great games won't come because of what it's running on

The Nvidia X1 is the still the best stock chip Nintendo could have gone with. They could have customised it but we really have no idea about the economics/feasibility of a big difference.

HowZatOZ

Banned
People were expecting that the chip in the Switch was customized because, you now, Nvidia said so themselves.

Thank god I didn't bite and bought it at launch day. I would feel very betrayed right now.
Why are people feeling betrayed with gaming hardware? Does it not still play games? If everyone cared so much about hardware they'd just play PC's and we wouldn't have consoles. It was clear from the start that the Switch wasn't as powerful as the PS4, doesn't mean we suddenly stop getting games because the die has been confirmed. Some people put way too much emotion into hardware wars.

Davey Cakes

The Shield is $200 and doesn't come with Joy-Cons or anything else that Nintendo has included with the Switch so I guess the $300 price tag makes some sense.

Well, thereitis.webm.

As it was most likely and expected. And as was said multiple times by Eurogamer. I hope now we can move on from the Foxconn clocks and 16nm dreams.

Did Eurogamer say it was stock? I genuinely thought that because Nvidia said the chip was custom there would be some memory adjustments.

Rodin

What the A53 cores are still in there? Lol

At least they can be used to run the OS so that the console can use the 4 A57 for games, right?

And what about SRAM? No way it handles games at up to 4.5x the resolution compared to Wii U with 25.6GB/s.

You realize the gap between PS3 and X1 isn't small?
But do you realize that being between those is actually pretty crazy for a tablet sized device

Why do people keep saying this? Nintendo is notoriously stingy, even during the holidays (which was why that $99 3DS was such a huge deal). You'll see bundles, but not for that price. $300 with pack in Mario Kart or Splatoon 2. No way are they gonna pack in a game AND lower the price, even for black friday.
If sales drop, they will absolutely do that. Why else do you think Nintendo did a quick price drop for the 3DS or even did that $100 price drop for the GameCube? They didn't do it for the Wii U because they knew that it was more or less dead in the water

Like that explanation ahah
Well it is quite accurate. But, hey, Piccolo was still an awesome character and I'm expecting the same from the Switch

These meltdown posts are something else.

Ehh... I would feel the same. Nvidia said themselves its a customized Tegra, which is not the case and this is revealed after launch day so some people didn't even knew what they bought. This is misleading advertising. It is no joke. My question: How can you NOT be outrageous about this?!

The Shield is $200 and doesn't come with Joy-Cons or anything else that Nintendo has included with the Switch so I guess the $300 price tag makes some sense.

I would have gladly taken a 200 dollar switch without joycons or any of the other stuff lol. That would be a no brainer day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom