• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors whose career crashed and burned after a hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Some of the choices in this thread are baffling. I wasn't aware that having a known career with a huge hit at some point during it was the same as having a single hit then falling off the map. Christopher Lloyd, Ian McKellan, F. Murray Abraham...REALLY?!

Even someone like Orlando Bloom hardly qualifies, he was in SIX of the highest grossing movies of the last decade, trilogies or not. Cuba is the best answer. Jerry McGuire to Snow Dogs in record time.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
No mention of Hilllary Swank yet?

Double Oscar winner and seems to have disappeared off our screens.

Eddie Murphy. The Shrek movies were decent early on, but then they started to suck ass and he hasn't done jack shit worth a fuck in the last 10 years other than the first 2 Shreks.

The benchmark is 'big hit'.

Right... so he didn't play Magneto in all 3 X-men movies? Those weren't big hits? And the upcoming pair of Hobbit movies, those won't make a billion dollars each?

What?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
star_trek_chris_pine.jpg

If by burned out, you mean about to explode. Chris Evans better watch his mothafuckin' BACK

WUgw6.jpg

Always wondered why both didn't make it big, especially Savage.

Savage directed one of the best shows on TV brah. Matter of fact, i'd say right when he stopped was when the show started getting shitty.

Some of the choices in this thread are baffling. I wasn't aware that having a known career with a huge hit at some point during it was the same as having a single hit then falling off the map. Christopher Lloyd, Ian McKellan, F. Murray Abraham...REALLY?!

Even someone like Orlando Bloom hardly qualifies, he was in SIX of the highest grossing movies of the last decade, trilogies or not. Cuba is the best answer. Jerry McGuire to Snow Dogs in record time.

This...I'll add Al Pacino to your "wtf?!?" list.

Some of the actors in this thread are among the most successful of all time. So Pacino hasn't had a good movie in a few years...who gives a shit? He never crashed and burned, he just got old.

Jim Cavizel. He was Jesus in a huge hit and then completely disappeared.

Person of Interest says hi, one of the best new shows on TV.

In the first post, I mean actors that are still trying to work after their hit. So after Seinfeld, Dreyfus, Alexander, and Richardson all kept trying to work, but only Dreyfus' career remained great. Alexander's seemed to stagnate, Richardson's crashed and burned.

I'm pretty sure I saw Jason Alexander on one of the Comedy Central Roasts.

Revolver

Black Swan wasn't that long ago right? And didn't she recently have a kid? I feel like she'll still be on the upswing for at least 3 mire years.

I know it's premature to say Portman, but her string of stinkers after Black Swan concerns me. I like her and would hate to see her disappear. Elizabeth Shue and Hillary Swank are good answers. They really fell off.

I didn't know the only possible definition of success was being the top-billed star of multiple Hollywood studio movies that make hundreds of millions every year. Ian MacKellan, really? Dude does Shakespeare in London when he doesn't have a movie going on. He's doing fine.

tino

Banned
I know it's premature to say Portman, but her string of stinkers after Black Swan concerns me. I like her and would hate to see her disappear. Elizabeth Shue and Hillary Swank are good answers. They really fell off.

How can you keep naming Portman if she is the most successful actress working now? Also Swank is an over achiever.

Raxus

A chunk of these 'disappearances' still make the rounds in TV. A chunk turned into really good voice actors (Mark Hamill). Some go onto Broadway (Radcliff). Outside of career suicide most still manage to find work. Hell I keep seeing people from Arrested Development pop up all over my TV and movie theaters.

mattp

Yep, Always Sunny and most recently Happy Endings, which he also had a small role in. Funny stuff.

His episode as a rapist who defends himself in court on SVU was really good too.

he also was involved in party down. directed a few episodes i think?

Clive Owen
Emile Hirsch

Emile Hirsch was in 3 movies in the last 2 years (including the darkest hour which released 4 months ago (tomorrow)

And Clive Owen had 2 films last year... Not including the recently screened Shadow Dancer.

Would hardly call either of those careers crash and burned. A lot of you seem to assume that if the movie isn't widely known, than the career has died. In which case, Clive owen's career died shortly after Children of Men

What about Wesley Snipes? Tax evasion causes crashing and burning? :p

Its already been said but the main reason for shit roles for Gooding Jr seems to be Will Smiths rise. he even said himself the good roles stopped coming once he really took off(shortly after his Oscar win). Makes sense.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You're giving Aniston too much credit. The success she's had is almost always due to a male costar. She's a decent co-star, not the star of the picture.
Still the most successful of all the friends. She deserves credit for horrible bosses as well.

I don't know if she's riding off the back of male costars, I would have thought she had a large female audience.

SteveWD40

Kilmer is apparently a nightmare to work with. That goes a long way to sinking your career. Then he got fat.

Some of the women mentioned probably took a break to raise a family.

He bowed out with the terrific Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and the underrated Spartan, just before his bloat took over and he became Jupiters new moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom