• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Hey guys, I just finished looking inside my broken Japanese Saturn and here's what I found with respect to the power supply. N.b. while I'm technically an electrical engineer, I work as a programmer and haven't done any real hardware work since my senior project outside of breaking retro game consoles.

Anyway, a general description of the circuit can be described as follows:

Vin->transformer->fuse->voltage regulator->power delivery circuitry.

The voltage regulator is labeled as a C5215. I couldn't find any documentation on that specific chip but 5215 seems to be common as a surface mount chip nowadays. Looking at digikey, the 5V version operates well up to 13.2V input. Assuming Sega used a 100:9 transformer, a 120Vac input would output a 10.8Vac which is well below the rated voltage of the regulator. Regardless, there is also a fuse in the way so I doubt there's really much risk of damaging the regulator or any of the circuitry beyond it. If you're going to break anything it will be the fuse and that's incredibly simple to fix.

That said, there's probably a lot of systems out there that weren't designed to that tolerance, especially systems with more limited runs that weren't intended for use outside of Japan. I'm guessing Sega designed the Saturn's power supply so that it would work in both Japan and the US. Why waste engineering resources on multiple power supplies if you don't have to?

I still don't know why my Saturn doesn't work though which is a bummer. I get absolutely no life out of it. I can tell you that it isn't because I plugged it into the wall in America though. I got no response the moment I plugged it in from Japan. If it was an issue with US power, there would have been a light flash or something before it died. Also, my fuse is perfectly intact and none of the circuitry in the power supply shows any visible signs of damage. I guess without hooking it up to a DMM I won't know for sure if there's any power but it's past midnight so that'll have to wait until another day.

Thanks for sharing that.

A fuse is only "incredibly simple to fix" for someone who knows what they're doing. ;-) Which, I assume, will be a minority of gamers.

Apparently there is something like "Samsung Saturns", see here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230393764&postcount=15297
So SEGA did seem to have "wasted engineering resources" on multiple PSUs.

Hope you do eventually manage to breath some new life in your console.

FN-2187

Let's say you own
Guardian heroes
Albert Odyssey
Shining Force 3
Die hard arcade
Panzer dragoon 1&2
Astal
Powerslave
Duke nukem
Quake

What game would you buy next other than PDS?

World Series Baseball II?

It may not be a rare, ridiculously expensive game like most on that impressive list, but it is the best baseball game ever made.

Laws00

There is this Sega Saturn that i'd like to buy. It's a white boxed Japanese region free and it plays back ups.

Only problem and it's not really a problem the seller is from Russia lol.

All this tension with them from USA i'm on the fence of buying this item. Customs, searching, etc. I know I shouldn't be worried it's just video games. The other option is going lame and buying ANOTHER a region free model 2 USA with a phantom chip inside.

I already have 2 USA model 2 Sega Saturns but none of them are region lock or chipped. (I got a real got it real good deal on it from a friend for 20 bucks and a lot of games)

piggychan

Let's say you own
Guardian heroes
Albert Odyssey
Shining Force 3
Die hard arcade
Panzer dragoon 1&2
Astal
Powerslave
Duke nukem
Quake

If money isn't an issue..

Shining The Holy Ark
Saturn Bomberman
Magic Knight Rayearth
Legend of Oasis II

Then
Vampire Hunter - Darkstalkers Revenge
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Marvel Super Heroes
Virtua Fighter 2
Nights
Fighters Megamix
Sega Rally

and if you have the CRT's Virtua Cop 1 & 2 with light gun

Apparently there is something like "Samsung Saturns", see here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230393764&postcount=15297

That kind of multivoltage power supply is designed to handle both the lower 100/110/120V as well as the higher 220-240V used in Europe and elsewhere.

It's very common for voltage adapters to just handle a range of 20V, and especially with Japan being the only place in the world that has a 100V electrical system you really don't need to worry about it outside of like power tools.

That kind of multivoltage power supply is designed to handle both the lower 100/110/120V as well as the higher 220-240V used in Europe and elsewhere.

It's very common for voltage adapters to just handle a range of 20V, and especially with Japan being the only place in the world that has a 100V electrical system you really don't need to worry about it outside of like power tools.

... and Neo Geo CDs... and who knows what else.

Thanks for sharing that.

A fuse is only "incredibly simple to fix" for someone who knows what they're doing. ;-) Which, I assume, will be a minority of gamers.

Hope you do eventually manage to breath some new life in your console.

In the Saturn's case, it looks like the fuse will just pop out so all you would need to replace it is a screw driver and an equivalent fuse. It's not like the Sega CD which requires soldering. Also, I may have gotten the order of transformer and fuse wrong. I wrote that after I had closed everything up started going to bed. Regardless, the fuse is there to prevent to much current and the voltage regulator will convert excess voltage into heat. No need to worry about it too much as damage related to improper power should be limited to the front of the power circuit.

In the Saturn's case, it looks like the fuse will just pop out so all you would need to replace it is a screw driver and an equivalent fuse. It's not like the Sega CD which requires soldering. Also, I may have gotten the order of transformer and fuse wrong. I wrote that after I had closed everything up started going to bed. Regardless, the fuse is there to prevent to much current and the voltage regulator will convert excess voltage into heat. No need to worry about it too much as damage related to improper power should be limited to the front of the power circuit.

Even if it's just replacing the fuse with an equivalent one, I can imagine lots of people not knowing where to start. With any electrical appliance that breaks, most people are pretty much clueless. I would be too if it weren't for my dad who taught me a thing or two.

But yeah, it does sound simple enough, and even with different components in different models (or in the same model from different production lines) it does seem like you could potentially only damage the part where your console handles Vin.

I will feed my Japanese Saturn 100V though.

World Series Baseball II?

It may not be a rare, ridiculously expensive game like most on that impressive list, but it is the best baseball game ever made.

I think I have that, I just listed my more high end games. I also forgot about dragon Force.

I'm thinking legend of oasis.

Laws00

So I might have said I got these a while ago but here are some pictures.

The first two top ones I got a US Saturn model 2 saturn some american games and a backup cart. All for 20 bucks from a friend lol

The last two I got off amazon

IMG_0019.jpg

That's how you know this bitch is legit
IMG_0020.jpg

And does anybody know what is on these 2 disc? I don't want to open :(

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

The first two top ones I got a US Saturn model 2 saturn some american games and a backup cart. All for 20 bucks from a friend lol

It's not a "disc 2", it's a 3D calendar.

The instructions on the back show how you have to set it up.

High five for the Rayearth. The US one is a lot more rare and has an iffy translation (one of WD's more... infantile). I have both and am keeping both, but the JP one is much cheaper and can easily be played without knowing Japanese.

Plus the voices.

Man, that calendar looks pretty cool. I love Clockwork Knight. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that.

High five for the Rayearth. The US one is a lot more rare and has an iffy translation (one of WD's more... infantile). I have both and am keeping both, but the JP one is much cheaper and can easily be played without knowing Japanese.

Plus the voices.

I agree 100 %. It's a great Zelda-clone but there's no reason to spend the asking price for the US version. It's still fun and playable if you don't know Japanese. The only reason the US version is so expensive is a mix of the WD tax and that it was the last game released for the system. Why pay for rarity if there's a perfectly playable equivalent from Japan at a fraction of the cost?

eXistor

Some more Saturn games. I've got one more on the way, but after that I'm gonna have to cut back for a while. March is expensive enough as it is (Switch, Zelda).

5GKChek.jpg

Nice pickups but but I'd specifically recommend PS1 over Saturn for those particular games. The old Konami arcade ports output a correct resolution and aspect ratio on PS1, and In the Hunt just happens to be a better port on the Sony platform.

I still have Salamander on Saturn due to the price disparity, but I was lucky enough to trade my In the Hunt for the PS1 version.

Nice pickups but but I'd specifically recommend PS1 over Saturn for those particular games. The old Konami arcade ports output a correct resolution and aspect ratio on PS1, and In the Hunt just happens to be a better port on the Sony platform.

Good to know. Does that also go for Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack?

What is that submarine game? In the Hunt?

Yep, that's In The Hunt (Kaitei Daisensou) alright. ;-)

The cover of that Saturn release is much nicer than the PS1 one imo.

eXistor

I still have Salamander on Saturn due to the price disparity, but I was lucky enough to trade my In the Hunt for the PS1 version.

I don't have a JP Playstation and In the Hunt was cheaper this way. I know the Saturn version has some more slowdown though, which sucks. I didn't notice any weird resolution or aspect ratio issues with Salamander or Twinbee though. I just switched to Arcade instead of the full screen option which just stretches the image.

I don't have a JP Playstation and In the Hunt was cheaper this way. I know the Saturn version has some more slowdown though, which sucks. I didn't notice any weird resolution or aspect ratio issues with Salamander or Twinbee though. I just switched to Arcade instead of the full screen option which just stretches the image.

Yeah, unfortunately on Saturn you have to decide if you want the correct resolution or the correct aspect ratio (with stretched graphics). That's because Saturn can't output the same arcade resolution that PS1 can.

piggychan

Good to know. Does that also go for Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack?

that UK version.. the censoring..

4467bedc-b1ce-4649-b4f4-06cd78a462d1.jpg

Yeah, unfortunately on Saturn you have to decide if you want the correct resolution or the correct aspect ratio (with stretched graphics). That's because Saturn can't output the same arcade resolution that PS1 can.

I noticed that the Sexy parodius had a higher resolution on the saturn over the arcade.

Saoshyant

That, Sir, is not a UK version! It's a USK version! ;-)

I had no idea those logos were already pestering cover art in the Saturn era...

AFAIK, from all I own, the few sporting it are either a sticker placed at a later date by distributor/retailer in Germany or a small logo at the back on the final PAL relases. Nothing as evil as what came after.

IrishNinja

damn, ya'll cant let a man post/mention salamander deluxe without harping on the PSX res, as if it's a botched port here

for real though, nice pickups!

Laws00

I don't know what it is but I have no problems paying the price they want for their items, it's when it comes to shipping I have a problem with.

I'm going to post this in the arcade stick thread but I would like to know which of the 3 of these is the best arcade stick?

All signs pointing towards the Hori stick, 2nd the virtua stick, followed by the joystick

I don't know what it is but I have no problems paying the price they want for their items, it's when it comes to shipping I have a problem with.

I'm going to post this in the arcade stick thread but I would like to know which of the 3 of these is the best arcade stick?

All signs pointing towards the Hori stick, 2nd the virtua stick, followed by the joystick
For what it's worth, the earlier models of the HSS-0136 have an arcade-spec Sanwa JLW lever in it. That would be my pick of the 3, but at this point it's probably a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll actually get that version (unless the seller is willing to unscrew the bottom plate and check for you).

Wereroku

Let's say you own
Guardian heroes
Albert Odyssey
Shining Force 3
Die hard arcade
Panzer dragoon 1&2
Astal
Powerslave
Duke nukem
Quake

Magic Knight Rayearth
The other Shining games
Saturn Bomberman

Saturn games have gotten way to pricey wish I had gotten Shining Force 3 and PDS when they were new but sadly I was to young and didn't have any extra cash.

Edit: Also apparently DragonForce is super fun.

D.Lo

I have the Hori stick, have used it for many years on Saturn and DC/Xbox via an adapter.

It's a solid slightly mushy/stiff stick, 7/10. I'm sure stick fanatics would find it not up to scratch, but I prefer it's slight stiffness to very loose microswitches on premium sticks.

People after In the Hunt should note that it's a bit of pot luck whether it'll work. Apparently there was a bad run that was never recalled, which have trouble booting. A friend of mine has a copy that doesn't work at all, even though it's said you can have more luck trying to boot it from the Saturn CD player screen.

TeaJay

I got a HSS-0136 and it's been wonderful on the Saturn. I also tried the other two models, the fighting stick was alright, but mine was kinda worn out, and it was clearly not as good as the Virtua stick. I'd downright avoid the 3rd one, the basic controller is better.

Leynos

People after In the Hunt should note that it's a bit of pot luck whether it'll work. Apparently there was a bad run that was never recalled, which have trouble booting. A friend of mine has a copy that doesn't work at all, even though it's said you can have more luck trying to boot it from the Saturn CD player screen.

Is this separate from the bug that keeps you from getting out of the start screen? I had that issue with my old copy, and it evidently can be solved by keeping the controller unplugged until the start screen.

D.Lo

Don't quote me on it, but I believe that issue is for the US version, and only oval button Saturns have the issue?

Also people complain about the slowdown in the Saturn version, but it more closely matches the arcade, at least compared to mame. Even with slowdown turned on in the PS1 version it has less than the arcade version. Which may be a good thing, but it is less accurate.

MikeMyers

Plus the voices.

Rayearth is on my too buy list for sure. I just haven't got much time to play anything lately. :/

Laws00

Plus the voices.

Ya I always wanted that game. I had a chance to but it when my favorite game mom and pop store was closing down for 30 bucks. I just wasnt interested in it at the time.

Also thanks for the advice guys on the sticks.

piggychan

o_O slightly off topic but I think there is another issue with a pc engine game by IREM called Sol Moonarge. I've been playing this JRPG and got to a point where the game cuts to a scene and doesn't load anymore. I tried using several different system cards and swapping around controllers and it keeps freezing in the same spot. I've also purchased 2 more of the same game and now all 3 copies keep freezing on the same spot! All these copies have the original sky blue spine card!

There is also another version that was released with a gold spine card but that one is like 3 x the price but I can't find no guarantee that it will be playable to the end!

eXistor

Is this separate from the bug that keeps you from getting out of the start screen? I had that issue with my old copy, and it evidently can be solved by keeping the controller unplugged until the start screen.

Yeah, the game didn't work on my system, but unplugging the controller before start-up fixes that. Weird bug, but hey the game works now. Thankfully I knew about this before I bought it because who would think to do that otherwise?

Galdelico

Yeah, the game didn't work on my system, but unplugging the controller before start-up fixes that. Weird bug, but hey the game works now. Thankfully I knew about this before I bought it because who would think to do that otherwise?
It's not the only game that acts weird with controllers/some controllers: Japanese Golden Axe - The Duel won't even boot, if an analog controller is plugged in.

It's not the only game that acts weird with controllers/some controllers: Japanese Golden Axe - The Duel won't even boot, if an analog controller is plugged in.

Golden Axe 2 won't work with a 6 button controller unless you hold the mode button on startup. What is it about that series?

Top Bottom