• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

TJ is without a doubt more popular and more well known than MM when that fight is being set up and fighting a bigger name is always a chance to make more money. This isn't even debatable as buy rates show this historically.

Whatever dude, find as many stupid reasons as you want to talk shit about MM. The guy is fun to watch. End of story.

Whatever dude, find as many stupid reasons as you want to talk shit about MM. The guy is fun to watch. End of story.

I'm not talking shit. There's a reason why MM headline fights were moved to tv. And still got poor numbers.

You find his fights fun, by all means, enjoy. I find his fights and the Flyweight division in general like having a little piece of Bellator inside the UFC.

Heel

I agree with Jest Chillin. Now that Mighty Mouse has become "the greatest fighter of all time", maybe he can fight someone we've actually heard of.

I don't trust this timeline coming from MM at all. It's at odds with things he's said in the past and even when discussing some of the elements you mention here, he's completely at odds.

Right off the bat you're going to give the UF fucking C the benefit of the doubt over MM? Oh, boy.

Doesn't want TJ fight unless he gets guaranteed purse AND doesn't have to fight even a replacement if TJ doesn't make weight.

DJ is the champion and was about to make his 11th defence. Like he and his head coach said, the UFC were pushing some regional promotion bullshit. "Hey, fight this guy that's never fought at your weight class, if he doesn't make it you can just fight a backup."

That's straight up ridiculous. So DJ would have to prepare for two very different opponents just in case? Are you seriously not recognising how ridiculous that sounds?

Claims it's because rankings should have meaning. But he wants Pettis (ranked lower than Borg)

He does care about rankings. Pettis was ranked and looked really good in his most recent performances.

Pettis was arguably more worthy than Borg, and definitely more so than TJ, who had never fought at the weight.

OR would take Garbrandt (with no missed weight stipulation) because Champion.

Yes, with the stipulation of a multi million dollar payday.

Claims not to care about his professional legacy to Ariel (paraphasing; "my kids are my legacy") but previously put out statements clearing talking about how big a deal his 11th straight defense would be.

I am regretting this.

DJ said his children as his legacy, not his fighting career.

That doesn't mean he doesn't care about his fighting career, or breaking records.

Everyone who pays attention knows that the UFC isn't going to take your wants into account unless you're putting asses in seats.

And it's to be expected to a degree, but there is a point where they are straight up disrespect and they reached that point with DJ.

That's why DJ went on record with his statement.

Dana's always been bullish in the way he handles the business. But as much as that's true MM's own statements leading up to the fight being finally set have no consistency. So like most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

No.

Dana White is a notorious liar and bully.

What the are you thinking with this both sides shit when it comes to him of all goddamn people?

Facts that are relevant:
MM complained about not getting pushed and not being paid well.

He was offered a fight against a more popular fighter that would give him a huge visual boost along with which comes the opportunity of more money if he impresses. He refused it outright then asked for the ridiculous make-weight stipulation that would mean if TJ was even a lb off then the card loses an entire fight. That type of deal has never, ever been done. For anyone.

Tyler Jeffery Dillashaw is not a draw.

He has never been draw.

He likely never will be a draw.

In fact, I'd bet DJ is a bigger name than he is just based on how huge the discussion is when it comes to his ranking amongst the GOATs.

MM then requests Ray Borg who almost no one has paid any attention to because he's middle of the road in a division comprised of middle of the road.

DJ never asked for the Borg fight.

He wanted Pettis.

The UFC insisted on Borg.

Are you even reading?

These are not things that make MM an endearing figure. When all is said and done I still don't care about MM and I still know UFC/Dana are staying status quo dicks w/ the business.

You sound like every meathead on YouTube calling DJ a pussy for not wanting to take a fight without due stipulations. It's goddamn ridiculous how many of you are happy to play corporate cheerleader and still buy into whatever bullshit Dana White and the UFC put out.

Right off the bat you're going to give the UF fucking C the benefit of the doubt over MM? Oh, boy.

Didn't say that. In fact, said the opposite later in my post. But since you want to do this petty ass split-the-post-up reply stuff to try to remove context, I guess I'll have to repeat myself in addition to pointing out all the places where you're trying to put words in my mouth.

DJ is the champion and was about to make his 11th defence. Like he and his head coach said, the UFC were pushing some regional promotion bullshit. "Hey, fight this guy that's never fought at your weight class, if he doesn't make it you can just fight a backup."

You mean shit like Conor getting a title shot at LW? Or Brock getting introduced and leaped over half the division? Or the many myriad of fights where challengers who have questionable records but get on a quick hot streak get leapfrogged over the division for shots like Holly Holm v. Rhonda or Pettis v. Henderson 1? Oh.. I guess that doesn't fit with you pushing this "MM gets the ultimate disrespect" angle though...

And getting a replacement fighter on short notice is not at all new or unique in the UFC. Shit happens constantly and yes, it even happens on fight night.

That's straight up ridiculous. So DJ would have to prepare for two very different opponents just in case? Are you seriously not recognising how ridiculous that sounds?

No. A decent stipulation would be that if TJ misses weight the title is off the line and MM gets a portion of TJ's purse. No fight at all AND the whole purse is ludicrous and not a legitimate attempt at negotiation.

He does care about rankings. Pettis was ranked and looked really good in his most recent performances.

Pettis was arguably more worthy than Borg, and definitely more so than TJ, who had never fought at the weight.

Pettis is lower ranked than Borg, even now. Stop it.

Yes, with the stipulation of a multi million dollar payday.

Except DJ claims he believes him v. Garbrandt would be a payday but later says that since Garbrandt wouldn't sell then TJ wouldn't sell either.

Dana told me he wanted me to fight TJ, which I disagreed with for multiple reasons. First, TJ has never fought at flyweight and is unlikely to make the weight, which would then eliminate the possibility of breaking the title defense record. Second, they have already told me that a fight between Cody and I wouldn't be sellable, so fighting TJ would have no monetary upside.

So.. which is it?

I am regretting this.

DJ said his children as his legacy, not his fighting career.

That doesn't mean he doesn't care about his fighting career, or breaking records.

Said his children are his legacy not his fighting career... but also said..

”It's a big opportunity for myself (to break the record), it's a big thing I have been striving for for a very long time. I think for any champion in the UFC or any champion in any sport. Think of Michael Phelps (Olympic swimmer) and the first time he won a gold medal in the Olympics, I bet you he wanted to comeback and do it again, again, again. Even though it was four years apart. So for me, getting to ten (title defenses) is a monumental stone itself, going to eleven is a Star Trek ship going where no man has ever tried before," says Johnson to Fightful.com correspondent Kendrick Johnson

A monumental stone. Going where no man has ever tried before. That's not about career legacy at all.

And it's to be expected to a degree, but there is a point where they are straight up disrespect and they reached that point with DJ.

That's why DJ went on record with his statement.

He says multiple times in that statement that the fight was already set with Borg when the UFC tries to force him to take TJ... and yet he also said...

Just so the world know I haven't agreed to anything still waiting on my contract to fight @tazmexufc not @TJDillashaw if he wants a title

— Demetrious Johnson (@MightyMouseUFC) May 24, 2017

So, no, there wasn't a contract in place. He also alleges that the UFC didn't try to push him.. despite the fact that the UFC had him headline 4 ppv's. 2 of which did 115k. The third 125k. The fourth barely squeeked in at 205k. He also headlined several free tv cards that did horrible ratings. He got a ton of pushes. He doesn't help promote himself (or didn't until he stirred all this up anyways) and fights guys no one knows. Like Borg.

And as a bonus... when TJ started a twitter poll to ask fans who they'd rather see MM fight... Borg himself tweets

@TJDillashaw @MightyMouseUFC Lol of course fans are going to choose you, look at how much more established you are than me.

— Ray Borg (@tazmexufc) May 24, 2017

No.

Dana White is a notorious liar and bully.

What the are you thinking with this both sides shit when it comes to him of all goddamn people?

Don't even try to poison the well by attributing the phrase "both sides" to me. What I said was that when there are two different accounts that don't add up the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Tyler Jeffery Dillashaw is not a draw.

He has never been draw.

He likely never will be a draw.

In fact, I'd bet DJ is a bigger name than he is just based on how huge the discussion is when it comes to his ranking amongst the GOATs.

I said TJ was a bigger name and more popular fighter. And he absolutely was at the time this negotiation was happening, which is the time that actually matters. This was before Jones popped hot and obviously before MM started making noise complaining in interviews trying to argue his case for mistreatment. People were largely ignoring the entire Flyweight division.

DJ never asked for the Borg fight.

He wanted Pettis.

Are you even reading?

This is not rocket science. He asked for Pettis. That got shut down. He supposedly verbally agrees to Borg but simultaneously asks for Garbrandt. Garbrandt gets injured and TJ steps up and says he'll fight MM. Then MM falls back on Borg... going as far as tweeting that he's waiting on the contract for Borg and won't fight TJ. That's pushing for the Borg fight over the TJ fight. That's asking for Borg.

You sound like every meathead on YouTube calling DJ a pussy for not wanting to take a fight without due stipulations. It's goddamn ridiculous how many of you are happy to play corporate cheerleader and still buy into whatever bullshit Dana White and the UFC put out.

You're getting so wrapped up in DJ's persecution complex that you're attributing a stance to me that I'm not taking. Nobody is being a corporate cheerleader here. I can acknowledge that the UFC does shitty things with it's matchmaking and simultaneously not feel bad for MM for not getting paid massive amounts because he's not fighting in a stacked division and had been doing little to nothing to help promote himself. This isn't an either/or situation no matter how much you want to frame it that way.

I didn't say or insinuate that DJ is a pussy or anything along those lines. I don't consider him GOAT for a record built on guys that aren't top tier. And taking the Borg fight to cement a record doesn't help his case for GOAT in my book. That's not analogous to being a pussy. You're going out there, being extra extra with these replies.

People dont like Ferguson. Im shocked! See, you can be a good fighter but a poor draw. Tony better take those PR classes. He needs to listen to himself.

GSP/Bisping (GSP is the A-side!) will do decent numbers.

brentech

CaringElementaryAngora.gif

Since BJ can't win at 145 he may as well challenge GSP again. He needs to be thinking about securing the record for most consecutive losses in the UFC.

Didn't say that. In fact, said the opposite later in my post. But since you want to do this petty ass split-the-post-up reply stuff to try to remove context, I guess I'll have to repeat myself in addition to pointing out all the places where you're trying to put words in my mouth.

Bruh. This is you
Dana's always been bullish in the way he handles the business. But as much as that's true MM's own statements leading up to the fight being finally set have no consistency. So like most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

That nonsense stance and belief you think DJ is being contradictory means that the UFC can't be completely off is giving the UFC the benefit of the doubt.

You mean shit like Conor getting a title shot at LW?

For one, I don't think Conor deserved a title shot at 155 after going 1-1 with Nate, however:

Conor moved up to his natural weight class he had previously fought in. He was a champ at that weight in another organisation.

He's also Conor fucking McGregor.

Or Brock getting introduced and leaped over half the division?

Same deal as Conor. It's not right, but it's Brock fucking Lesnar and there was no potential weight issue.

Or the many myriad of fights where challengers who have questionable records but get on a quick hot streak get leapfrogged over the division for shots like Holly Holm v. Rhonda or Pettis v. Henderson 1? Oh.. I guess that doesn't fit with you pushing this "MM gets the ultimate disrespect" angle though...

Bruh none of these people defending the belt for the record breaking time. These comparisons fall flat on their faces.

And getting a replacement fighter on short notice is not at all new or unique in the UFC. Shit happens constantly and yes, it even happens on fight night.

It's not new, but that doesn't mean DJ has to agree to that bullshit.

Jon Jones refused to fight at 151. That was his right.

Conor agreed to fight Mendes when Aldo pulled out. That was his right.

DJ shouldn't be pressured to have to prepare for two different opponents. It's clown shoes.

No. A decent stipulation would be that if TJ misses weight the title is off the line and MM gets a portion of TJ's purse. No fight at all AND the whole purse is ludicrous and not a legitimate attempt at negotiation.

The UFC fuck about playing hard ball with DJ, with Dana even going so far as trying to imply to the media that he's afraid to fight TJ, and you have a problem with DJ playing hard ball right back? Bruh. This corporate loyalty is unsightly.

Pettis is lower ranked than Borg, even now. Stop it.

Bruh, I am actually going to quote DJ's statement so you actually read.

DJ said:
UFC Matchmaker Mick Maynard called and offered the fight vs. Ray Borg. I thought [Sergio] Pettis was a more marketable name and on a longer winning streak. Mick went back to Dana, then came back and told us that I had no choice, it was going to be Ray Borg, not Pettis, and there were no other options. That was the command from Dana and company.

For the first fight he'd get PPV points on, DJ asked for the #'4 guy instead of the #3 guy because the #4 guy looked great in recent performances and was on a longer streak. There's nothing unreasonable at all. Even more so considering he took the Borg fight anyway.

Except DJ claims he believes him v. Garbrandt would be a payday but later says that since Garbrandt wouldn't sell then TJ wouldn't sell either.

So.. which is it?

Are you allergic to context or just illiterate? This literally contradicts no one but you.

DJ wanted to fight Cody.

The UFC said that fight wouldn't sell.

Then they try to push TJ on him arguing that that fight would sell? Christ.

Said his children are his legacy not his fighting career... but also said..

A monumental stone. Going where no man has ever tried before. That's not about career legacy at all.

In no way, shape or form does DJ caring more about his children mean he doesn't care about his career.

Nor does it mean that the fact DJ consider his children his true legacy mean that he doesn't care about any milestones or records or uncharted territories he uncovers in fighting.

He says multiple times in that statement that the fight was already set with Borg when the UFC tries to force him to take TJ... and yet he also said...

So, no, there wasn't a contract in place. He also alleges that the UFC didn't try to push him.. despite the fact that the UFC had him headline 4 ppv's. 2 of which did 115k. The third 125k. The fourth barely squeeked in at 205k. He also headlined several free tv cards that did horrible ratings. He got a ton of pushes. He doesn't help promote himself (or didn't until he stirred all this up anyways) and fights guys no one knows. Like Borg.

You ever heard of the term verbal agreement?

DJ conceded and committed to fighting Borg.

Then the UFC tried to change the bout while he was waiting on his contract.

They clearly had no respect for DJ after pressuring him to take the one fight, and then changing their minds because Tyler Jeffery fucking Dillashaw wanted to fight DJ in a weight class he's never fought before.

This whole issue was about much more than DJ fighting the rightful challenger. It was about principles beyond that.

And as a bonus... when TJ started a twitter poll to ask fans who they'd rather see MM fight... Borg himself tweets

What point is it that you think you are making?

I would love to see DJ fight TJ. I'd take that fight over DJ/Borg any day of the week.

That doesn't mean I am in favour of the UFC riding roughshod over DJ's career and dicking him about.

Don't even try to poison the well by attributing the phrase "both sides" to me. What I said was that when there are two different accounts that don't add up the truth is somewhere in the middle.

You are literally doing it over and over again.

I said TJ was a bigger name and more popular fighter. And he absolutely was at the time this negotiation was happening, which is the time that actually matters. This was before Jones popped hot and obviously before MM started making noise complaining in interviews trying to argue his case for mistreatment. People were largely ignoring the entire Flyweight division.

Bruh.

This shit all happened like 4 months ago.

I'd bet you DJ was a bigger name then. In fact, I'd bet you he was the bigger name for quite a while before that.

This is not rocket science. He asked for Pettis. That got shut down. He supposedly verbally agrees to Borg but simultaneously asks for Garbrandt. Garbrandt gets injured and TJ steps up and says he'll fight MM. Then MM falls back on Borg... going as far as tweeting that he's waiting on the contract for Borg and won't fight TJ. That's pushing for the Borg fight over the TJ fight. That's asking for Borg.

Apparently it is to you considering your struggling so hard to understand this very simple situation of disrespect leading to a boiling point.

DJ asked for Garbrandt and was told no because it wouldn't sell.

TJ didn't "step up." He started making noise because he saw an opportunity for a shot at a belt. You're framing this like he was putting himself in unfavourable position, when he wasn't.

DJ didn't fall back on Borg, he refused to fight yet another fighter the UFC pushed on him with any input on his end. He was sick of being pushed around and simply being told what to do despite his record as a champ.
DJ said:
I can’t think of any other sports organization in the world that has the best player in the sport where the league, or the organization, doesn’t market that player to their loyal fan base to sell more of their product. Look at my track record for showing up to fights. Look at my track record of finishing fights. Look at my track record of getting fight night bonuses. Ask yourself if you think that if the UFC decided to truly put marketing dollars behind me that they couldn’t sell me or my fights.

You're getting so wrapped up in DJ's persecution complex that you're attributing a stance to me that I'm not taking.

Nah, your stance is pretty clear.

Nobody is being a corporate cheerleader here. I can acknowledge that the UFC does shitty things with it's matchmaking and simultaneously not feel bad for MM for not getting paid massive amounts because he's not fighting in a stacked division and had been doing little to nothing to help promote himself. This isn't an either/or situation no matter how much you want to frame it that way.

You've demonstrated quite clearly you are exactly a corporate cheerleader. Miss me with this "the truth is somewhere in the middle" aka "both sides" shit.

I didn't say or insinuate that DJ is a pussy or anything along those lines. I don't consider him GOAT for a record built on guys that aren't top tier. And taking the Borg fight to cement a record doesn't help his case for GOAT in my book. That's not analogous to being a pussy. You're going out there, being extra extra with these replies.

No, just that he was refusing to fight Dillashaw under any circumstances - even though that isn't true.

Ain't nothing extra to this. You playing corporate cheerleader and refusing to wear that badge even though you've earned it.

Top Bottom