• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom love me

pswii60

They love me so much they quote my threads/posts in their presentation:

175717018020071018222314.jpg

HERE:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7259937&postcount=1

pswii60 said:
I was having a think about XBLA and PSN - and from next year WiiWare. We may start to see publishers leading on the downloadable platforms which do not mirror the leaders in the retail SKU market.

So, Which third party publisher do you think will become the leader in downloadable games this generation?

Here's some food for thought:

Capcom are in my opinion, destined to become the leader this generation. This is simply because unlike other publishers, they seem to have really thought about using their suitable IP to make compelling content which ideally fits the concept of downloadable games. Street Fighter HD / Puzzle Fighter HD are early examples of this, but with rumours of Megaman and Bionic Commando getting HD remakes, along with other games like Rocketmen, I think Capcom are going to make a real early dent in the market before the end of 2007.

If you'd have asked me two years ago, I would have said SEGA, purely and simply because they have some of the biggest IPs around which are perfectly suited to the "pick-up-and-play" nature of XBLA and PSN. In particular, Crazy Taxi, Super Monkey Ball, Outrun, 18 Wheeler etc. But instead, they decided to wait 18 months before even bringing retro emulated Sonic and Golden Axe to XBLA and have shown no signs of doing anything more than these 'vintage game' re-releases, mirroring Wii's Virtual Console. Unless SEGA have secretly been working away on something for the last year, I can only assume they missed the train and Capcom are 10 stations further down the track.

While EA are the leader in the retail SKU market, they've commited to nothing other than picking up a couple of titles (Wing Commander Arena was likely something else before they renamed it, Boom Boom Rocket was likely already in development). And these two titles have sucked, hard, and haven't exactly set sales records. EA definitely didn't see the potential in downloadable games as they should. And Activision? Are they doing anything?

Then we've got other third parties, like Sierra Online who have made some real effort so far, both with the decent Assault Heroes and the pretty awful 3d Mini Golf Adventures. But with Switchball, Battlestar Gallactica and the Incredible Machine on the way, I expect Sierra to also make a decent sized dent in the market, although the IP (outside of BG) is pretty weak on a commercial scale. And Eidos, D3 Publisher and Codemasters also look to be getting in to the market with some titles for 2007.

EDIT: Not to forget Konami (XBLA - retro stuff only so far), Namco (again XBLA retro only), Midway (PSN and XBLA retro), Hudson (XBLA Bomberman), Empire (Double Dragon) and of course how could I forget PopCap who have produced and published probably the most profitable XBLA games so far (high sales of Zuma, Bejeweled, Heavy Weapon, Astro Pop, Feeding Frenzy etc).

:lol

jarrod

Banned
If only they'd make some of that content themselves. :/

C'mon Inafune, give us UGG, Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X for XBLA/PSN! :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
out of context that quote reads like viral marketing -- i was wondering if it was a case of capcom -> gaf -> capcom -> gaf :lol

but i guess it's just one of those 'analysis' posts. congrats, anyway

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
First we appear in game credits
Then we are quoted by mainstream press
Now companies are quoting us in Media presentations

It's only a matter of time before a parody is done of us

X26

Banned
that's great, too bad they didn't give you direct credit though (with your username it would have worked to their advantage)

Ryu

Jocchan said:
Nice contribution to society!

HAHAHAHA. After reading the OP, my reply was going to be "Contribution to society - fulfilled!" Beaten by a mile. Nicely done.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Capcom truly is one of the most unique and innovative game developers, and publishers in the industry today. They have sealed their place in the electronic hall of fame, but that does not slow them down one bit as they continue to put out products that find a way to touch our souls and put awe in our hearts.

Capcom has the talent, and the business savvy, to make themselves number 1 this generation.

Raist

Banned
grandjedi6 said:

TROLLIN.jpg

?

grandjedi6 said:

You, the master of unlocking.

Arthursw1

grandjedi6 said:

It's only a matter of time before gaf takes control of the gaming industry!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
dallow_bg said:
Capcom truly is one of the most unique and innovative game developers, and publishers in the industry today. They have sealed their place in the electronic hall of fame, but that does not slow them down one bit as they continue to put out products that find a way to touch our souls and put awe in our hearts.

Capcom has the talent, and the business savvy, to make themselves number 1 this generation.

Only if they release Breath of Fire 6 in calender year 2008.

MCD

Maybe they can read this:

HAY CAPCOM, WHERE IS MY FUCKING BOF6, MML3, MM PU2 AND MM MHX2?

pswii60

dallow_bg said:

Only 9 months until E3, you never know..

Top Bottom